PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Tonar Diabolic E MM Cart

Wakefield Turntables
20-11-2018, 20:43
Anyone got one second hand? I fancy an experiment over Xmas. :cool:

montesquieu
20-11-2018, 20:49
They are less than £45 new .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tonar-Diabolic-E-DJ-Cartridge-Stylus/183526937579?hash=item2abb0ed3eb:g:IhsAAOSwBZBb5bm 6:rk:1:pf:0

anubisgrau
21-11-2018, 00:20
what is use of 8mV cartridge at home?

gerlando
21-11-2018, 06:48

To have a greater dynamic maybe?

Tone could be not perfect, but you can have the same feelings of a live rock concert. :)

montesquieu
21-11-2018, 08:51

It’s fun for some listening.

anubisgrau
21-11-2018, 12:25
no hard feelings - my reaction was from perspective or experience that one of the main enemies of good vinyl reproduction (among many) is signal overloading. i find harmonizing the gain structure between pickup and phono pre - essential and first step before other tweaking (capacity, impedance). 8mV is pretty far from the usual standards for MM in audio.

in my system i would not be able to use this pickup without going into overload, however i am sure that DJ mixers based on opamps are more flexible in this matter, plus they all have a gain control so you can still avoid going into red when using it in a club. i have no doubt the pickup is fun for some music, i would expect lots of dynamics, bass and a bit of loudness effect.

Firebottle
21-11-2018, 12:41
I wouldn't have thought you would have any problems with overload with your Shishido Gordan?

montesquieu
21-11-2018, 12:59
no hard feelings - my reaction was from perspective or experience that one of the main enemies of good vinyl reproduction (among many) is signal overloading. i find harmonizing the gain structure between pickup and phono pre - essential and first step before other tweaking (capacity, impedance). 8mV is pretty far from the usual standards for MM in audio.

in my system i would not be able to use this pickup without going into overload, however i am sure that DJ mixers based on opamps are more flexible in this matter, plus they all have a gain control so you can still avoid going into red when using it in a club. i have no doubt the pickup is fun for some music, i would expect lots of dynamics, bass and a bit of loudness effect.

Surely it’s the opposite Gordon, most tube preamps have no trouble at all with overload compared to cheap op amps, 10mV is pretty normal limit for a tube preamp. No problem at all on my EAR 912.

I suspect your excess gain issues may be elsewhere than the phono stage.

anubisgrau
21-11-2018, 13:07
it depends on design i guess. i dunno EAR 912, mine is built to secure 2V output with 2mV input (used with AVC, no active phono). i had unpleasant results with hotter outputs from the MC cartridges after SUT, i would say my limit is 0.5mV i get from koetsu through SUT. i just don't like the sound when there is more output.

but you are right that it is subjective. i spent lots of time harmonizing the gain structure throughout the whole system - given my hi eff speakers.

as for the opamps based RIAAs, it is not an universal quality - DJ equipment is designed with different standards in mind.

we are trolling the sale topic, apology from my side

isobarik
22-11-2018, 11:21
4-5 gram tracking force? That's quite a lot in my opinion. Just noticed! The cartridge is for mixing and scratching!
Regards
Ray

montesquieu
22-11-2018, 12:31
Pretty normal for low compliance cartridges.

I’d much rather that than something skittering around at half a gramme

cuddles
22-11-2018, 19:50
This is a flippin' bargain. I swapped out my AT33PTG/11 for this and I don't think I'll be putting it back :stalks:

Lee Henley
23-11-2018, 08:09
I use one myself, did all the mods that can be done such as nuding the stylus and body and putting the body into a wooden body from ebay, the wooden body even has machined threaded inserts for mounting and costs less than £50. I really like this cart especially with the mods, if you have original 50's and 60's Jazz vinyl the sound is very addictive to say the least. Ive tried the combo on a wide range of music and still enjoy the sound its awesome on rock music from the 70's.

Ive got the cart mounted on my JELCO 750D which sits on my Spacedeck, and have had no issues at all with this setup, at some point I shall put it on the Lenco but Im having that much fun with the Spacedeck it will be a while yet.

Put it like this if the cart broke Id go and buy another one tomorrow no hesitation

gerlando
23-11-2018, 09:24
the sound its awesome on rock music from the 70's.

Agree.:)

cuddles
23-11-2018, 19:15
I use one myself, did all the mods that can be done such as nuding the stylus and body and putting the body into a wooden body from ebay, the wooden body even has machined threaded inserts for mounting and costs less than £50. I really like this cart especially with the mods, if you have original 50's and 60's Jazz vinyl the sound is very addictive to say the least. Ive tried the combo on a wide range of music and still enjoy the sound its awesome on rock music from the 70's.

Ive got the cart mounted on my JELCO 750D which sits on my Spacedeck, and have had no issues at all with this setup, at some point I shall put it on the Lenco but Im having that much fun with the Spacedeck it will be a while yet.

Put it like this if the cart broke Id go and buy another one tomorrow no hesitation

After reading this I'm going to buy another one to try nuding the body. The pink body is a bit in your face! Another thing with this cart is that surface noise is reduced to a minimum.

montesquieu
23-11-2018, 19:24
After reading this I'm going to buy another one to try nuding the body. The pink body is a bit in your face! Another thing with this cart is that surface noise is reduced to a minimum.

Considering buying a second one too for the same purpose.

Thomas Schick somehow manages to get the luminous paint off the tip on his rebody conversions, anyone have any thoughts on how to do that without melting off the stylus?:scratch: