PDA

View Full Version : Monmouthshire/Herefordshire Mini Bake off 2/12/18

bazza1969
10-11-2018, 11:51
Small gathering at my house in Pencraig, in-between Ross-On-Wye and Monmouth.
I've recently moved here so the more local the better, limited capacity so first come first reserved, PM me.

Primarily Pre-amps but anything else most welcome (My pre-amp has a very good phono stage if anyone wants to bring a turntable,
spare speaker stands to use too) Feel free to bring CD's or USB.

Sunday 2nd December anytime from 11am to 5ish, drinks will be provided, bring your own lunch if coming early.

Audio Al
10-11-2018, 16:32
Well done that man and hope it works out for you :), Sadly I am in London :(

Stryder5
10-11-2018, 16:51
I'm in, I can bring Firebottle phono pre amp OTP3 prototype.

Gary

bazza1969
10-11-2018, 17:07
I'm in, I can bring Firebottle phono pre amp OTP3 prototype.

Gary

Hi Gary
Thats great!
If its phono only we will need a Turntable, I recently sold my Thorens! :rolleyes:
I mentioned the 'very good phono stage' in case anyone wanted to bring a turntable.

(Thanks Audio Al)

Gaz
12-11-2018, 12:07
Well done for arranging this Barry, unfortunately I'm on night shifts that weekend so can't make but hope it goes well

bazza1969
12-11-2018, 17:46
Well done for arranging this Barry, unfortunately I'm on night shifts that weekend so can't make but hope it goes well

Hi Gary, thanks.
I work from home so feel free to text/ring me and come round some other time.

Stryder5
19-11-2018, 09:03
Hi Gary
Thats great!
If its phono only we will need a Turntable, I recently sold my Thorens! :rolleyes:
I mentioned the 'very good phono stage' in case anyone wanted to bring a turntable.

(Thanks Audio Al)

I now have a Chinese RVC with std and modified output plus a Tisbury Passive to bring.

Gary

bazza1969
19-11-2018, 18:38
I now have a Chinese RVC with std and modified output plus a Tisbury Passive to bring.

Gary

Hi Gary
Brilliant!! Thank you, glad you're still on board to come along, I will PM you.
Cheers Barry

Gaz
06-12-2018, 22:44
How did it go guys?

The Alchemist
10-12-2018, 14:52
Hi Gary, have just found your post. Shame you couldn't make it. Another Gary (Stryder5) was due to come but was unfortunately laid low after a flu jab so it turned out to be a very mini bake off! First of all I had a listen to Barry's Isobariks. Barry has quite a large listening room and I was impressed with their room filling abilities but compared to my speakers I felt that they lacked a little precision and did not image as well. Granted my room is very different and I am listening in "near field" conditions. The "sweet spot" is very sweet but very narrow. If I move my head 6 inches either way the headphone effect goes. We then hooked up my IPL S2 Tlm transmission lines. We didn't have time to play about with the optimum positioning but Barry was kind enough to say that he liked them. All of Ivan Leslie's transmission line speakers have the same sound qualities but in Barry's room I think I would choose the next size up. I had not met Barry before but he was a perfect host and I had very enjoyable trip to Monmouth. Thanks Barry!

bazza1969
11-12-2018, 19:51
Thanks Richard aka ‘The Alchemist’ for your kind post. It was a great Mini bake off, good to be able to focus on the speakers with time to listen to many different genres of each of our own music. Thank you again for bringing your speakers (from Cardiff), top man!

Richards transmission line speakers (Hand made by himself) were particularly good quality both musically and of construction. Superb accurate definition, lovely warm & smooth treble/mid and perfect substantial bass even in my big room.
Whilst the Transmission lines can produce that very high quality (narrow) ‘sweet spot imaging’ I do prefer the larger sound stage & big three dimensional sound that only Isobarik’s can produce ;)