PDA

View Full Version : One for the Reggae heads out there

RobbieGong
15-12-2018, 10:21
Jah9 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jah9 is a rising artist out of Jamaica.

I'd describe her flavour and flow as deep, roots, conscious, dub, jazzy, progressive, spiritual, intelligent, earthy and organic.....

This track, Natural Vibe is taken from her latest album '9'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C579GwwBiVU

And this groovy infectious beauty, Love has found I can be found on her EP Feelings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEwdYgjzk00

So thats actually two for the Reggae heads :) enjoy !

willbewill
15-12-2018, 11:32
Also on Spotify

Crackles
15-12-2018, 15:14
Rising? She's been huge for ages. The album Rory produced was released about five years ago.

Agree though, she's a great artist.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

RobbieGong
15-12-2018, 15:35
Rising? She's been huge for ages. The album Rory produced was released about five years ago.

Agree though, she's a great artist.

'Huge' to those like u and I into this but not to the masses king,

Indeed, I've been listening to her for years, Avocado (2014) has always brought a smile and cheers me up

Crackles
15-12-2018, 20:48
'Huge' to those like u and I into this but not to the masses king,

Indeed, I've been listening to her for years, Avocado (2014) has always brought a smile and cheers me upFair enough mate. Brothers (not often you hear a positive message about men these days) and Steamers a Bubble are my favourite tunes by Miss Cunningham.

RobbieGong
15-12-2018, 22:52
Fair enough mate. Brothers (not often you hear a positive message about men these days) and Steamers a Bubble are my favourite tunes by Miss Cunningham.

Absolutley John, very refreshing and welcome, there are good men out there and she articulates / expresses that so well - love the conscious sister :)

Ian7633
15-12-2018, 22:58
I'm liking this artist very much, I'm never to certain what I'm looking for with reggae but this very much fits the bill. The girl has a stunning voice and the feel is sooooooooooo chilled. Love it 10/10

RobbieGong
15-12-2018, 23:13
I'm liking this artist very much, I'm never to certain what I'm looking for with reggae but this very much fits the bill. The girl has a stunning voice and the feel is sooooooooooo chilled. Love it 10/10

Top man Ian, you have a sense for 'good' / quality reggae :)

She is of what I call the 'real reggae' ilk, as in roots reggae, spiritually and socially conscious, culturally secure, deep, self aware, spiritually elevated, connected in respect of nature and humanity, natural as opposed to vain, wordly, self-obsessed 'unconscious'

Pretty much like those before her, Marley, Burning Spear, Tosh, Culture, Abyssinians, Freddie McGregor, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Judy Mowatt ......

Ian7633
15-12-2018, 23:36
I get a real feel for reggae, maybe because I'm a lapsed musician, bass and guitar player, bass being my primary instrument. Reggae really feeds into my soul, like an earthy vibe. I listen to perhaps more mainstream music, Steel Pulse, Linton Kwasi Johnson, Yellowman and so on. My musical roots are in 70's punk and there has always been a strange link between the two very different genres. Truth be told I like any music that shows a creative mind willing to explore what it can do. I still get the hairs on my neck tingling when I play the Pistols, 41 years after they hit the big time.

RobbieGong
15-12-2018, 23:45
I get a real feel for reggae, maybe because I'm a lapsed musician, bass and guitar player, bass being my primary instrument. Reggae really feeds into my soul, like an earthy vibe. I listen to perhaps more mainstream music, Steel Pulse, Linton Kwasi Johnson, Yellowman and so on. My musical roots are in 70's punk and there has always been a strange link between the two very different genres. Truth be told I like any music that shows a creative mind willing to explore what it can do. I still get the hairs on my neck tingling when I play the Pistols, 41 years after they hit the big time.

Excellent ! :thumbsup:

Crackles
16-12-2018, 11:25
What surprised me about Jah 9 is that she never had any ambitions to be a singer but started out as a poet, which is amazing considering how good her voice is.

Pigmy Pony
16-12-2018, 14:10

Junior Murvin's "Police and Thieves" was a mainstay of every punk gig I went to. And sometimes Dillinger's "Cocaine in my Brain".

Ian7633
16-12-2018, 14:27
Junior Murvin's "Police and Thieves" was a mainstay of every punk gig I went to. And sometimes Dillinger's "Cocaine in my Brain".

I remember them well, I saw The Clash at the Hammersmith Odeon in 79 and the PA kept breaking down and every time on went the Dillinger album.

Pigmy Pony
16-12-2018, 14:28
Streaming Jah 9 right now, and it's a good way to chill on a Sunday afternoon. The album's gone onto my vinyl wants list. Probably no logic to this, but the few reggae albums I own are all on vinyl.

dantheman91
17-12-2018, 10:42
Cheers Robert Right up my street was playing a few of her tracks on the IMF's last night :gig:

Another recommendation from me : Alborosie Try the 2018 Unbreakable: Alborosie Meets the Wailers United this is also superb..

RobbieGong
17-12-2018, 10:50
Nice one Dan, and thanks for the reco' :thumbsup:

Pigmy Pony
17-12-2018, 18:40
Cheers Robert Right up my street was playing a few of her tracks on the IMF's last night :gig:

Another recommendation from me : Alborosie Try the 2018 Unbreakable: Alborosie Meets the Wailers United this is also superb..

Alborosie is an Italian Reggae artist who moved out to Jamaica several years ago. I heard a track by him on a French radio station a few years ago while driving round Paris - "Play Fool (to catch Wise)". On the strength of that I bought "Sound The System" (Greensleeves) album, and it is pretty good imv.

I believe he was given the name "borosie", which apparently is a derogatory term (dunno what it means) and he put his name (Albert) on the front of it!

RobbieGong
21-12-2018, 12:07
Got my brother the jah9 album for his birthday https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H2OX1B6/ref=asc_df_B01H2OX1B657599024/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B01H2OX1B6&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310799623343&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4384125368758279497&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045880&hvtargid=pla-527393423183&th=1&psc=1
Saw him yesterday. Sat down, with a big grin on his face he fired it up on his system - he absolutely loves it.

He must have 'rewound' 'Greatest threat to the staus quo' maybe four times ..... :D

dantheman91
11-01-2019, 14:19
I bought 9 and currently spinning and producing monstrous bass on the Big Kef's with Sugden A28 Amplifier

:eek::eek: :eek:

oldius
11-01-2019, 15:24
What surprised me about Jah 9 is that she never had any ambitions to be a singer but started out as a poet, which is amazing considering how good her voice is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkJill Scott the same I think.

RobbieGong
11-01-2019, 22:27
Jill Scott the same I think.

Not reggae but yes, love Jill Scott, particularly the first three albums.

The debut, 'Who Is Jill Scott ? was BIG and is my fave.

I remember really enjoying this 2000 Jules Holland performance of Getting In The Way from said classic debut album - one cool drummer too https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2912i

RobbieGong
19-04-2019, 16:52
Some what we call 'cool n deadly' roots reggae from the remaining original Wailer Neville 'Bunny Wailer' Livingston https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1i8aKIKf3Y

Bright Soul, taken From his 1979 album Struggle