PDA

View Full Version : Techie SL12xx pcb identification?

The Vinyl Adventure
25-04-2010, 10:12
There apears to be slight variations of pcb in the type of conectors used to connect the switch/strobe pcb, pitch fader and stylus light to the main board.
This is one type:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/5670af67.jpg

I'm guessing this is an older varient as these are the buttons used with that conector type, and thy look older and clunkier than the ones in my deck

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/20a76e4b.jpg

this is the serial number off this tt which I think is probably older than mine (these bits are from an knackered table I bought for £40 to tinker about with a few months back)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/44504e88.jpg

this is what I belive to be a newer varient of connector

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/c5ab072c.jpg

and this is the serial number from my table tat this connector is in

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/582494bc.jpg

does anyone know how one might tell just by serial number whether a techie has the black or White conector type?
Also, is there any other types?

I want to buy another table off eBay to fix mine, since I am a tit and have seemingly blown a one of the integrated circuits :doh:
I want to make the job as easy as possible and so don't want to have to do any soldering (other than for psu) so basically I need to find a way to make sure a prospective tt purchase has White conectors not black ones... As odly enough people selling thier turntables arnt willing to look under the bonnet for me...

Gdg
25-04-2010, 15:26
Hamish, I cannot directly help you with this matter, but you can ask for some help here http://www.12x0.de.
Kaype, the kind guy leading the forum, has a very wide expertise and deep knowledge about mechanics and electronics of the SL 1200, since he repairs and mods these TTs for DJs.

HTH

The Vinyl Adventure
25-04-2010, 15:33
cheers giovanni, looks like quite an interesting forum

Gdg
25-04-2010, 16:23
Just like you, Hamish, I enjoy some DIY on my MK5. Kaype more than once helped me when I was in trouble.
BTW, take a look at his modded 1200s. There's one AUDI-blue painted with the stock arm of the gold edition that is a real beauty.

The Vinyl Adventure
25-04-2010, 16:26
Yeah, I have been mooching, it's def an interested forum.. I wonder hat he would make of some of dave cawley's mods?...

Gdg
25-04-2010, 16:43
Yeah, I have been mooching, it's def an interested forum.. I wonder hat he would make of some of dave cawley's mods?...

uhm... I don't believe so. He is mostly interested in the DJ side of the 1200, not the HI-FI one.

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 10:58
The nice man at the german 12x0 site has informed me that it not possible to date a 12x0 on s/n alone

more here

http://www.12x0.de/index.php?forum-showposts-1180-p1#12454

Marco
26-04-2010, 11:11

No doubt he'd be in absolute awe at the work of the self-appointed "world's leading SL-1200 expert"! :lolsign:

There appear to be a few of them around............ ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Hamish, it's a real shame this has happened to your Techie. Now know why, in terms of my deck, as a fellow cack-handed b*stard, I *always* get the dealer to carry out any modifications.........

The good news is that there are plenty of second-hand donor Techies out there to use to fix yours, so good luck! :cool:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 11:47
Lol, you are a naughty monky marco ;)
ironically of course I suspect you yourself were fairly instrumental in that apointment ...
I do hope you can both sort out your differences some time

It's exactly why I got the techie in the first place, breaking it is a bugger, but I have learnt a lot, I have made my own strobe switch using the on off tower, I've become a lot more confident with the inards of the table, I've found supplyers of spare parts and people who do certain levels of repair as close as within 2 miles of my house. I have also come up with a little money making scheme for my self - more on that if I follow through with the idea and I have had a whole lot of fun in the process ... Normally I'm right there with you on the sending stuff to the dealer, but like I said, this is exactly why I bought the techie.. Something to tinker with and keep me quiet!

Marco
26-04-2010, 12:25
Hi Hamish,

Lol, you are a naughty monky marco ;)
ironically of course I suspect you yourself were fairly instrumental in that apointment ...
I do hope you can both sort out your differences some time

Thanks - that's good of you to say so :)

I think that I can confidently say AOS is, to my knowledge, the world's leading Internet site for promoting regular discussions on high-level bespoke modifications for the SL-1200/1210, and that I play a significant role in that.

Vinyl engine does this too, to a degree, and it certainly has a massive membership, but it's seen mostly as a resource for information, populated in the main (in my opinion) by lurkers, rather than the close-knit community of dedicated enthusiasts we have here, posting daily (and prolifically) on all manner of Techie-related discussion.

Regarding Dave (and please merely allow me to make this point without responding to it), I completely agree, and I'd have him back in a second *if* he can put his pride to one side, be a big man, and phone me to sort out our differences.

The door remains open in that respect... Dave looks in here every day, so he knows where to find me if he needs me.

Whether he'll admit it or not, he's shot himself in the foot. The sooner he acknowledges this, the sooner he can return and pick up from where he left off..... :cool:

At the end of the day, no one man is bigger than the forum itself - and that includes me.

Ok, that part of the discussion is closed, so back to your other points:

It's exactly why I got the techie in the first place, breaking it is a bugger, but I have learnt a lot, I have made my own strobe switch using the on off tower, I've become a lot more confident with the inards of the table, I've found supplyers of spare parts and people who do certain levels of repair as close as within 2 miles of my house. I have also come up with a little money making scheme for my self - more on that if I follow through with the idea and I have had a whole lot of fun in the process ... Normally I'm right there with you on the sending stuff to the dealer, but like I said, this is exactly why I bought the techie.. Something to tinker with and keep me quiet!

I totally get that and respect it, mate...

Me? I'm much too lazy to faff around like that. I would rather simply employ 'chosen people' to max-out my T/T, and other parts of my system (using the components I've selected), and then sit back and play records. I've always seen the gear as merely a means to an end, existing for no reason other than to facilitate my love of music and top-notch sound.

Short of occasional tube-rolling, I leave the 'innards' of my kit well alone!!

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 12:55
Yeah I prefer it round these parts, like you say, many more on lookers without comment... My blue tt thread over there has had over a 1000 views with little comment... Still, there's a few friendly faces over there and copy and paste function help alows split loyalties fairly easy :)
that german forum looks like it might prove a useful resource too, despite the dj leanings

This being a great place for techie owners is one of the reasons why I made my protest in the first place ... But yeah, marco, don't worry I don't want to talk about it any more than you do..
A couple of years back a good mate of mine slept with a mates long standing girl friend ... Bad news, they don't really speak any more, a shame, as prior to that they were good mates ... I've heard both side of the story many times ... Im still mates with them both and don't judge either of them in the judgements and decisions they made in dealing with the situation. None of us talk about it anymore an these days they can even be in the same room as each other... Anyway, that's not the point, the point is I'm still mates with both of them, and after my first bits of involvment in tryin to calm the the choppy seas, I butt right out and let them to it... Same applys here ... I know a lot of both sides and have my views but they shalt not be spoken, certaily not on the open forum!!

leo
26-04-2010, 13:44
How do you know one of the IC's have gone Hamish? whats the problem your getting on the faulty pcb?

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 15:03
I don't for certain but it seems the logical conclusion to come to after all the testing different solutions I have done...
The speed is iregular Leo, it sounds like someone is very quickly ducking around with a wahwah peddle...

Stratmangler
26-04-2010, 17:09
Sounds like you've bolloxed the motor servo.
Or you've not got the bearing seated properly and summat's catching.
Or something is shorting to ground somewhere.

leo
26-04-2010, 17:14
I don't for certain but it seems the logical conclusion to come to after all the testing different solutions I have done...
The speed is iregular Leo, it sounds like someone is very quickly ducking around with a wahwah peddle...

Just wanted an idea of the prob to see if we can narrow down where the fault is.

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 17:16
I been round and round in circles with it chris, excuse the shocking pun, I have had it apart probably 20 times if not more ... A second fully functioning turntable to take apart for bits is the only real solution for me... It will at least give me the spare bits to experiment and find a solution.. Which is exactly what I have done, got one of eBay for £105 ... Which is less than I paid for the one I already have ... Then daves gonna fix my current pcb and il sell it on... I've worked out I'm not gonna lose much, if any money..

Stratmangler
26-04-2010, 17:19
Is it the Mike New bearing you've fitted ?
Any chance of seeing the instructions ?

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 17:29
Here ar Leo, il link you to another thread it's been discused and you can see if you can get them technical brain cogs of yours around it...

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27264&start=15&sid=94ec2164320ec1614dc8f371a5473e22

basically to summerise

I took the tt to bits to put in a mike new and installed it incorectly by placing the black plastic bit on top ... The general concensus is that this pushed down on the pcb and made it short on the bearing.. This seems logical, as I have had varying speed issues from obviously off speed, not starting spinning without a bit of help, spinning overly fast after pressing stop, to jitteryness not visible with my strobe but audible as I said previously like someone is fucking around with a wahwah peddle... Or maybe more acuratly a flange peddle.
Mike touched on the possibilty that the motor was no longer correctly aligned for some reason, which could possibly also be the case ... Either way, it will hopefully be fixable by replacing the motor pcb...
Do you har any thoughts?

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 17:33
Is it the Mike New bearing you've fitted ?
Any chance of seeing the instructions ?

It's unlikely to be the bearing it's self as that was second hand from Hugo (shuggie) but very likely to be my cack handed aproach to installing it :doh:

Stratmangler
26-04-2010, 17:53
It's unlikely to be the bearing it's self as that was second hand from Hugo (shuggie) but very likely to be my cack handed aproach to installing it :doh:

That is exactly why I asked the question.
Having looked at the thread you linked to it does indeed look as though you've knackered one of the power supply phases of the motor somehow.

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 17:57
Yep, I'm a tit, I know that what your thinking ;)

Stratmangler
26-04-2010, 18:06
Yep, I'm a tit, I know that what your thinking ;)

Life is full of lessons - sometimes it costs money to rectify mistakes.
Sometimes it is quicker to not rush into things, but to take your time and consider things better.

Ooooooh, I've come over all Zen-like !

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 18:15
The only frustrating bit is I was actually very methodical in my aproach and I thought I read the structions very carefully ... Turns out not... Yes, it's certainly a lesson learned.. Bunlike I was saying to marco, the silver lining has definatly been I have leaner a lot more about the turntable as well as finding local repair contacts and stumbling on a possible business oportunity... Although I need to think quite a bit more about the later...

Primalsea
26-04-2010, 18:22
Technical stuff isn't really your strong point is it Hamish. No doubt you have gone out and bought some proper tools before taking the TT apart again?

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 18:41
no mate, it isn't ....as for the tool kit, not yet paul, i wasnt sure whether to go for this one

http://www.ecotoytown.com/images/gt_toolset_med.jpg

or this one

http://tradelinetools.com/1700%20watt%20jack%20hammer%20BONUS%202.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
26-04-2010, 19:07
joking aside, i am picking up some of the technical bits and bobs... my problem is when maths is involved ... its like that convo i had with you on telelephone about using scopes as lenses... i know that the aperture is relatively very small when using a scope.. i also know the effect this will have on the photo in terms of dof... why these things happen and what aperture the scope will be is a mystery because maths is involved...
anything electrical in terms of circuit boards and what certain resistors,capacitors do and why etc... ... it just enters my brain and my brain say "computer says no" and it just sorta fades into nothing... its just not where my intelligence is at

leo
27-04-2010, 12:58
Hi Hamish,

Hmm, so if you did short the pcb out there probably is some faults in the circuitry and would require some probing about on the board, if some of the active circuitry needs replacing it'll obviously require some solder work and I know you wanted to avoid that , also if it is a component problem you want somebody experienced going over it, trying to give you some idea's where to test won't be easy unless your familar with circuits, DMM's etc

I noticed on that link you posted Dave C offered to repair it and mentioned he has all the IC's etc, he's an electronics engineer so would have to stick the board on the bench and do a spot of fault finding, the online service manual containing the schematics and details are available online to download so with that handy its just a case of patience and probing.

The Vinyl Adventure
27-04-2010, 13:09
yeah, cheers leo, i thought about asking that chap on that german site if he could talk me through fault finding but it would probably be a ball ache ...
im pretty much sorted with it all now anyway, got a donor deck coming thursday and dave is expecting the current pcb before the end of the week... so im happy

.. on another note, going up to maplins to get some of the bits for my little volume control project in a bit ... im even going to have a go at that "shunt mod" whatever that means ;)

DanJennings
27-04-2010, 18:49
A couple of years back a good mate of mine slept with a mates long standing girl friend ... Bad news, they don't really speak any more, a shame, as prior to that they were good mates ...

nosy nosy.... anyone I know?

The Vinyl Adventure
27-04-2010, 18:55
mill slept with jo, g's lady... they were together the same sorta time me and hannah got together

Stratmangler
27-04-2010, 19:13
mill slept with jo, g's lady... they were together the same sorta time me and hannah got together

If they were asleep then what's the problem ?
I suspect that sleep was the last thing on their minds.
What has this got to do with SL12xx circuit boards ?

The Vinyl Adventure
27-04-2010, 19:18
... Me being mates with both of them after a row... Track back a bit ... I was trying to reasure marco I didn't want to stir up any shit

Stratmangler
27-04-2010, 19:41
If friends of mine fall out I steadfastly refuse to take sides - I've got enough baggage of my own to deal with without carrying someone else' load.

leo
27-04-2010, 21:44
yeah, cheers leo, i thought about asking that chap on that german site if he could talk me through fault finding but it would probably be a ball ache ...
im pretty much sorted with it all now anyway, got a donor deck coming thursday and dave is expecting the current pcb before the end of the week... so im happy

.. on another note, going up to maplins to get some of the bits for my little volume control project in a bit ... im even going to have a go at that "shunt mod" whatever that means ;)

Glad to hear you found a donor deck Hamish, tbh mate it'll be far easier for you.
Anyway keep us updated with this and with the volume control project ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
27-04-2010, 22:02
Got all the bits Leo, posted In the thread about it... Fingers crossed, it's so simple i won't bugger it with my cack handed ness :doh: