PDA

View Full Version : My DIY Speakers - The Ugly 1-A's!

ThresholdSpectralLover
23-04-2010, 06:29
Here are my DIY speakers that I'm listening to these days. - They may look BAD, (Yikes! LOL) but they are the best I've ever had. 1st the technical side: The top boxes are +- 2.5 DB from about 300HZ up. The problem that I have with testing in my place is that with my projector screen, and smaller room, it isn't enough room to test the individual speakers down to say 200 hz. This results in me not compensating for the diffraction loss, so without the bottom box the top satellites start to drop off the lower mid/upper bass to fast, and they sound a bit shrill. With the Behringer Ultradrive crossover that I use and with the bottom boxes, I can compensate for the diffraction perfectly, and I'm THRILLED with the way that they sound now.

The art side: The top boxes are braced like rocks! I used about 40 Cu inches (650 Cu CM) of red oak inside. The braces come off a center top to bottom piece, and they touch the walls at two points on each side inside. The bolts are torque tuned to two different settings. When you knock on the box it is really like knocking on a solid block of MDF. They are covered with linoleum tile, which kills off the last bit of resonance. The drivers in the top box are TRI-WIRED with the crossovers as close to the amp as possible. This is something that I would not do again. I don't think that I hear the difference as much as I thought, and having the crossover 1 foot away from the amp, makes dealing with it a real pain in the a$$. LOL

One thing is completely unorthodox: The top tweeter breaks the rules of conventional design theory which states that a supertweeter should be as close as possible to the lower tweeter. I did this as kind of a band aid. After testing the MTM array, the center tweeter has a rough response above about 6K. The solution? Add a supertweeter on top, and cross it over! LOL The good news is that this seems to give the top speakers, a MUCH bigger sound. They sound almost as large as a 1 meter high ribbon. The combo of the Dynaudio D-28II and the D-21a.f. have a superb sounding treble, with a TON of dynamic range.

The bottom boxes are totally reinforced Fisher XP-7 boxes. By the time that I was done with them, I realized it would have been easier to just build NEW boxes. They have adjustable, aperiodic tuning, which you can see in some of the pics. I have them sitting on small patio bricks, to keep the bass tighter, so that the cabinet doesn't resonate in to the floor.

They are driven by a Threshold S-300 series II E-mod on the top, and a Threshold S-300 II on the bottom. The amps are class-A up to about 25 watts per channel. I guess the setup is good for a total of about 50 watts class-A per side. They are 4 ohms, so I'm looking at 600 watts per channel. (I hardly ever go over 5-10) My subs, and the third Threshold are not hooked back up yet. Subjectively, IMO, this combination has extremely clear definition. The bass is extremely tight and, fast. I was playing the Bobby Colomby drum solo off of, "Blood Sweat & Tears II." L.P. I wanted to push it until it said uncle! It sounded like he was in the room, and suddenly I heard a WAP which was the voice coils bottoming out on the back plate. They are the older Etons, and they don't have the extended rear bump room like the newer versions have. When I hook up the subs, and get the low bass out of them, I doubt that it will happen again. With the, "Hexacone" technology, they have been described as sounding like electrostatics.

Anyway, I should call them the, Ugly 1-a's! LOL They thrill me though. ETA: They don't sit lopsided like they appear to. LOL That was me shooting them with my camera turned 90 degrees.

John
23-04-2010, 06:35
Cheers for sharing Dave I reckon they would sound very good
You have not seen mine they look like PA speakers but like you very happy with the sound, Finally got a cabinet maker to build a proper looking baffle Hope to show pictures Sunday as travelling up to Vic to get the new baffles on Saturday

ThresholdSpectralLover
23-04-2010, 06:44
Cheers for sharing Dave I reckon they would sound very good
You have not seen mine they look like PA speakers but like you very happy with the sound, Finally got a cabinet maker to build a proper looking baffle Hope to show pictures Sunday as travelling up to Vic to get the new baffles on SaturdayThanks! Yeah just to build a good box is harder than people think since I am no master craftsman! LOL Yes the whole idea was to veneer them later, but I never got to it. Here is the last pic. I've seen some BEAUTIFUL work by people on the DIY audio form. I hope more people post speaker projects here. :)

John
23-04-2010, 07:01
They are a few people here that built speakers
In September there is a good DIY meet in Owston and lots of great sounds from DIY projects If i go this year I take some photos for you
I would love to hear Steves open baffles

MartinT
23-04-2010, 07:46
I salute your DIY staying power. Many years ago I built a pair of IPL S5TL transmission line speakers (an older version of these http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/S5%20Kevlar%20Ribbon.htm) and tweaked the crossovers a lot, it was great fun and very rewarding. I still have the speakers in a spare room but unfortunately not connected up at present.

Threshold amps are Nelson Pass designs, aren't they? Respect!

Ali Tait
23-04-2010, 10:07
They are a few people here that built speakers
In September there is a good DIY meet in Owston and lots of great sounds from DIY projects If i go this year I take some photos for you
I would love to hear Steves open baffles

There is an Owston 15-16th next month John.

John
23-04-2010, 11:59
Ahh thanks
Not sure if I can make it but I would like to attend and bring my speakers

HighFidelityGuy
23-04-2010, 12:51
Wow, they look like something the A-Team built during a montage. :lolsign:
I can see the level of thought that's gone into these though, what with the aperiodic vents etc. I bet they sound a million times better than they look and that's the important thing. I hate form over function, so I respect your non-compromising approach to making them sound great.

I guess you could always use these as a prototype and make some snazzy looking ones based on their design, then you'd have the full package. :)

Ali Tait
23-04-2010, 12:54
Ahh thanks
Not sure if I can make it but I would like to attend and bring my speakers

Good if you could make it,we're always interested in new stuff.

goraman
07-05-2010, 01:58
Bride of Frankenstine would rate them -0 in Wife Exceptance Factor.
You should put them on Audio Gone with a crazy high price tag and see if anyone bites.

ThresholdSpectralLover
07-05-2010, 02:06
Bride of Frankenstine would rate them -0 in Wife Exceptance Factor.
You should put them on Audio Gone with a crazy high price tag and see if anyone bites.Yeah......but you would shut your mouth if you heard then though. :lol:

goraman
07-05-2010, 04:33
They might just sound fantastic,there looks to be alot of thought in there desighn.
But there not going to fly with the ladys.
No disrespect Dave but you even used big Frankenbolts to brace the cabnets,you have to admit their uniqeness might not be for everyone.

I oncs had crazy freind whos father owned a wrecking yard.
He built up an AMC Gremlin from more cars than I list here, but none of the body matched and each fender,door hood ect.. was faded,rusty,dented amd missmatched.the interior was from several different cars too but under a whole pile of butt ugly was a small block 327 V8 blue printed and ballanced, ported and hand lapped molly valves,forged dome top pistons ect... and an M22 rock crusher 4 speed,ford pinto independant front end and a rear independant Jaguar with all the coil springs hand selected from God knows what. The only odd thing was dual exhaust and very expencive Goodyear Eagle GT 200mph speed rated tires.
He would roll up to a then brandnew 84 corvette the guy would laugh at Durwoods car(most people did) but it was even funnyer to see that old looking shit box out run,out drive and flat out leave the vett in a wake of broken pretenshusness.

If they sound as good as you say,Your Frankenspeakers would make Durwood proud.

ThresholdSpectralLover
07-05-2010, 06:08
They might just sound fantastic,there looks to be alot of thought in there desighn.
But there not going to fly with the ladys.
No disrespect Dave but you even used big Frankenbolts to brace the cabnets,you have to admit their uniqeness might not be for everyone.

I oncs had crazy freind whos father owned a wrecking yard.
He built up an AMC Gremlin from more cars than I list here, but none of the body matched and each fender,door hood ect.. was faded,rusty,dented amd missmatched.the interior was from several different cars too but under a whole pile of butt ugly was a small block 327 V8 blue printed and ballanced, ported and hand lapped molly valves,forged dome top pistons ect... and an M22 rock crusher 4 speed,ford pinto independant front end and a rear independant Jaguar with all the coil springs hand selected from God knows what. The only odd thing was dual exhaust and very expencive Goodyear Eagle GT 200mph speed rated tires.
He would roll up to a then brandnew 84 corvette the guy would laugh at Durwoods car(most people did) but it was even funnyer to see that old looking shit box out run,out drive and flat out leave the vett in a wake of broken pretenshusness.

If they sound as good as you say,Your Frankenspeakers would make Durwood proud.Oh I know. That's why I call them the ugly 1-a's. The idea was to get them right, then turn around and finish them with veneer etc, By then I was already on to the next design. If you go to the DIY audio forum, there is some real beautiful, and COMPLICATED box designs there. One guy took a bunch of sheets of MDF, cut out each one individually, then stacked, and glued them all together. Came out beautiful, and must = a big rock for resonance.

If you want to see muscle cars, check out world of wheels on my Facebook link! LOL They're like yor friends car, with the looks of a 'Vette.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=520122726