PDA

View Full Version : Cornucopia of Cover Versions

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2008, 18:21
OK here's what I want to do.
I'll post the name of a song/track and the artist/band who wrote or originally recorded it, or had a significant hit with it.

Then you mention an artist/band who's done a cover version of something by that artist.

As much info as possible please, so folks can find the music in question if they're interested.

If you're really stuck you can quote another cover of the first artist, or find some connection that will keep the thread going.

An example:

The last album by Patti Smith was called "Twelve" - it's brilliant by the way.
The first track is "Are you experienced" by Jimi Hendrix

You say Jimi Hendrix did a cover version of "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by the Beatles.

I say....The Beatles did a cover of "Roll Over Beethoven" by Chuck Berry on the their 2nd album "With The Beatles".

You can't think of anything that Chuck Berry covered, so you have to think of another track the Beatles covered.

So, if you really know your stuff, you say The Beatles did a cover of "Money" by Barrett Strong - also on "With The Beatles".

I say Barrett Strong wrote "I Heard it through the Grapevine" which was performed by Marvin Gaye.....

and so on......

To start the ball rolling, I'll list another track on the Patti Smith album. It's "Helpless" by written by Neil Young, and it's on "Deja Vu" by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. There's plenty of possible connections there for you to work with (but you may just have to be the tiniest bit of a crusty old hippy).

Go to work............

stupinder
29-05-2008, 09:54
Not sure if I grasp fully the concept but here goes.
Deja Vu has the track "Woodstock" wriiten by Joni Mitchel which appeared on her album ladies of the canyon (there's a janet jackson link here if anyones interested in the nipple bearing Michael lookylikey)
Nah looks like after re reading the instructions i grasped completely the wrong end

Alex D
29-05-2008, 10:49
Can't think of any Joni Mitchell, I'll go with Neil Young again... There's the song Oh, Lonesome Me, by Don Gibson, which you can find in Young's After the Gold Rush.

Filterlab
29-05-2008, 11:06
Ahhh, now Don Gibson did a cover of Paul Hampton and Hal Davids' Sea of Heartbreak in 1961 . He had a #2 hit with it in fact.

stupinder
29-05-2008, 11:11
Don Gibson Wrote "Sweet Dreams" which Patsy Cline covered

Filterlab
29-05-2008, 11:18
Patsy Cline covered Crazy which was originally written by Willie Nelson when he was a struggling country singer. 1961 was the year.

stupinder
29-05-2008, 11:52
Willie Nelson Covered A Song For You by Ray Charles

stupinder
29-05-2008, 12:04
Who in turn covered Don Gibsons "I can't stop Loving You"

The Grand Wazoo
29-05-2008, 12:21
Back to Don Gibson then?
OK, Johnny Cash covered "Sea of Heartbreak" on Unchained

stupinder
29-05-2008, 12:50
Who covered Pocahontis by Neil Young -all roads lead to Neil Young!

Alex D
29-05-2008, 13:12
Hahahaha!
Yes, it is true!
Just to retread the road and take another turn...
Rock Island Line by Johnny Cash, in Mano Negra's Patchanka LP (1988)... for those who don't know this band this is a very famous french band from the late 80's early 90's who fused music from all around the world, singing in french, english, spanish and even arabic! Great band, this is where Manu Chao came from, for those who have heard (about) him...

Alex D
29-05-2008, 13:14
BTW, does it have to be songs composed by the musician/band, or could we include signature songs? (I'm thinking, for example, of jazz singers, or in general when someone has appropriated a song and has made it his/her own)

stupinder
29-05-2008, 13:42
Hahahaha!
Yes, it is true!
Just to retread the road and take another turn...
Rock Island Line by Johnny Cash, in Mano Negra's Patchanka LP (1988)... for those who don't know this band this is a very famous french band from the late 80's early 90's who fused music from all around the world, singing in french, english, spanish and even arabic! Great band, this is where Manu Chao came from, for those who have heard (about) him...

Must explore this band they sound really interesting!!n Thanks They sound a bit like Carre Manchot- who also fuse lots of traditional French with other world music-lots of African.

The Grand Wazoo
29-05-2008, 13:50
BTW, does it have to be songs composed by the musician/band, or could we include signature songs? (I'm thinking, for example, of jazz singers, or in general when someone has appropriated a song and has made it his/her own)

Any reasonable connection is ok with me..........

The Grand Wazoo
29-05-2008, 13:53
Who covered Pocahontis by Neil Young -all roads lead to Neil Young!

.......Who covered "On Broadway" by the Drifters (on the album Freedom).............

stupinder
29-05-2008, 14:05
Didn't they do a cover of white Christmas??? Which i'm sure will bring us back to Mr Young however circuitous a route it takes, I imagine Mr Bowie will get a look in somewhere along the line in the form of "I've been waiting for You" - ok I'll stop with the Neil Young thing now

Alex D
29-05-2008, 14:09
Must explore this band they sound really interesting!!n Thanks They sound a bit like Carre Manchot- who also fuse lots of traditional French with other world music-lots of African.

I haven't heard of Carre Manchot.... but I'd like to advise you before you explore Mano Negra (as I don't like to be the object of angry replies!), but they are firmly within the rock/pop genre, they even rap a couple of their songs... Manu Chao is gentler and uses a lot of reggae rhythms... I just wanted to advise you! BTW, I don't like rap in general (or specifically!) but this band is great, it definitely crossed boundaries.

stupinder
29-05-2008, 14:14
I haven't heard of Carre Manchot.... but I'd like to advise you before you explore Mano Negra (as I don't like to be the object of angry replies!), but they are firmly within the rock/pop genre, they even rap a couple of their songs... Manu Chao is gentler and uses a lot of reggae rhythms... I just wanted to advise you! BTW, I don't like rap in general (or specifically!) but this band is great, it definitely crossed boundaries.

No angersome replies from me - if i don't like something then i dont play it -but i do like to be exposed to new stuff.
I dont mind Rap at all -got lots of it. I was in a reggae band years ago so love reggae and having had a bit of a look at Mano Negra thay also sound a bit punky which is again right up my street. Another French band well worth exploring are TRYO

Alex D
29-05-2008, 14:16
yeah!
My wife (we're from Chile) was at the Alliance Française school there so I mostly know french bands through her... and TRYO was one of the bands we heard a lot while along the way... that brings a nostalgic tear to my eyes I must say!

Cheers!

Alex

stupinder
29-05-2008, 14:21
yeah!
My wife (we're from Chile) was at the Alliance Française school there so I mostly know french bands through her... and TRYO was one of the bands we heard a lot while along the way... that brings a nostalgic tear to my eyes I must say!

Cheers!

Alex

Reggae Akoustik is a very good album for anyone outhere wanting to give Tryo a bash - as its name implies acoustic reggae with a definitley French take!