PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Audio Reference 705 PMC

Jac Hawk
14-11-2018, 13:30
Does anyone know anything about these speakers, I’ve been on the Monitor Audio site and can’t find anything

nonuffin
14-11-2018, 13:40
Not surprised you cannot find them on the MA website, they have been out of production for many years.

I had their smaller siblings the 703s and they are a great speaker but the 705 has the additional bass driver for more welly.

Some user reviews http://www.audioreview.com/product/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/monitor-audio/705-pmc.html

newton
14-11-2018, 15:07
spec here http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/monitor-audio-700-pmc.674742/

Jac Hawk
14-11-2018, 20:17
I sent an email off to Monitor Audio for some info this afternoon, by 4pm they had sent me the years of production , technical specs and brochure, ok I sent it from my work email address and we are AV integrators but even so, well done MA on such a quick and thorough response

Pigmy Pony
14-11-2018, 21:01
Monitor Audio speakers were always nicely put together, with some gorgeous wood finishes. Although my surround speakers, MA Radius, are gloss black, which is just black and glossy.

Why the curiosity Mike? You thinking about getting some?

Jac Hawk
14-11-2018, 22:19
Yup and you’re right they do seem to be very well put together and finished

Pigmy Pony
14-11-2018, 22:31
Let us know if (when) you get them. Mine's coffee one sugar. :D

Jac Hawk
14-11-2018, 22:42
Getting them this weekend mate, sure you don’t fancy something a bit stronger than coffee

Lawrence001
14-11-2018, 23:29
Getting them this weekend mate, sure you don’t fancy something a bit stronger than coffeeIs that the pair on eBay I was watching Oxford way, just sold, I was thinking about them.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Jac Hawk
15-11-2018, 13:22
Them are the ones

Jac Hawk
16-11-2018, 13:11
Ok so i picked up the speakers last night, the guy i bought them off on ebay did a great job of packing them and had a mate of his that took them all the way to Liverpool for me so it saved me a trip down to Oxfordshire this weekend.

Visual impressions are very very good, the finish of the cabinets is 1st rate and they are heavy, really heavy given their size, i'll post some picks shortly.

I've not as yet had enough time to fully evaluate the sound quality, the issue i had with my trust old MS 45Ti's was that the top end was a bit fatiguing at high listening levels and over a longer session, also the bottom end was not as controlled as i would like. i played 1 vinyl LP (Curiosity Killed the Cat, keep your distance ) and a couple of CD's (Soul 2 Soul club classics vol 1 & Tracy Chapman) first impressions are very good, the top end is detailed but smooth and not as bright as the MS 45Ti's, so although i've not been sat in front of them for a long time it all looks good in that department. The bass was what i was concerned about as the MS 45Ti's have 8 inch drives and the 705'S only have 6 inch and in a slimmer smaller looking enclosure, all i can say is WOW, deeper, controlled so the bass is still part of the music and not a bi-product of poor control and trying too hard to go low.........

Pigmy Pony
16-11-2018, 21:26
I was playing that Soul II Soul album a couple of days ago - track one (Keep on Moving) has a rather growly bass line which should be a good tester for your new babies. :)

Jac Hawk
16-11-2018, 21:47
Yeh that album is a good test of bass control, too many speakers struggle with many of the tracks especially when you crank up the volume, the 705’s seem to have an almost vice like grip on the LF side of things quite refreshing really

Pigmy Pony
16-11-2018, 22:02
Sent you a pm Mike. :)