PDA

View Full Version : Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Butuz
26-04-2010, 22:13
I was a bit underwhelmed when I first picked a pair of these up on a whim. I wanted to find out what modern day 5 star what hifi budget speakers actually sound like as my Heybrooks are 1998 vintage.

Compared to my old Heybrooks the 10.1's lack scale - that was my first thought.

After probably about 30 hours now, the 10.1s are really starting to shine. Heybrooks may have scale and quite a lot of low bass, but they have too much midrange and bad treble 10.1s have much more control and much higher better treble. With cymbals Heybrook goes "tssshhhtt" and 10.1s go "tsst" if that makes sense. It's not just treble though - literally every instrument sounds more realistic on the 10.1s. I think they exibit less fakery than the heybrooks and more natural beauty!!

I really like them now!

Also the 10.1's are great for listening to quietly like at 11pm - I can still hear alot of detail wheras the Heybrooks at low volume sound like quiet mud. they Heybrooks are tiresome to listen to especially 80db + wheras the 10.1s just seem to keep me listening even at higher volumes.

Really for £199 these seem great though I have hardly owt else to compare them to. One thing's for sure the pile of cd's being re-listened to is growing every night. I guess thats the best praise I can give the 10.1s!

Crap review I know - but see my sig - I am a n00b after all!!! :D

Butuz

aquapiranha
27-04-2010, 20:56
Wharfedale have made some cracking speakers over the years, especially when looking for 'cheaper' speakers. The 9.3 (?) was very popular, and I hear the Opus models are good. And who could forget the Diamonds????

Enjoy it matey, what does the price matter if you are listening to more music?

MartinT
28-04-2010, 07:53
My partner Ruth is very pleased with her Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 and I'm impressed with the sound for relative beer money.