PDA

View Full Version : One of the most beautiful albums of the year?

Marco
16-12-2018, 17:34
Alexis Ffrench, 'Evolution'...

For anyone who loves solo piano music, beautifully arranged and produced, played with a real spiritual passion and soul, this guy is a *must* listen... A fantastic album for enjoying on a cold winter's evening, such as tonight, basking in the warm glow of candlelight and twinkling lights from the Christmas tree, as I am now, and just allowing the beauty and majesty of his work to gently wash over you...

Details here: https://www.sonymusicmasterworks.com/now-watching-uk-rising-piano-star-alexis-ffrench-new-video-reborn-new-album-evolution-out-august-31-2018/

And here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alexis+ffrench+evolution+albu m

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/FXxfGK.png

Marco.

Tim
16-12-2018, 20:24
I'll give it a spin in a mo, I see from Spotify that he's playing in Cardiff on 5th February - if I like it I'll go, nice venue the Dora Stoutzker Concert Hall ;)

https://www.rwcmd.ac.uk/images/dora-stoutzker-hall.jpg

Tim
16-12-2018, 20:49
Ticket booked, £20.00 front row left of centre and printed out already :)

Barry
16-12-2018, 21:33
Not bad - a bit like Keith Jarrett in places. But half way through I became bored and I didn't like the orchestration. 6/10

Marco
16-12-2018, 21:35
Ticket booked, £20.00 front row left of centre and printed out already...

Rather good, isn't he?:)

I suspect he'll be superb live, and like you say especially in such a nice/atmospheric venue. 5th February, though? I don't know what I'm doing at five-past five tomorrow, never mind 5th February!;)

I'd be up for going though, and could well meet you there, but I'd need to wait until at least the beginning of January to see how the land lies first:cool:

Marco.

Tim
16-12-2018, 21:38
That's the only bit I didn't like too Barry - I reckon he'll be solo in February though and it's such a great room and just down the road, so I thought why not.

As a stand alone work I'd give it 7/10, have to be in the right mood for it I think and having just downed rather a lot of Rioja, I'm feeling rather mellow.

Tim
16-12-2018, 21:42
Rather good, isn't he?:)

I suspect he'll be superb live, and like you say especially in such a nice/atmospheric venue. 5th February, though? I don't know what I'm doing at five-past five tomorrow, never mind 5th February!;)

I'd be up for going though, and could well meet you there, but I'd need to wait until at least the beginning of January to see how the land lies first:cool:

Marco.

Let me know Marco, lot's a very nice eateries nearby and plenty of places to park too. The Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama is a stunning building.

https://www.rwcmd.ac.uk/images/southern-view-of-rwcmd.jpg

Mind you I doubt it'll look like that in February!

Marco
16-12-2018, 21:42
Not bad - a bit like Keith Jarrett in places. But half way through I became bored and I didn't like the orchestration. 6/10

Nah, this dude's got much more soul! Jarrett, for me, is more towards bland 'wallpaper music'. Plus, bear in mind that it's mellow chillout stuff; nothing too edgy or 'challenging':)

Marco.

Barry
16-12-2018, 21:46
Nah, this dude's got much more soul! Jarrett, for me, is much more towards being bland 'wallpaper music'. Plus, bear in mind that it's mellow chillout music; nothing too edgy or 'challenging':)

Marco.

You haven't been listening to the right Jarrett LPs then. But tastes differ - de gustibus non disputandem. :)

Marco
16-12-2018, 22:01
I've got most of his stuff, Barry. so know it reasonably well. I like him, but the music of Alexis just resonates with me more:)

Marco.

WESTLOWER
16-12-2018, 22:22
Nah, this dude's got much more soul! Jarrett, for me, is more towards bland 'wallpaper music'. Plus, bear in mind that it's mellow chillout stuff; nothing too edgy or 'challenging':)

Marco.

Couldn’t disagree more. Jarrett’s discography is vast, so bit of a sweeping view ..;)

Marco
16-12-2018, 22:42
Well, you know how music is.... It's all about how it 'connects' with you and the mood/vibe it creates - and for me, I connect with Alexis much more. He oozes soul and charisma, and has a 'wow factor', in a way that Jarrett doesn't.

I have a pile of KJ albums in my music room, which I don't know when I played last. Plus, when I first discovered him, many years ago, his music didn't move me in the way of that of Alexis - and he's WAY more cool, too!:eyebrows:

Horses for courses, amigo:cool:

Marco.

Barry
16-12-2018, 22:49
Well there are at least four other Alex Ffrench recordings available, so perhaps I ought to give them a listen.

(Looking at Amazon I counted at least 100 Keith Jarrett recordings, before I gave up!)

Marco
16-12-2018, 23:06
...aye, and once you've heard one, you've heard them all!:eek::o::lol::nono:

;)

Marco.

Barry
16-12-2018, 23:18
How so? The American Quartet recordings sound quite different to the European Quartet recordings, as do his solo concerts and his work with Jan Gabarek ....

If they all sound the same to you, why have you got "piles" of them?

(And what is the difference between 'bland wallpaper music' and 'mellow chillout stuff'?)

Marco
16-12-2018, 23:22
How so? The American Quartet recordings sound quite different to the European Quartet recordings, as do his solo concerts and his work with Jan Gabarek ....

If they all sound the same to you, why have you got "piles" of them?

(And what is the difference between 'bland wallpaper music' and 'mellow chillout stuff'?)

I was being tongue-in-cheek;)

Marco.

Barry
16-12-2018, 23:23
OK :)

Tim
17-12-2018, 10:20

That is a very good question . . .

YNWaN
17-12-2018, 11:27
I really like your suggestion Marco, slightly reminds me of Michael Nyman’s score for The Piano.

jandl100
17-12-2018, 12:16

Your mood at the time, I think.

Listening now in the bright light of day .... mmm, a bit soupy.
It probably does need curtains closed at the end of the day, with wintery winds blowing outside. :)

struth
17-12-2018, 17:19
Alexis Ffrench, 'Evolution'...

For anyone who loves solo piano music, beautifully arranged and produced, played with a real spiritual passion and soul, this guy is a *must* listen... A fantastic album for enjoying on a cold winter's evening, such as tonight, basking in the warm glow of candlelight and twinkling lights from the Christmas tree, as I am now, and just allowing the beauty and majesty of his work to gently wash over you...

Details here: https://www.sonymusicmasterworks.com/now-watching-uk-rising-piano-star-alexis-ffrench-new-video-reborn-new-album-evolution-out-august-31-2018/

And here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alexis+ffrench+evolution+albu m

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/FXxfGK.png

Marco.

got one of his albums...the singing planet. its lovely to chill to

Gazjam
17-12-2018, 17:48
I really like your suggestion Marco, slightly reminds me of Michael Nyman’s score for The Piano.

That got my attention, love that soundtrack.
Groovy...the guys got lots of albums in Tidal, I’ll start with Marco’s reccy.

Tim
17-12-2018, 23:19
Groovy, now there's a word you don't hear often, made me feel all warm and fuzzy :D

oldius
18-12-2018, 04:58
He'll be going some to best Keith Jarrett, one of the greatest pianists in the history of jazz. I shall have a listen.

Gordon Steadman
18-12-2018, 07:38
This is my week for being contrary! I disagreed with everyone about one thing on the slot racing forum.

I only look at two forums now, the slot cars as I'm still active in that and this one for a bit of nostalgia for when I had ears.

I listen on phones now. Turned up so Ronnie can listen at the other side of the room and I can just hear them!

Marco describes this as 'chill out' music. Chilled out as in dead?

I know music is a matter of taste but yikes. Simple beyond belief technically (yes I do play), boring to the point of relentlessness and guaranteed to give a good night's sleep after about a minute. I like to check out stuff I haven't heard on YouTube and confess that I usually wonder why on earth anyone would want to listen to it. Age does have the odd disadvantage but I have no problem dropping off naturally without having to have someone bore me to death:lol:

Happy Christmas to everyone - bah humbug.

jandl100
18-12-2018, 07:47
I find it hard to disagree with you, Gordon.
But, hey, we all like different things.

Happy Yuletide to you and Ronnie. :santa:

https://www.printweek.com/IMG/024/46024/merry-christmas3713-385x248.jpg?1419233876

WESTLOWER
18-12-2018, 09:37
Yup, we all like different stuff...
I have just given this the Tidal spin..Oh dear oh dear! IMHO, this is utterly pointless syrup. Just horrible.:vomfest:

To even have Keith Jarrett's name mentioned in the same universe is beyond me.:doh:

Piped music for winter wonderland or the hell that those places are.
Sounds like the score from a terrible kids cartoon featuring iceskating penguins.

I will check the rest of his output, he can obviously play the Joanna, it has get better!

Marco
18-12-2018, 10:09
:lolsign:

Love all the diversity of opinions... Hey guys, music is such a personal thing, so is going to appeal (or not) on different levels to different folks. It was simply a 'heads up' for anyone who might like his music, so I'm glad a few of you do, and who until now didn't have Alexis on your radar:)

I think he's great, but I also suspect that this album just hit the spot for me/had the right vibe with the relaxed mood I was in then, sitting beside a roaring log fire on a cold winter's day, watching candles flicker in a darkened room, illuminated only by those and the glow of the fire and lights from the Christmas tree, whist sipping a nice malt!:eyebrows:

The scene, chez-Marco, whilst playing said album:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/Q1HDTQ.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/923/RSc8rS.jpg

Cosy and comforting, so it was nice having some suitably 'comforting' music to chillax to... However, I think that Alexis has more depth to his repertoire than that, which I suspect would be more appreciated live.

It was followed by this beautiful piece of music, which for me always hits the same spot:

https://youtu.be/8Qx2lMaMsl8

Gordon, always a pleasure to see you here, old chap. Hope you're well, and I wish your good lady and you a very Happy Christmas:christmas:

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
18-12-2018, 10:14
Thanks Marco, wishes sent right back of course:)

Tim
18-12-2018, 10:36
I liken a lot of music the same as I do films, sometimes you want to watch a film that will challenge and excite you, something that keeps you guessing right to the end. Another time you might want to watch a film where you just want simple entertainment, you don't want to think or work at it, just enjoy it for what it is and the mood you're in, without over thinking it.

If you asked me what my favourite album is and then ask me that same question in a few months, chances are the answer will be different.

:cool:

struth
18-12-2018, 10:40
lakme's flower duet is one of the great bits of music. so beautiful

Marco
18-12-2018, 11:11
lakme's flower duet is one of the great bits of music. so beautiful

Indeed it is... Another one of a similar ilk, at least for me because of my Italian heritage, is Puccini's O Mio Babbino Caro, especially when sung by someone with such a beautiful voice as Katherine Jenkins:

https://youtu.be/eMF8Bw4vJmk

Guaranteed to get the hairs standing up on the back of my neck....

Marco.

Marco
18-12-2018, 11:14
I liken a lot of music the same as I do films, sometimes you want to watch a film that will challenge and excite you, something that keeps you guessing right to the end. Another time you might want to watch a film where you just want simple entertainment, you don't want to think or work at it, just enjoy it for what it is and the mood you're in, without over thinking it.

If you asked me what my favourite album is and then ask me that same question in a few months, chances are the answer will be different.

:cool:

Yup, music (at least for me) is *very* much mood-driven, and so if the vibe it creates appeals to my mood at the time (as Alexis' did), it'll hit the spot nicely:)

As for films, I'm almost always in the 'simple entertainment' category, as anything else is usually too much like hard work!;)

Marco.

brian2957
18-12-2018, 12:16
Indeed it is... Another one of a similar ilk, at least for me because of my Italian heritage, is Puccini's O Mio Babbino Caro, especially when sung by someone with such a beautiful voice as Katherine Jenkins:

https://youtu.be/eMF8Bw4vJmk

Guaranteed to get the hairs standing up on the back of my neck....

Marco.

Oooh..we were in Prague last week and attended a short one hour classical concert and that was one of the pieces which we heard . She had a stunning voice and what with the acoustics of the old chapel hall it was a ' hairs up in the back of the neck ' moment :)

Marco
18-12-2018, 12:43
Veritably the voice of an angel, mate... She has a truly God-given talent, the likes of which we only witness once in a lifetime. Bet you had some fun in Prague - that concert sounds ace!:cool:

Marco.

Barry
18-12-2018, 12:54
Yup, we all like different stuff...
I have just given this the Tidal spin..Oh dear oh dear! IMHO, this is utterly pointless syrup. Just horrible.:vomfest:

To even have Keith Jarrett's name mentioned in the same universe is beyond me.:doh:

That was me - I simply meant that at times his playing reminded me of Keith Jarrett (as it did of Michael Nyman). At no time did I say I thought Alexis's playing was as good.

I think "vomfest" is going a bit far - I just got bored with it fairly quickly, and I dislike orchestral arrangements.

But each to their own. :)

Marco
18-12-2018, 13:15
I don't think you'd have got as bored with it, sounding superb, if we'd been sharing the same environment, in front of a roaring log fire sipping a nice (crystal goblet) or three of Lagavulin 16;)

Marco.

WESTLOWER
18-12-2018, 13:19
That was me - I simply meant that at times his playing reminded me of Keith Jarrett (as it did of Michael Nyman). At no time did I say I thought Alexis's playing was as good.

I think "vomfest" is going a bit far - I just got bored with it fairly quickly, and I dislike orchestral arrangements.

But each to their own. :)

Indeed, each to their own!..
Vomfest was tongue in cheek.

Marco
18-12-2018, 13:30
The point for me is that whilst I acknowledge the talents of KJ, and enjoy his music, it doesn't give me a 'warm glow' - and that day I wanted a warm glow!:ner:;)

Marco.

Barry
18-12-2018, 13:37
I don't think you'd have got as bored with it, sounding superb, if we'd been sharing the same environment, in front of a roaring log fire sipping a nice (crystal goblet) or three of Lagavulin 16;)

Marco.

I think after three goblets of Lagavulin 16 (excellent choice BTW), I would listen to just about anything! :lol:

(BTW, I'm 879 posts away from that bottle of Margaux you said you would give me for my 20th khilad! Get saving! ;))

WESTLOWER
18-12-2018, 13:37
The point for me is that whilst I acknowledge the talents of KJ, and enjoy his music, it doesn't give me a 'warm glow' - and that day I wanted a warm glow!:ner:;)

Marco.

yes looking at your nice cosy environment, I get that.

Marco
18-12-2018, 14:02
I'm in a similar (musical) mood today, as the terrible weather outside makes for being all nicely wrapped up and warm indoors:)

This is hitting the spot so far, in that respect, as I tuck into a piping hot bowl of Del's home-made Scotch Broth:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/rMNKit.jpg

;)

Marco.

Marco
18-12-2018, 14:09
I think after three goblets of Lagavulin 16 (excellent choice BTW), I would listen to just about anything! :lol:

(BTW, I'm 879 posts away from that bottle of Margaux you said you would give me for my 20th khilad! Get saving! ;))

Ha - I don't need to save up for it; it already resides on my wine rack!

So keep posting;)

Marco.

brian2957
18-12-2018, 17:08
Veritably the voice of an angel, mate... She has a truly God-given talent, the likes of which we only witness once in a lifetime. Bet you had some fun in Prague - that concert sounds ace!:cool:

Marco.

yup , second time there Marco . This time the Christmas markets were in full swing . Open air concerts all day every day and food everywhere . The architecture is beautiful :)

WESTLOWER
18-12-2018, 17:13
I'm in a similar (musical) mood today, as the terrible weather outside makes for being all nicely wrapped up and warm indoors:)

This is hitting the spot so far, in that respect, as I tuck into a piping hot bowl of Del's home-made Scotch Broth:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/rMNKit.jpg

;)

Marco.

now you are talking brother!

Tim
05-02-2019, 21:23
Well I’m assuming you didn’t go to see Alexis Ffrench tonight Marco? And to put your mind at rest, you didn’t miss anything IMO.

I struggled through around 30 minutes before leaving, which was a little awkward, as I was in the front row with Alexis about 5 feet directly in front of me! If I’d have been more toward the back, I would have left earlier.

The music itself was very good and I enjoyed his compositions, what totally ruined it for me were pre-recorded orchestrations that he played from some sort of digital playback device as an accompaniment. This was further spoilt by a screen at the back with meaningless banal coloured nature scenes, that for me were a distraction from the music. If he had just sat at that beautiful Steinway and played without any added frippery it would have been great, but alas not. He’s clearly talented and I’m struggling to understand why he thinks all that tinsel add on bollocks is necessary?

On a more positive note, he’s a very personable and likeable guy, chatty between songs and came across as very genuine - I liked him a lot. The venue is also beautiful, so I’ll be sure to look out for other concerts there. Great access too, with car-parks right outside which are free after 6pm and the bar prices are good, 5 quid for a glass of red wine and a bag of crisps is OK in my book.

Strictly no pictures during the show, but I took this beforehand.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4875/46274306674_e9d7625fc3_c.jpg

Marco
05-02-2019, 22:36
No I wasn't there, Tim - forgot all about it, mate! Interesting comments, though... Judging by that, I'd have done the same. However, the important thing is that the guy clearly has talent.

I think he needs to drop all that superficial 'flowery' shit, which appeals to the masses, or which provides the musical backdrop during candlelit aromatherapy sessions, for ladies in Chigwell beauty salons, and do something artier/edgier and less mainstream, which will make his music appeal to more discerning listeners.

I still like him though, and will be following his progress and musical journey with interest:cool:

Marco.

Marco
05-02-2019, 22:38
now you are talking brother!

That was good shit, Adam. Plenty more stuff like that in my collection!:)

Marco.