PDA

View Full Version : Anything should I evaluate/know before buying a Caiman SEG?

Giovanni68
07-12-2018, 12:49
I would like to get myself a DAC as a present and budget/quality wise I read many beautiful things about the Caiman SEG, the intended usage is to stream audio mainly from an old MacMini which will be used to play lossless music, there then is the optical out of the TV screen I'd like also to give to the DAC as to stream movies audio through the DAC before reaching the Audio Research SP9 preamp and, least but no last, could also use it in place of the Sony X505ES CD player own's converter (a pity the AppleTV 4 features no audio out plug any longer).

Given the above I think the Caiman has the inputs I look forward to, the USB comes always handy, one optical for the TV screen and the other for the Mini (whose output, if I am not wrong, carries both optical and analog on the same plug), the other optical or coax for the CD just in case.

To begin with I'd go with the normal wall AC adapter to then move onto a linear supply, is there any option I should evaluate before hitting the button?

Grazie

Giovanni

Sherwood
07-12-2018, 12:53
I would like to get myself a DAC as a present and budget/quality wise I read many beautiful things about the Caiman SEG, the intended usage is to stream audio mainly from an old MacMini which will be used to play lossless music, there then is the optical out of the TV screen I'd like also to give to the DAC as to stream movies audio through the DAC before reaching the Audio Research SP9 preamp and, least but no last, could also use it in place of the Sony X505ES CD player own's converter (a pity the AppleTV 4 features no audio out plug any longer).

Given the above I think the Caiman has the inputs I look forward to, the USB comes always handy, one optical for the TV screen and the other for the Mini (whose output, if I am not wrong, carries both optical and analog on the same plug), the other optical or coax for the CD just in case.

To begin with I'd go with the normal wall AC adapter to then move onto a linear supply, is there any option I should evaluate before hitting the button?

Grazie

Giovanni

Buy it with the Dorado power supply. This, in my opinion, has a bigger impact on SQ than a linear power supply. Stanley will supply the appropriate power supply if you buy the Dorado at the same time.

Giovanni68
07-12-2018, 13:40
Buy it with the Dorado power supply. This, in my opinion, has a bigger impact on SQ than a linear power supply. Stanley will supply the appropriate power supply if you buy the Dorado at the same time.

I was to read about it but have no clue how much it adds to the bill, I might add it later on if it raises the bar too high

AJSki2fly
07-12-2018, 13:51
I was to read about it but have no clue how much it adds to the bill, I might add it later on if it raises the bar too high

Send PM to StanleyB he will advise cost on all options, he is very helpful.

I have Caiman SEG and Dorado and I am extremely pleased with the sound quality, I stream from Tidal mainly using either Volumio or Audirvana which I slightly prefer. I also have my Meridian 508 CD connected and the Caiman SEG DAC is and improvement on the Meridian.

Alp
07-12-2018, 18:43
+1 the Dorado is very good provided you set it with 15V output. At less than €100 the Dorado is far cheaper (and smaller) than a good linear supply

Bigman80
07-12-2018, 19:04
Personally, I'd get a Topping D30.

It is absolutely unnerving that something so cheap (£90) is so good.

Compared one with a Bel canto and it wasn't as big a gap as our expect. Sure the Bel Canto was better but by £610? Hell no.

Compared with a Caiman and preferred the Topping. The Caiman had the Dorado too.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

Giovanni68
07-12-2018, 20:02
+1 the Dorado is very good provided you set it with 15V output. At less than €100 the Dorado is far cheaper (and smaller) than a good linear supply

But the Dorado is not a power supply, it sits in between this latter one and the DAC or did I miss something along the way?

By the way, I have budget restrictions and as such I'd start with the DAC and, eventually, upgrade along the way.

Grazie

p.s. cable wise, to connect the Mini to a DAC what would you do, USB or that fancy analog/optical plug?

Sherwood
07-12-2018, 20:12
But the Dorado is not a power supply, it sits in between this latter one and the DAC or did I miss something along the way?

By the way, I have budget restrictions and as such I'd start with the DAC and, eventually, upgrade along the way.

Grazie

p.s. cable wise, to connect the Mini to a DAC what would you do, USB or that fancy analog/optical plug?

The Dorado is a small box (about the size of a packet of cigarettes) that sits between the 15v power supply and the SEG. It seems to clear up the dirty power from the wall adaptor and provide a higher current to the SEG. However it works, it is not a small upgrade. It improves clarity, bass and detail and makes the SEG sound even more analogue.

I don't use Apple products, but prefer optical connections to USB in general. One advantage with optical is that it is possible to use longer optical cables without reducing quality (e.g. up to 10m).

The Dorado works best with a 15v power supply. I understand your budget constraints but I would suggest you wait a little until you can buy both together. BTW. Ask Stanley if he still has a discount for AoS members.

Jerry B
07-12-2018, 21:31
Definitely go for the SEG with the Dorado. Either now, or as your budget allows. After you have got used to the SEG, Stan offers an upgrade with Supercaps, which is another step up in EQ.

wee tee cee
08-12-2018, 14:28
Just buy the seg with the supplied power supply....Stans power supplies are pretty good low noise jobs.

When the unit has a couple of hundred hours on it and your bank balance has recovered upgrade to the dorado and supplied low noise psu.

a glass fisual optical cable to the mac and tv would be fine but dont rule out Stans cables and opticals they are very good.

The seg has also got an excellent headphone section and the pre amp section is also very good,,,,buy with confidence and upgrade as funds allow.

Giovanni68
08-12-2018, 16:29
Just buy the seg with the supplied power supply....Stans power supplies are pretty good low noise jobs.

When the unit has a couple of hundred hours on it and your bank balance has recovered upgrade to the dorado and supplied low noise psu.

a glass fisual optical cable to the mac and tv would be fine but dont rule out Stans cables and opticals they are very good.

The seg has also got an excellent headphone section and the pre amp section is also very good,,,,buy with confidence and upgrade as funds allow.

That's actually my idea, I found an used SEG here in Italy but it got sold the day before I read the advert, to buy a new one I already have to stretch the budget a bit but it's ok, as a principle I prefer to buy used to help ourselves feed our hobbies without to break the bank but since the Seg seems to be so very worth it's hard to find used ones (good news Stanley uh ��) so I will probably go for a brand new one.

Read somewhere of a promo for TAOS members, will have to ask Stanley straight away, I might bite it and go for the upgraded PSU too but, as you say, it would make sense to delay it to a later time when I can also afford a decent linear power supply to match the Seg in both quality and look, I am trying to simplify the music setup with less cables and as such already the idea to have to have a separate power supply is not that appealing but I am fine with it even tho against simplification.

I saw Stan also selling cables, might come handy to connect the TV to start with, maybe same for the Mini too since mine, being an old one, still got that mixed optical/analog output.

Thank you all for your replies, gonna move some music to the Mini to find out how it works and then figure how to remotely control it without to have to use a mouse and a a screen :scratch:

Grazie

Giovanni

p.s. any advise for a non audiophile (in the price I mean) linear supply to match size and look of the SEG? I don't like whistles and bells, no LCD displays, pretty minimal...

Sherwood
08-12-2018, 17:47
That's actually my idea, I found an used SEG here in Italy but it got sold the day before I read the advert, to buy a new one I already have to stretch the budget a bit but it's ok, as a principle I prefer to buy used to help ourselves feed our hobbies without to break the bank but since the Seg seems to be so very worth it's hard to find used ones (good news Stanley uh ��) so I will probably go for a brand new one.

Read somewhere of a promo for TAOS members, will have to ask Stanley straight away, I might bite it and go for the upgraded PSU too but, as you say, it would make sense to delay it to a later time when I can also afford a decent linear power supply to match the Seg in both quality and look, I am trying to simplify the music setup with less cables and as such already the idea to have to have a separate power supply is not that appealing but I am fine with it even tho against simplification.

I saw Stan also selling cables, might come handy to connect the TV to start with, maybe same for the Mini too since mine, being an old one, still got that mixed optical/analog output.

Thank you all for your replies, gonna move some music to the Mini to find out how it works and then figure how to remotely control it without to have to use a mouse and a a screen :scratch:

Grazie

Giovanni

p.s. any advise for a non audiophile (in the price I mean) linear supply to match size and look of the SEG? I don't like whistles and bells, no LCD displays, pretty minimal...

Giovanni,

The point about the Doorado is that it is an alternative to a linear power supply. I have a linear power supply and could not detect a difference between that and a basic 15v power supply when using the Dorado

MikeMusic
09-12-2018, 11:00
Another advantage buying from Stan

He will have more mods in the future for not a lot which will be retrofittable

twotone
09-12-2018, 13:36
The Dorado and upgraded chip costs about £70 or thereabouts but the upgrade isn't a subtle upgrade it's enormous, the Dorado takes the Seg into an altogether different league IMO.

Giovanni68
10-12-2018, 10:52
I bite the bullet and went for it, I emailed Stan yesterday and he replied so very quickly and Kindly (less kind at sending the invoice there and then :lol:), he has been extremely nice at giving a xmas token (maybe I shouldn't share this but if you are into shopping with him try and take advantage off the upcoming holidays) and he will ship both the SEG and the Dorado so that I can find out what it is like to listen to music through a dedicated DAC rather than the Apple's built in.

I am dedicating an old MacMini to the purpose, converting some of my music to ALAC so that I can throw it at iTunes even tho I know it, iTunes, not being the best player around but being the Mini very old (I modded a 2006 one with an upgraded Core 2 Duo CPU and some extra RAM but OS wise it is Snow Leopard and can't nor want to go any higher than that on such a machine not to mention it is supposed to be one of the last finely working ones) I can't adopt anything like Audirvana since it expects a newer OS to work (even tho Snow Leopard with the upgraded CPU should support 64bit apps).

Well, I was reading of somebody who went through the Raspberry Pi route and I might try that, once I have the DAC with a NAS is already sitting there in the basement that could be a solution, I would like not to have to deal with a mouse and a screen to browse music, will go and read about it, in the meantime I am excited at the upcoming xmas present, will do some comparisons with no DAC, just the SEG and then with the Dorado in between, not sure I can appreciate the difference since mine is a very old chain (Audio Research SP9, Aeron AP890 twin KT88 tubes, JBL 4311B) but it will be sure fun.

Thanks all for your suggestions and thanks Stan for being so kind and quick

Giovanni

Sherwood
10-12-2018, 11:02
I bite the bullet and went for it, I emailed Stan yesterday and he replied so very quickly and Kindly (less kind at sending the invoice there and then :lol:), he has been extremely nice at giving a xmas token (maybe I shouldn't share this but if you are into shopping with him try and take advantage off the upcoming holidays) and he will ship both the SEG and the Dorado so that I can find out what it is like to listen to music through a dedicated DAC rather than the Apple's built in.

I am dedicating an old MacMini to the purpose, converting some of my music to ALAC so that I can throw it at iTunes even tho I know it, iTunes, not being the best player around but being the Mini very old (I modded a 2006 one with an upgraded Core 2 Duo CPU and some extra RAM but OS wise it is Snow Leopard and can't nor want to go any higher than that on such a machine not to mention it is supposed to be one of the last finely working ones) I can't adopt anything like Audirvana since it expects a newer OS to work (even tho Snow Leopard with the upgraded CPU should support 64bit apps).

Well, I was reading of somebody who went through the Raspberry Pi route and I might try that, once I have the DAC with a NAS is already sitting there in the basement that could be a solution, I would like not to have to deal with a mouse and a screen to browse music, will go and read about it, in the meantime I am excited at the upcoming xmas present, will do some comparisons with no DAC, just the SEG and then with the Dorado in between, not sure I can appreciate the difference since mine is a very old chain (Audio Research SP9, Aeron AP890 twin KT88 tubes, JBL 4311B) but it will be sure fun.

Thanks all for your suggestions and thanks Stan for being so kind and quick

Giovanni

Giovanni,

I am sure you will be astounded at how good the SEG/Dorado combo is. I use mine with an RPi, which works very well.

Once you have got it set up, and when funds permit, you might wish to try out Audivarna. This is a programme that manages your music library and album art, but also processes your music files with various options for upsampling. Audivarna is very easy to use, and offers a free trial including a one month trial of Tidal. I use Audivarna (as do several others on this forum) to upsample Tidal before it reaches the SEG.

Geoff

Sherwood
10-12-2018, 11:04
Ah! Just read your post about Mac OS.

Giovanni68
10-12-2018, 11:41
Giovanni,

I am sure you will be astounded at how good the SEG/Dorado combo is. I use mine with an RPi, which works very well.

Once you have got it set up, and when funds permit, you might wish to try out Audivarna. This is a programme that manages your music library and album art, but also processes your music files with various options for upsampling. Audivarna is very easy to use, and offers a free trial including a one month trial of Tidal. I use Audivarna (as do several others on this forum) to upsample Tidal before it reaches the SEG.

Geoff

I am sure I will and am also pretty excited to listen to it.

I used Audirvana for a little while on a trial license which is now expired but since the Mac I am going to use is a very old one I don't think I could still retrieve a version which will be suitable and as such I have to find out a different route, in the meantime iTunes will do it but in the future I want to find a way to get rid of the Mini and use a remote or local storage (since I already have a NAS in my network) with the possibility to use the smartphone as a remote, saw something like this done with RPis and curios to find out if worth.

Grazie ancora

Giovanni

mikmas
10-12-2018, 11:48

I have used both from my Macs - Mini 2011 and Mini 2012 - and much preferred the USB output over the optical mash up - using an audiolab Q-DAC or Quad Vena as destination.
This is provided that your DAC supports asynchronous input (which I think the SEG does .. although I have never used one so can't comment)

mikmas
10-12-2018, 11:53
I used Audirvana for a little while on a trial license which is now expired but since the Mac I am going to use is a very old one I don't think I could still retrieve a version which will be suitable and as such I have to find out a different route, in the meantime iTunes will do it but in the future I want to find a way to get rid of the Mini and use a remote or local storage (since I already have a NAS in my network) with the possibility to use the smartphone as a remote, saw something like this done with RPis and curios to find out if worth.

I use a couple of Macs with Audirvana but also an RPi 2 running Moode 3.8 ... both are splendid but for me the RPi has the edge both for SQ and flexibility (phone, iPad and desktop control...)

Giovanni68
10-12-2018, 13:24
I use a couple of Macs with Audirvana but also an RPi 2 running Moode 3.8 ... both are splendid but for me the RPi has the edge both for SQ and flexibility (phone, iPad and desktop control...)

This sounds interesting, would you be so kind to address me to some discussions and/or literature as to understand how to set such a thing up? It would be great as not to have another box sitting on the desk along with the meters and meters of cables already running there, the Mini, however small it is, still is a punch in the eye and being able to control such a box through either iPhone or an iPad would simply be great not to mention SQ, I just run the Mini and with iTunes it feels like listening to an iPod :lol:

Sherwood
10-12-2018, 14:02
This sounds interesting, would you be so kind to address me to some discussions and/or literature as to understand how to set such a thing up? It would be great as not to have another box sitting on the desk along with the meters and meters of cables already running there, the Mini, however small it is, still is a punch in the eye and being able to control such a box through either iPhone or an iPad would simply be great not to mention SQ, I just run the Mini and with iTunes it feels like listening to an iPod :lol:

Giovanni,

there are many different Rpi configurations available depending upon your budget. The latest Rpi the 3B+ is just under £30. The HAT boards which perform the audio processing vary in price from around £30 to several hundred pounds. A case can cost less than £10 but the case you need will depend upon the audio board you buy as the cutouts are in different places for different boards. Fortunately, the audio software is free. All you need to do is download it and burn it to a micro SD card of 4gb or more. I used Moode for a while but prefer the Volumio interface. It is very easy to try out different software packages as it just entails swapping the micro SD card and rebooting. Once installed, you simply need to specify the location of your NAS drive and enter the IP address in any browser. Everything is controlled through the browser window.