PDA

View Full Version : Jelco Headshells now Available at Ammonite Audio

Ammonite Audio
19-11-2018, 12:33
Jelco HS-25 and HS-30 headshells are now available from Ammonite Audio, as well as Jelco tonearms, headshell wires and the SG-1 stylus force gauge. Free UK shipping on all Jelco products.

See our stock of Jelco products here: https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/product-category/jelco/

https://ammonite-audio.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/20181116-Jelco_HS-30_Headshell_Ammonite_Audio.jpg

YNWaN
19-11-2018, 12:50
I'm surprised you haven't designed your own Hugo.

Ammonite Audio
19-11-2018, 13:48
It’s on the cards

YNWaN
19-11-2018, 14:03
Thought it may be ;)

Was it yourself who asked me, some time ago, about a soft-start module for a BMU?

Ammonite Audio
19-11-2018, 15:19
Yes it was me. In the end I left the big disc thermistor in the Airlink BMU as the soft start, with a switch to bypass it once the big transformer is magnetised. It seems to work well without degrading the sound like the thermistor does after a few weeks of use; and since the Airlink BMU has no room within its chassis for a more elegant soft start circuit, it's probably the best solution. If I was starting again, I'd possibly buy the bare toroid and build it into a larger chassis with a big DC blocker and a soft start circuit .

The challenge with a headshell design is to make it multi-adjustable and non-resonant while keeping mass within broadly sensible limits, and preferably under 15g. There are plenty of good adjustable headshells out there that weight more than 16g, but I need to cater for people who want genuine ease of use and adjustment, but who use medium compliance cartridges.

YNWaN
20-11-2018, 00:01
Ah, thought so. Sorry to hijack the thread, I’ll call you in the next couple of days as I have just purchased a soft-start for my BMU (I do like your solution though - elegantly simple). There is room inside my case for the module.

I’m really not convinced by the design of a lot of the removable headshells on the market and many seem to be more fashion led than anything else.