PDA

View Full Version : Shpongle convert!

Pigmy Pony
20-12-2018, 15:46
After a mention by Geoff Walpurgis, and a link provided by Steve (Pierre) I decided to give them a go. Until now I only knew of Shpongle through AOS members, and must admit I was a little put off by the name, sounding like something Brian Pern rejected before settling on Thotch.

Nothing like I was expecting! I spent the time during the first two or three tracks trying to decide what it was like - a bit like The Orb, no, more like Future Sound of London - and finally decided it actually didn't really sound like anything else. Did however remind me a bit of a couple of "Megadog" events I went to at Manchester Academy in the early nineties, with acts like Eat Static and Banco De Gaia.

Anyway, I've got a few tracks saved in my favourites now, and I intend to check out some related stuff (Younger Brother and Hallucinogen).

Interesting times ahead! Now I wonder if those mushrooms I put in the freezer in 1974 will still work? :D

The Black Adder
20-12-2018, 16:04
Lol... Shpongle are FAB.

I've known them since their first album but lost touch for a number of years. Their last few offerings have been totally brilliant.

Hallucinogen is just is good but in a more relaxed way.

Glad you've been Shpongled. [emoji16][emoji344][emoji106]

Mushies, yup... Lol Last time I had any was at a chemical bros concert a looong time ago.

Yes, I threw shapes.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

walpurgis
20-12-2018, 16:07
Nothing like I was expecting! I spent the time during the first two or three tracks trying to decide what it was like - a bit like The Orb, no, more like Future Sound of London - and finally decided it actually didn't really sound like anything else. Did however remind me a bit of a couple of "Megadog" events I went to at Manchester Academy in the early nineties, with acts like Eat Static and Banco De Gaia.

Anyway, I've got a few tracks saved in my favourites now, and I intend to check out some related stuff (Younger Brother and Hallucinogen)

You are right Steve, Shpongle do not sound like anything else. Others may come close in style though. And Younger Brother and Hallucinogen are well worth checking out. All three acts/bands being associated with Simon Posford, he's a clever guy.

If you do a Discogs search on the above, you will be offered links to other similar music, many of which can be heard on YouTube.

I have dozens of albums of this type of music and still give my Eat Static a spin too and Ozric Tentacles.

AJSki2fly
20-12-2018, 17:20
It got the better of me and I've been Shpongle'd. I rather like them. :)

Pigmy Pony
20-12-2018, 17:34
Lol... Shpongle are FAB.

I've known them since their first album but lost touch for a number of years. Their last few offerings have been totally brilliant.

Hallucinogen is just is good but in a more relaxed way.

Glad you've been Shpongled. [emoji16][emoji344][emoji106]

Mushies, yup... Lol Last time I had any was at a chemical bros concert a looong time ago.

Yes, I threw shapes.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

I also threw shapes in the nineties, unfortunately they were mostly round. Didn't stop me trying though. Chemical Brothers were very good at getting you moving!

Haselsh1
18-01-2019, 16:12
Check out The Peaking Goddess Collective and Flooting Grooves as well. Bloody good stuff.

;)

Haselsh1
18-01-2019, 16:14
Early Ozric tentacles are bloody amazing too but in a totally different way. Pungent Effulgent and Erpland are stunning albums.

walpurgis
18-01-2019, 16:28
Check out 'Pandora's Box' album by Megalon too. Well worth grabbing but not easy to find.