PDA

View Full Version : Greeting from the deep south

tfarney
28-05-2008, 19:57
I was invited here from the Steve Hoffman forum. I'm not sure if that is a recommendation or not. In any case, I hail from Charlotte, NC, USA, where I squeeze by as a marketing consultant - Have brand? Will advise.

My taste in equipment is defined by space limitations in a house full of folk and canines, and deeply-held beliefs that:

1) The point of diminishing returns regarding electronic components is pretty close to the ground.

2) That same point, regarding transducers, is pretty close to heaven.

3) Most home systems are more limited by the rooms they're in than by the equipment they contain.

This belief system has lead me to headphone and near-field systems fetishes that could run out of control the moment I'm given control of too much money.

I love old jazz, new Americana and nearly everything Van Morrison ever recorded, damned pudgy little drunken Celtic god. I have a really bad, nearly unforgivable, terribly guilty love of country with a deep Southern twang. Give me Dwight Yoakam; you can have Shania Twain. Well, I'll watch. But I know where the mute button is...

Tim

tfarney
28-05-2008, 20:02
Damn, I did it again! I keep telling myself that the next time I sign up for a music board I'm going to call myself Felonious Punk. But I signed in as TFarney again. It's a bitch being old and boring and set in your ways.

Tim

Filterlab
28-05-2008, 20:03
Hey Tim, welcome to the forum. Glad you got here regardless of the path. :)

Some excellent points there, particularly the second. Personally I believe that the speakers are the most important components as these essentially are the 'musical' component. Unfortunately the best are expensive, but it's fun trying out the ones lower down the price scale. Whatever the speaker, the room (as you quite rightly say) is a massive governing factor and the two have to suit one another.

Something I found particularly interesting when I had a pair of five foot electrostats in a British flat lounge - talk about swamped!

Anyway, enough welcoming blather!

:)

Filterlab
28-05-2008, 20:04
Damn, I did it again! I keep telling myself that the next time I sign up for a music board I'm going to call myself Felonious Punk. But I signed in as TFarney again. It's a bitch being old and boring and set in your ways.

Tim

I can change your username if you wish to become a lurker under a different name. :)

tfarney
28-05-2008, 20:32
I can change your username if you wish to become a lurker under a different name. :)

Nah, no need to lurk around, I can be obnoxious under my own moniker. And I have no idea if I'm really right about my principle audio beliefs, by the way. I just know they keep me safe and warm while I listen on the cheap! I wouldn't want to start believing in silver wire, tube DACs and a bunch of other stuff I can't afford. Just an exercise in frustration.

Tim

doodoos
28-05-2008, 20:52
As you are into country, hope you have heard 'letters from sinners and strangers' by Eilen Jewell -- utter magic, in my humble opinion.

Jay
28-05-2008, 21:36
Welcome, it's good to see some folks from NC here (I'm a huge bluegrass fan). Outstanding Avatar too, Jay

Marco
28-05-2008, 21:57
Hi Tim,

Welcome!

I like your style :smoking:

Marco.

BajaGringo
29-05-2008, 00:57
Welcome Tim. I am not the biggest fan of Country Music as a genre but there are some titles I like a lot. Just yesterday I finally located a digital track of one of Charlie Rich's albums I liked from the 70's called "Nobody but You", that had only been available on vinyl. The track "Life Goes On" from that album has been a tune I have been humming in my head for 30 years and haven't actually listened to it play in over 20 years.

Look forward to sharing with you here on the forum...

Kurt-Holz
29-05-2008, 02:57
Hey Tim

welcome to the board, in comparison to most members we are fairly close in geography.

I wish the diminishing returns myth was true, unfortunately my climb up the ladder always seems to lead me up and happier

there is some satisfaction in finding a nice sound at a bargain

i'm trying to put a secondary system together and keep it cheap, i did find a very cheap tube integrated from China on audiogon, it really works well for less than $700

good luck in the audio addiction

Kurt