PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd Animals

Pigmy Pony
01-12-2018, 07:55
One of my Christmas vinyl choices will be Pink Floyd's 'Animals' on vinyl.

Although the usual option would be to buy from Amazon, I see there are some terrible reviews for it there, citing muddy sound, warped discs and surface imperfections. One person bought a copy and it was so bad he had them send another - which was even worse.

Has anyone experienced this, and do you think I would be better sending the lucky giver to an independent shop or HMV? At least this way I can return more easily. Or does anyone know of a particular pressing/issue to look for or avoid?

struth
01-12-2018, 08:08
Probably all going to come from same place and thus it's going to be same risk.
The returns policy/ease of return, of the seller is most important.

Pigmy Pony
01-12-2018, 08:24
That was my thinking too Grant, so chances are I'll get it from somewhere local :)

Macca
01-12-2018, 08:33
You wouldn't consider getting an original vinyl version second hand? It sold a lot, there are plenty of them out there.

walpurgis
01-12-2018, 08:38
You wouldn't consider getting an original vinyl version second hand? It sold a lot, there are plenty of them out there.

That is a sensible suggestion.

I bought the original album new and I know mine is like new, because it's hardly been played as I didn't really like it much. I rate it as one of Floyd's weaker efforts and suspect others may have thought the same.

Macca
01-12-2018, 08:40
It's actually my favourite later Floyd album possibly because it is the only one I haven't played to death.

sq225917
01-12-2018, 08:47
My fav too.

Stratmangler
01-12-2018, 09:26
do you think I would be better sending the lucky giver to an independent shop or HMV?

In short, no!
If it gets bought in a bricks and mortar store it needs to be returned to one, and they do not reimburse you for your travel costs.
Amazon send you a returns label by email. You repack the LP in the packaging they originally provided, pop on the returns label, and take it to the Post Office or nominated returns store in your area.
They will give you a receipt, and the refund (to the original purchaser) will occur within a day or three.

I have purchased two of the last run of reissues (DSOTM & WYWH), and the pressing quality was excellent.
I bought them in Sainsbury stores.

Pigmy Pony
01-12-2018, 15:13
Anita has bogged off into town armed with my music 'wish list' and all my wages (honestly, using my wages to pay for my Christmas pressies, I think I need to have a word) :(

If she doesn't return with a copy of Animals, I'll go with Macca's and Geoff's suggestion and seek out a used original. I re-acquired DSOTM and WYWH in the last couple of years, and as I've posted before I found the recordings to somehow lack 'sparkle'. Though the jury's out whether that's more to do with my hearing being a bit shit these days.

Thanks Chris, I was not aware of Amazon's returns policy (never had to use it). Good to know.

Macca
01-12-2018, 15:30
Anita has bogged off into town armed with my music 'wish list' and all my wages (honestly, using my wages to pay for my Christmas pressies, I think I need to have a word) :(

If she doesn't return with a copy of Animals, I'll go with Macca's and Geoff's suggestion and seek out a used original. I re-acquired DSOTM and WYWH in the last couple of years, and as I've posted before I found the recordings to somehow lack 'sparkle'. Though the jury's out whether that's more to do with my hearing being a bit shit these days.

Might also be that you listen to a lot more digital recordings these days. On a decent set up you can easily hear the difference. So when you go to play some of the old stuff the drop in fidelity can be a bit of a shock, unless it was a stellar quality analogue recording which neither of them were. I know that is how it is with me, anyway.

Haselsh1
01-12-2018, 15:43
I recently sold my vinyl copy of Animals on ebay. It was one of the latest reissue versions but truth is, I really don't like it as a Floyd album.

Can't win 'em all I guess. I have my faves and it's not one of them.

antonio
01-12-2018, 16:08
This is the one you want. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PINK-FLOYD-ANIMALS-REMASTER-2016-HEAVYWEIGHT-12-180G-VINYL-LP-NEW-SEALED/264066451695?epid=27014871489&hash=item3d7b9648ef:g:HLMAAOSwHSdb6uZE:rk:2:pf:0

Floyddroid
01-12-2018, 16:36

Got to agree with Martinhere.i bought a new copy from Tesco. My sin has it one and after a double Okki Nokki session my original version was a joy to listen too in comparison to the bland sounding new copy. I also agree with Geoff in that I simply find Animals hard to get into and not the bands best work. Marmite methinks.

Pigmy Pony
01-12-2018, 17:59
that's settled then. if Mrs. P doesn't return with it, I'll look for a good used original.

I don't know why I'm fussing over this, it's not my favourite either, but it's years since I last heard it, also I'm trying to complete the set. Nearly there, just need Division Bell, Momentary Lapse, Final Cut, Atom Heart Mother, Piper, Saucerful and More :)

Antonio's suggestion isn't a complete loss though, as it led me to Hendrix's 'Cry of Love' which I also haven't heard in donkeys.