PDA

View Full Version : Off to pick up some new speakers soon

Gaz
20-12-2018, 15:47
Going to pick up a pair of Epos M5s in a bit, I had some ELS3s a few years ago and loved the sound but found them a bit lacking in lower end clout, hopefully the larger M5s will be a bit better in that department.

I'll report back when I've had a good listen

Gaz
21-12-2018, 14:39
Well I have to say that after a few hours I'm very impressed

I was initially sceptical when I saw that they were still very small speakers, but their sound certainly belies their size, obviously we're not talking floor shaking bass but they certainly have sufficient low end presence.
The detail and clarity is probably what impresses most especially with vocals. If I had to find fault I would say perhaps some high piano notes are a little harsh and there's a hint of lispiness at higher volumes.
Overall for the £130 I paid for them I'm very happy and my Quadrals will be retired immediately.

Pigmy Pony
21-12-2018, 15:44
Congratulations Gary, looks like you got a bit of a bargain. Do you think you'll leave it at that, or maybe try a Creek amp with them? I read that they work well together, but then they would say that wouldn't they :)

Macca
21-12-2018, 15:55
Stereophile were quite keen on them back in the day.

You've never fancied going for something a bit bigger though? I mean they are pretty dinky.

Gaz
21-12-2018, 16:23
Stereophile were quite keen on them back in the day.

You've never fancied going for something a bit bigger though? I mean they are pretty dinky.

Sadly I am totally unable to convince Mrs Gaz that there is very little difference in overall size between bookshelf speakers on stands and foorstanders, which she refers to as "big ugly things"
So the answer is no, in the interest of domestic marmony

Gaz
21-12-2018, 16:30
Congratulations Gary, looks like you got a bit of a bargain. Do you think you'll leave it at that, or maybe try a Creek amp with them? I read that they work well together, but then they would say that wouldn't they :)

I did have a Creek 4040 many years ago, bought to replace my trusty old NAD 3020, it turned out I prefered the NAD and sold the Creek.
I haven't heard much about their newer offerings so haven't really considered it.
If I replace my amp it would probably be with a chuffing great Sony ES or Roksan Kandy

Pigmy Pony
21-12-2018, 16:41
Sadly I am totally unable to convince Mrs Gaz that there is very little difference in overall size between bookshelf speakers on stands and foorstanders, which she refers to as "big ugly things"
So the answer is no, in the interest of domestic marmony

Women. Difficult to understand, and I'm too lazy to try. I usually let Mrs. Pony have things her way, so if it turns to shit I can't be blamed :) And luckily for me she likes "big ugly things".

And she thinks standmounts look like robots, so my floorstanders are safe.

Pharos
21-12-2018, 23:13
Never understood the preference for standmounts. What are we going to use the space under the speaker for exactly?

And, the instability and need for retention bolts, and children knocking them over?

Pigmy Pony
22-12-2018, 00:00
Just the contrary nature of our "better" half. If we could just fool them into thinking we'd really rather have standmounts, they'd object on the grounds of them being a pig to hoover under :(

bosa
22-12-2018, 07:39
I did have a Creek 4040 many years ago, bought to replace my trusty old NAD 3020, it turned out I prefered the NAD and sold the Creek.
I haven't heard much about their newer offerings so haven't really considered it.
If I replace my amp it would probably be with a chuffing great Sony ES or Roksan Kandy

Good choice Gary. My daughter has my old M5s on the end of a Roksan Kandy amp. They sound much better than they should at the price, I paid about the same. Good detail, I think the treble is good with this combo and punchy bass if not deep.

dave2010
22-12-2018, 14:43
Women. Difficult to understand, and I'm too lazy to try. I usually let Mrs. Pony have things her way, so if it turns to shit I can't be blamed :) And luckily for me she likes "big ugly things".

And she thinks standmounts look like robots, so my floorstanders are safe.Lucky you. I just give up. I have floorstanders, and others, but they never get used these days. There is one splendid lady who posts on another site who is very clearly into high quality kit, but mostly "they" just don't seem to get it - would rather have something which "looks nice" and "not big" to something which will blow your mind away.

No point in starting a war though .....

Macca
22-12-2018, 14:51
Most houses have 2 reception rooms, why can't one be free of hi-fi and the other be a hi-fi 'free fire zone'? Seems like an equitable arrangement.

Pigmy Pony
23-12-2018, 14:10
You'll be talking about 'the parlour' then. A very under used room. Just evict the piano and aspidistra, and you're good to go.

As the main use for this room was to have somewhere to put the coffin, with space around it so folk can come and have a look, you may have to be a bit flexible and maybe turn down the Frank Zappa until they've gone.

struth
23-12-2018, 14:12
my gran had a parlour. rarely used... grandad did his stamps in there. only rarely was anyone allowed in otherwise, bar when a distinguished guest came. everything else was in one room, bar the beds

Macca
23-12-2018, 14:55
my gran had a parlour. rarely used... grandad did his stamps in there. only rarely was anyone allowed in otherwise, bar when a distinguished guest came. everything else was in one room, bar the beds

Yes likewise. I suppose in some houses it's the 'dining room'. But you don't really need a dining room. I mean food tastes the same wherever you eat it. Whereas a dedicated hi-fi room is pretty much essential if you're going to get the full benefit.

Roy S
24-12-2018, 09:01
Yes likewise. I suppose in some houses it's the 'dining room'. But you don't really need a dining room. I mean food tastes the same wherever you eat it. Whereas a dedicated hi-fi room is pretty much essential if you're going to get the full benefit.

Gave my dining table & chairs to the charity shop as it barely got used & presto dedicated listening area [emoji846]

struth
24-12-2018, 09:14
got a fold up dinner table and 4 chairs inside. it does a job but hasnt been used for anything more than storage shelf for years

walpurgis
24-12-2018, 09:18
Threw the dining table out ages ago. Did everybody a favour (the wife moaned, even though she'd not used it in ten years).

struth
24-12-2018, 09:23

mum's house had a dining room, which was used as a bedroom and the downstairs bedroom as a diningroom.. it was at back of house and always dark, so dad hated it as a bedroom.
we had fancy meals like xmas/new year in there on the big table, but normally ate in kitchen as it was big too and had a big table in it.(warmer too as it was always in use.
dining room was used as a music room otherwise

high.spirits
25-12-2018, 10:05
You'll be talking about 'the parlour' then. A very under used room. Just evict the piano and aspidistra, and you're good to go.

As the main use for this room was to have somewhere to put the coffin, with space around it so folk can come and have a look, you may have to be a bit flexible and maybe turn down the Frank Zappa until they've gone.

:lol:

Conan
25-12-2018, 10:16
No dining table?
Where do you guys eat?

Pigmy Pony
25-12-2018, 14:05
No dining table?
Where do you guys eat?

I like to dine approximately six feet from the telly.

Conan
25-12-2018, 15:25
Gogglebox comes to mind 😁

Pharos
25-12-2018, 15:39
A dining table to me implies group or community.

Scooby
25-12-2018, 19:29
Dining rooms are often smaller than living rooms. I couldn’t be doing with a 10x10 listening room. Better to open up the space and claim the whole lot as a listening room.

walpurgis
25-12-2018, 19:38
Dining rooms are often smaller than living rooms. I couldn’t be doing with a 10x10 listening room. Better to open up the space and claim the whole lot as a listening room.

My 'den' was the dining room many years ago and is around 11' by 10'. It makes a great listening room as I have packed bookcases all round and they keep sound reflections right down.

Pigmy Pony
25-12-2018, 21:10
My 'den' was the dining room many years ago and is around 11' by 10'. It makes a great listening room as I have packed bookcases all round and they keep sound reflections right down.

I agree. I don't think a large room is the be all and end all. If the room is set up right, as well as listening position, no reason why it can't be great. As for speaker size, my view is that if you can't get them through the door, they're probably too big for the room :)

walpurgis
25-12-2018, 21:13
As for speaker size, my view is that if you can't get them through the door, they're probably too big for the room :)

My Tannoy Cheviots work great in this room. No boom at all and they're not exactly small.