PDA

View Full Version : FS Croft 5C parallel EL84 Power Amp

Firebottle
30-12-2018, 08:53
For sale an excellent condition Croft 5C power amplifier.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2nuqhqt.jpg

Conservatively rated at 30W per channel but capable of 45W max output.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2eb4hn9.jpg

Uses parallel push pull EL84 valves, currently fitted with JJ's.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rf798z.jpg

This model has been converted to self biasing on the output valves, ensuring long and trouble free life.

http://i65.tinypic.com/maapea.jpg

£550 plus postage at cost.

Bigman80
30-12-2018, 13:38
Great price. I've heard this amp, if you are a valve amp lover, this is for you!

GLWS

Firebottle
01-01-2019, 07:56
New year bump

Colin2040
01-01-2019, 11:39
Can you describe the sound character of this amp? Not sure how to ask that but is it a traditional sort of valve etc etc if that makes sense? And I know it will run “warm” but how warm.

Thanks

Colin

Bigman80
01-01-2019, 11:46
Can you describe the sound character of this amp? Not sure how to ask that but is it a traditional sort of valve etc etc if that makes sense? And I know it will run “warm” but how warm.

Thanks

ColinCan I offer some input having heard it?

Here, it sounded very much like a Valve amp. Airy treble and Sweet midrange. The staples of good valve amps IMO.

Vocals were beautiful on Lily & Madeleine. 'Come to me' just sounded like angels pouring liquid from the speakers. Dramatic I know but it really was a sensory experience.

The treble was also very interesting. It retained the metallic quality I get with the Krell, which is excellent. There was also a little bit of shimmer which I liked.

The bass or lower registers do all the things I've heard from previous valve amps. Full.

The money this is available for makes it a proper 'makes sense' purchase. Not many valve amps will beat this for £550.

Colin2040
01-01-2019, 12:07
Thanks , appreciated. I am looking for a valve amp but never owned a Croft. I haven’t had a valve amp for about two tears and feel I am miasin* the sound they produce. But also aware that not all valve amps are to my taste.
Colin

Bigman80
01-01-2019, 12:35
Thanks , appreciated. I am looking for a valve amp but never owned a Croft. I haven’t had a valve amp for about two tears and feel I am miasin* the sound they produce. But also aware that not all valve amps are to my taste.
ColinNo worries. It's a shame you're so far away as I am sure a demo wouldn't have been an issue.

I don't know what theres not to like about it to be honest.

I'm fussy about bass which is why valve amps haven't lasted here. I much prefer the muscle from the Krell so that's where I'll be staying. The Croft is really well built and looks and weighs like a quality piece. I know there were a few interested parties in this amp as they don't come around too often.

Firebottle
01-01-2019, 12:36
I have this on hold for a prospective purchaser, just waiting for confirmation.

SOLD stp

Colin2040
01-01-2019, 13:36
That’s fine I will keep an eye on the thread just in case. I like my bass as well but generally like the bits that valves do I think better and can live with the perceived reduced bass. However I once owned a lowly powered Oto and with the right speakers the bass was excellent. I think it’s more to do with partnering the right equipment.

Jimbo
01-01-2019, 13:38
That’s fine I will keep an eye on the thread just in case. I like my bass as well but generally like the bits that valves do I think better and can live with the perceived reduced bass. However I once owned a lowly powered Oto and with the right speakers the bass was excellent. I think it’s more to do with partnering the right equipment.

Or buy bigger speakers.

Bigman80
01-01-2019, 13:40
That’s fine I will keep an eye on the thread just in case. I like my bass as well but generally like the bits that valves do I think better and can live with the perceived reduced bass. However I once owned a lowly powered Oto and with the right speakers the bass was excellent. I think it’s more to do with partnering the right equipment.No lack of bass. None at all!

montesquieu
13-01-2019, 18:25
Alan most kindly brought this down to me today and we had a bit of a listening session. Most of this was focused on my main system kit, during which we slotted in an OTL amp that Alan had built, which while only 6w sounded rather nice with the big Tannoys. Subsequently we plugged in his Kin preamp with internal phono stage, which slotted in very nicely indeed and when switched to MM partnered very well with the Miyajima ETR-Stereo step-up. Very pleasant morning (even if Alan arrived earlier than I had anticipated!).

We didn't get round to listening to the Croft which - astonishing - is my first bit of Croft kit. I subsequently put it in the study system where it's absolutely superb with the smaller Tannoys.

Lovely to meet Alan at last and his good wife Shirley and delighted with the Croft.

Firebottle
13-01-2019, 21:25
Delighted to hear the Croft is doing the business in the study system.

Was great to meet up Tom, chew the cud on matters hi-fi, listen to some great music and spectacular kit.
A most excellent session.