PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : Garrard 401 PSU

WESTLOWER
10-12-2018, 14:19
Garrard 401 Power Supply unit (adjustable if possible)

Maybe a Martin Bastin, Loricraft or similar ...?

Wakefield Turntables
10-12-2018, 16:22
Have you considered pheonix engineering they also do a tachometer. This is what I use for my 301.

WESTLOWER
10-12-2018, 17:48
Yes I see there are made up units on eBay using the same board.
I’ll
Look further into it.
Btw what are your impressions on before and after in a couple of words.
I’m Do not want to lose the TTs character..

Wakefield Turntables
10-12-2018, 19:27
Are you getting Phoenix Engineering mixed up with completed Nigels Speed Controllers? The Phoenix engineering equipment is world class and dramatically improves the presentation of the 301. Notes become more precise, I would say that the biggest improvement is with soundstage cohesion, everything just sounds "right". It's very hard to describe and you really need to hear a deck that's got one fitted. Getting a decent PSU is a great way to upgrade the 401, a tachometer takes it to another level. My 301 has a speed accuracy of +/1 0.002 RPM regardless of using 33 / 45 RPM.

WESTLOWER
10-12-2018, 21:48
Are you getting Phoenix Engineering mixed up with completed Nigels Speed Controllers? The Phoenix engineering equipment is world class and dramatically improves the presentation of the 301. Notes become more precise, I would say that the biggest improvement is with soundstage cohesion, everything just sounds "right". It's very hard to describe and you really need to hear a deck that's got one fitted. Getting a decent PSU is a great way to upgrade the 401, a tachometer takes it to another level. My 301 has a speed accuracy of +/1 0.002 RPM regardless of using 33 / 45 RPM.

Thanks for that Andrew
Good description of improvements.

No, I know of Nigel’s product from LH
apparently this one on eBay from Bulgaria, Sophia uses a similar approach as Phoenix.
That’s what the builder emailed me, anyhow.
You obviously have done your homework, so will have a better idea if this is correct or not.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrard-301-401-Lenco-L75-L78-etc-Speed-Controller-SG4-Power-Supply-PSU-/233004383059

Riislingen
11-12-2018, 06:50
I can vouch for Phoenix and Bill Carlin.

Bill unfortunately retired and Phoenix is no more. He is still very responsive and I had contact with him a month ago - he stands by his product even into retirement.

Performance is the best I've seen with my Garrard 401.

If not able to go that route, I have an extra CTC PSU in black in great condition if interested. It's in the US but set for 240v.