PDA

View Full Version : Humax Foxsat HDR plus internet

dave2010
23-12-2018, 12:35
Not sure if this is the right place for this post.

I'm trying to sort out wiring etc. for satellite TV. The immediate thing is to get the Humax Foxsat PVR working again.
I noticed as I plugged it in that it has an ethernet connection, but I don't recall that ever being any use on this model.

For the moment I've left the internet cable out, but I wonder if this unit will actually do anything useful if it is connected.
I looked at the manual to see if there's anything, but it says it's for future use. I wonder if there have been any upgrades for this model which would cause anything to happen.

I also found a page about Freesat + Internet, and it looks as thought newer PVR models do have on demand channels and apps - presumably rather like the Roku, Now TV, Amazon Fire and smart TV interfaces. So did Humax just leave the early models out to dry, or is there an upgrade I can do which will enable on demand features on this box?

I won't bother unless there's an easy/reliable upgrade, as I have other ways of getting the features on other kit, and I don't want to upset the operation of this unit.

struth
23-12-2018, 12:48
Think its for contents sharing with other devices such as PC and NAS through Home Networking. Also could be used for updates to software I guess.
You can also access the BBC iPlayer service, and others this way.

dave2010
23-12-2018, 14:37
That's what I expect - though I think the box as it is now might just ignore it all. I think a software upgrade would be needed to make it work.
There's no guarantee that'd do anything either, as a Manhattan box which did do catchup on iPlayer stopped working with that a year or two back due to system changes at the broadcaster's end. Manufacturers often give up on upgrades if they feel that there's not enough demand, or if the hardware is too challenged to keep track of system changes.

Spectral Morn
23-12-2018, 15:47
That's what I expect - though I think the box as it is now might just ignore it all. I think a software upgrade would be needed to make it work.
There's no guarantee that'd do anything either, as a Manhattan box which did do catchup on iPlayer stopped working with that a year or two back due to system changes at the broadcaster's end. Manufacturers often give up on upgrades if they feel that there's not enough demand, or if the hardware is too challenged to keep track of system changes.

Yes that is a major issue. One of my Panasonic TVs stopped working with You Tube recently :(