PDA

View Full Version : Amp projects

dave2010
25-04-2010, 13:42
It's been a long time. Many years ago I tinkered with some really simple valve amps, and also some transistor ones. I learnt a few things. One was the need for a capacitor at the input to one of the valve designs - hope I remembered that right. Took me a while to figure out that I needed to decouple the DC components.

I'm still generally rather busy, but I'm wondering if, rather than take up gardening in a big way, or building a train shed (plus layout etc) as my neighbour has done, whether it would be interesting and fun to build some new amplifiers. If so, do any others have recommendations? Could be valve or transistor, cheap or not so cheap. I'd just be interested to know what projects in this area interest people. Maybe if I just want an amp it'd be easier to buy one, but I think there could be some fun in putting one together. Also, there are very few affordable valve amps these days, so maybe a valve amp kit would be a way to go.

What do others think?

Ali Tait
25-04-2010, 14:09
The WD kits are good,the KEL84 especially is a lot of amp for the money.The pre3 is rather good too.