PDA

View Full Version : SL 1210 headshell/cartridge combo

Vladan
25-04-2010, 14:31
Hello.

I am a new (and a new owner of SL1210 mkII) member, and a little bit confused about the relation between arm mass, headshell mass and cartridge mass :scratch:. Well, I guess some homework for me, but I have actual questions:
1. What would be the recommended headshell(s) for the Micro Benz MC Gold?
2. What for the Denon 103 (103r)?
3. If I go for option 1. or 2. what would be the recommended mat?

Currently I have Technics tonearm with Sumiko headshell and AT110E cartridge. Summiko is much, much better. Turntable is on the Audioquest sorbothane feet’s, and that was also big positive change.

I have heard sl1210 with Sumiko headshell/Sumiko BP Evo III. Great combination, but still considering it due to the price of Evo III.

An one more question: can higher tracking force of Denon 103 can actualy damage the record (on the long run), compared to the cartridges with the lower tracking force?

Hopefully I will contribute to this forum in the future:)

Thanks,

Vladan

DSJR
25-04-2010, 20:51
Welcome..

The Techie arm with Sumiko shell should take most middle-range cartridges, but the DL103 is not really one of them tbh..

The BPS and Blackbird may be high output MC's (no doubt with more coil turns to give greater efficiency), but the latter especially is a precise and refined model which should be competitive with Dynavectors and others.

In some ways, I'd be inclined to get an AT120E for the techie arm and save up for a Jelco 750 arm, which should be better for all top end cartridges out there. Going higher than this will cost loads for a small difference IMO..