PDA

View Full Version : FS: SHURE M55E Moving Magnet Cartridge with Original Stylus, Boxed with Instructions

gerlando
13-11-2018, 16:23
Shure M55E stereo magnetic cartridge (circa 1975) with an original Shure N55E stylus tested in working order.

The cartridge stylus is slightly bent (see pictures), but this doesn’t affect the performance.

It plays fine and sounds great.

However, playing hours are unknown.

It comes with original box and instructions.

It will be quickly posted via royal mail 1st class.

I'm looking for £45 shipped.

Payment by PayPal gift or Bank Transfer.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Many thanks.
Mauro

http://i66.tinypic.com/14jz1gj.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/241umwk.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/ae0d9j.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2n7ebyo.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/2s6t4j8.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/2cyl9y1.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/2w3dik0.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/258b9g4.jpg

gerlando
13-11-2018, 18:08
Sold.
Many thanks to Tom (Montesquieu).

Tim
13-11-2018, 18:20
Darn it that was quick!

mikeyb
13-11-2018, 20:42
Darn it that was quick!He was in like a Hawk [emoji23]

Nice cart, I have one with a Jico Sas stylus [emoji4]

Tim
13-11-2018, 20:50
Aye, like a speeding bullet :lol:

Used to have one back in the day and thought why not, clearly Tom did too ;)

montesquieu
13-11-2018, 20:52
Aye, like a speeding bullet :lol:

Used to have one back in the day and thought why not, clearly Tom did too ;)

Indeed I did.

Thinking about ordering up a Jico stylus!

struth
13-11-2018, 21:06
Prefer the original stylus to the sas one

mikeyb
13-11-2018, 21:07
Indeed I did.

Thinking about ordering up a Jico stylus!You could borrow mine before buying the SAS if you like just in case you don't like it.

montesquieu
13-11-2018, 21:13
You could borrow mine before buying the SAS if you like just in case you don't like it.

Might well take you up on that Mike. Appreciated.:)

mikeyb
13-11-2018, 21:15
Might well take you up on that Mike. Appreciated.:)I'll get it boxed up next couple of days and get it off to you, I'm away to Wales on Thursday so I'll try and post it on my way or if I have time I'll post it tomorrow.

montesquieu
13-11-2018, 21:17
Awesome Mike! thanks for that.

Wakefield Turntables
13-11-2018, 21:43
You cant buy NeoSAS JICO stylus anymore.

Tim
13-11-2018, 21:45
If you're coming to Wales, drop it off at mine to save you a job, I'll be sure to post it on to Tom for you ;)

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

mikeyb
13-11-2018, 22:57
If you're coming to Wales, drop it off at mine to save you a job, I'll be sure to post it on to Tom for you ;)

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

[emoji23]

Mike Reed
14-11-2018, 07:55
Now this has got me totally baffled, so I'm obviously missing something, Tom. A cart. I used in the sixties and nowhere near the top of the Shure tree (M75 & V15 even then), is snapped up by someone who's probably had more cart's than most from turnover crystal to m/coil exotica !

Funny old game, this analogue retro trend. :)

Andy831
14-11-2018, 08:32
Mike that is a very valid point and probably worth a whole thread on its own. Having been up the tree as far as SPU I too am revisiting cartridges that were on my Dynatron music player that was armed with an SP25mk2 in the late sixties early seventies. :scratch:

montesquieu
14-11-2018, 11:33
Now this has got me totally baffled, so I'm obviously missing something, Tom. A cart. I used in the sixties and nowhere near the top of the Shure tree (M75 & V15 even then), is snapped up by someone who's probably had more cart's than most from turnover crystal to m/coil exotica !

Funny old game, this analogue retro trend. :)

Laugh if you want ... actually I'm not the biggest fan of the V15 (or any of the super-light trackers).

It's about horses for courses. My main rig has top flight MCs yes, and top flight SUTs and arms as well (otherwise you are wasting your money on the cartridge - balance is the key here).

In the study I have a Garrard 401 with an AT1503 Mk1, a broadcast arm, medium to high mass, that sounds phenomenal with a good MM. I used to be MC only but I've since come to appreciate that a quality MM into a high quality arm, on a good turntable, can produce results way more settled and enjoyable than a cheap MC into a middling SUT or MC phono stage. I use a M44/7 for the most part, but I also highly rate the SC35C (and the Tonar Diabolic which is made by Nagaoka and uses the same generator as the Technics 270c).

Also depends what you want - my study system is not about optimizing soundstage or timbre or getting 'everything' to come together, it's about simple enjoyment/boogie factor and not obsessing too much about anything .. yes the speaker positioning is compromised and the whole thing cost me less than one of the cartridges from the front room, but I've got it sounding really musical and enjoyable and it always brings a smile. Of course the main rig is 'better' but it's 'better' at a different thing and I listen to it in a different way.

Barry
14-11-2018, 14:41
The Shure M55E is what became of the original V15. I started my audio career with a Shure M3D (only bought because I couldn't find a dealer to supply me the cartridge I really wanted: a B&O SP6) However within a year I replaced it with the M55E, simply because that was the cartridge that appeared in SME advertisments at the time, and I thought "if it's good enough for SME, then it's good enough for me to use in the SME arm", that had been recently acquired. Probably not the best way to choose a cartridge, but there you go - I was 18 at the time, and knew little about the subject. I did however think the M55E was a significant improvement over the M3D.

The M55E was an original brown-bodied version, and I used it for a couple of years, replacing it with the V15 II (Improved) and then a V15 III. However by this time I was also listening to ADC and Ortofon cartridges, which made me realise that Shure's obsession with trackability almost to the exclusion of all else was not the way to go, I switched allegiance to an ADC 10E IV and an Ortofon SL15E and gave the V15s away.

I still have a couple of M55Es (kept out of nostalgia) and I now have the SP6 I wanted so long ago.

RobbieGong
14-11-2018, 15:01
The Shure M55E is what became of the original V15. I started my audio career with a Shure M3D (only bought because I couldn't find a dealer to supply me the cartridge I really wanted: a B&O SP6) However within a year I replaced it with the M55E, simply because that was the cartridge that appeared in SME advertisments at the time, and I thought "if it's good enough for SME, then it's good enough for me to use in the SME arm", that had been recently acquired. Probably not the best way to choose a cartridge, but there you go - I was 18 at the time, and knew little about the subject. I did however think the M55E was a significant improvement over the M3D.

The M55E was an original brown-bodied version, and I used it for a couple of years, replacing it with the V15 II (Improved) and then a V15 III. However by this time I was also listening to ADC and Ortofon cartridges, which made me realise that Shure's obsession with trackability almost to the exclusion of all else was not the way to go, I switched allegiance to an ADC 10E IV and an Ortofon SL15E and gave the V15s away.

I still have a couple of M55Es (kept out of nostalgia) and I now have the SP6 I wanted so long ago.

Interesting and insightful Barry

Mike Reed
14-11-2018, 16:10
The Shure M55E is what became of the original V15.

Gosh but my memory is shot ! I thought I had the M44 (or another lowly Shure), went to M55E, the M75 E (or EJ), all before '67/'68, then V15 (which might have been the II in '69/'70) on my 3012 /401. I thought this was the Shure order, with an M95E at some stage which I didn't have. Can't understand how an M55 superceded a V15, Barry but I don't know the history.

It was all about 'trackability' then, but I thought all those Shures tracked at low VTFs. I'm not sure whether Shure was the flavour of the later sixties or that I got them and everything else at wholesalers @ 33 1/3% discount plus a bit extra for cash. Those were the days but I was certainly devoid of any real hifi knowledge. It was big DIY Heathkit and Goodmans speakers, Jap. receiver bling and spec's if I remember until the expensive hiatus of quadraphonics and 25% VAT. (1976?)

Marco
14-11-2018, 17:25
Also depends what you want - my study system is not about optimizing soundstage or timbre or getting 'everything' to come together, it's about simple enjoyment/boogie factor and not obsessing too much about anything .. yes the speaker positioning is compromised and the whole thing cost me less than one of the cartridges from the front room, but I've got it sounding really musical and enjoyable and it always brings a smile. Of course the main rig is 'better' but it's 'better' at a different thing and I listen to it in a different way.

I know *exactly* what you mean, and indeed could bore for Britain on the subject!:D

One of the main things is that vintage cartridges, such as the Shure you've bought (I have one too, and they're great), compared with their modern counterparts, are voiced, first and foremost, to play MUSIC, not major on 'hifiisms'!;)

In that respect, since our ears today have gradually become attuned to the voicing of modern equipment, revisiting 'old gems', such as the Shure, can sometimes be a shock (but in a good way)...

Enjoy:cool:

Marco.

Barry
14-11-2018, 21:38
Gosh but my memory is shot ! I thought I had the M44 (or another lowly Shure), went to M55E, the M75 E (or EJ), all before '67/'68, then V15 (which might have been the II in '69/'70) on my 3012 /401. I thought this was the Shure order, with an M95E at some stage which I didn't have. Can't understand how an M55 superceded a V15, Barry but I don't know the history.

Taken from the Steve Hoffmann forum:

The M55E was introduced about the same time as the original V-15 (1964).
It was touted as having the same design (though different in appearance, it
had the same circuit design, compliance rating, elliptical stylus, etc.),
but built under "standard" quality control conditions rather than the
individual testing of the V-15.

High Fidelity reported on it in January 1966. They found that the curves
for frequency response and separation were nearly carbon copies of the
V-15, but with a slightly higher response peak above 10 Khz and slightly
less separation at extremely high frequencies. They concluded:

"Indeed, the sound of the M55E on playback is extremely clean,
well-balanced, well-articulated, and fuly agreeable. It stays with the
most thunderous crescendos and appears capable of presenting the full
signal engraved on a record--including much of the elusive air and space
that are characteristic of good stereo. If the "numbers" indicate a pickup
not quite in the same class as the V-15, judgements based on careful
listening put it very, very close behind."

Looks like I was in error in stating the original V15 became the M55E. Both shared the same design, but the M55E underwent less QC than the V15.

When the V15 II was developed, other models such as the M75E and M95E were introduced to fill in the gap. Later on there were the M91 and M97 series to complicate the 'family tree'.

Mike Reed
14-11-2018, 22:14
Interesting, Barry. Think I went to Decca after V15, but then to Onlife for the crazy quadraphonic period (CD4 specific).

Barry
14-11-2018, 22:25
Interesting, Barry. Think I went to Decca after V15, but then to Onlife for the crazy quadraphonic period (CD4 specific).

I didn't "dabble with Decca" until the late '70s. I have 5 of them now. They are so unique (and cussed) that I always have one set up in one of my decks.

The Onlifes (aka Lowther 'Onlife', as Lowther were the UK importer for Dynavector) passed me by, but I knew someone at work who had one of them with their red transparent cases. By that time (1979) I had discovered EMTs, a German design that had influenced Dr Tominari of Dynavector with his design.

walpurgis
14-11-2018, 23:25
I remember Onlife, recall the products were very expensive. Think I may still have a brochure.

I had a few Shures in the early seventies, but went to Deccas and ADC's shortly after.

I rather liked the Shure M91ED. I gather it was alleged to have the same spec as the M75ED, but always seemed to sound superior to me. I wouldn't mind getting another, with original stylus for old times sake.

Mike Reed
15-11-2018, 08:02
I remember Onlife, recall the products were very expensive. Think I may still have a brochure.

The Onlife cart. I had was the only one available, or in existence, at that time (1976 ish), and I think it must have been a high output m/c, as I very much doubt that my Marantz (oscilloscope) receiver had a m/c input. Can't think it was pricey though; maybe Shure/Decca region?

montesquieu
15-11-2018, 17:40
Just to say the M55E arrived today from Mauro, I put the it on the Garrard/AT1503 and it sounds awesome. Really musical, I think a cut above the M44 I was using. Haven't tried Mike's Jico stylus on it yet but will do tonight. I have Chick Corea's Return to Forever playing right now and it's ace ... nice little end of workday treat.

gerlando
15-11-2018, 18:06
Just to say the M55E arrived today from Mauro, I put the it on the Garrard/AT1503 and it sounds awesome. Really musical, I think a cut above the M44 I was using. Haven't tried Mike's Jico stylus on it yet but will do tonight. I have Chick Corea's Return to Forever playing right now and it's ace ... nice little end of workday treat.

I'm happy you enjoy it.
Unfortunately many Shure cartridges I had and tried have an emphasis on the upper bass region that I don't like.
Probably, just in the V15 series I haven't found that feature.

Barry
15-11-2018, 18:10
Do you still have your M3D Tom? How would you say the M55E compares?

montesquieu
15-11-2018, 18:12
Do you still have your M3D Tom? How would you say the M55E compares?

I don't actually, though I wish I had.

montesquieu
24-11-2018, 16:13
Quick postscript to this thread - first of all thanks to Gerlando, this arrived and has been playing beautifully.

Due to work I only got round today to making a proper comparison to between the vintage M55E stylus and the Jico one owned by Mike.

The Jico is very impressive - the character remains but the refinment is kicked up a significant notch. Detail, ambience, texture ... all significantly improved. Also supremely quiet in the groove. Impressive. Output seems a bit less and I had to reduce the stylus pressure too. Though it sounds just fine on my fairly massy AT-1503 MkI on the Garrard 401.

Definitely need to get on the hunt for one of these but i don't think Jico do them any more?

Seriously impressive and thanks to Mike for letting me have a play.

Wakefield Turntables
24-11-2018, 17:15
Tom, are you looking for then neoSAS JICO replacement for the M55E?

montesquieu
24-11-2018, 17:28
Yes

Simon75
24-11-2018, 17:56
I'm using a m55e with a jico stylus, not the SAS however. From a quick look on the web it looks like the SAS and neo SAS are still available from the USA, priced $200 to $250. The two sites I looked at say they are only for sale in USA and Canada. Would love to have a listen to one but just sticking to buying records at that price.

mikeyb
24-11-2018, 17:58
Quick postscript to this thread - first of all thanks to Gerlando, this arrived and has been playing beautifully.

Due to work I only got round today to making a proper comparison to between the vintage M55E stylus and the Jico one owned by Mike.

The Jico is very impressive - the character remains but the refinment is kicked up a significant notch. Detail, ambience, texture ... all significantly improved. Also supremely quiet in the groove. Impressive. Output seems a bit less and I had to reduce the stylus pressure too. Though it sounds just fine on my fairly massy AT-1503 MkI on the Garrard 401.

Definitely need to get on the hunt for one of these but i don't think Jico do them any more?

Seriously impressive and thanks to Mike for letting me have a play.

No worries, glad you liked it, be interesting to try it with my new phone stage. I'm still on the trail of my final cartridge [emoji6]

Wakefield Turntables
24-11-2018, 20:25
I'm using a m55e with a jico stylus, not the SAS however. From a quick look on the web it looks like the SAS and neo SAS are still available from the USA, priced $200 to $250. The two sites I looked at say they are only for sale in USA and Canada. Would love to have a listen to one but just sticking to buying records at that price.

That's good to hear. I got my neoSAS direct from the JAP? website. Buying from the USA means even more import duty and handling charges, but I think the outlay is worth it.