PDA

View Full Version : Rega planer 3 brown resistor question

diviy
22-12-2018, 01:23
A friend of mine has a Rega planer3 turntable and has been told the brown resistor is causing him the speed problems .
here is a link to what it looks likehttps://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/download/file.php?id=14498
The problem is I can only find green bodied resistors any ideas please.

Light Dependant Resistor
22-12-2018, 02:41
Hi Gerald

You need to have power off first , then wait 10 mins - then with a multimeter - measure ohms across the resistor. It appears to be a 15,000 ohm
that accords with the colour code Brown(1) Green(5) Orange(000) and Gold is tolerance meaning it can be within 5% of its stated value. It is a carbon 3 watt .
The resistor as pictured looks to be in good condition. The reason for waiting is there may be high voltage present on the resistor - caused by the nearby capacitor.

:stalks: Be aware the circuit when plugged in is at Mains potential. Any testing or replacement of parts MUST be done with POWER OFF - and if replacement parts are needed - it will be best to
disassemble the small circuit board, so that replacements are placed exactly as they were installed. You need to observe any wiring during replacement of parts remains firmly in place.

Once repaired and the cover is installed you can power up again, don't be anywhere near live mains parts - unless you know what you are doing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_injury

Valid replacements for the resistor if it needs changing are either a 3 watt Metal Film or a 3 watt carbon at the same resistance value.
The other pictured part is a 0.22uf ( 220n ) mains rated capacitor. Note the spacing of each component away from the other is to allow a certain amount of
heat dissipation by the resistor

YNWaN
22-12-2018, 06:39
It seems more likely to me that the capacitor is the culprit. However, the cost of both will be pennies and it is an easy fix if you can solder.

snowman_al
22-12-2018, 07:20
There are at least 4 different boards, 1 cap + 1 resistor, to 2 caps and 3 resistors for the 240 volt ac Planars and Px.
Values depend on the age and board version.

That cap in the picture often cracks. If your friend's board has one, replace it with an X rated version.