PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Stereo power amplifier or a pair of monoblocks

Nuisance Value
10-12-2018, 08:29
Gents, I don't post often but unfortunately 5 of my 6 current monoblocks are not working (see my contribution to the JDI amplifier thread), so I only have sound from one channel!

After getting sniped on the bay last night I'm now desperate for a stereo amplifier or a pair of monoblocks, but I need them for the Christmas break, I can't go two weeks off work without music...

I've got a few hundred quid budget for something decent to tide me over until my mate flies over from Norway to fix my JDI 'blocks. The preamp is fine hence only need power.

If you have anything you're considering getting rid of drop me a line.

Thanks

RHW
10-12-2018, 08:32
Gents, I don't post often but unfortunately 5 of my 6 current monoblocks are not working (see my contribution to the JDI amplifier thread), so I only have sound from one channel!

After getting sniped on the bay last night I'm now desperate for a stereo amplifier or a pair of monoblocks, but I need them for the Christmas break, I can't go two weeks off work without music...

I've got a few hundred quid budget for something decent to tide me over until my mate flies over from Norway to fix my JDI 'blocks. The preamp is fine hence only need power.

If you have anything you're considering getting rid of drop me a line.

Thanks

Lexicon LX-5. 2x400w when bridged (switchable on the rear -5 channel or 2 channel. On eBay for £1100. Nice condition. Should do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuisance Value
10-12-2018, 08:55
Nice heads up, but a little rich for me. It's only an interim solution I'm after until I get my main ones fixed so I'm thinking more £300 - £400 or thereabouts

Volante
10-12-2018, 09:35
Pair of Rotel -870BX within your price range currently for sale by robbie010 on the Wam

Nuisance Value
10-12-2018, 10:12
Pair of Rotel -870BX within your price range currently for sale by robbie010 on the Wam

Seen those on eBay, collection only and couriers are a pain. Will consider though thanks..

There's a Roksan Rok S1.5 on eBay as well, £325, anyone have experience of this amp? I've got a Radius turntable so thinking there might be some synergy there..

Lurch
10-12-2018, 10:34
I'm currently using a Pioneer 400X integrated as a secondary power amp for casual listening in my main system, to save hours on my 845 monos. It's a very capable little beast, happily drives my 4 Ohm Ushers. Might be worth looking out for one, picked up mine for £70 and will easily sell for the same money.

Emmings
10-12-2018, 11:07
Got an Arcam Alpha 8 looking for a new home - £95 delivered.

hifinutt
10-12-2018, 17:37
in glasgow

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?61627-FS-Quad-909-Stereo-Power-Amplifier

itskeith
10-12-2018, 18:05
I'd be tempted by an Exposure 18 on ebay. Sounds a bit expensive at Asking £430, but open to offers.

No affiliation with the seller.

I had one before and was pleased with it.
Only sold it to downgrade to a XXV.

Should be easy enough to sell on again.

spook
10-12-2018, 18:13
I have a Quad 606 which was serviced a few years ago. It works and sounds great!

You can have it for £350 if you're interested.

Steve.

walpurgis
10-12-2018, 18:23
I have a Quad 606 which was serviced a few years ago. It works and sounds great!

Steve.

Good amp. Bags of power and no nasties.

Nuisance Value
10-12-2018, 19:54
I'd be tempted by an Exposure 18 on ebay. Sounds a bit expensive at Asking £430, but open to offers.

No affiliation with the seller.

I had one before and was pleased with it.
Only sold it to downgrade to a XXV.

Should be easy enough to sell on again.

Evening gents, apologies, meeting all afternoon.

This is a great shout Keith and I've found another one elsewhere that I've questioned about delivery etc. A couple of reviews rate them highly, over the Roksan so thanks very much, I'll let you know how it goes.

With regards Quad.. obviously they are a venerated brand, but I just don't know them well enough as I've never owned any Quad products. The 909 looks interesting but again, a bit over budget.

Some great suggestions that will hopefully get me up and running for Christmas (I've a huge backlog of new records!)

Nuisance Value
10-12-2018, 19:59

Steve.

Hi Steve, if this exposure falls through I may well take you up on this.

Jazid
10-12-2018, 21:04
If not get some cheapo class D amps off the flea bay. You may be surprised by what you hear, and you won't lose anything on them as they don't cost anything [emoji28]

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Nuisance Value
11-12-2018, 21:33
If not get some cheapo class D amps off the flea bay. You may be surprised by what you hear, and you won't lose anything on them as they don't cost anything [emoji28]

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh, that's a minefield I don't really want to get into I'm afraid.. I wouldn't know where to start!