PDA

View Full Version : Updating from a 37" LCD TV circa 2006

The Black Adder
13-12-2018, 13:50
Hi all.

Although my trusty 37" TOSHIBA Regza is still going strong I'd like to update to maybe a little larger, and thinner display as the Toshiba is around 4" deep.

Because I've not really been following the technology I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a new screen?

I don't want to spend a lot, in fact it might be fun to see what I can get for not much money. Just want something that would be better quality than the one I have at the mo.

What I'd really like though is something I can plug a hard drive in to so I can record programs as my Huwei Talktalk box is ancient, still works but it's really slow.

Any ideas?

Sherwood
13-12-2018, 14:01
Hi all.

Although my trusty 37" TOSHIBA Regza is still going strong I'd like to update to maybe a little larger, and thinner display as the Toshiba is around 4" deep.

Because I've not really been following the technology I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a new screen?

I don't want to spend a lot, in fact it might be fun to see what I can get for not much money. Just want something that would be better quality than the one I have at the mo.

What I'd really like though is something I can plug a hard drive in to so I can record programs as my Huwei Talktalk box is ancient, still works but it's really slow.

Any ideas?

I am very pleased with the two LG Smart TVs I recently bought. The LG operating system is particularly good, and the optional smart remote control (about £35 ) with voice remote is excellent. Add in dedicated buttons on the remote for Prime and Netflix and lots of of downloadable apps.

My model has both Freeview and Freesat and the only downside is slow refresh on TV guide. I have WD Passport drive plugged in for recording.

The Black Adder
13-12-2018, 14:05
Which models would you recommend, Geoff?

GrahamS
13-12-2018, 14:08
I bought a Samsung 42" on price and discovered that this particular model was the cheapest because it is designed for use in a pub or reception area - the bluetooth, audio line out etc has been stripped out and it only has one HDMI input socket. Beware that whatever you buy has all of the features, inputs and outputs that you need.

STD305M
13-12-2018, 14:09
Hi Josie
My 50 inch LG was a bargain.
4k smart tv for £300 from pc world.
Plenty hdmi inputs.optical.component and 2 usb.
Steve

Sherwood
13-12-2018, 14:10
I bought the 49" model for the lounge It was only £399 including the Richer 6 year warranty. Also bought a smaller version for the bedroom. I am extremely pleased with both.

LG 49 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play
SKU: LG-49UJ630V
£399.00

AJSki2fly
13-12-2018, 14:14
I bought the 49" model for the lounge It was only £399 including the Richer 6 year warranty. Also bought a smaller version for the bedroom. I am extremely pleased with both.

LG 49 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV Freeview Play
SKU: LG-49UJ630V
£399.00

Funny a friend was talking about Richersounds last week as we got our TV from them. I didn't know that if you have there extended warranty and don't use it and go back with the receipt they refund you the cost of it, at least they used.

Sherwood
13-12-2018, 14:19
That is true if you buy the warranty. On TVs most have the warranty included in the price.

I would not buy a TV without a warranty. I bought my previous TV from John Lewis with a warranty and in 5 years needed to use it twice. Excellent service on both occasions with engineer coming to house, removing the TV from wall bracket and taking the set away for repair. Back on both occasions in two days. Would have cost hundreds in parts and labour without warranty.

fatmarley
13-12-2018, 16:13
Even cheap modern tvs have a good picture these days. Our 49" Blaupunkt has a nice clear picture with bright colours for under £300 iirc. Motion is the the problem with cheaper tvs. I'm used to ours but it's not great compared to a new Sony lcd. Most modern tvs have Youtube. Sonys test video is on there. I think it's called motionflow (camera pans across a load of boats at the start iirc). On a good tv you can read the names of the boats.

EDIT: Just found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XLpzrsC2A

Macca
13-12-2018, 18:30
. Motion is the the problem with cheaper tvs.

This is true. My new (bought last year) LG is not as good with fast motion or fast panning as my old Sony rear projection LCD (although it is miles better in every other respect). It was bin end when I got it though so presumably the later ones are better. But the price difference for the same size screen, old model vs new model, was £1600!

I'd say make sure that it has all the inputs and outputs you need and also don't buy the screen size you think you want, get the next size up!

Sherwood
13-12-2018, 19:13
I see that the model I bought is now discontinued but they do have the 43" update on my model in stock https://www.richersounds.com/lg-43uk6300plb.html?refSrc=28974&nosto=nosto-page-product3

It is not the thinnest screen nor the most beautiful, but I am pleased with the quality.

The Black Adder
13-12-2018, 19:38
Hi guys...

thanks all of you... some great information.

Hi Geoff, the price of that is good. I'm not bothered about size though. I'd go up to 40" - 43" at a push. Anything bigger I think would be too big.

Just wondering if buying 2nd hand would be a good idea?

Sherwood
13-12-2018, 19:46
Hi guys...

thanks all of you... some great information.

Hi Geoff, the price of that is good. I'm not bothered about size though. I'd go up to 40" - 43" at a push. Anything bigger I think would be too big.

Just wondering if buying 2nd hand would be a good idea?

The included 6 year warranty means that this works out at just over £1 per week. Second hand with panel TVs is risky and you run the risk of damage in transit. For this price you are also getting this year's tech. Of course, you could opt for a standard HD tv rather than a 4k unit. However, even at 43" I would still opt for the higher res.

julesd68
14-12-2018, 14:38

I'm in the same position - my Toshiba Regza is actually a very good HD performer but I would now like a 40" 4K TV as the bezels are now much smaller.

There is a shortage of decent screens available in this size from my research, as manufacturers seem to be ditching this size in preference for 43".

The only decent option I have found is this Samsung which I hope to be buying soon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D791MQX/?coliid=I3NVCHSH2PROHH&colid=1D4RDHBMPR8FN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If you wanted to buy second hand, the Panasonic TX40EX700B is now discontinued, but a very well reviewed 4K screen.

Sherwood
14-12-2018, 23:27
I'm in the same position - my Toshiba Regza is actually a very good HD performer but I would now like a 40" 4K TV as the bezels are now much smaller.

There is a shortage of decent screens available in this size from my research, as manufacturers seem to be ditching this size in preference for 43".

The only decent option I have found is this Samsung which I hope to be buying soon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D791MQX/?coliid=I3NVCHSH2PROHH&colid=1D4RDHBMPR8FN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If you wanted to buy second hand, the Panasonic TX40EX700B is now discontinued, but a very well reviewed 4K screen.

Make sure you check out the OS before you buy. I went for LG because their Web OS 3.5 is excellent and the optional magic remote superb. It has voice control and acts like a mouse. Just point it at the option on the screen and click!

fatmarley
15-12-2018, 07:20
Make sure you check out the OS before you buy. I went for LG because their Web OS 3.5 is excellent and the optional magic remote superb. It has voice control and acts like a mouse. Just point it at the option on the screen and click!

The Sony OS was terrible when I tried one of their tvs in Richer sounds. Took forever just to play a file off a flashdrive.

The Black Adder
15-12-2018, 10:10
Hmm.. Interesting. Sony are normally good at that sort of thing.

I don't think Sony are on the cards anyway, they seem expensive.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

skimminstones
15-12-2018, 10:42
Getting the next size up is good advice. You very quickly get used to the size of modern TVs and with the bezels being much smaller you can go up in size easily without taking up any extra space.

willbewill
15-12-2018, 12:14
I also bought a LG 49" 4K HDR smart TV recently which we love, only thing I found was I needed to run an ethernet cable to it as even though it's in same room as router it buffered quite a lot over wifi.

struth
15-12-2018, 12:19
cant justify buying a new tv... the ones ive got; samsung and lg are still working fine and are well used. both just hd, but great pics on them, although only 32"