PDA

View Full Version : MAD Hi Fi+15 courses dinner Cable spagetti, baked crab with capacitor

MAD
22-04-2010, 21:39
:lol: Let's go MAD again on 22nd May 2010 for a crazy day! I think some of you was too full last time. I suggest this time you can fast for a day, some that you have plenty of space for 15 courses of top quality food.

I am pleased this time I can bring the compact enough MyClapton speakers, some Mark and me don't need to carry tones of equipments up and down again, we nearly had an heart attack as well as panic attack (you can't park at Whitehall).

Anyway, some of you probably have no bloody idea what we are talking about. On the day, we will do some crazy thing like:

1, Weight Training - Lifting tonnes of equippments up and down. Feel free to bring your speakers along if you are strong enough.

2, Penetration - Plug in a lot of different cables to hear what they like. Last time we tested 6, but it was quite boring. Perhaps this time we only compare the best of the best stuffs. If you have Nordost Odin, Valhala etc.. Please bring them along with you.

3, Dating - with the MyClapton loudspeakers, if you missed your chance at the show. This time it will partner with an Audio Note system instead of solid state. If you fallen in love with him(them), you can consider to bring them home and sleep with them everynight. You can have any finish you like. Don't fallen in love with the pretty waitress, her mum is very striaght and she may ask you date her instead. In fact Mr. Lee (The owner of the restaurant) received a few anonymous calls enquired about the girl after the feast..... Weird::eyebrows:

4, Eating and Drinking - I think last time we had more than 15 courses, could someone remind me how much was it? Oh, here you are!

My friends restaurant called Sole Luna, next to South Kensington Tube station, off street meter parking is available right outside the restaurant, let's get the Hi-Fi thing start at 1400 and having dinner in the evening. Sole Luna is an Italian Restaurant you never know who you are going to meet there, once my friend introduced me to Woody Allen & various celebrities. The good thing for his place is use 'discreet components', that means it is a very discreet place (Private Dinning) and 'components' means many dishes, as I said it's going to be 15 courses, not 3, not 5, it is 15!!!! My freind will cook in a very special fusion style, he will charge us only £25 included unlimited supply of wine and soft drinks (during the dinner). Please make sure you don't eat hi fi after binge drinking. (Perhaps you can try to ask me to sell you cables for £1 when I am piss, you never know I might say yes!). What you can expect is I cannot tell you what he's going to cook, but it is like Naim, Linn, ATC, MAD & SANE etc... whatever they make is expected to be a brilliant one. You can never have the same dish again at his place, everytime you visit there is a new suprise. Let's see what people said last time

http://theartofsound.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=73662

[QUOTE=Dave Cawley;76665]http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7050.jpg

Lounging around waiting for the start

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7052.jpg

Love is a pair of headphones

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7053.jpg

Mmmmmmm is that cable better or not?

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7056.jpg

OK, make that a beer and a tonic water please

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7061.jpg

Now this is the better cable!

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7069.jpg

Sony DAT recorder, A.N.T. Amber headphone amplifier
and Denon D-7000 headphones

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7070.jpg

Just about to tuck in, only another 18 courses to go.......

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7071.jpg

Slow starters

http://www.soundhifi.com/FOURUMIMAGES/IMG_7072.jpg

Done and dusted, none could eat another thing

As the photo's show we had a really great time! The afternoon started when the Italian Restaurant didn't know we were booked into the room upstairs but hopefully we all found it!. We had a show-and-tell table (forgot to photograph it) with a copper DAC and the gorgeous Miniwatt amplifier (more on that in another thread) and a couple of headphone amps working from a Nakamichie cassette deck and a Sony DAT Walkman.

The best bit was the meal, dish after dish was served at a breathtaking rate, we ate, ate and ate even more. The standard was simply wonderful and included such delicacy as soft shell crab that we eat whole and a rather tasty chicken and chilli dish. But it was the sheer number and size of the dishes that captivated us. I did in fact eat twice as much as some people and one and a half times that of most people. We were spread over two tables.

Do you want to come along?:eek:

The Grand Wazoo
22-04-2010, 22:24
Sadly, once again I won't be able to attend as geography is against me. But, as for last time, a sincere thanks for the invitation.

Just one thing. If you're going to do this.............

Plug in a lot of different cables.....................this time we only compare the best of the best stuffs. If you have Nordost Odin, Valhala etc.. Please bring them along with you.

.........I think you really should consider including the all conquering and spiff'nificent 'Barry D. Hunt-erconnects' in your test as a control.

John
23-04-2010, 04:06
I am up for it I think it was about £20 for the 15 course meal I might bring my open baffles along but parking around that area is not so good so no not sure
Ahh just saw the £25 The food was amazing and for what you getting this is extremly cheap

twelvebears
23-04-2010, 08:26
Yep I'm in!

Alex_UK
23-04-2010, 13:09
Unfortunately I am unable to make it as I will be away with the family on hols - disappointing to have missed both but there you go - third time lucky, maybe?

I'm sure you'll all have a great time - enjoy!

Barry
23-04-2010, 15:57
If the meal is at the same venue as last time, where will the auditioning take place - at your premises in Croydon? You need to give us the address Tim.

Provisionally, I ought to be able to make it - but we do need to know where!

Regards

John
23-04-2010, 17:10
Same as last place we had it; near the station

MAD
23-04-2010, 17:58
If the meal is at the same venue as last time, where will the auditioning take place - at your premises in Croydon? You need to give us the address Tim.

Provisionally, I ought to be able to make it - but we do need to know where!

Regards

It is the same place as last time, the audition again will be at the restaurant like last time, but without boring R&D kind of cable comparasion.:lol:

MAD
23-04-2010, 18:00
Same as last place we had it; near the station

Yep, there's pay meter parking 50m from Sole Luna (Our private paradise).:lol:

MAD
23-04-2010, 18:02
Yep I'm in!

Will you bring your hi -fi trolley with you? (Look at your picture):eek:

Ali Tait
23-04-2010, 18:27
That bloke in the white short-sleeved shirt sitting on the right looks well dodgy! :lol:

MAD
23-04-2010, 18:55
Sorry! The date should be 22nd May 2010, so some of you have holiday plan may still able to come.

Barry
23-04-2010, 19:06
I'll be there!

Regards

twelvebears
24-04-2010, 09:13
Ah well in that case I won't be coming. It's my B'day and I have plans... :-(

MAD
24-04-2010, 14:10
Ah well in that case I won't be coming. It's my B'day and I have plans... :-(

You can celebrate with us! We might give you a big suprise.:lol: A free Mcintosh MC275 as birthday present?:lol:

Ammonite Audio
24-04-2010, 17:59
You can celebrate with us! We might give you a big suprise.:lol: A free Mcintosh MC275 as birthday present?:lol:

It's almost my birthday too. Do I get to choose a pressie?:)

John
24-04-2010, 23:12
I can come 22nd but can you confirm which date

Barry
24-04-2010, 23:23
Hi Tim,

Would you like me to bring along some cables, to 'throw into the ring'?

Regards

Marco
25-04-2010, 23:17
That bloke in the white short-sleeved shirt sitting on the right looks well dodgy! :lol:

Yes, they didn't catch my best side - my backside! :lolsign:

Marco.

MAD
26-04-2010, 12:53
Hi Tim,

Would you like me to bring along some cables, to 'throw into the ring'?

Regards

Bring anything along, we are going to have fun on the day! It would be nice to hear the MyClapton with different cables, I never tried them with different cable. This time I should sit down and listen too, we should train the pretty waitress to change the cable. Will you give them away as presents to birthday boys? :ner:

I will ask my friend BJ to bring some bloody expensive Valhala (Nordost cable- not Vanilla)with him. Who will bring a turntable?

John
26-04-2010, 17:23
I might be able to get a tt I let you know

MAD
27-04-2010, 15:00
I might be able to get a tt I let you know I should bring my okki nokki!

John
01-05-2010, 07:30
Vic plus1
He bring the Salvation along and phonostage

PRYML
06-05-2010, 19:12
Hi Tim,

I finally confirmed my schedule to the UK, so it's a Big YES! I'll be attending... :eyebrows:

... though I wonder if my very specific dietary requirements can be accommodated :rolleyes:

...not seriously expecting 15 courses of "accommodation" though :lol:

Regards,

Malek

MAD
14-05-2010, 11:27
Hi Folks,

Now we only have the following people confirmed will come to the event on 22nd May 2010. I would be very pleased if you could reconfirm it by tomorrow, especially if you wish to join for the dinner, we only have very limited places for dinner and we only have 4 places left now! Please kindly reconfirm b4 this sunday if you wish to come. This time we will have some other folks from some Hi-Fi Clubs.

John
Barry
Malek
Jimmy Hughes

Gear list

My Audio Design - MyClapton Grand MM
John's Open baffle
Nordost Valhalla
MAD Diamond Signature
NuForce New amplifiers
Audio Note Mono Blocks
Benchmark DAC1 HDR
Copulare Antivibration feets

MAD
14-05-2010, 11:29
Hi Tim,

I finally confirmed my schedule to the UK, so it's a Big YES! I'll be attending... :eyebrows:

... though I wonder if my very specific dietary requirements can be accommodated :rolleyes:

...not seriously expecting 15 courses of "accommodation" though :lol:

Regards,

Malek

I told Mr Lee that (restaurant owner) he should cook more veggi dishes this time.

John
14-05-2010, 12:18
Hi Tim
I am not sure if I can bring the open baffles They are quite big now and not so easy to transport If someone can give me a hand then I reconsider
I might be able to get Vic to bring his Salvation TT along no promises I confirm before Sunday it really is something special

Barry
14-05-2010, 13:25
Hi Folks,

Now we only have the following people confirmed will come to the event on 22nd May 2010. I would be very pleased if you could reconfirm it by tomorrow, especially if you wish to join for the dinner, we only have very limited places for dinner and we only have 4 places left now! Please kindly reconfirm b4 this sunday if you wish to come. This time we will have some other folks from some Hi-Fi Clubs.

John
Barry
Malek
Jimmy Hughes

Gear list

My Audio Design - MyClapton Grand MM
John's Open baffle
Nordost Valhalla
MAD Diamond Signature
NuForce New amplifiers
Audio Note Mono Blocks
Benchmark DAC1 HDR
Copulare Antivibration feets

Hi Tim,

Would you like me to bring along some cables? I can bring the cables we listened to last time (to act as a reference) plus two sets of experimental cables I have made to try out.

Looking forward to meeting up again, and to hearing your My Clapton speakers.

Regards

MAD
14-05-2010, 21:40
Hi Tim,

Would you like me to bring along some cables? I can bring the cables we listened to last time (to act as a reference) plus two sets of experimental cables I have made to try out.

Looking forward to meeting up again, and to hearing your My Clapton speakers.

Regards

Feel free to launch your new cables on the day! It would be interesting to hear what they sound like. Perhaps this time we can compare some new stuffs, don't worry about what has been tested last time.

PRYML
14-05-2010, 22:01
I told Mr Lee that (restaurant owner) he should cook more veggi dishes this time.

Thanks Tim,

But really, you don't have to worry so much about me ;) I'm used to tip-toeing around menus etc when I'm eating out. Furthermore, I'm not wholly-vegetarian; I still take seafood, eggs etc. I'm more worried about eating food seasoned/laced with MSG (monosodium glutamate) as I'm very allergic to it :lol:

Malek

PRYML
16-05-2010, 22:30
Currently keeping track of airborne Volcanic Ash activity over UK airspace, as I fear that I won't be able to fly into Heathrow on the 22nd as scheduled... :rolleyes:

p.s. Plan to bring a silver-coated copper mains cable and a pair of loudspeaker cables from a very obscure brand/OEM rebrand :scratch: which I got whilst in Singapore, to see how they fare ;)

Malek

John
17-05-2010, 07:53
Yes it seems quite uncertain but Heathrow back up and running on a limited basis today so hope all right for your trip

MAD
18-05-2010, 13:35
Thanks Tim,

But really, you don't have to worry so much about me ;) I'm used to tip-toeing around menus etc when I'm eating out. Furthermore, I'm not wholly-vegetarian; I still take seafood, eggs etc. I'm more worried about eating food seasoned/laced with MSG (monosodium glutamate) as I'm very allergic to it :lol:

Malek

Don't worry! I have to change my plan this week! Many people tell me that they couldn't come. So I have change the venue from South Kensington to my croydon demonstration room.

MAD
18-05-2010, 13:44
Sorry guys, I am sorry to tell you that the change of venue on this saturday, as there's a volcano ashes problem, and many couldn't turn up because it is crushing the european football matches on the day. I will propose a new day and let you guys know when. However, for those who wish to listen to something on the day, I receive you at my private listening room instead. Please e-mail me at admin@madengland.com if you wish to come along. Thanks!

John
23-05-2010, 07:47
First of all a big thank you to Tim and Esther it was great meeting you again
The food was amazing Mr Lee just cooks stunning cuisine
WE listened to newer model of the My Clapton Speakers They are extremely coherent and very transparent speakers and create an amazing sound-stage Tim was telling me that David Price is reviewing them and will give them a very positive review which they deserve
We did not play with cables just a few amps a Nu Force which was far to forward and tiring some Audio notes that had great mids but lacked some coherence The star of the show were some Chameleon amps I do not know to much about these amps but very clean and coherent

PRYML
23-05-2010, 18:37
I echo John's comments :)

As usual, it's great to put actual faces to people in the forum. John's more than he seems as well ;) And it was just too bad that Eric (a non-forum member; YET!) wasn't able to join us for dinner as he had a prior engagement to attend to :(

It was also a pleasant surprise to have met up with Paul Messenger (a man whose face I'm so used to seeing only in various publications over the last 22 odd years or so) and his lovely partner during the dinner (comprising authentic Shanghai Cuisine, whose number I lost count of), where subjects raised went well beyond the usual sphere encompassing HiFi/music :)

Good food/drink and good conversation; a sure-fire recipe for a successful evening out with friends, if I do say so myself :cool:

Malek

John
23-05-2010, 18:43
Paul and his partner were lovelly to chat too
A shame Barry could not make it I hope the back is better
Nice meeting you too Malek its always good to suprise people!

MAD
23-05-2010, 22:36
Paul and his partner were lovelly to chat too
A shame Barry could not make it I hope the back is better
Nice meeting you too Malek its always good to suprise people!

I spent more than 40 mins to find my car back! Crazy night! :lol::cool:
I need new silver wire in my malfunction brain!

MAD
24-05-2010, 22:23
First of all a big thank you to Tim and Esther it was great meeting you again
The food was amazing Mr Lee just cooks stunning cuisine
WE listened to newer model of the My Clapton Speakers They are extremely coherent and very transparent speakers and create an amazing sound-stage Tim was telling me that David Price is reviewing them and will give them a very positive review which they deserve
We did not play with cables just a few amps a Nu Force which was far to forward and tiring some Audio notes that had great mids but lacked some coherence The star of the show were some Chameleon amps I do not know to much about these amps but very clean and coherent

The NuForce are sounding amazingly good now! It is such a big suprise. I think it wasn't burn in properly at the time when we listened to them.

John
25-05-2010, 04:25
yes burn in makes such a big difference

PRYML
25-05-2010, 04:43
The NuForce are sounding amazingly good now! It is such a big suprise. I think it wasn't burn in properly at the time when we listened to them.

Then I think I'm due for another visit to the "listening room" for a proper evaluation :)

Malek

Barry
25-05-2010, 10:08
Hi Tim,

I was dissapointed not to be able to attend, as I would have liked to have heard your 'My Clapton' speakers, as well as the NuForce amplifiers.

Now that you have burnt-in the NuForce amps, I am especially keen to hear that combination.

Any plans for another MAD Dinner later in the year? I'll make sure my back is up to it!

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Regards

John
25-05-2010, 11:25
Why not visit Tim he has a good listening room and his lovelly wife and daughter to entertain

MAD
25-05-2010, 20:02
:ner::ner:
Then I think I'm due for another visit to the "listening room" for a proper evaluation :)

Malek

:ner:when are you in london next? barry is asking when we do it again?

PRYML
26-05-2010, 00:49
:ner::ner:

:ner:when are you in london next? barry is asking when we do it again?

Will keep you updated ;)

Regards,

Malek

MAD
26-05-2010, 13:12
Will keep you updated ;)

Regards,

Malek:stalks:

PRYML
26-05-2010, 16:57
:stalks:

Just got my latest schedule, Tim :)

I expect to be in London again on the 17th of June (Thursday) and the 4th of July (Sunday); if not one day earlier (for both the aforementioned dates), as I'm on Standby a day earlier for both dates :rolleyes:

Regards,

Malek

MAD
27-05-2010, 15:57
Shall we say 3rd July? We just received five globes on the Hi-Fi World review for the MyClapton Grand MM

Just got my latest schedule, Tim :)

I expect to be in London again on the 17th of June (Thursday) and the 4th of July (Sunday); if not one day earlier (for both the aforementioned dates), as I'm on Standby a day earlier for both dates :rolleyes:

Regards,

Malek

PRYML
27-05-2010, 17:07
Shall we say 3rd July? We just received five globes on the Hi-Fi World review for the MyClapton Grand MM

Well, this is all assuming I'm needed to replace a colleague etc one day earlier than my original schedule. I'll email/text you if that's the case ;)

Regards,

Malek

p.s. Congratulations on being Awarded the Five HiFi-World Globes :)

PRYML
27-05-2010, 18:12
We just received five globes on the Hi-Fi World review for the MyClapton Grand MM

I've actually forgotten that the July issue of Hi-Fi World was already out :lol:

Having only been a VERY recent subscriber to the magazine's Digital Edition, I wasn't used to looking out for the latest issue online :doh:

Thanks for reminding me. And congratulations :clap: for the glowing review of MyClapton Grand MM :eyebrows:

Five Globes is a heavy burden to bear :p

Regards,

Malek