PDA

View Full Version : No wonder I want to bin the lot !*?!#@!!

mikeyb
10-11-2018, 13:23
Well so far this week ....

1: My Primaluna power amp has gone down it'll be off to the Netherlands next week.

2: My Vivant phono stage has arrived at the buyer with significant hum on one channel.

3: Now my bloody HDPlex Linear PSU has gone down on the 12v output

Jesus F'ing Christ talk about being Sh*t on from a great height arghhhh

Just about ready to bin the F'ing whole lot and give it all up I've just about had enough with HiFi

Bigman80
10-11-2018, 13:27
FFS. That run of luck is nearly as bad as mine.

Sherwood
10-11-2018, 13:28
I sympathise. My 5 year old Baxi central heating boiler went down last week. Needed a new pressure vessel and PCB. I am contesting the invoice but I am being savagely ripped off on both parts and labour!

:steam::steam: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR :steam::steam:

struth
10-11-2018, 13:28
sorry to hear that mike... hopefully it will all be back fixed soon.

mikeyb
10-11-2018, 13:29
FFS. That run of luck is nearly as bad as mine.

yip great innit, I'm just about ready to sell the lot and forget about HiFi all together and just use a set of headphones and my ipad :steam: :lol:

struth
10-11-2018, 13:37
yip great innit, I'm just about ready to sell the lot and forget about HiFi all together and just use a set of headphones and my ipad :steam: :lol:

kinda what i did, although ive got a cheapish system too, but i could live without it as i use cans mostly these days

RobbieGong
10-11-2018, 14:35

1: My Primaluna power amp has gone down it'll be off to the Netherlands next week.

2: My Vivant phono stage has arrived at the buyer with significant hum on one channel.

Just about ready to bin the F'ing whole lot and give it all up I've just about had enough with HiFi

Know exactly how you feel Mike but dont give up, hi-fi in my experience can absolutely break your heart, frustrating the very life out of you and drive you to total despair.

My journey too has been one of a lot of pain.

A continual cycle of one step forward two steps back.

That long lasting trouble free music / system enjoyment aspect I've been pursuing, working and striving to for years, remains ever elusive and has been far more off than on.

Cant even begin to tell you, the journey of woe would easily cover an A4 sheet, some things still remain unresolved and I've been at it a long time.

Like you been pretty close to uncharacteristically exploding, letting it all out and chucking it all in.

Does feel like a mugs game sometimes :rolleyes:

Pigmy Pony
10-11-2018, 14:46
Sorry to hear that Mike, that is a real catalogue of misfortunes. I was going to have a moan about my toaster forgetting to pop up and setting off the smoke alarm, but I won't bother now.

It's like the old saying "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen", and your set up is treating you mean right now. But no doubt you will bounce back. After all, what's the alternative? You're buying all that vinyl for a reason :)

Firebottle
10-11-2018, 14:57

If the buyer would like to get in touch I will get it working again.

Pigmy Pony
10-11-2018, 15:08
See, look at that, I bet you haven't had a message from Primaluna yet... And not a sausage from Breville about my toaster either.

mikeyb
10-11-2018, 15:09
If the buyer would like to get in touch I will get it working again.Hi Alan,

That would be brilliant, I'll let him know, he's still trying to see if he can work out that the problem is in case is to do with his system, it was fine when left here but so I suspect it might have happened in transit.

I'll be in touch [emoji4]

mikeyb
10-11-2018, 15:10
See, look at that, I bet you haven't had a message from Primaluna yet... And not a sausage from Breville about my toaster either.No actually I haven't bloody slow I mean I dropped it off in Edinburgh at the dealers at 9:45 this morning, what's taking them so long [emoji23]

mikeyb
10-11-2018, 15:17
Know exactly how you feel Mike but dont give up, hi-fi in my experience can absolutely break your heart, frustrating the very life out of you and drive you to total despair.

My journey too has been one of a lot of pain.

A continual cycle of one step forward two steps back.

That long lasting trouble free music / system enjoyment aspect I've been pursuing, working and striving to for years, remains ever elusive and has been far more off than on.

Cant even begin to tell you, the journey of woe would easily cover an A4 sheet, some things still remain unresolved and I've been at it a long time.

Like you been pretty close to uncharacteristically exploding, letting it all out and chucking it all in.

Does feel like a mugs game sometimes :rolleyes:Thanks for that, yeah been driving me nuts last couple of years, I'm hot headed in nature and to be honest at times I've felt like just getting rid, I know I won't do that but frustration in all things in life is going to kill me lol.

I'm just waiting on the heart attack, then the ambulance to crash on the way to hospital, only for me to survive then burn to death in the hospital Ward when a short in my iPad charger ignites my oxygen [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Pigmy Pony
10-11-2018, 15:38
That's the spirit! :)

RobbieGong
10-11-2018, 15:52
Thanks for that, yeah been driving me nuts last couple of years, I'm hot headed in nature and to be honest at times I've felt like just getting rid, I know I won't do that but frustration in all things in life is going to kill me lol.

I'm just waiting on the heart attack, then the ambulance to crash on the way to hospital, only for me to survive then burn to death in the hospital Ward when a short in my iPad charger ignites my oxygen [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:lol:

Audio Al
10-11-2018, 15:56

It won't happen , as Arnie said " I'll be back " All part of life's little hickups :)

CageyH
10-11-2018, 16:32
See, look at that, I bet you haven't had a message from Primaluna yet... And not a sausage from Breville about my toaster either.

That is probably why your toaster did not pop up. You are not supposed to cook sausages in them.

On a serious note, the customer support from Mr Firebottle is second to none.

Audio Al
10-11-2018, 16:33
That is probably why your toaster did not pop up. You are not supposed to cook sausages in them.

:D:lol::)

brian2957
10-11-2018, 16:43
Last time I was at yours I thought your system looked fantastic and sounded stunning Mike . Always looking for something better eh ? You're definitely afflicted mate :D Only another sufferer would understand ;)

Pigmy Pony
10-11-2018, 16:45

I bet you could do Lorne sausage in it.

Coincidentally I burned a load of sausages that were under the grill at the same time, and they ended up in the bin. Had to be the worst day of my life.

Puffin
10-11-2018, 17:00
I feel your pain Mike....but we have all been there to a greater of lesser degree than you. I used to obsess over everything hifi and it is at those times that things tend to go pop. Just the other day I changed my speaker cables. The speaks are bi-amped and in a moment of fuckwittedness put one of the LF leads into one of HF posts (the HF have spades so there was a nice little socket waiting for idiocy) Turned on all 300 bits that make up my frankenmess and the sub was motorboating, then there was a very hot smell!!!! Turned everything off like scalded cat with mania, and found that one of LF monoblocks was not liking that wiring arrangement at all:D....me then thinks...fuck...that amp must have had some damage.....

Well...it was all ok and the amp and speakers live. Hope you get your amp sorted in good time.

mikeyb
10-11-2018, 19:15
Last time I was at yours I thought your system looked fantastic and sounded stunning Mike . Always looking for something better eh ? You're definitely afflicted mate :D Only another sufferer would understand ;)Lol at the moment I just want something that works [emoji23]

Bigman80
11-11-2018, 07:50
Patience mate. It's been some time since you first aired a few grumblings about not being entirely happy with the system.

The Primaluna going down is disappointing, especially for what you paid for it. I am sure they will repair it and who knows, whatever you were unhappy with may be gone when it's fully running.

You're now in a position to get a new phonostage which is always exciting and as usual Firebottle is willing to help out and repair the Vivant. Top stuff.

It's not all bad but frustrating. Use this time to find a phonostage mate. It can be there for when the amp gets back.

paulf-2007
11-11-2018, 08:05
A break from cocking your head to one side listening for gods knows what is a good thing. Give it a rest and when you come back it will sound like music playing. I've not been in my listening room for several months due to taking the wife for cancer treatment and other things. I've been listening to music on an iPad with in ear phones, that's the point I'm listening to the music.

mikeyb
11-11-2018, 09:41
Patience mate. It's been some time since you first aired a few grumblings about not being entirely happy with the system.

The Primaluna going down is disappointing, especially for what you paid for it. I am sure they will repair it and who knows, whatever you were unhappy with may be gone when it's fully running.

You're now in a position to get a new phonostage which is always exciting and as usual Firebottle is willing to help out and repair the Vivant. Top stuff.

It's not all bad but frustrating. Use this time to find a phonostage mate. It can be there for when the amp gets back.Busy reading up on phono stages just now, have a short list to try, but one is kinda fav at the moment, luckily can be borrowed locally.

Bigman80
11-11-2018, 09:42
Busy reading up on phono stages just now, have a short list to try, but one is kinda fav at the moment, luckily can be borrowed locally.Good luck mate.

mikeyb
11-11-2018, 09:43
A break from cocking your head to one side listening for gods knows what is a good thing. Give it a rest and when you come back it will sound like music playing. I've not been in my listening room for several months due to taking the wife for cancer treatment and other things. I've been listening to music on an iPad with in ear phones, that's the point I'm listening to the music.Very true and I've little too moan about I know.

Digital side is pretty good, vinyl side is about 95% there and I'm sure it's the right phono stage I need to find that suits me.

mikeyb
11-11-2018, 10:14
Well fek me the 12v output in my PSU was fine this morning, one down two to go [emoji23]

Gazjam
11-11-2018, 10:17

Abso-feckin-lutely.
Buy local.

mikeyb
11-11-2018, 10:20
Thing is I don't know how you get a sausage from a toaster when you've put bread in it.

Magic Toaster ? [emoji23]

Primalsea
11-11-2018, 11:02
Well fek me the 12v output in my PSU was fine this morning, one down two to go [emoji23]

Well that’s something at least. Hopefully just a plug not in fully or something else trivial. When you get your Primaluna going you’ll be back to cooking your sausages over it in no time.

Pigmy Pony
11-11-2018, 11:05
Oh no, I do them separately, the sausages go under the grill - I'm not a moron! And after the sausages caught fire I found I could slice them lengthways and chuck the burnt side in the bin.

I still reckon you could do Lorne (Scottish square) sausage in the toaster though.

mikeyb
11-11-2018, 11:11
Oh no, I do them separately, the sausages go under the grill - I'm not a moron! And after the sausages caught fire I found I could slice them lengthways and chuck the burnt side in the bin.

I still reckon you could do Lorne (Scottish square) sausage in the toaster though.Lorne Sausage Toaster, jeezo I think you might be onto something there, a drip tube that funnels straight into the frying pan for your bacon and eggs, mind, I thought of it first, right [emoji6][emoji23]

mikeyb
11-11-2018, 11:12
Well that’s something at least. Hopefully just a plug not in fully or something else trivial. When you get your Primaluna going you’ll be back to cooking your sausages over it in no time.Yip not sure why it didn't work yesterday, I think I just didn't wait long enough on the streamer booting up ?

AJSki2fly
11-11-2018, 11:19

Sorry to hear that Mike. Don't give up it will hopefully soon be all back and good again and you can enjoy. I had a failure on one of my power amps about 18 months ago which was initially repaired and then started to sound odd and was re-repaired as the original fault on a valve was not noticed and was starting to cause it fail again, then it came back with a low level hum. This was resolved after a couple of months, and I had 3 months of enjoying them both and then a week ago the other power amp lost sound, to say I was frustrated was an understatement, anyway luckily it was just a capacitor on the first stage and I got it repaired within 4 days. So once again I am happily listening to some pleasurable music from my system.

Hopefully you will be back up and running soon.

wee tee cee
11-11-2018, 11:37
Mike,
PM me if you want the valve power amp to tide you over until the prim comes back....

mikeyb
11-11-2018, 11:38
Sorry to hear that Mike. Don't give up it will hopefully soon be all back and good again and you can enjoy. I had a failure on one of my power amps about 18 months ago which was initially repaired and then started to sound odd and was re-repaired as the original fault on a valve was not noticed and was starting to cause it fail again, then it came back with a low level hum. This was resolved after a couple of months, and I had 3 months of enjoying them both and then a week ago the other power amp lost sound, to say I was frustrated was an understatement, anyway luckily it was just a capacitor on the first stage and I got it repaired within 4 days. So once again I am happily listening to some pleasurable music from my system.

Hopefully you will be back up and running soon.Yeah it's a pain, no real worry though as the amp is still under warranty [emoji4]

Using a Rotel RA 921 in the meantime so I'm not exactly suffering, just a bad time to be sending anything abroad for repair with Christmas coming up [emoji6]

mikeyb
11-11-2018, 11:39
Mike,
PM me if you want the valve power amp to tide you over until the prim comes back....Thanks for the offer, it's cool just now with the Rotel, it sounds not too bad for emergency use.

AJSki2fly
11-11-2018, 11:47
Yeah it's a pain, no real worry though as the amp is still under warranty [emoji4]

Using a Rotel RA 921 in the meantime so I'm not exactly suffering, just a bad time to be sending anything abroad for repair with Christmas coming up [emoji6]

Yep I know, I purchased Marantz 40SE as backup about a year ago, its OK but but after about 4 months was feed up with the thin sound compared to my valve amps. But then it only cost me £60.

One good thing is when you are up and running again you will appreciate how good it is. :)

Pharos
11-11-2018, 11:58
It is our reactions to these events which makes them so hard to deal with, and from TA in the 70s I quote;

"It is in the nature of the (inner) child to mistake disappointment for disaster"

In September I was diagnosed with four fairly serious illnesses, and was in shock for a month, and rather grouchy, but have calmed down now.

Sometimes we can accept things cerebrally and just do what is needed to correct the situation, other times we go into extreme reactions.

Spectral Morn
11-11-2018, 12:21
I hope you make a full recovery Dennis, same for Paul's wife.

paulf-2007
11-11-2018, 14:40
Thanks Neill, the best we can hope for is keeping it under control which so far it is and the consultant said its improved. It's not something they can eliminate. I have a friend who is terminal so we have to be thankful.

Gazjam
11-11-2018, 15:29
Mike,
PM me if you want the valve power amp to tide you over until the prim comes back....

:thumbsup: