PDA

View Full Version : HMV in trouble again.

Spectral Morn
28-12-2018, 10:04
Looks like HMV are once again in trouble. Will they go the way of HEAD, I hope not.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46699290

Wakefield Turntables
28-12-2018, 10:21
Oh dear, hope not but I suppose the smaller independent record shops might benefit from less competition, a poor silver lining I suppose :(.

Macca
28-12-2018, 10:53
Streaming is killing everything else. Simple as that. I think we'll always have a few little shops selling vinyl just like we will always have those little antique shops, that's a niche market that will persist. But high-street chain stores making a profit from selling physical media? No chance. It's all over bar the crying.

walpurgis
28-12-2018, 11:03
Shopping centres and high street retailers as we know them are doomed. There are no end of blocks and rows of shops being pulled down and replaced by big blocks of flats around here.

struth
28-12-2018, 11:17
things change i guess. like the spinning jenny and the raveling nancy. guessing they need to be productive in modern parlance and big stores in big towns isnt the answer. amazon lead the way, and although they are playing with the odd shop its on-line where the money is, and hmv just haven't managed to get their brand successfully on line

Macca
28-12-2018, 11:17
Food, clothes, gift cards, pawnbrokers, charity shops and 'personal grooming' shops are all that will be left soon. There's also the bookmakers but I reckon they will eventually be on-line only too.

Here they are re-purposing the old shops to accommodation rather than pulling them down. I'm curious to see what will happen to the 'retail parks'. You can't turn a big metal shed into flats so I guess at some point they will all be knocked down and housing estates built on them.

walpurgis
28-12-2018, 14:08
I was watching some plonker called Nico Macdonald (whoever he is) commenting about this on BBC News. He must have said "you know" twenty times during a couple of minutes of interview :rolleyes:.

Edward
28-12-2018, 14:16
HMV - dear to my heart.

First ever proper holiday job. Spent about month there between term times Christmas (probably 1972). HMV Oxford Street store - massively busy. All vinyl except for small selection of 8 track stuff. Upstairs in the classical section lots of R2R stuff.

Spectral Morn
28-12-2018, 15:11
Sadly if HMV go, Fopp will go as well :(

For me there will be no reason to go up to Belfast if HMV goes, there just aren't enough shops there now to draw me up.

Who would ever have thought people would buy the Emperors New Clothes, pay for something you don't actually own, or exists. I hate it :(

Macca
28-12-2018, 15:17
Who would ever have thought people would buy the Emperors New Clothes, pay for something you don't actually own, or exists. I hate it :(

Yep. Living in the future sucks (except for the giant tellys of course). But look on the bright side, the streaming services are losing more money each year than the (new) HMV started with and there's no end in sight to that so they might all close down as well before long. :D

Dr Winston O Boogie
28-12-2018, 15:46
Just been in my local HMV, it was heaving, much the same as always?

tapid
28-12-2018, 16:04
Yeah the save the planet brigade I recon most of them are shopping online and helping to cause the problem with packaging, transport cost etc adding to global warming. Get ones backside into gear and go to the shops I say.
Its the old saying I think everybody knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Macca
28-12-2018, 17:21
Yeah the save the planet brigade I recon most of them are shopping online and helping to cause the problem with packaging, transport cost etc adding to global warming. .

But then all that tat still has to get to the shop to be sold in the first place, the staff have to travel to it to work in it, the punters have to travel to it to buy from it. The shop has to be lighted, heated and have fixtures and fittings (that they are always changing). Home delivery where one bloke drives round in one van and drops everything off actually uses less resources -assuming enough people are doing it. Which they are.

tapid
28-12-2018, 17:35
But then all that tat still has to get to the shop to be sold in the first place, the staff have to travel to it to work in it, the punters have to travel to it to buy from it. The shop has to be lighted, heated and have fixtures and fittings (that they are always changing). Home delivery where one bloke drives round in one van and drops everything off actually uses less resources -assuming enough people are doing it. Which they are.
But the alternative is horribly boarded up high streets, people losing there jobs and who wants that ?. Whats nicer than going to a shop and seeing what your interested in rather than looking at a soulless screen.

Macca
28-12-2018, 18:07
But the alternative is horribly boarded up high streets, people losing there jobs and who wants that ?. Whats nicer than going to a shop and seeing what your interested in rather than looking at a soulless screen.

I've never liked shopping, I hate going to the shops in fact so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

As for the boarded up shops I think we are in a transition phase at the moment where people think 'The High Street' will somehow revive, but it won't. Once that is realised change of use will be granted and they'll all be ripped down or converted into accommodation.

Audio Al
28-12-2018, 18:20
Sadly if HMV go, Fopp will go as well :(

For me there will be no reason to go up to Belfast if HMV goes, there just aren't enough shops there now to draw me up.

My thought as well , Pay for something invisable , not be able to sell it on ,cant hold it etc etc :(

willbewill
28-12-2018, 18:56

And streaming saves a heck of a lot of plastic production.

Audio Al
28-12-2018, 20:21
Looks like it's happened :(
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46699290

Dr Winston O Boogie
28-12-2018, 20:58
And streaming saves a heck of a lot of plastic production.

In which way?

Stratmangler
28-12-2018, 21:03
In which way?

No need for physical media of any sort.

Stratmangler
28-12-2018, 21:05
I was in HMV Manchester yesterday, and whilst there were loads of folk browsing, the queues at the tills were not exactly massive.
I couldn't find what was wanted on the racks, and left without making a purchase.
The required items have since been ordered on Amazon.

willbewill
28-12-2018, 21:09

Excactly

Stratmangler
28-12-2018, 21:15
I've never liked shopping, I hate going to the shops in fact so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

As for the boarded up shops I think we are in a transition phase at the moment where people think 'The High Street' will somehow revive, but it won't. Once that is realised change of use will be granted and they'll all be ripped down or converted into accommodation.

What happens in real life is that folk go into shops to finger the merchandise, then buy it on the internet from the one selling at the lowest price.
Not a practise that I like or do, but that's the reality of it.

If I check something out in a store I'll buy it there. It's only fair.

tapid
28-12-2018, 21:18
What happens in real life is that folk go into shops to finger the merchandise, then buy it on the internet to the one selling at the lowest cost.
As I said earlier they know the price of everything and the value of nothing !

Stratmangler
28-12-2018, 21:26
As I said earlier they know the price of everything and the value of nothing !

We're on the same team.
That said, once upon a time HMV was a part of an entity collectively known as "the Music Industry", and now they're just pedlars of software.
They are no longer a part in developing talent, and certainly do not support said talent to the same extent they did when I was my son's age (18YO).

Marco
28-12-2018, 21:47

I love shopping, *if* it's something nice/fun I like, which I'm shopping for. I can't stand shopping in supermarkets for boring everyday shite. But give me a nice town, with a proper (still thriving) high street, full of interesting shops (many privately owned), which still has 'soul', such as Shrewsbury, and I'll love it - especially if having a nice lunch there is part of the deal!:eyebrows:

No, as long as there are 'proper' towns left, such as described, then that's where I'll prefer to do my shopping. I'll use online only for certain things, because it's the practical way to buy them, or when I'm too old or frail to haul my ass into town (some way off yet).

Marco.

Barry
28-12-2018, 22:09
High business rates and the lack of plentiful, easy and cheap parking are two factors that are killing the 'high street'.

As for HMV - well it's been a comin' for a few years now. After a couple of bail outs and re-financing attemps, sadly I think this is the end. :(

Dr Winston O Boogie
28-12-2018, 22:32

Physical media as in BR etc is still light years ahead in terms picture quality. You are entirely in the hands of music providers for your downloads meaning you never actually have any ownership or control of your chosen media, if they decide to pull the plug, go bust, or loose copyright your stuffed.

Vinyl, CD, BR, are yours to keep and will far outlast any music/video providers.

Stratmangler
28-12-2018, 22:53
Physical media as in BR etc is still light years ahead in terms picture quality. You are entirely in the hands of music providers for your downloads meaning you never actually have any ownership or control of your chosen media, if they decide to pull the plug, go bust, or loose copyright your stuffed.

Vinyl, CD, BR, are yours to keep and will far outlast any music/video providers.

You care about it, I care about it, Joe Public couldn't give a flying wotsit...

Stratmangler
28-12-2018, 23:37
As folk are bemoaning the woes of HMV, I wonder how much they've spent in HMV in just the last 12 months.
Personally I have spent around £150.00 on CDs and LP records.

I'm including stuff that I've bought from FOPP too, as they're owned by the same company.

walpurgis
28-12-2018, 23:41
Not been in or bought from HMV since about 2006, so it actually makes not a lot of difference to me. The present and seemingly failed incarnation of HMV has nothing to do with the original brand.

southall-1998_mk2
29-12-2018, 00:24
Not been in or bought from HMV since about 2006, so it actually makes not a lot of difference to me. The present and seemingly failed incarnation of HMV has nothing to do with the original brand.

Ealing Broadway used to have a nice HMV. Remember that store using some old generation Bose 301 speakers.

S.

Spectral Morn
29-12-2018, 08:47
As folk are bemoaning the woes of HMV, I wonder how much they've spent in HMV in just the last 12 months.

I'm including stuff that I've bought from FOPP too, as they're owned by the same company.

Exact amount, I am not sure, but at a guess a few hundred pounds, DVDs, CDs, LPs. Over the years thousands.

Stratmangler
29-12-2018, 10:12
Exact amount, I am not sure, but at a guess a few hundred pounds, DVDs, CDs, LPs. Over the years thousands.

That's you and I spending with them.
To be honest I buy most records from Amazon - if they're faulty the returns policy is superb, and only costs a tiny portion of my time and however much it costs to print out a returns label.
From HMV and it has to be returned to a shop, and that costs a lot more in financial terms, never mind the time. I don't go into Manchester City Centre unless I have to.

I've bought most of the items this last year from the store in The Trafford Centre, which is somewhere I pass by quite often, and the parking is free. Manchester City Centre used to be free street parking from 12:30pm on a Saturday and free Sunday, but those days have been long gone.

Pete The Cat
29-12-2018, 10:26
An update quoted on today's BBC website says it all:

"Paul McGowan, executive chairman of HMV and its owner Hilco Capital, said: "Even an exceptionally well-run and much-loved business such as HMV cannot withstand the tsunami of challenges facing UK retailers over the last 12 months on top of such a dramatic change in consumer behaviour in the entertainment market."

He pointed out HMV sold 31% of all physical copies of music in the UK in 2018 and 23% of all DVDs and Blu-rays - and its market share had grown month by month throughout the year.

But he added that the industry consensus was that the market would fall by another 17% during 2019 and therefore it would not be possible to continue to trade the business."

So, they had roughly a third of the market and were growing. In most industries that would be a success story...trouble is their market's disappearing at an even quicker rate.

I do wonder about the sustainability of streaming though. Where does it leave you if your streaming provider hikes the subscription, or the record labels fall out with the streaming services, or cyber attack ? Is it unrealistic to suggest that those who have dispensed with physical media could find themselves with no music ? I don't think it's all that far-fetched to contemplate :scratch:

Pete

Stratmangler
29-12-2018, 10:46
I do wonder about the sustainability of streaming though

There's always the possibility of your being left high and dry if your only source is a server somewhere on the internet.

I've been streaming music for over a decade, and I have a local library on a NAS box on the network.
The majority of my streaming material is within the house.
I don't have a CD player any more.
I buy lots of CDs (frequently 2nd hand from Amazon marketplace sellers, and for pennies - it costs more in postage & packaging than it does for the item), and rip them to the NAS.

Spectral Morn
29-12-2018, 11:03
That's you and I spending with them.
To be honest I buy most records from Amazon - if they're faulty the returns policy is superb, and only costs a tiny portion of my time and however much it costs to print out a returns label.
From HMV and it has to be returned to a shop, and that costs a lot more in financial terms, never mind the time. I don't go into Manchester City Centre unless I have to.

I've bought most of the items this last year from the store in The Trafford Centre, which is somewhere I pass by quite often, and the parking is free. Manchester City Centre used to be free street parking from 12:30pm on a Saturday and free Sunday, but those days have been long gone.

In Belfast we used to have Our Price (Gone), Virgin (Gone), HMV (Maybe Gone), Good Vibrations (Currently Gone), Dr Roberts (Gone), Head (Gone), Premiere Records (still there) Dragon Records (Still There) Heroes and Villains (Gone), Golden Discs (Gone), Making Tracks (Gone), Sun Records (Gone), Harrison Musique (Gone), Caroline Music (Gone), Time Slip Records (Still There), Hectors House (Gone), Knights Record Library (Gone), Gramophone shop (Gone) Underground Records (Still there), Sick Records (Gone) and no doubt a few I have forgotten. Not all traded at the same time, but there was overlap with many and now Belfast is a poor place for new music, movie sales.

Back in the 80s and 90s I could spend an entire day in Belfast browsing in the record shops, and book shops and I mourn that lost time. I miss it, a lot.

I do use Amazon, but only for items I cannot buy anywhere else, rare stuff and only from Market Place sellers. I try hard to support bricks and mortar business and I much prefer buying what I can see and handle. Buying online often removes chance discovery, as it requires putting in a search, and the random chance of finding something you did not know about, or had forgotten about is lost, plus there is the loss of talking with fellow music enthusiasts, staff etc. Where are the days of going to the record shops with friends and coming back with purchases to listen to and discuss.

This is for me now is a shallow poor world.

Macca
29-12-2018, 11:36
Somehow it all had more meaning when there was no way to listen to a new record without actually leaving the house and going somewhere to track it down.

I recall back in about 1990 Neil Young bringing out 'Ragged Glory' and a mate dropping round mine with it on his way home from the record shop to give me a listen. We were all poor and buying an album was a big deal. Like a cavemen making a kill that would feed the family for a month. People would gather round to see it (or listen to it in this case). It was a thing of wonder. A big record collection was an awe-inspiring achievement. Now everyone has access to 3 million albums at the press of a button. And some people actually think that's a good thing!

Spectral Morn
29-12-2018, 11:45
Somehow it all had more meaning when there was no way to listen to a new record without actually leaving the house and going somewhere to track it down.

I recall back in about 1990 Neil Young bringing out 'Ragged Glory' and a mate dropping round mine with it on his way home from the record shop to give me a listen. We were all poor and buying an album was a big deal. Like a cavemen making a kill that would feed the family for a month. People would gather round to see it (or listen to it in this case). It was a thing of wonder. A big record collection was an awe-inspiring achievement. Now everyone has access to 3 million albums at the press of a button. And some people actually think that's a good thing!

Its not :(

Macca
29-12-2018, 12:03
On the plus side we now have the internet where we can talk bollocks about music and hi-fi to people who are actually interested as opposed to boring the pants off of family and friends...

I'd never have the system I have now if it wasn't for the internet. Nor would we have had all the meet ups and bake offs and so forth. I've met a lot of good friends via this site. So there's an up side to it as well.

Stratmangler
29-12-2018, 12:07
On the plus side we now have the internet where we can talk bollocks about music and hi-fi to people who are actually interested as opposed to boring the pants off of family and friends...

I'd never have the system I have now if it wasn't for the internet. Nor would we have had all the meet ups and bake offs and so forth. I've met a lot of good friends via this site. So there's an up side to it as well.

This is the first time I've heard this rag tag bunch of misfits and miscreants described as an asset :eyebrows:

Barry
29-12-2018, 12:14

This year I think I have only spent about £50 on a couple of LPs. Sadly HMV no longer have the range of items that interest me.

Macca
29-12-2018, 12:24
This is the first time I've heard this rag tag bunch of misfits and miscreants described as an asset :eyebrows:

Well, maybe I was talking it up a little...

Pete The Cat
29-12-2018, 18:07
I haven't counted but I guess I've spent over £250 at HMV this year. They've sold me records from Sleep's "Holy Mountain" to Dusty Springfield's "Dusty In Memphis" and CDs from King Tubby's "The Dub Master" to Lana Del Ray's "Ultraviolence". And some 2018 releases...

The experience of buying an album is part of my engagement with it. Like when I was young...the saving up, the bus into town, the browsing through the racks from A to Z...it all enhances the experience in a faintly similar way to going to a gig. I just can't accept that clicking a mouse and taking a steer from an algorithm - I AM NOT EVERYONE ELSE! - is part of being into music. I can recall how I bought many of my physical album purchases but very few of the online ones.

And I love the smell of protective record sleeves...

Pete

struth
29-12-2018, 18:46
only bought 1 record from hmv since they reformed. their site wasnt great and prices no better and often worse than Juno or Amazon. Juno being my favorite supplier.

Marco
29-12-2018, 19:10
IThe experience of buying an album is part of my engagement with it. Like when I was young...the saving up, the bus into town, the browsing through the racks from A to Z...it all enhances the experience in a faintly similar way to going to a gig. I just can't accept that clicking a mouse and taking a steer from an algorithm - I AM NOT EVERYONE ELSE! - is part of being into music. I can recall how I bought many of my physical album purchases but very few of the online ones.

I completely agree, but there are far better places than HIV [sorry, HMV;)] to buy vinyl, namely privately-owned independent record shops [seek and you'll find some near you], where the shopping experience you (rightly) love will be *so* much better!!:trust:

Marco.

Barry
29-12-2018, 19:14
But all the privately-owned independant record shops near me closed down years ago. There is only HMV, and it was HMV that pushed said little shops, and not so little shops such as Our Price, out of business in the first place!

Marco
29-12-2018, 19:17
But all the privately-owned independant record shops near me closed down years ago...

Well that's your fault for living 'darn sarf'!:ner:;)

There are still plenty up here; two I can think of in Wrexham! Never mind Chester, Liverpool or Manchester..... Come to think of it, there are about four in Shrewsbury!

Marco.

struth
29-12-2018, 19:20
none around here that i know of. will be a few in the cities but i aint traveling all that way when i can let my fingers do the traveling.. got plenty vinyl here i can smell:eyebrows:

Marco
29-12-2018, 19:23
Oh looksee here, and in Chelmsford, too:

https://www.intenserecords.com/home.html

And this one's even in Great Baddow!!! http://www.vinylrevolutions.co.uk/ Shop, here: http://www.vinylrevolutions.co.uk/shop

:doh::lol:

You iz BLIND, boy.....

Marco.

Dr Winston O Boogie
29-12-2018, 19:27
only bought 1 record from hmv since they reformed. their site wasnt great and prices no better and often worse than Juno or Amazon. Juno being my favorite supplier.

Juno is fantastic.

Marco
29-12-2018, 19:31
none around here that i know of. will be a few in the cities but i aint traveling all that way when i can let my fingers do the traveling.. got plenty vinyl here i can smell:eyebrows:

There's one in Whitburn, mate: https://www.redheadmanretro.com/

Marco.

struth
29-12-2018, 19:35
There's one in Whitburn, mate: https://www.redheadmanretro.com/

Marco.

looks like mail order. dont see a address. Whitburn isnt very big, when Livingston centre tripled in size it killed all the shops around the county

Barry
29-12-2018, 19:39
Oh looksee here, and in Chelmsford, too:

https://www.intenserecords.com/home.html

And this one's even in Great Baddow!!! http://www.vinylrevolutions.co.uk/ Shop, here: http://www.vinylrevolutions.co.uk/shop

The first is an on-line business, and the second is pretty useless as well as being expensive (I know - I visited his place when he started up a couple of years ago in the corner of an antiques shop. It hasn't improved since.)

We do have record fares held in Chelmsford once a month, but they too are expensive and rarely have anything that interests me.

Marco
29-12-2018, 19:39
Just shows you though, what's around when you look beyond the end of yer nose!:eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
29-12-2018, 19:42
The first is an on-line business.....

And?? So is Amazon, and I believe you buy from them?;)

...and the second is pretty useless as well as being expensive (I know - I visited his place when he started up a couple of years ago in the corner of an antiques shop. It hasn't improved since.)

But that's not the point. You said that all the independent record shops near you had long since gone. Clearly, "useless" or not, that's not the case.

Marco.

Barry
29-12-2018, 19:55
Yes - the ones that knew anything about music and records have all gone. Pushed out by the avaricious bullying business practice of HMV - so it is ironic that HMV are now themselves going into receivership.

I use Amazon because I have yet to find a record that I couldn't get there (though it might be from Amazon Marketplace), in so simple and easy a manner. And these days most of my record shopping is for obscure, little known or out of print items.

willbewill
29-12-2018, 20:08
Will be sad if they go but a hopefully a huge boost for our local independent record shop in Swansea.

http://www.derricksmusic.co.uk/

Marco
29-12-2018, 20:17
Yes - the ones that knew anything about music and records have all gone...

Ah ok, that small distinction makes all the difference;)

If the on-line record store near you was any good [have you ever tried them?] I'd rather give them my business, than Amazon.

Marco.

Marco
29-12-2018, 20:20
Will be sad if they go but a hopefully a huge boost for our local independent record shop in Swansea.

http://www.derricksmusic.co.uk/

Those are the types of places folks should be using, instead of bloody HMV! And as I've just proven, all it takes is a quick search on Google, and you might discover that there's an independent record store near you, which beforehand you knew nothing about...;)

Marco [always favours the 'left-field' choice, rather than the obvious one].

dave2010
30-12-2018, 07:00
Ah ok, that small distinction makes all the difference;)

If the on-line record store near you was any good [have you ever tried them?] I'd rather give them my business, than Amazon.

Marco.I'm not sure that many record stores really did have people who knew about music - though some did. The days when one could go into a store and ask to hear a record and maybe compare versions before buying an LP have long gone. There was some small carry over into the CD era, but now mostly the business model is that most people know what they want to buy so really there's no incentive to go into a shop - they might as well buy from an online store which will probably be cheaper.

One of the last record shops I used was Threshold Records in Cobham - which was quite decent. That was funded by the Moody Blues. The Threshold Records shop closed its doors to the public in February 2011. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_Records

I did use one other record shop which had an interesting collection further south in Surrey - might have been the Record Corner in Godalming. That was helpful when I wanted to buy CDs of brass band music as a present for a friend.

Marco
30-12-2018, 07:27
Hi Dave,

I'm not sure that many record stores really did have people who knew about music - though some did. The days when one could go into a store and ask to hear a record and maybe compare versions before buying an LP have long gone.

Your first point is good, and one I agree with, as that type of knowledge has indeed dwindled, probably for the reasons you state. However, at least up here, there are still quite a few independent record shops, primarily owned by music lovers, who are able to advise on such matters and who just love talking about music!

They also tend to have a small system set up in the shop, with a turntable, which they'll gladly use to play you records, prior to purchase, especially if like me you enjoy expanding your musical horizons and checking out new stuff that looks intriguing... It's not always just about buying what you know. One such shop near me, is Grey N Pink, in Chester: http://greynpinkrecords.com/

They've got a Rega P3, set up in a rather nice little system, and the guys are very knowledgeable and helpful, and coupled with the fact that the shop carries a huge and diverse range of music on CD and vinyl (new and 2nd hand), makes it a great place to go. Moonlight Records, in Wrexham, is another such place: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487ac71b1b5d8d01:0x9d77ef717d0e0733!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipN_3nM_FrzwkdL5XajEBiX1GeWa3YF2_3EiukFj%3Dw62 5-h352-k-no!5smoonlight+records+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipN_3nM_FrzwkdL5XajEBiX1GeWa3 YF2_3EiukFj&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjl-vfthMffAhURyYUKHdZjBOcQoiowE3oECAYQBg

I could go on, lol... You'd imagine that there must be many places like that in London, if you know where to look!;)

Marco.

Tim
30-12-2018, 09:46
"The days when one could go into a store and ask to hear a record and maybe compare versions before buying an LP have long gone."

In places like HMV yes, but independents, no. Have you ever been into a Rough Trade?

I think there's quite a few places who will let you play a record before you buy it, with knowledgeable staff. As Marco says, you have to find them but they're certainly not long gone. Rough Trade in Brick Lane is an awesome record shop, has live performances too and I'm sure there's plenty more in London. I've got Spillers in Cardiff, Diverse Vinyl in Newport which I got to on occasion and there's quite a few more here (Kelly's, Retro Vibe, D'Vinyl), but I tend to only buy vinyl from an artist at their shows, as file based audio from a music server is still my primary source.

Marco
30-12-2018, 10:52
I think the problem too is that folks these days are more 'mainstream minded' than ever, due to how easy everything has become available to buy on the Internet, and so it encourages both lazy thinking (a mentality of 'if it's not under your nose, it doesn't exist'), and laziness also in terms of it being far easier to click a mouse, and order music from the likes of Amazon, than haul your ass into town and seek out some independent record shops.

I can understand that behaviour, but don't condone it, as it has partly contributed to the death of many a high street... Plus, there's also the factor to consider of how easy it is to get out and about where you live.

I'm lucky here in North Wales, as I can jump into the car and go where I want, and likely not encounter much (if any) traffic congestion, or difficulties in finding somewhere to park, but if I lived somewhere else where that wasn't the case, or horror of horrors, had to rely on public transport and mingle with the 'great unwashed', to get around, then I might be more tempted to stay put and click on that mouse!;)

Marco.

tapid
30-12-2018, 10:58
There s a few in and around Camden that have closed in the last few years. Partly perhaps because of the shift in business rates which now benefit the norf over the sarf !
The shop I really miss is Haggle Vinyl in Islington where you would thumb through the records whilst listening to the colourful language and stories of the owner Lyn.
To deter shop lifters he once put a sign up saying something like the last person to thieve a few records in this shop is no longer with us R.I.P. JOHN !

Tim
30-12-2018, 11:26
:rolleyes:

I must now be part of the 'great unwashed' then as I use the bus and train all the time, can't remember the last time I drove into Cardiff . . . months ago. If I'm not on the bus/train I will often walk the 4.5 miles or use a Nextbike to get about, the car gets used for concerts and longer journey's only.

That 'congestion' is caused by those who look down on the great unwashed, but get pissed off whilst sitting in a traffic jam - catch-22. I read a book whilst travelling or listen to music. My main motivation is the impact using a vehicle has on the environment and secondly, fitness (it's also cheaper a lot of the time). I adopted this mindset about 6 years ago now and it's benefits are many.

dave2010
30-12-2018, 11:43
There s a few in and around Camden that have closed in the last few years. Partly perhaps because of the shift in business rates which now benefit the norf over the sarf !
The shop I really miss is Haggle Vinyl in Islington where you would thumb through the records whilst listening to the colourful language and stories of the owner Lyn.
To deter shop lifters he once put a sign up saying something like the last person to thieve a few records in this shop is no longer with us R.I.P. JOHN !The norf, as in norf of Watford or Birmingham, or simply north of the Thames up to Golders Green?

I don't think the North is particularly favoured - much of it does not have the "benefits" of the South - though the benefits seem to be choking the southerly parts of these isles to a standstill. The reason Marco can drive around quite easily is because relatively few people live in that part of the country.

struth
30-12-2018, 11:46
I think the problem too is that folks these days are more 'mainstream minded' than ever, due to how easy everything has become available to buy on the Internet, and so it encourages both lazy thinking (a mentality of 'if it's not under your nose, it doesn't exist'), and laziness also in terms of it being far easier to click a mouse, and order music from the likes of Amazon, than haul your ass into town and seek out some independent record shops.

I can understand that behaviour, but don't condone it, as it has partly contributed to the death of many a high street... Plus, there's also the factor to consider of how easy it is to get out and about where you live.

I'm lucky where I live, as I can jump in the car and go where I like, and not encounter much (if any) traffic congestion, or difficulties in finding somewhere to park, but if I lived somewhere else where that wasn't the case, or horror of horrors, had to rely on public transport and mingle with the 'great unwashed', to get around, then I might be more tempted to stay put and click that mouse!;)

Marco.

think it reflects on the point you made earlier on many folk chasing their ass working that they have little time to do anything bar order online. this of course means that more shops close and rates go up closing more shops... catch 22

tapid
30-12-2018, 11:46

I must now be part of the 'great unwashed' then as I use the bus and train all the time, can't remember the last time I drove into Cardiff . . . months ago. If I'm not on the bus/train I will often walk the 4.5 miles or use a Nextbike to get about, the car gets used for concerts and longer journey's only.

That 'congestion' is caused by those who look down on the great unwashed, but get pissed off whilst sitting in a traffic jam - catch-22. I read a book whilst travelling or listen to music. My main motivation is the impact using a vehicle has on the environment and secondly, fitness (it's also cheaper a lot of the time). I adopted this mindset about 6 years ago now and it's benefits are many. Yeah round N.W London no need for motor at all walk, bus, train its all good and the service is superb in my view.

Marco
30-12-2018, 12:01

That 'congestion' is caused by those who look down on the great unwashed, but get pissed off whilst sitting in a traffic jam - catch-22. I read a book whilst travelling or listen to music. My main motivation is the impact using a vehicle has on the environment and secondly, fitness (it's also cheaper a lot of the time). I adopted this mindset about 6 years ago now and it's benefits are many.

Lol... My comments were tongue-in-cheek, daftee!:doh::D

I admire you for using public transport, as it's the 'greener' option, and also if the services are efficient where you are, to facilitate convenient travelling, then that's good. Around here, they're not, and as such it would be a massive time-consuming faff and inconvenience for me to go anywhere, other than into Wrexham or Chester (as it's just one bus, direct), if I didn't have a car.

In and around Cardiff, where you are, as far as public transport is concerned, is a different world from here in Wrexham, where the infrastructure isn't anything like as good. We're much more 'disconnected', in that respect, which actually suits me just fine!

Plus, I'm simply used to being able to go where I want, *when* I want, without relying on anyone else, and I detest queues of any description, or standing around waiting for buses or trains, so that's why I'm very much 'conditioned' to travelling by car. I just like the convenience and freedom it provides:)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
30-12-2018, 12:03
I haven't counted but I guess I've spent over £250 at HMV this year. They've sold me records from Sleep's "Holy Mountain" to Dusty Springfield's "Dusty In Memphis" and CDs from King Tubby's "The Dub Master" to Lana Del Ray's "Ultraviolence". And some 2018 releases...

The experience of buying an album is part of my engagement with it. Like when I was young...the saving up, the bus into town, the browsing through the racks from A to Z...it all enhances the experience in a faintly similar way to going to a gig. I just can't accept that clicking a mouse and taking a steer from an algorithm - I AM NOT EVERYONE ELSE! - is part of being into music. I can recall how I bought many of my physical album purchases but very few of the online ones.

Pete

+ 1

Spectral Morn
30-12-2018, 12:13
I have been reading a number of comments online last few days that suggest that rather than helping independents, HMV going down won't as their presence was so large regarding being a customer for new product music distribution, that their going could very badly damage said distributors. I have also read a few say that if HMV go, then pricing will go up, because the products will actually become even more niche.

I am not sure regarding these suggestions, I guess only time will tell.

One of the great shames here is that Fopp will vanish forever if HMV dies.

In my life I have bought from independents and mainstream shops, but to see the last big music retailer die is awful. Very sad days ahead.

Marco
30-12-2018, 12:17
The norf, as in norf of Watford or Birmingham, or simply north of the Thames up to Golders Green?

I don't think the North is particularly favoured - much of it does not have the "benefits" of the South - though the benefits seem to be choking the southerly parts of these isles to a standstill. The reason Marco can drive around quite easily is because relatively few people live in that part of the country.

Yup, and I wouldn't tolerate anything else, which is why I give heavily-populated areas of the UK, as wide a berth as possible!;)

One of the unquestionably benefits, I've found, of living 'up north', and it ties in neatly with what we're discussing about independent record shops, is that because less people live here, the effects of commercialism/consumerism and the 'rat race' haven't taken as big a grip, as is the case in many places 'down south'.

That's probably why more small businesses can (and have) thrived, combined with rates being much lower than in the south - and also because, as Grant points out, there are less folks here running around like headless chickens, because the pace of life is generally slower than it is 'down south', and so people have more time to themselves, which is one of the reasons why I love living where I do, as 'off-grid' and divorced from the 'rat race' as I can manage!!:)

Marco.

Marco
30-12-2018, 12:32
think it reflects on the point you made earlier on many folk chasing their ass working that they have little time to do anything bar order online. this of course means that more shops close and rates go up closing more shops... catch 22

Yup... It wouldn't be though if those who were able to change how they lived, did so, and embraced the notion that there's a damn sight more to LIFE than just working - but that's an old story.....

Marco.

struth
30-12-2018, 12:34
I have been reading a number of comments online last few days that suggest that rather than helping independents, HMV going down won't as their presence was so large regarding being a customer for new product music distribution, that their going could very badly damage said distributors. I have also read a few say that if HMV go, then pricing will go up, because the products will actually become even more niche.

I am not sure regarding these suggestions, I guess only time will tell.

One of the great shames here is that Fopp will vanish forever if HMV dies.

In my life I have bought from independents and mainstream shops, but to see the last big music retailer die is awful. Very sad days ahead.

i doubt it personally. the big online distributor/retailers will pick up the slack, as might supermarkets

tapid
30-12-2018, 12:40
The norf, as in norf of Watford or Birmingham, or simply north of the Thames up to Golders Green?

I don't think the North is particularly favoured - much of it does not have the "benefits" of the South - though the benefits seem to be choking the southerly parts of these isles to a standstill. The reason Marco can drive around quite easily is because relatively few people live in that part of the country. I was referring to the last change in business rates a year or so ago. They interviewed a shop keeper in Bolton who said his rates would now be roughly a grand less per year ( from memory ) but in London thousands of pound have been added
to businesses every year with the resulting boarded up shops on the increase.

rmcin626
30-12-2018, 14:18
I bought some vinyl from HMV last month, for me it’s a 50 mile round trip if I want to visit an actual shop that sells records or than the local Tesco. As far as Glasgow is concerned there are I think only 4 shops in the centre of the city including HMV, plus another couple out in the west end. Personally I am still looking for an online store that suits me. That and the fact vinyl is overpriced.

Marco
30-12-2018, 14:40
As far as Glasgow is concerned there are I think only 4 shops in the centre of the city including HMV, plus another couple out in the west end.

There are quite a few more than that, Robin. Were you aware of Monorail: https://www.monorailmusic.com/ Rub-a-Dub: https://www.rubadub.co.uk/records Love Music: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48884420004709e3:0x9a4722aaabe0a79f!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4s//lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/MKseBtI2v9P2XRhk5hKjB9knut4MjG9uniqwuAsA-70cPiEnRfryxtj9ooE5Vo-AFoM4FnYlI1-5kxbjZsb-GKID77G7A1gOXN6VtgL-PGIakfdq_pHeII6qpqTup9--jMuakWJMIg4qCdzVwkscuO6ztOk6C0ovlrke%3Dw241-h160-k-no!5srecord+shop+queen+street+glasgow+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sQXw498npcKZIQhfXX27b_g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiahOnn48ffAhXryYUKHUZKBSMQoiowCnoECAAQB g, Missing Records: https://m.facebook.com/missingrecordsglasgow/ or Record Fayre: http://recordfayre.co.uk/

And those are just ones I can think of, off the top of my head, excluding obvious places such as Fopp or HMV, and without going near the west end!:)

Marco.

rmcin626
30-12-2018, 14:52
There are quite a few more than that. Were you aware of Monorail: https://www.monorailmusic.com/ Rub-a-Dub: https://www.rubadub.co.uk/records Love Music: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x48884420004709e3:0x9a4722aaabe0a79f!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4s//lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/MKseBtI2v9P2XRhk5hKjB9knut4MjG9uniqwuAsA-70cPiEnRfryxtj9ooE5Vo-AFoM4FnYlI1-5kxbjZsb-GKID77G7A1gOXN6VtgL-PGIakfdq_pHeII6qpqTup9--jMuakWJMIg4qCdzVwkscuO6ztOk6C0ovlrke%3Dw241-h160-k-no!5srecord+shop+queen+street+glasgow+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sQXw498npcKZIQhfXX27b_g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiahOnn48ffAhXryYUKHUZKBSMQoiowCnoECAAQB g, Missing Records: https://m.facebook.com/missingrecordsglasgow/ or Record Fayre: http://recordfayre.co.uk/

And those are just ones I can think of off the top of my head, without going near the west end!:)

Marco.
Forgot about Monorail, I don’t count rubadub as their market is DJs. From memory, there is Missing, Fopp, HMV, Love Music and Monorail in the centre all the other independents are long gone like 23rd Precinct. Happy to proved wrong of course.

Marco
30-12-2018, 14:58
Monorail, is one of my favs, as you can have lunch in their on-site restaurant, and a few beers afterwards!:cool:

You're excluding Record Fayre, in the Merchant City, which is well worth visiting. And you'd discount Rub-a-Dub at your peril, if like me, you love dance music, on 12" singles, or ambient and trance stuff - all of which you can listen to on T/Ts, through headphones, before buying!:)

I'll compile a full list of all the independent record shops I know of in Glasgow after lunch.

Marco.

rmcin626
30-12-2018, 15:02
Monorail, is one of my favs, as you can have lunch there and a few beers afterwards!:cool:

You're excluding Record Fayre, in the Merchant City. And you'd discount Rub-a-Dub at your peril, if like me, you love dance music, on 12" singles, or ambient and trance stuff - all of which you can listen to on T/Ts, through headphones, before buying!:)

I'll compile a full list of all the independent record shops I know of in Glasgow after lunch.

Marco.

I am far too old for Dance music, enjoy your lunch

Marco
30-12-2018, 15:03
Lol - how old are you?:D

Marco.

willbewill
30-12-2018, 15:08
Lol... My comments were tongue-in-cheek, daftee!:doh::D

I admire you for using public transport, as it's the 'greener' option, and also if the services are efficient where you are, to facilitate convenient travelling, then that's good. Around here, they're not, and as such it would be a massive time-consuming faff and inconvenience for me to go anywhere, other than into Wrexham or Chester (as it's just one bus direct), if I didn't have a car.

In and around Cardiff, where you are, as far as public transport is concerned, is a different world from here in Wrexham, where the infrastructure isn't anything like as good. We're much more 'disconnected', in that respect, which actually suits me just fine!

Plus, I'm simply used to being able to go where I want, *when* I want, without relying on anyone else, and I detest queues of any description, or standing around waiting for buses or trains, so that's why I'm very much 'conditioned' to travelling by car. I just like the convenience and freedom it provides:)

Marco.Great bus infrastructure in and around Swansea and being over 60 it's free, but I must admit I generally prefer getting in the car, I tend to get motion sickness. A useful backup though.

Joe
30-12-2018, 15:17

I've bought shedloads from Fopp (just spent £30 there, in fact). I didn't realise they were owned by HMV.

Personally, I dislike shopping intensely, especially for clothes. Most blokes do, in my experience. I don't know what all the women who love shopping will do with themselves when all the shops have gone.

Audio Al
30-12-2018, 15:45
I visited yesterday as spent £100 on vinyl , RIP HMV :(

Marco
30-12-2018, 16:12
Great bus infrastructure in and around Swansea and being over 60 it's free, but I must admit I generally prefer getting in the car, I tend to get motion sickness. A useful backup though.

Nice one, Malcolm Enjoy it.. Like I said though, public transport is a different ball game in Wales, living around Cardiff and Swansea, compared with up north in Wrexham, where there are no such cities. However, I rather like it that way!;)

Marco.

Marco
30-12-2018, 16:17
I've bought shedloads from Fopp (just spent £30 there, in fact). I didn't realise they were owned by HMV.

Personally, I dislike shopping intensely, especially for clothes. Most blokes do, in my experience.

Indeed, although personally I don't mind it that much. I don't do 'window shopping' though, or traipsing around busy town centres, going into all sorts of different clothes shops, trying stuff on, before buying it - no fucking chance:nono:

I go directly to specific shops, where I know there'll be stuff I like (and I can park the car easily), buy it, then GTF, ASAP! :wave: :hotrod:

However, I love shopping for things like records/Blu-rays, hi-fi gear, food & wine (in specialist shops), stuff for my car or nice things for the house.

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
30-12-2018, 16:37

Personally, I dislike shopping intensely, especially for clothes. Most blokes do, in my experience. I don't know what all the women who love shopping will do with themselves when all the shops have gone.

As long as they've got somewhere to meet up for a coffee and a good moan about men, they'll be ok.

willbewill
30-12-2018, 16:57
Nice one, Malcolm Enjoy it.. Like I said though, public transport is a different ball game in Wales, living around Cardiff and Swansea, compared with up north in Wrexham, where there are no such cities. However, I rather like it that way!;)

Marco.In Helsinki for New Year, we visit Finland a couple of times a year, fantastic public transport system and cheap.

Marco
30-12-2018, 17:05
As long as they've got somewhere to meet up for a coffee and a good moan about men, they'll be ok.

Lol - it's so funny you should mention that, as women moaning about men is something that my wife always moans about, when she's in the company of other women!:D

In all honesty, it's not something either of us do, as I've nothing to moan about, and neither has she;)

Marco.

Marco
30-12-2018, 17:08
In Helsinki for New Year, we visit Finland a couple of times a year, fantastic public transport system and cheap.

Wow - MAJOR respect... Hope you have a great time. What's it like there - the good bits and anything interesting you can tell me about the place?

I absolutely *adore* Finland, as does Del, and Helsinki is somewhere we both want to visit, in conjunction with a trip to Sweden, to see the Northern Lights and stay at the Ice Hotel: https://www.icehotel.com/hotel/

I'm saving up now for our 30th wedding anniversary!

Marco.

Barry
30-12-2018, 17:09
Hi Dave,

Your first point is good, and one I agree with, as that type of knowledge has indeed dwindled, probably for the reasons you state. However, at least up here, there are still quite a few independent record shops, primarily owned by music lovers, who are able to advise on such matters and who just love talking about music!

They also tend to have a small system set up in the shop, with a turntable, which they'll gladly use to play you records, prior to purchase, especially if like me you enjoy expanding your musical horizons and checking out new stuff that looks intriguing... It's not always just about buying what you know. One such shop near me, is Grey N Pink, in Chester: http://greynpinkrecords.com/

They've got a Rega P3, set up in a rather nice little system, and the guys are very knowledgeable and helpful, and coupled with the fact that the shop carries a huge and diverse range of music on CD and vinyl (new and 2nd hand), makes it a great place to go. Moonlight Records, in Wrexham, is another such place: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487ac71b1b5d8d01:0x9d77ef717d0e0733!2m22!2 m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m 1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e11 5!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipN_3nM_FrzwkdL5XajEBiX1GeWa3YF2_3EiukFj%3Dw62 5-h352-k-no!5smoonlight+records+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipN_3nM_FrzwkdL5XajEBiX1GeWa3 YF2_3EiukFj&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjl-vfthMffAhURyYUKHdZjBOcQoiowE3oECAYQBg

I could go on, lol... You'd imagine that there must be many places like that in London, if you know where to look!;)

Marco.

Most of the small record shops in Chelmsford were like that: staffed by knowledgable and enthusiastic music lovers. All of them had a means of playing records: one in particular (which tended to specialise in classical) had a system for use by the customer which consisted of a Thorens TT, Quad 33/303 and (I think ) some smallish B&W speakers. Dobells Jazz Record shop in Charing Cross Road was, not surprisingly, full of people who knew about jazz and blues, were helpful and played the records on a Goldring G99/SME combination, with Radford valve amplification and I think Tannoy speakers.

In those days you could go into a record shop and browse, and if you found something of interest have it played (or play it for yourself). There would always be someone there who could recommend other titles similar to the one you had selected, or just talk about music in general. As Marco has said, this made the whole record buying experience a pleasure. For years the only thing the staff in HMV knew was the price of the record, and that was because it was written on a sticker on the sleeve.

I should also mention that HMV had the most awkward and unhelpful attitude when it came to returning a record. They would insist on playing it on their old groove grinder player, which of course woukd not reveal the fault, state there was nothing wrong with the LP and would only replace it if you made enough fuss. Whereas the classical record shop mentioned above had a totaly different attitude: there was no quibbling at all, only an apology. In their words "the only way record companies will improve their quality control is if we keep returning records that are sub-standard".

It's a different world now, and whilst I feel sorry for the staff of HMV who will loose their jobs, it was, IMO, the coming of HMV to Chelmsford that forced all the small record shops out of business.

willbewill
30-12-2018, 17:12
Wow - MAJOR respect... I absolutely *adore* Finland, as does Del, and Helsinki is somewhere we both want to visit, in conjunction with a trip to Sweden, to see the Northern Lights and stay at the Ice Hotel: https://www.icehotel.com/hotel/

I'm saving up now for our 30th wedding anniversary!

Marco.My wife if fanatical about a Finnish rock band, Von Hertzen Brothers, they're playing a concert to see the New Year in. We've made a lot of friends here through them, out to dinner first with some of them.

Give me a shout when you arrange a trip and we can give some pointers.

Barry
30-12-2018, 17:13
In Helsinki for New Year, we visit Finland a couple of times a year, fantastic public transport system and cheap.

Lovely country, beautiful forests, friendly and helpful people and great food and beer! Must go back there sometime. :)

Marco
30-12-2018, 17:14
My wife if fanatical about a Finnish rock band, Von Hertzen Brothers, they're playing a concert to see the New Year in. We've made a lot of friends here through them, out to dinner first with some of them.

Interesting... I'll check them out. So what's the food like there? Is it similar to what's found in Sweden?:)

I love how dark it gets during winter, even during the day, especially how the shops, bars and stuff are lit up in front of a snowy backdrop. It looks all cosy and romantic.

Marco.

Barry
30-12-2018, 17:18
Interesting... So what's the food like there? Is it similar to what's found in Sweden?:)

Marco.

Great for ungulates(?): raindeer, elk etc. They use a lot of berries in the sauces, and mostly root vegatables. In short - I loved it! :)

Marco
30-12-2018, 17:20
Most of the small record shops in Chelmsford were like that: staffed by knowledgable and enthusiastic music lovers. All of them had a means of playing records: one in particular (which tended to specialise in classical) had a system for use by the customer which consisted of a Thorens TT, Quad 33/303 and (I think ) some smallish B&W speakers. Dobells Jazz Record shop in Charing Cross Road was, not surprisingly, full of people who knew about jazz and blues, were helpful and played the records on a Goldring G99/SME combination, with Radford valve amplification and I think Tannoy speakers.

In those days you could go into a record shop and browse, and if you found something of interest have it played (or play it for yourself). There would always be someone there who could recommend other titles similar to the one you had selected, or just talk about music in general. As Marco has said, this made the whole record buying experience a pleasure. For years the only thing the staff in HMV knew was the price of the record, and that was because it was written on a sticker on the sleeve.

I should also mention that HMV had the most awkward and unhelpful attitude when it came to returning a record. They would insist on playing it on their old groove grinder player, which of course woukd not reveal the fault, state there was nothing wrong with the LP and would only replace it if you made enough fuss. Whereas the classical record shop mentioned above had a totaly different attitude: there was no quibbling at all, only an apology. In their words "the only way record companies will improve their quality control is if we keep returning records that are sub-standard".

It's a different world now, and whilst I feel sorry for the staff of HMV who will loose their jobs, it was, IMO, the coming of HMV to Chelmsford that forced all the small record shops out of business.

All interesting stuff, Barry, so thanks for sharing. I agree with your observations, save the bit in bold, and to which I'd add: "depending on where you live";)

I can still do everything you've described, and receive that knowledgeable service, in any of the (many) independent record shops around here:)

Marco.

Marco
30-12-2018, 17:23
Great for ungulates(?): raindeer, elk etc. They use a lot of berries in the sauces, and mostly root vegatables. In short - I loved it! :)

Sounds very similar to Sweden then, and yes, right up my street! What's it like for veggies? I'm of course thinking of Del. Are the salads, and such like really nice, as they are in pretty much every country apart from the UK?:D

Marco.

Barry
30-12-2018, 17:27
Sounds very similar to Sweden then, and yes, right up my street! What's it like for veggies? I'm of course thinking of Del. Are the salads, and such like really nice, as they are in pretty much every country apart from the UK?:D

Marco.

I don't remember, as I don't think I eat any salad there (apart from some garnish on the side with a sandwich). Best ask Malcolm.

willbewill
30-12-2018, 17:29
Interesting... So what's the food like there? Is it similar to what's found in Sweden?:)

Marco.Lol we're having Italian this evening, it's Gone seven here, food can be expensive and drinks are. But there are lots of more frugal offerings if you search, we have friend with a restaurant who does a great all you can eat lunchtime menu for 10.50 €.

Reindeer, cured meats, sausage and fish are staples, traveling around the country the local markets usually have great little cafes with local delicacies, a great option for a hearty breakfast.

willbewill
30-12-2018, 17:31

Marco.No problem for veggies, I'm lactose intolerant so vegan is always an option for me.

Marco
30-12-2018, 17:34
Cool, that's good to know. Del loves *any* kind of veg (rice and pasta, too), but quite often will just order a salad, as abroad they tend to be really good, served with a nice tasty dressing and full of interesting things, and different types of leaves, instead of just boring (limp) green lettuce and (often) tasteless tomatoes!:rolleyes:

Marco.

willbewill
30-12-2018, 17:52
Just had an excellent seafood pizza with loads of smoked salmon, the salmon is fantastic in Finland, as good as most I've had in Italy.

willbewill
30-12-2018, 17:57
Plus worth mentioning for those that don't know, most of the Finns speak very good English.

Marco
30-12-2018, 18:24
Plus worth mentioning for those that don't know, most of the Finns speak very good English.

Cool, although I'd have expected that. Won't stop me from learning a few words of the local language (good morning/afternoon/evening, please, thank you, etc) though, as I believe it's only right that one should make such an effort. In my experience, the locals always appreciate it:)

Marco.

Audio Al
30-12-2018, 18:39
Lol - it's so funny you should mention that, as women moaning about men is something that my wife always moans about, when she's in the company of other women!:D

In all honesty, it's not something either of us do, as I've nothing to moan about, and neither has she;)

Marco.

Your not trying hard enough :)

Marco
30-12-2018, 18:43
Lol... You mean I should annoy her more, so she's got something to bitch about?:D

Marco.

willbewill
30-12-2018, 18:59
Cool, although I'd have expected that. Won't stop me from learning a few words of the local language (please, thank you, etc) though, as I believe it's only right that one should make such an effort. In my experience, the locals always appreciate it, too:)

Marco.Hello - Hei, or Moi if it's a friend or you have a common interest, Thank you - Kiitos. It gets a bit difficult after that.

Pigmy Pony
30-12-2018, 19:22

Marco.

You sound like the perfect husband. You need to stop that, you're showing up the rest of us :(

Marco
30-12-2018, 19:31
Lol... Oh I'm far from perfect, but I do my best! 27 years, very happily married, however, I guess is not bad going these days:)

Marco.

Marco
30-12-2018, 19:41
Lol we're having Italian this evening, it's Gone seven here, food can be expensive and drinks are. But there are lots of more frugal offerings if you search, we have friend with a restaurant who does a great all you can eat lunchtime menu for 10.50 €.

Reindeer, cured meats, sausage and fish are staples, traveling around the country the local markets usually have great little cafes with local delicacies, a great option for a hearty breakfast.

Sounds great, Malcolm, especially the bit about local markets and delicacies. We'll be hiring a car, so travelling around won't be an issue. We're the types who like to get off the beaten track a bit and see the REAL country, outside of tourist traps, and do as the locals do:)

As for the bit I've highlighted above, for us that would be a no-no, as 1) when abroad, we have a rule of ONLY eating the food of the country we're in, as authentically as possible, and 2) because of my Italian heritage, and what Del's learned about cooking Italian food, over the years, we can almost always make it better at home!

Hope you enjoy your meal there, though:cool:

Marco.

Barry
30-12-2018, 23:00
Sounds great, Malcolm, especially the bit about local markets and delicacies. We'll be hiring a car, so travelling around won't be an issue. We're the types who like to get off the beaten track a bit and see the REAL country, outside of tourist traps, and do as the locals do:)

As for the bit I've highlighted above, for us that would be a no-no, as 1) when abroad, we have a rule of ONLY eating the food of the country we're in, as authentically as possible, and 2) because of my Italian heritage, and what Del's learned about cooking Italian food, over the years, we can almost always make it better at home!

Hope you enjoy your meal there, though:cool:

Marco.

That is my approach as well, if only for the simple reason that in some countries they simply don't know how to offer the cuisine of others.

For example asking for chilli con carne in Nepal, or asking for chips in China! Admittedly both examples were thirty years ago; no doubt that has changed with globalisation.

Anyway the whole reason to travel is to experience something different, otherwise you may as well stay at home.

Macca
30-12-2018, 23:04
That is my approach as well, if only for the simple reason that in some countries they simply don't know how to offer the cuisine of others.

For example asking for chilli con carne in Nepal, or asking for chips in China! Admittedly both examples were thirty years ago; no doubt that has changed with globalisation.

Anyway the whole reason to travel is to experience something different, otherwise you may as well stay at home.

I was in this hotel once, they didn't have any brown sauce. Didn't even know what it was. Brought us Worcestershire Sauce. And that was in London. Mayfair in fact.

Marco
30-12-2018, 23:18

Hear, hear... Try telling that to the 'egg & chips' brigade though, who take all-inclusive package holidays to Spanish beach resorts - all those clueless clowns want is Britain, but with sun!!:doh::rolleyes:

Marco.

Marco
30-12-2018, 23:21
I was in this hotel once, they didn't have any brown sauce. Didn't even know what it was. Brought us Worcestershire Sauce. And that was in London. Mayfair in fact.

:lolsign:

You gotta name and shame, bro.....

Marco.

tapid
30-12-2018, 23:28
A hotel in Mayfair ...WOW expensive. I take it that must have been post or pre dole time ?

Macca
30-12-2018, 23:36
A hotel in Mayfair ...WOW expensive. I take it that must have been post or pre dole time ?

School trip 1981. 'The Green Park Hotel' - don't look for it, its not there anymore. It was right off Green Park though so that much was true. The 'Hotel' bit was more circumspect. It was a hotel insomuch as it had rooms and staff. I recall London being very different then compared to how it is now.

Marco
31-12-2018, 00:07
Jeez, was it run by Basil Fawlty?:D

And 'fess up, was the sauce for that kinky French exchange teacher, who liked HP licked off her nipples?

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
31-12-2018, 08:33
What a sad state of affairs - HMV in real trouble and all you guys can think about is your belly!

struth
31-12-2018, 09:44
School trip 1981. 'The Green Park Hotel' - don't look for it, its not there anymore. It was right off Green Park though so that much was true. The 'Hotel' bit was more circumspect. It was a hotel insomuch as it had rooms and staff. I recall London being very different then compared to how it is now.Was in a few dumps in London in early 80's. Supposed to be a cleaner place now tho

Marco
31-12-2018, 10:37
What a sad state of affairs - HMV in real trouble and all you guys can think about is your belly!

Whaddya mean? She was only helping him with his French oral!

Marco.

ReggieB
31-12-2018, 13:58
I've just received this from HMV:

We’re just getting in touch with a quick update on order number xxxxxx for

XTC

APPLE VENUS

LP

We’re sorry for the delay with your order. We haven't received stock of this item yet but as soon as it arrives in the warehouse we'll dispatch this to you.

Oh dear.

rmcin626
04-01-2019, 18:22
Monorail, is one of my favs, as you can have lunch in their on-site restaurant, and a few beers afterwards!:cool:

You're excluding Record Fayre, in the Merchant City, which is well worth visiting. And you'd discount Rub-a-Dub at your peril, if like me, you love dance music, on 12" singles, or ambient and trance stuff - all of which you can listen to on T/Ts, through headphones, before buying!:)

Marco.

Just been looking through the latest Long Live Vinyl, which has an article on the various Glasgow stores.

Dr Winston O Boogie
05-01-2019, 10:45
https://www.whathifi.com/news/hmv-could-be-revived-as-discount-club-buyvia-enters-rescue-talks

Minstrel SE
05-01-2019, 16:06
Its gotta be all over bar the shouting. I havent shopped there in more years than I care to remember. I used to go in when there was a dvd sale on and I would pick up some of the offers or a boxset or two...so laterly it wasnt even for music. The sale signs drew me in for a gander but apart from a few loss leaders it wasnt anywhere near good prices. I had more money then sense on those shopping trips

I used to worry that a boxset would get damaged in the post but now I can get a significant ammount off the high street price I have it all posted.

In a core location thay will get some footfall but that must have been declining. They havent adapted to the internet well and I can seek any cd from other sellers at a better price. I prefer smaller volume sellers..I search for a cd and find a seller that has it new or used long before I need to consider chain store type operations for music.

I dont owe them loyalty in saving the high street. His masters voice means damn all to me and its just a chainstore that leaves me cold.

I cant imagine why anyone would keep it running when faced with internet competition and decling music sales.

Marco
05-01-2019, 17:20
Just been looking through the latest Long Live Vinyl, which has an article on the various Glasgow stores.

Cool:cool:

Which ones are mentioned?

Marco.

dave2010
05-01-2019, 22:08
https://www.whathifi.com/news/hmv-could-be-revived-as-discount-club-buyvia-enters-rescue-talks

While a new buyer is sought, HMV owner Hilco, which rescued the chain from administration in 2013, says the existing 2200 stores around the UK will continue to trade.Maybe, but the ones I've been in recently seem to be running down. Inverness which I visited recently didn't have any interesting (to me) sale items, though it was advertising a clearance sale. There were only two possible box sets of interest, but I think both are available cheaper even now from online sellers.

Dr Winston O Boogie
06-01-2019, 01:31
Its gotta be all over bar the shouting. I havent shopped there in more years than I care to remember. I used to go in when there was a dvd sale on and I would pick up some of the offers or a boxset or two...so laterly it wasnt even for music. The sale signs drew me in for a gander but apart from a few loss leaders it wasnt anywhere near good prices. I had more money then sense on those shopping trips

I used to worry that a boxset would get damaged in the post but now I can get a significant ammount off the high street price I have it all posted.

In a core location thay will get some footfall but that must have been declining. They havent adapted to the internet well and I can seek any cd from other sellers at a better price. I prefer smaller volume sellers..I search for a cd and find a seller that has it new or used long before I need to consider chain store type operations for music.

I dont owe them loyalty in saving the high street. His masters voice means damn all to me and its just a chainstore that leaves me cold.

I cant imagine why anyone would keep it running when faced with internet competition and decling music sales.

What about the staff?

AJSki2fly
06-01-2019, 07:57
Been visiting a friend in Dorking this weekend mainly to pick up some speakers I may being buying from him to try at my home. We popped into Guildlford yesterday to meet have have lunch with another life long friend. After we could not resist going to HMV for a browse, lots of 50% off in the sale and some quite good record bargains, I picked up Steely Dan - Aja for £12.99 on vinyl. What was noticeable was there were only on average about 20-30 shoppers in what is quite a big store, I would say about half were hovering around the Vinyl section, very few looking at CD's and the rest were at the DVD/Blu rays. There were 4 staff that I could see, one restocking and 3 stood bored behind the tills waiting for the Saturday afternoon rush, it certainly did not look like coming. Personally I can't see how any of their high street shops can survive like this, I sometimes pop into the Exeter HMV near where I work and for the past 18 months it is generally empty with a handful of customers whenever I have gone in. Sadly I think the end of an era I think.

Minstrel SE
09-01-2019, 20:37
What about the staff?

Hi

What about them? I find that a strange point as what do I owe the staff there? They will have put others out of business and do the staff care when I have bills to pay. What are they ..some sort of godly saviours of the retail music industry?...The last people who can guide or advise me?

Im not gloating. I comment because its no surprise to me that certain stores are in trouble. Of course I have sympathy for anyone handed a P45 but I dont have to shop where I dont want to.

Dr Winston O Boogie
10-01-2019, 22:22
Hi

What about them? I find that a strange point as what do I owe the staff there? They will have put others out of business and do the staff care when I have bills to pay. What are they ..some sort of godly saviours of the retail music industry?...The last people who can guide or advise me?

Im not gloating. I comment because its no surprise to me that certain stores are in trouble. Of course I have sympathy for anyone handed a P45 but I dont have to shop where I dont want to.

OOh nice person alert. Bit of a bugger though that this is your opinion on peoples livelyhoods and retail in general by the looks of things. I am quite sure in doing so that you are quite safe in the position you hold that enables you to do so. Very lucky person.........until it arrives at your door, then things change a little and it will one day.

I like Physical media and as such,I can touch, I can own it, I can converse with those who sell it to me.

Macca
10-01-2019, 22:42
It's not 1983 anymore, they'll get another job. I've been made redundant twice and no-one was grieving either time. Didn't even merit an article in the Guardian. Businesses go broke all the time and the staff get stuffed. They're just not famous businesses so they don't merit column inches or airtime.

Maybe we should start thinking about all those unfortunate people too? Even though we don't even know who they are? Let's have a minute's silence for them. What a load of bollocks. What is this need for everyone to have to express sympathy all the bloody time? I'm sick of it.

Dr Winston O Boogie
11-01-2019, 03:36
It's not 1983 anymore, they'll get another job. I've been made redundant twice and no-one was grieving either time. Didn't even merit an article in the Guardian. Businesses go broke all the time and the staff get stuffed. They're just not famous businesses so they don't merit column inches or airtime.

Maybe we should start thinking about all those unfortunate people too? Even though we don't even know who they are? Let's have a minute's silence for them. What a load of bollocks. What is this need for everyone to have to express sympathy all the bloody time? I'm sick of it.

How often do you visit HMV?

Sherwood
11-01-2019, 04:33

I'm not sure that I understand your anger at those who do feel something for those about to be unemployed. :scratch:

Mixc
11-01-2019, 05:51
I went in to HMV last week end. I thaught to myself, as i looked for anything worth having.
Its nice to see a decent selection of albums for sale.
It reminded me of 1990s when i used to buy records all the time from HMV.
For me its sad that as we finally return to being able to go into town and choose from a selection of records, that option in now probably going to disapear.

Pigmy Pony
11-01-2019, 07:18
There are still the independents. The pressure will be off them a bit. They may not be the cheapest, but often the price difference is minimal. Plus you get to handle them (the records) and talk to the seller before parting with your hard earned. Makes the buying experience worth the trip into town. Almost.

Macca
11-01-2019, 07:30
How often do you visit HMV?

Not in ten years at least. But I did use to spend a fair bit of money there once a month.

Macca
11-01-2019, 07:43
I'm not sure that I understand your anger at those who do feel something for those about to be unemployed. :scratch:

It's the idea that it is okay to put social pressure on people to think a certain way in an attempt to force them into displaying some show of faux emotional response to the plight of people they have never met that I find both tedious and slightly sinister.

Sherwood
11-01-2019, 08:22
I can't say I have felt any external pressure of the type you describe. I would say that I always feel bad for people who lose their job around Christmas,especially if they have young kids
It's the idea that it is okay to put social pressure on people to think a certain way in an attempt to force them into displaying some show of faux emotional response to the plight of people they have never met that I find both tedious and slightly sinister.

Dr Winston O Boogie
11-01-2019, 08:31

I think it's sad for them and us , they are probably on a very low wage anyway, nothing faux about it, just another nail in the coffin of physical media and ownership.

struth
11-01-2019, 08:41
ive been paid off and made redundant; no-one gave a toss, which was a shame as my job was as important as someone in a multi chain. only difference is 10/15k jobs going at one time instead of 20/30.
that said of course i feel for the workers, its always sad to see anyone losing their ability to earn a living. hopefully a buyer will be found for some of the stores and at least some jobs get saved.

Dr Winston O Boogie
11-01-2019, 10:53
ive been paid off and made redundant; no-one gave a toss, which was a shame as my job was as important as someone in a multi chain. only difference is 10/15k jobs going at one time instead of 20/30.
that said of course i feel for the workers, its always sad to see anyone losing their ability to earn a living. hopefully a buyer will be found for some of the stores and at least some jobs get saved.

We all have, but HMV was for me anyway the last of the great record shops.

struth
11-01-2019, 11:20
We all have, but HMV was for me anyway the last of the great record shops.

yup, but record buyers are very much a niche. thats one of the reasons for it. although there has been a resurgence, its nothing like the heyday. the populace for the most part have moved away from physical media alas.

Macca
11-01-2019, 12:05
I can't say I have felt any external pressure of the type you describe.

See Barry's post 131 above. Unless you express how badly you feel for these people you are 'not a nice person' and deserve to be socially castigated. Whereas I would say that unless you actually know someone personally you don't actually 'feel' anything for their plight.

We are just acknowledging that it is a shame on an intellectual level, not an emotional one. And I don't see the point of that, frankly. It's platitudes at best, virtue signalling at worst.

Marco
11-01-2019, 12:25

An interesting (and somewhat cold-hearted) outlook, which is one of your traits, and I'm afraid not one I can relate to. You're of course entitled to feel how you feel, or not feel...

It's not about a "faux emotional response", but simply natural human behaviour, expressing some sympathy for one's fellow man in unfortunate times. I'm not crying into my soup or anything, as it doesn't affect me directly, but I'm always sad to hear when someone loses their job, through no fault of their own.

For me, that's just a normal emotional response; nothing "faux" about it.

Marco.

Spectral Morn
11-01-2019, 12:55
An interesting (and somewhat cold-hearted) outlook, which is one of your traits, and I'm afraid not one I can relate to. You're of course entitled to feel how you feel, or not feel...

It's not about a "faux emotional response", but simply natural human behaviour, expressing some sympathy for one's fellow man in unfortunate times. I'm not crying into my soup or anything, as it doesn't affect me directly, but I'm always sad to hear when someone loses their job, through no fault of their own.

For me, that's just a normal emotional response; nothing "faux" about it.

Marco.

+ 1

Having been made redundant a number of times its horrible. And I do care about those that are. Its harder when you are older. I am employed currently, but not at the same level I once was and so far todate I have failed to get back to that level.

Joe
11-01-2019, 12:56
It's interesting whether, and to what extent, we sympathise with others' misfortunes. There seems to be a sort of sliding scale of empathy, depending on how close we are to those involved, both in terms of actual relationship/friendship, and in terms of physical proximity. Thus, the death of one person we know well or are related to will affect us far more than the death of ten people in this country whom we don't know, or of a hundred people in a nearby country, or of a thousand people on the other side of the world.

In terms of redundancy, which is clearly far less serious, my reaction is of concern, especially for those with families, but it doesn't last long, or cause me to alter my own behaviour in any way (eg visit actual shops rather than shop online), so I guess it's 'faux concern' to that extent.

Marco
11-01-2019, 13:10
Sure, however the key point is that your *initial* reaction was one of concern, and I suspect also feeling some sympathy for those affected - and there is nothing "sinister" in that.

I know that Martin's a nice person, in the truest sense of the word [as I know him].

However, I do worry about the increasing trend these days to be dispassionate and uncaring towards others, almost automatically, as I believe that it breeds selfishness and disrespect: two things that are largely responsible for how the world is today, and why I enjoy living in places where a community spirit still exists and people show kindness towards each other, simply out of good manners, if nothing else.

Remember those...?

That's one of the reasons why I *hate* big cities, especially London, as no-one gives a damn about anyone, other than themselves!

Marco.

Macca
11-01-2019, 13:24
Saying that you care is not the same as actually caring. And the true purpose of saying that you care is to ensure that other people are aware that 'you care' - because you actually do care about what those people think of you quite a lot more than you care about the people you don't know and have never met to whom the terrible disaster has happened.

The fact is at best you can 'care' on an intellectual level, not on an emotional level. So you post that you care just so no-one is in any doubt about it and then get on with your life and I guarantee you will have forgotten all about it within ten minutes.

On the other hand if, say, a good friend calls you to tell you that he has been diagnosed with a terminal disease then you actually will care - on an emotional level. it will ruin your day, your week, it will never be far from your mind.

That's the difference between actually caring and faux-caring.

Aside from establishing your 'caring credentials' with your judgemental cronies, faux-caring is a complete waste of time - how does it benefit the afflicted people in any way? If you really cared you'd go down to your local HMV and hand over a monkey (or whatever you can afford) to each member of staff to help tide them over until they get another job. But I bet no-one is doing that are they?

Marco
11-01-2019, 13:44
I get where you're coming from, and good point about handing over a "monkey":D

However, the concern/sympathy I feel, when hearing that someone's lost their job, or had some other misfortune, liable to seriously impact upon their lives in a negative way, *is* a genuine emotion. There is nothing false about it. That is fact.

What you're talking about is the LEVEL of care shown, in terms of the above, not whether the care displayed is genuine or not, as unless you can see inside someone's head, and therefore know whether they're being disingenuous, simply for effect, or not, you're not qualified to judge.

It therefore follows that, in terms of LEVEL, you'll care far more about the misfortunes of those you know, than those you don't, but that doesn't negate one's ability to care to some degree about anything - and genuinely so, too.

Marco.

Marco
11-01-2019, 14:17
Just thinking about this more...

If you really cared you'd go down to your local HMV and hand over a monkey (or whatever you can afford) to each member of staff to help tide them over until they get another job. But I bet no-one is doing that are they?

The main reason it wouldn't happen is because no-one would go there just for that.

However, let's put it this way instead: if I were in HMV, making a purchase during a closing down sale, and there was a tin on the counter where you could make such a donation towards redundancies (and I was assured that the money was going directly to the staff, not the company), then I'd gladly give something.

Would you? Be honest:)

Marco.

rmcin626
11-01-2019, 15:01

The main reason it wouldn't happen is because no-one would go there just for that.

However, let's put it this way instead: if I were in HMV, making a purchase during a closing down sale, and there was a tin on the counter where you could make such a donation towards redundancies (and I was assured that the money was going directly to the staff, not the company), then I'd gladly give something.

Marco.

Most people are probably to busy looking for bargain than to worry about the staff.

Marco
11-01-2019, 15:09
*Exactly* my point!! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Macca
11-01-2019, 16:43

Marco.

Probably yes, but then I'm a soft touch.

Marco
11-01-2019, 17:17
Lol, and it also proves that, deep down, you're a nice person;)

Marco.

Macca
11-01-2019, 17:38
No I'm a bastard who's coincidentally also a soft touch.

Marco
11-01-2019, 17:39
:lolsign:

Marco.

struth
11-01-2019, 17:43
Never go to closing sales. Find it depressing and a tad ghoulish.
Odd idea I know

Sherwood
11-01-2019, 17:45
Saying that you care is not the same as actually caring. And the true purpose of saying that you care is to ensure that other people are aware that 'you care' - because you actually do care about what those people think of you quite a lot more than you care about the people you don't know and have never met to whom the terrible disaster has happened.

The fact is at best you can 'care' on an intellectual level, not on an emotional level. So you post that you care just so no-one is in any doubt about it and then get on with your life and I guarantee you will have forgotten all about it within ten minutes.

On the other hand if, say, a good friend calls you to tell you that he has been diagnosed with a terminal disease then you actually will care - on an emotional level. it will ruin your day, your week, it will never be far from your mind.

That's the difference between actually caring and faux-caring.

Aside from establishing your 'caring credentials' with your judgemental cronies, faux-caring is a complete waste of time - how does it benefit the afflicted people in any way? If you really cared you'd go down to your local HMV and hand over a monkey (or whatever you can afford) to each member of staff to help tide them over until they get another job. But I bet no-one is doing that are they?

I do find this thread quite depressing so this will be my last contribution. I do not have a finite amount of goodwill for my fellow man. Furthermore, the idea that my concern is diminished if I do not translate that into a financial contribution is something I find very troubling. On a practical note, my financial means are limited and my donations are prioritised to where I feel I can make the biggest difference. Currently this entails support for a specific orphanage in Malawi: a country I have worked in several times over 30 years!

AJSki2fly
11-01-2019, 17:54
+ 1

Having been made redundant a number of times its horrible. And I do care about those that are. Its harder when you are older. I am employed currently, but not at the same level I once was and so far todate I have failed to get back to that level.

Daleks always come back. :lol:

Pigmy Pony
11-01-2019, 19:21
Lol, and it also proves that, deep down, you're a nice person;)

Marco.

Not sure that's true - a couple of days ago I cycled down to Stoke with a view to buying some JBL speakers Macca was selling. It was a long slog, especially as my mountain bike has chunky tyres. When I got there I found that the speakers were HUGE, and no way could I carry them on my push bike. Macca had no sympathy, saying I should have checked the dimensions before setting off. So I had to cycle back to Chorley empty handed, and with a punctured front tyre.

Oh hang on, it was a dream. What the bleedin' hell's Macca doing in my dreams? I think this forum's addling me brains.

By the way, the JBL's sounded awesome.

Macca
11-01-2019, 23:00
That's all complete bollocks except it's true I would have had no sympathy.

They say dreams are wishes.

Pigmy Pony
11-01-2019, 23:47
The baffles were that JBL blue, they had eight very big drivers each and were the size of American fridges. I bet your neighbours love you :)

Slammed56
11-01-2019, 23:55
One of my mates is a manager in the Glasgow Branch and as of yet things are still in limbo
No stock being replenished by suppliers ,as expected by any business in this position , but equally no word from higher up the food chain either ,so at the moment it’s all a bit up in the air

Sherwood
12-01-2019, 07:02
Daleks always come back. :lol:

EMPATHISE! EMPATHISE!

Sorry, I meant EXTERMINATE! :wowzer:

Pigmy Pony
12-01-2019, 08:02
One of my mates is a manager in the Glasgow Branch and as of yet things are still in limbo
No stock being replenished by suppliers ,as expected by any business in this position , but equally no word from higher up the food chain either ,so at the moment it’s all a bit up in the air

Yeah, being "in limbo" has got to be a killer for staff morale.

I'm going in this morning to but a record to show my support. Nah, I was going in anyway!

Where'd you get your user name from? Or are you Mr. McMillan of Scottish techno duo Slam? :D

struth
12-01-2019, 08:07
Yeah, being "in limbo" has got to be a killer for staff morale.

I'm going in this morning to but a record to show my support. Nah, I was going in anyway!

Where'd you get your user name from? Or are you Mr. McMillan of Scottish techno duo Slam? :D

was at mam leisure when they(Chrysalis) called time on them. no other reason than it wasnt profitable enough in some regions. they started selling the unprofitable ones and found they liked the cash so closed the whole thing, making loads redundant.
thats the unmoral side of big business. bastards

Marco
12-01-2019, 09:59
The baffles were that JBL blue, they had eight very big drivers each and were the size of American fridges. I bet your neighbours love you :)

Can I have some of what you're on?;)

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
12-01-2019, 10:38
Can I have some of what you're on?;)

Marco.

It was a school night, so the only thing I was on was a Tempur mattress :(

Next time I go dream-cycling, I'll go to Wrexham instead of Stoke. Y'know, he never even offered me a brew, the tight get.

Macca
12-01-2019, 10:59
It was a school night, so the only thing I was on was a Tempur mattress :(

Next time I go dream-cycling, I'll go to Wrexham instead of Stoke. Y'know, he never even offered me a brew, the tight get.

Given we have never met your dream is uncannily accurate about me.

Pigmy Pony
12-01-2019, 11:33
It's an assumption based on your avatar which gives a "Do I look like a F-ing people person?" impression :D while the images in avatars are for the most part not of the actual member, they do have some effect I'm sure. I've never met Robert (Robbiegong) either, but I imagine him looking rather like Bob Marley. My avatar is a blank space, which sums me up perfectly.

Maybe this is just the way my head is wired - similarly, when I read posts, the voice in my head is my own, as I don't know what they sound like. When I recently spoke to Marco I was surprised to hear a Scottish accent although really I knew it would be. I thought he might sound a bit more like Duncan Norville. :)

Pigmy Pony
12-01-2019, 11:35
Just a bit of nonsense while waiting for the 300b's to warm up :)

Minstrel SE
13-01-2019, 01:05
OOh nice person alert. Bit of a bugger though that this is your opinion on peoples livelyhoods and retail in general by the looks of things. I am quite sure in doing so that you are quite safe in the position you hold that enables you to do so. Very lucky person.........until it arrives at your door, then things change a little and it will one day.

I like Physical media and as such,I can touch, I can own it, I can converse with those who sell it to me.

Thats completely unfair and you get this on forums where people think they can have a go. I said I have sympathy with any person who has no work. Your point is nonsensical. Am I supposed to support every staff member of a failing business....oooh think of the staff. When Jaguar Landrover laid off 1000 workers did you go round with a goody bag for each of them?...exactly and you seem to be attacking me for being cold and heartless.

Its a chainstore. Im sorry the store does not entice me to spend my money as you seem to love the place.

Its not my opinion of people. I help homeless people in my area but I cant financially support every person without work

Things have arrived at my door. Ive been through real shit I can assure you. Ive lived on the streets and not once did an HMV staff member come round to help pay the bills before I hit the streets....get my obvious point.

Having a go at me is unacceptable because you are implying that Im gloating and dont give a damn about anyone. You know them all personally and go and help out do you?

You havent read my thread...I said Im not gloating...I just cant see how the stores can survive. I had to retrain, I still struggled and the world doesnt owe anyone a living.

Dr Winston O Boogie
13-01-2019, 06:08
Thats completely unfair and you get this on forums where people think they can have a go. I said I have sympathy with any person who has no work. Your point is nonsensical. Am I supposed to support every staff member of a failing business....oooh think of the staff. When Jaguar Landrover laid off 1000 workers did you go round with a goody bag for each of them?...exactly and you seem to be attacking me for being cold and heartless.

Its a chainstore. Im sorry the store does not entice me to spend my money as you seem to love the place.

Its not my opinion of people. I help homeless people in my area but I cant financially support every person without work

Things have arrived at my door. Ive been through real shit I can assure you. Ive lived on the streets and not once did an HMV staff member come round to help pay the bills before I hit the streets....get my obvious point.

Having a go at me is unacceptable because you are implying that Im gloating and dont give a damn about anyone. You know them all personally and go and help out do you?

You havent read my thread...I said Im not gloating...I just cant see how the stores can survive. I had to retrain, I still struggled and the world doesnt owe anyone a living.

I don't know them personaly no, but I do know people in retail so can sympathise with their lot.

HMV is store I use a lot and if it's gone will miss it quite a bit and yes I did love the place, you don't so it does not impact you, so why comment?

Marco
13-01-2019, 21:20
My avatar is a blank space, which sums me up perfectly.

I can give you a nice (rather apt) avatar if you want:eyebrows:

Marco.

Minstrel SE
13-01-2019, 22:20
I don't know them personaly no, but I do know people in retail so can sympathise with their lot.

HMV is store I use a lot and if it's gone will miss it quite a bit and yes I did love the place, you don't so it does not impact you, so why comment?

So you are saying that all comments on an open forum should be oh dear I loved the place. Its worth commenting on because it was a large operation that seems to have been left behind. Its more a comment on how things are changing in a tougher and more competitive economy.

Its the faux concern for staff that bothers me because you dont spend the month worrying about all the people you havent traded with. So its a low blow mentioning staff as if I dont care on a basic human level.

I didnt expect to be judged as a cold and heartless. Yes why comment on a thread thats going nowhere as we all know why HMV are failing. Im surprised that anybody likes the place enough to be really upset. Ive moved on and get all the music I need elsewhere

Marco
13-01-2019, 22:24
Guys, let's nip it in the bud right there, before things escalate any further. It's a difference of opinion, and no need for anyone to get personal. Just agree to disagree and move on, please. Ta!:cool:

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
14-01-2019, 07:53
I can give you a nice (rather apt) avatar if you want:eyebrows:

Marco.

Hmm, that sounds like it could be fun, so go for it! :D As long as it's not that one of you in those trousers you "altered".

The only reason I don't have one is because I don't know how.

Marco
14-01-2019, 23:03
Enjoy...

:eyebrows::eyebrows:

I'm told that the likeness is uncanny, and all the rage in 'certain bars' in Chorley!

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
15-01-2019, 19:01
Enjoy...

:eyebrows::eyebrows:

I'm told that the likeness is uncanny, and all the rage in 'certain bars' in Chorley!

Marco.

Yes the "Italian" look is very popular here, just ask Tuscany Trevor. Unfortunately he does get a bit of stick from the locals, and is thinking of moving to Brighton, or Wrexham, where he can mix with like minded souls.

Dr Winston O Boogie
15-01-2019, 19:40
Well been paid off today, so yes I can feel totally sad for HMV staff, nothing faux about it...........as it is shite.

Pigmy Pony
15-01-2019, 20:10
Sorry to hear that Barry, and I'm not being "faux" either. It's a shadow that hangs over many of us. What is (was) your job?

Dr Winston O Boogie
15-01-2019, 20:16
Sorry to hear that Barry, and I'm not being "faux" either. It's a shadow that hangs over many of us. What is (was) your job?

Deep sea cable and plough equipment. Just a storeman though.

I am so down tonight mate.

Gonna play some vinyl and maybe a couple of Jack & Cokes will help.:)

struth
15-01-2019, 21:10
Yup John Daniels will help. Never nice to get laid off. Bounce right back barry

Marco
15-01-2019, 21:53
Yup John Daniels will help. Never nice to get laid off. Bounce right back barry

+1 (with bells on), and hope things pick up soon!

Marco.

Dr Winston O Boogie
16-01-2019, 13:39
Cheers everyone. I hope so.:)

Dr Winston O Boogie
05-02-2019, 07:46
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47127520?fbclid=IwAR2fhW0QdgQpPG-7q_ccFt68EW5gC1MI-p1hTB9u3cCW4Y721BSsegv5qGc

Spectral Morn
05-02-2019, 08:48
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47127520?fbclid=IwAR2fhW0QdgQpPG-7q_ccFt68EW5gC1MI-p1hTB9u3cCW4Y721BSsegv5qGc

Interesting, but having read up on the sunrise approach, I suspect the rescue will be short lived as it doesnt seem to take into account the massive changes in high street shopping, never mind changes in music/video consumption.

I do hope the Belfast shop is among those being saved, as its loss for NI and Belfast would be huge.

struth
05-02-2019, 08:59
Interesting, but having read up on the sunrise approach, I suspect the rescue will be short lived as it doesnt seem to take into account the massive changes in high street shopping, never mind changes in music/video consumption.

I do hope the Belfast shop is among those being saved, as its loss for NI and Belfast would be huge.

would think the bigger prestige shops will remain.

Spectral Morn
05-02-2019, 10:19
would think the bigger prestige shops will remain.

I hope so Grant, but those shops underperforming might get axed, and the Belfast store could be one. I hope not.

struth
05-02-2019, 10:29
I dare say any stores that are losing a lot of cash will be pruned unless they can trim them

Svend N
05-02-2019, 15:18
FYI, an article in today's Financial Post about this:

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/update-1-uk-music-retailer-hmv-sold-to-canadas-sunrise-records

Svend N
06-02-2019, 14:08
More vinyl coming to HMV UK:

https://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/oh-well-be-profitable-this-year-sunrise-ceo-confident-he-can-rescue-u-k-based-hmv

willbewill
07-02-2019, 00:57
Disappointed that the Fopp store in Bristol is closing.

walpurgis
07-02-2019, 09:09

Never heard of that. What's a Fopp anyway?

struth
07-02-2019, 09:24
Never heard of that. What's a Fopp anyway?

they are record stores owned by hmv.

Spectral Morn
07-02-2019, 11:24

That is sad news. Fopp was its own thing when it was independent and while Fopp under HMV was sort of HMV lite, they still retained some of the Fopp vibe so Fopp shops going is a loss.

I see no mention of the Belfast HMV shop closing, cautious smile.

Pete The Cat
16-06-2019, 07:16
The vinyl section in my HMV seems to have been on steroids lately and now covers about a fifth of the space. Even better, they've installed waist height racks with a bit of space in them. The old ones were stepped so that the rear (highest) section was pretty much unviewable even for someone 6 foot tall, and the albums were all rammed in so you couldn't browse them without bending them. Several titles at £9.99 now too. Things are looking up :)

Pete

Minstrel SE
19-06-2019, 09:05
Vinyl saves HMV! :) If only they hadnt stocked those pesky cds

Now all they need to do is convert some space to beard trimming and a delicatessen.

Barry
19-06-2019, 09:40
No, they need to open up a café like they do in Waterstones, where you can read and have a coffee at the same time! There is an acute shortage of coffee shops in the high street these days - we need a few more.

Either that, or employ staff who know a bit more about the records they sell, apart from the price.