PDA

View Full Version : Timestep Tonearms at Ammonite Audio

Ammonite Audio
25-11-2018, 17:16
I've been stocking the Timestep T-600 series tonearms for a while and just recently reminded myself that they are very good - quite possibly the best sounding removable headshell arm selling for less than a couple of thousand pounds. My Technics SL-1200GR normally sports either a Glanz MH-94S or Jelco TK-850S tonearm, and the Timestep T-609 sits neatly between those in terms of price and performance. Just recently I put a Timestep T-609 on the SL-1200GR, with a Jelco HS-30 headshell and Phasemation PP-300 cartridge, and the results have been utterly beguiling, with a lovely deep, free breathing and expressive character supplemented by great resolution of fine details and a kindly disposition towards surface noise. A Miyajima in the Glanz is quite something else, but at many times the cost.

Here is a picture of the SL-1200GR with with the Timestep T-609 arm, Jelco HS-30 headshell and Phasemation PP-300 cartridge.

https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/20181125-SL1200GR_Timestep_T609_Phasemation_PP-300_Jelco_HS-30.jpg

See the Timestep T-600 series arms, options and prices at https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product/timestep-tonearm/

chris@panteg
07-02-2019, 20:32
Looks fab, is the GR a worthwhile upgrade on an already well sorted upgraded mk2 I wonder?

Ammonite Audio
07-02-2019, 20:45
Well, I think so, as long as the GR's indifferent tonearm is taken out of the equation. The latest 'knife edge' bearing Jelco TK-850 and TK-950 models work really well on the GR, as does the Timestep pictured above which is a sensationally good sounding thing as anyone who has heard its Groovemaster progenitor might expect. The new Technics direct drive motor units really are superb, and musically graceful. While the GR does benefit from a better arm and a good linear PSU like Timestep's latest design, there's really nothing else to tweak and all mods are fully reversible, requiring only a single Pozidrive screwdriver to implement.

It's a shame you are so far from Norwich because you would be welcome to hear my upgraded GR, which is presently sporting a Jelco TK-850S tonearm, Timestep PSU and Phasemation PP-300 cartridge.

chris@panteg
07-02-2019, 23:39
Thanks Hugo, I did meet you at the hifi show last year I think,, we talked about your armboard, and I was very impressed with it.
My mk2 has a bearing, bonded platter upgrade and external psu, with an SME 309, isonoe feet and oyaide mat to top it off.

It sounds pretty damn good but I must admit I'm intrigued by the new GR I think the new motor will be a fundamental upgrade.

Does the GR need a specific armboard or can I use my timestep mk2 board?

Ammonite Audio
08-02-2019, 07:10
The GR is the only model that's different - the armboard opening is the same size but the mounting holes are in different positions and the armboard needs to be lifted up to clear a lip in the arm recess. So, you could use your existing armboard but you'd end up with a visible and unsightly set of unused bolt holes, and you'd need some spacers to lift the board up. But, it will work. My GR armboard comes with a set of machined spacer inserts,which is why it costs £15 more than the other versions.