PDA

View Full Version : Creedence Clearwater Revival Studio Albums box set

Dr Winston O Boogie
16-12-2018, 18:29
Has anyone purchased this yet, half speed mastered at Abbey Road?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y14px43fICc

Dr Winston O Boogie
16-12-2018, 21:16
No one?

Dr Winston O Boogie
17-12-2018, 18:08
No love for this band here? :(

Macca
17-12-2018, 18:14
Yes I love Creedence. I've got a couple of their albums on vinyl but these days it's CD only for me. It is a good-looking box set though, if I was still buying vinyl I'd be very tempted.

struth
17-12-2018, 18:15
Yup I like CCR, but the boxset is overpriced

willbewill
17-12-2018, 18:24
Love CCR but already have originals of all these.

Barry
17-12-2018, 18:31
I'm quite content with a 'best of' collection of CCR.

walpurgis
17-12-2018, 18:50
I have none. It's likely to stay that way.

Macca
17-12-2018, 18:56
You don't like Creedence? :eek: If I wasn't already sitting down I'd have to sit down.

Bigman80
17-12-2018, 18:59
Not financially viable at the minute but I love CCR.

Barry
17-12-2018, 19:05
I have none. It's likely to stay that way.

Everyone needs a bit of 'swamp rock' in their collection. :D

walpurgis
17-12-2018, 19:07
You don't like Creedence? :eek: If I wasn't already sitting down I'd have to sit down.

They were OK (ish) I guess, but if you'd been going to the average hippy/acid head party circa 1970 and brought a Zappa/Floyd/Jeffersons/Crimson etc., album along nobody would have batted an eyelid, but Creedance would have been regarded as beyond the pale.

Pigmy Pony
17-12-2018, 19:09
Used to have a few Creedence singles in the seventies. These days I have "The Creedence Collection" on vinyl, which is pretty comprehensive. Can't see "Run Through The Jungle", (one of my favourites) on this new one.

Barry
17-12-2018, 19:10
Yeah - they were OK, but really no more than that. However YMMV.

Macca
17-12-2018, 19:11
They were OK (ish) I guess, but if you'd been going to the average hippy/acid head party circa 1970 and brought a Zappa/Floyd/Jeffersons/Crimson etc., album along nobody would have batted an eyelid, but Creedance would have been regarded as beyond the pale.

Well I was only 2 in 1970 but when I was older and did go to hippy/acid head parties Creedence was always well received. Mind you so were Crosby Stills and Nash so maybe it was just the drugs?

Dr Winston O Boogie
17-12-2018, 19:13
Well I was only 2 in 1970 but when I was older and did go to hippy/acid head parties Creedence was always well received. Mind you so were Crosby Stills and Nash so maybe it was just the drugs?

Oh the drugs helped.

walpurgis
17-12-2018, 19:15
Mind you so were Crosby Stills and Nash so maybe it was just the drugs?

Different. They were a serious part of 'the scene' back then (and sounded even better with some mind altering assistance).

Pigmy Pony
17-12-2018, 19:24
You could never be sure what would sound good till you played it, and then you'd find that pretty much everything sounded good. (Maybe not Cilla Black). Two of my unlikely favourites of the early 70's were "For Your Pleasure" and "Countdown to Ecstasy".

Macca
17-12-2018, 19:27
The way I see it almost all the good music was composed and probably performed under the influence of drugs so it would make sense to be drugged up whilst listening to it as well. Sort of like an MQA decoder. But with drugs.

walpurgis
17-12-2018, 19:27
You could never be sure what would sound good till you played it, and then you'd find that pretty much everything sounded good. (Maybe not Cilla Black). Two of my unlikely favourites of the early 70's were "For Your Pleasure" and "Countdown to Ecstasy".

True. Although you risked being beaten to death if caught putting The Monkeys on.

walpurgis
17-12-2018, 19:29
The way I see it almost all the good music was composed and probably performed under the influence of drugs so it would make sense to be drugged up whilst listening to it as well. Sort of like an MQA decoder. But with drugs.

Nail on head mate. So few these days actually realise that. That sort of music was created to be heard when off one's bonce.

Pigmy Pony
17-12-2018, 19:43

I suggested pretty much the same thing a few months ago, and met with almost universal disagreement. Must have been talking to the daytime "This Morning" and "Loose Women" crowd.

I wonder what would be good "off your face" listening among the stuff being made these days?

walpurgis
17-12-2018, 19:47
I wonder what would be good "off your face" listening among the stuff being made these days?

Shpongle.

Pigmy Pony
17-12-2018, 19:51
Right- I keep seeing that name in these pages, it's time I found some to listen to.

Dr Winston O Boogie
17-12-2018, 20:10
Yup I like CCR, but the boxset is overpriced

£20 per album?

willbewill
17-12-2018, 21:26
They were OK (ish) I guess, but if you'd been going to the average hippy/acid head party circa 1970 and brought a Zappa/Floyd/Jeffersons/Crimson etc., album along nobody would have batted an eyelid, but Creedance would have been regarded as beyond the pale.I was, I did and also liked CCR, reggae, folk, and a lot of other stuff...mind expansion is what it's called.

Dr Winston O Boogie
19-12-2018, 18:29
My box set has arrived at HMV so I will be picking mine up tomorrow evening (it's a Christmas prezzy), but i can't open until Christmas day.:(

Pierre De Grenoble
20-12-2018, 08:00
Right- I keep seeing that name in these pages, it's time I found some to listen to.

Well worth a listen. the first thing I ever heard was this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a83Z1d1_ERo

love em.. some of the live stuff on utube is well worth a look annal

Back on Thread, Creedence were always a little bit looked down on (I'm guilty as charged) so much so that when I picked up a pristine original UK 1st album down the booty ( 10 years ago) it sat in the "To play" pile for 6 months because it was just a CCR album.
When I finally got to play it my jaw just dropped.. superb grungy dirty swamp rock and a fantastic recording / pressing. it's now a go too album.
I have most of the recent 180g relishes but they only get played once in a while and I do think that whilst the box set is nice its overpriced..
I cannot recommend the 1st album highly enough.. The rest IMHO just don't come quite so close..

Pigmy Pony
20-12-2018, 08:22
Thank you for the Shpongle Steve, I'll be giving that a play in a couple of hours when Mrs. P leaves the house. And I'll look into that CCR first album too. I've never really gone beyond their singles output.

Dr Winston O Boogie
20-12-2018, 08:44
Well worth a listen. the first thing I ever heard was this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a83Z1d1_ERo

love em.. some of the live stuff on utube is well worth a look annal

Back on Thread, Creedence were always a little bit looked down on (I'm guilty as charged) so much so that when I picked up a pristine original UK 1st album down the booty ( 10 years ago) it sat in the "To play" pile for 6 months because it was just a CCR album.
When I finally got to play it my jaw just dropped.. superb grungy dirty swamp rock and a fantastic recording / pressing. it's now a go too album.
I have most of the recent 180g relishes but they only get played once in a while and I do think that whilst the box set is nice its overpriced..
I cannot recommend the 1st album highly enough.. The rest IMHO just don't come quite so close..

Steve as I said it works out at around £20 per album for Abbey Road half speed masters so quite a decent price.