PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Fireworks !!!!!!!

Audio Al
07-11-2018, 19:32
:steam:

It was on the 5th ? , Why a week before and so far 2 days after it's madness :steam:

mikeyb
07-11-2018, 19:33
:steam:

It was on the 5th ? , Why a week before and so far 2 days after it's madness :steam:It's cos the supermarkets have them on special offer [emoji6]

walpurgis
07-11-2018, 19:41
It's mayhem here, the racket is enormous. Indians doing their Diwali thing. The poor new pooch is not happy at all. They should ban noisy fireworks!!

mad-moon
07-11-2018, 20:04
the sale of fireworks to the public should be banned ....I don't want to sound a kill joy...the only fireworks that should be seen, should be organised events with all the safety precautions in place...the fireworks at organised events are superb, compared to all the rubbish you can buy in corner shops and supermarkets..

struth
07-11-2018, 20:06
+1

Marco
07-11-2018, 21:51
+2.

However, it's silence here. You guys should move to North Wales!;)

Marco.

Gaz
07-11-2018, 22:12
+2.

Marco.

Same here.

Really don't miss the city

Marco
07-11-2018, 22:20
I wouldn't live in London if you paid me!!:nono:

Marco.

WESTLOWER
07-11-2018, 22:50

Marco.
Yes I suppose it’s a age thang, tired of London, Tired!...:ner:

RobbieGong
07-11-2018, 22:51

Marco.

Is that a promise :lol: We wouldnt have ya, get out of here !! :ner: :D

RobbieGong
07-11-2018, 22:53
+2.

Marco.

Er no, that's where you reside..... :lol: :sofa:

walpurgis
07-11-2018, 22:58
They're still at it. Fireworks crashing, banging and crackling.

Marco
07-11-2018, 23:05
Is that a promise :lol: We wouldnt have ya, get out of here !! :ner: :D

Lol - ok to visit, but not to live. And I ain't old either (@Adam):booty:

Marco.

Marco
07-11-2018, 23:06
They're still at it. Fireworks crashing, banging and crackling.

Ram a few rockets up their arses!

Marco.

WESTLOWER
07-11-2018, 23:15
Lol - ok to visit, but not to live. And I ain't old either (@Adam):
Marco.

Apologies Marco, those Avatar pics can be a bit deceiving!! :flasher:

Marco
07-11-2018, 23:18
Lol - I don't think I look old in my avatar pic. How old are you?:D

Marco.

WESTLOWER
08-11-2018, 00:42

Marco.

Just joshing... you look great for 92..! :D

Audio Al
08-11-2018, 04:00

Marco.

Marco , On the subject of avatar photos , I thought you were out of prison now ?

Pigmy Pony
08-11-2018, 07:35

Marco.

No, you do look well cared-for. And it looks much nicer than the open prisons up here.

Pigmy Pony
08-11-2018, 07:39
+2.

Marco.

Llanpweliogkcidfghdbdwjfjfgnfjvfjbewfengogogochfaw kes.

That's Welsh for fireworks. No one can ask for them cos no one can say it. :D

Marco
08-11-2018, 08:28
No, you do look well cared-for. And it looks much nicer than the open prisons up here.

Haha, you guys! Hopefully they'll let me out for Christmas... I woz set up by some bad boys; it defo wasn't me who planted that spy-cam in the ladies loos at Tesco, honest:o

The pic in question was taken after climbing the Dom cathedral in Cologne last year. Check the following link for some relevant info, and how many steps are involved: http://www.thecosytraveller.co.uk/2015/02/climbing-cologne-cathedral-almost-dying-process/

I'm reasonably fit, as I walk at least 5 miles a day, so it took me rather less than 30 minutes. Oh, and we (Del was with me) did it in August in the searing heat! It's quite a climb, though. Amazing view from the top:eek::)

Marco.

walpurgis
08-11-2018, 09:04
I was up at 4am to let the poor pooch out for a piss and there was still the odd firework going off. She'd still been too scared to go outside when I went to bed at around 1am.

With the amount of noise last night, I could have been roaming the streets with a gun picking off the scumbags and nobody would have noticed.

Marco
08-11-2018, 09:08
Lol... One to bear in mind for next year!:guns:

4am? Bloody hell. Now you know why I don't have a dog. If it woke me up at that ungodly hour, *it* would be the one getting shot!!:eek:;)

Marco.

walpurgis
08-11-2018, 09:18
4am? Bloody hell. Now you know why I don't have a dog. If it woke me up at that ungodly hour, *it* would be the one getting shot!!:eek:;)

Marco.

Not the dog's fault mate. It was a boom from a firework that woke me up. As the mutt had not 'been' for about twelve hours I took her outside to relieve herself.

Marco
08-11-2018, 09:20
Ah I see... Poor wee thing. The clowns who let off fireworks at that time in the morning are the ones who should've been shot then! Selfish, inconsiderate bastards:steam::steam:

Marco.

walpurgis
08-11-2018, 17:29
It's starting all over again. Loads of bangs and booms. Using them again today just for 'fun' is not legal as it would be classed as antisocial use.

Audio Al
08-11-2018, 17:56
Fingers crossed it seems quiet here ATM :rolleyes:

Pigmy Pony
08-11-2018, 18:27
The bangs are bad enough, but it's the whistling ones that really wind me up. What is the point of them? Saturday was the worst evening here - Alice went out for a slash about 7 and didn't come home until about 1am. First time she's been out for that long. Probably cowering somewhere.

People wishing to buy fireworks (or intending to start a family) should first be made to apply for a licence. Which will be granted upon satisfactory completion of an IQ test. If applicant scores below a predetermined amount, no fireworks and definitely no kids.

Offenders will have a Roman Candle or Catherine Wheel (their choice) attached to their man bits/ladygarden. And posted on You Tube.

prestonchipfryer
08-11-2018, 20:25
The bangs are bad enough, but it's the whistling ones that really wind me up. What is the point of them? Saturday was the worst evening here - Alice went out for a slash about 7 and didn't come home until about 1am. First time she's been out for that long. Probably cowering somewhere.

People wishing to buy fireworks (or intending to start a family) should first be made to apply for a licence. Which will be granted upon satisfactory completion of an IQ test. If applicant scores below a predetermined amount, no fireworks and definitely no kids.

Offenders will have a Roman Candle or Catherine Wheel (their choice) attached to their man bits/ladygarden. And posted on You Tube.

That is, without doubt, a very good and sensible idea.:)

struth
08-11-2018, 20:27
Was noisy on 4th and very on 5th. But nowt here since fortunately. Makes a change

Marco
08-11-2018, 21:10

Your cat, I presume?:)

In the wintertime we don't let ours out after 6pm, and not at all on bonfire night, for the reasons you describe. If they need a pish, they can use one of the litter trays.

I'll buy that!:D

More seriously though, it always amazes me how selfish and inconsiderate some folk are. When I was a kid, I was only allowed to have a small amount of fireworks in the back garden, which my dad was in charge of. Once they were done, it was back inside, not wandering around the place causing explosions in the neighbourhood all night!

And as an adult (or parent), I wouldn't dream of setting off fireworks in a housing estate, or anywhere near where lots of people live, after 10pm in the evening, max! What's happened today to the common courtesy and consideration I was brought up with to show towards others?

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
08-11-2018, 22:43
Your cat, I presume?:)

In the wintertime we don't let ours out after 6pm, and not at all on bonfire night, for the reasons you describe. If they need a pish, they can use one of the litter trays.

I'll buy that!:D

More seriously though, it always amazes me how selfish and inconsiderate some folk are. When I was a kid, I was only allowed to have a small amount of fireworks in the back garden, which my dad was in charge of. Once they were done, it was back inside, not wandering around the place causing explosions in the neighbourhood all night!

And as an adult, I wouldn't dream of setting off fireworks in a housing estate, or anywhere near where lots of people live, after 10pm in the evening, max! What's happened today to the common courtesy and consideration I was brought up with to show towards others?

Marco.

They went on a long holiday with their old mates accountability and discipline. And it doesn't look like they're coming back.

Marco
08-11-2018, 22:47
Ha - did they take me old mucker 'respect' with them, too?;)

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
08-11-2018, 22:54
Ha - did they take me old mucker 'respect' with them, too?;)

Marco.

Yes they did, and it's the only one to return. Unfortunately, the hoodies met it at the airport, took the 't' off the end and kept it for their own use. Us regular folk don't get a look in. :(

Joe
09-11-2018, 09:22

Didn't you recently mention posting a firework through someone's letterbox when you were a nipper?

We seem to have been reasonably firework-free this year round our way. Not too many, and they finished around 8.30. No trick-or-treaters at Halloween either, though that may be because we kept the lights off and stayed at the back of the house.

Marco
09-11-2018, 09:41
Didn't you recently mention posting a firework through someone's letterbox when you were a nipper?

Lol, yes. But it wasn't when I was a nipper; it was when I was 15. When my dad found out (as unfortunately the person concerned was a customer in his chip shop and had seen me do it), I was belted so hard that I never did it again!!

A lot of parents these days simply don't give a damn what their 'little darlings' get up to when they're out - and that's half the problem with what the likes of Geoff is experiencing (and also currently many other issues in society). That, and the fact that newsagents and other small shops selling fireworks, in local communities, often don't care who they sell them to (underage or not)!!:doh:

As has already been said, I'd ban the whole lot for use by the general public and restrict it solely to organised professional displays.

Marco.

struth
09-11-2018, 09:48
vandal;) my mother would have crucified me :lol: she did the beatings. dad just scowled, which was far worse:D

walpurgis
09-11-2018, 09:57
Lol, yes. But it wasn't when I was a nipper; it was when I was 15. When my dad found out (as unfortunately the person concerned was a customer in his chip shop and had seen me do it), I was belted so hard that I never did it again!!

Marco.

Hmm. Very reminiscent :). I was in endless scrapes with subsequent thrashings as a youngster.

Gaz
09-11-2018, 12:59

In many cases people with high IQs have no common sense whatsoever.

When I was a teenager one of my friends had (probably still does have) a phenomenal IQ, a group of us borrowed a small marquee and went camping, we had two paraffin lamps tied to the centre pole on the tent one of which somehow flared up and set fire to the rope and the pole, it had (apparently) been burning for some time before somebody spotted it and after a brief panic the fire was extinguished, the guy with the massive IQ then announced that he had been watching the fire for some time and had been trying to calculate whether the rope would burn through before the canvas caught fire :doh:

Pigmy Pony
09-11-2018, 15:36
Sounds more like your friends big brain was enjoying some psychoactive fun. That's what our teenage camping out was like. On one such night one of my mates (also normally quite brainy) spent the late hours conjuring up images from the flame of a large candle. And woke up with half his hair gone and the other half matted with candle wax.

Even by seventies standards that hairstyle was bad.

walpurgis
09-11-2018, 21:29
They're obviously not done yet, loads more bangs and booms tonight.

Audio Al
09-11-2018, 23:42
They're obviously not done yet, loads more bangs and booms tonight.

Same here , It seems they were waiting for the weekend :rolleyes:

Pete The Cat
10-11-2018, 07:38
Last Sunday they started at 4pm - it was broad daylight !?# Completely inconsiderate to the many domestic animals. They were going on again last night (9th).

We have a disco CD on constant rotation in the kitchen where the cat hangs out, to mask the sound. She's as fed up with "Funkytown" as I am now.

Pete

struth
10-11-2018, 09:06
My neighbour had a party last night with fireworks.. in defence he told me first, and invited me over, as we are mates. i declined as i find them bloody pointless but aided the party by giving him the use of my extension cable and power outlet. (big of me ;)) it was noisy at times but at least didnt go on all night.

Marco
10-11-2018, 09:28
That's a different ball game. He had the manners to consult you first and let you know what was happening, and he's a mate. That's the proper way to behave. He didn't just inconsiderately start a rowdy party, or set off fireworks in the middle of the night without your knowledge, and wake you up.

People have to understand that they're sharing the same space with others, who have lives too, and which may differ from yours, so you if live in the same vicinity, you have to consider what impact your actions may have on them, not just rudely and disrespectfully do what they hell you like, when you feel like it, with no consideration for anyone else:rolleyes:

Marco.

walpurgis
10-11-2018, 18:19
Another night of bangs and booms. You'd think the dozy buggers would knock it on the head seeing as it's pouring with rain.

struth
10-11-2018, 18:48
All quiet here; for now anyway

Marco
10-11-2018, 19:31
It's been quiet here since the 6th, and even the night before, there was only the odd pop and bang, nothing to write home about.... My arse makes more noise!:D

Marco.

Audio Al
11-11-2018, 23:37
Kicked off big time again here at 22.00 :rolleyes:

Marco
12-11-2018, 08:16
All the idiots seem to be down south...;)

Marco.

struth
12-11-2018, 08:48
dan sath

Marco
12-11-2018, 09:01
sarf... And they can all stay down there, too!;)

It's absolutely ridiculous that a WEEK after bonfire night, they're still letting off bloody fireworks. I'd bring out a law that anyone caught doing so after 5th November (or before 4th November) is fined £1000, on the spot. And if they're under 18, it's their (most likely couldn't give a damn) parents who'd be liable!

Marco.

walpurgis
17-11-2018, 21:38
Still got fireworks going off all round all evening so far. Bloody morons. :guns:

walpurgis
18-11-2018, 15:23
Yup, loads more fireworks going off this afternoon. The Indians have some sort of shindig going on up the road at their temple. Loads of amplified jabbering and drum beating coming from there too. Dunno why they think everybody in town should have to listen to it.

Marco
18-11-2018, 15:54
Selfish c*nts! Absolutely ZERO consideration for anyone else. That sort of mentality boils my piss. Pray for torrential rain later!!;)

Marco.

walpurgis
23-11-2018, 20:14
More fireworks yet again, all evening so far. That's about a month this has been going on nearly every night.

walpurgis
26-10-2019, 21:36
It's that time of year again. There have been non-stop loud firework explosions all round this evening and the poor pooch is scared and distressed. God knows what it's going to be like tomorrow night for the main event, it was devastatingly noisy last year until well after midnight!

Barry
26-10-2019, 21:55
Nothing here in NW6. It's been 'mizzling' with rain for most of the day, and although it has cleared up now, it's probably dampened the high spirits.

Expected to be much better tomorrow, so will probably see and hear the celebrations in the evening.

Marco
27-10-2019, 07:16
Is it that Diwali pish again?:doh:

Thank fook we're 100s of miles away, as we couldn't be doing with it. Wonder if there are such things as earplugs for dogs?

Marco.

struth
27-10-2019, 08:24
put hifi on loud

walpurgis
27-10-2019, 15:59
The morons have started with their Diwali fireworks already and it's not even dark. It'll get steadily noisier until it becomes deafening and carry on all evening until about 1am. They show no consideration for anybody.

struth
27-10-2019, 16:02
dont think ive heard any this year.. must all be skint

Audio Al
27-10-2019, 23:22
Had a few here but not epedemic proportions ( Yet ) :)

walpurgis
27-10-2019, 23:55
Had a few here but not epedemic proportions ( Yet ) :)

It's just slowing a bit now, still bloody noisy though and the dog's too scared to go out for a long overdue piss.

Marco
28-10-2019, 12:00
I'd love to use one of those huge water cannons, the Police have for breaking up riots, and give the noisy, inconsiderate fuckers and their fireworks a total soaking... That would soon put a stop to their 'revelry'!

What time of night is the noise they're making going on until, Geoff? Besides, I thought it was illegal to make that sort of a racket after 11pm?:hmm:

Marco.

Joe
28-10-2019, 13:04
The morons have started with their Diwali fireworks already and it's not even dark. It'll get steadily noisier until it becomes deafening and carry on all evening until about 1am. They show no consideration for anybody.

Do they post them through people's letterboxes?

montesquieu
28-10-2019, 13:35
dont think ive heard any this year.. must all be skint

Didn't know Diwali was a big thing in West Lothian? :)

WESTLOWER
28-10-2019, 13:45
hardly a big deal! :rolleyes: (unless you are a hound!)
Why not look out the window and enjoy 'em !;)

struth
28-10-2019, 13:53
Didn't know Diwali was a big thing in West Lothian? :)

was a thinkin' halloween/guy fawkes etc.. usually they are fired off here for a month before and a few weeks after. not heard any this year.

Edward
28-10-2019, 14:54
I was driving last night and a rear passenger had left the window open just when a huge firework near by spooked the life out of me. Thought the engine had blown up or something.

Bloody rear passengers! :eyebrows: :lol:

walpurgis
28-10-2019, 17:45
I'd love to use one of those huge water cannons, the Police have for breaking up riots, and give the noisy, inconsiderate fuckers and their fireworks a total soaking... That would soon put a stop to their 'revelry'!

What time of night is the noise they're making going on until, Geoff? Besides, I thought it was illegal to make that sort of a racket after 11pm?:hmm:

Marco.

I'd prefer real artillery actually.

The racket went on into the small hours, I was asleep before it stopped (if it did).

It is illegal to let off fireworks after 11pm most of the time, but I believe the rules are different for particular occasions. Not sure why Diwali has become an 'occasion' in this country though, I don't recall being asked if I liked the idea.

There have been sporadic bangs and booms all day here and they are again increasing as evening approaches.

walpurgis
28-10-2019, 17:47
hardly a big deal! :rolleyes: (unless you are a hound!)
Why not look out the window and enjoy 'em !;)

You've obviously not been here on the occasion :rolleyes:. The racket is unbelievable and quite ridiculous.

walpurgis
28-10-2019, 17:48
Do they post them through people's letterboxes?

I think it's illegal to mail them. :)

Marco
28-10-2019, 18:58
The racket went on into the small hours, I was asleep before it stopped (if it did).

It is illegal to let off fireworks after 11pm most of the time, but I believe the rules are different for particular occasions. Not sure why Diwali has become an 'occasion' in this country though, I don't recall being asked if I liked the idea.

Bastids... They've got no right to turn parts of this country, for days on end, into some sort of 'inner-sanctum' for their culture/beliefs, with no thought for anything else.

They should show more consideration for others, respect where they are, and that not everyone will share their beliefs or mindset, far less wish to celebrate them to the extent that pets are frightened by the noise, and folks can't get to sleep at night!:rolleyes:

Marco.

struth
29-10-2019, 19:44
Fireworks going off tonight.

Marco
29-10-2019, 19:51
Silent as a grave here [bar my botty-burps]...

Marco.

Audio Al
30-10-2019, 03:08
No F works here either , Oh hold on its 3.07 am :D

walpurgis
03-11-2019, 06:35
Fireworks banging and booming at 5.45am here. What's that all about? :rolleyes:

The sooner they ban noisy ones, the better.

Marco
03-11-2019, 07:14
The sooner they ban the whole fucking lot, the better.

Fixed...;)

Lots of bangs here too last night, but only up until 9pm. After that, silence. if I caught anyone here letting off fireworks at 5.45am, it would be the last ones they'd light!!

Marco.

Audio Al
03-11-2019, 07:50
It is nearly the 5th , I can tolerate a week of fireworks but thats it
I must admit it nowhere near as bad as it used to be in years gone buy

Marco
03-11-2019, 08:19
Yes, but people should have some consideration and respect for others, and only set them off at reasonable times - not when other folk are in bed!!:rolleyes:

Or in your case, up doing <whatever>:D

Marco.

hifilover
03-11-2019, 12:52
It was all go here until about 9pm and then silent. The villages numerous bonfires and firework displays will have been last night, there’ll be a few on Tuesday but that’s about it.

It bores me now and the displays are that packed it’s better to sit in the pub where it’s quiet ;)

Marco
03-11-2019, 12:58
Nothing wrong with bonfires or fireworks at this time of year, but they should always be used considerately - and RESPONSIBLY.

In 20 years of living where we are, we've never had a problem, and there are young families with kids all around. Quite simply, they know when is an appropriate time to have their fun, and when to put an end to it - and that's exactly how it should be in a civilised society!:)

Btw, nice to see you around again, Dan! Hope you're well:cool:

Marco.

hifilover
03-11-2019, 13:04
Nothing wrong with bonfires or fireworks at this time of year, but they should always be used considerately - and RESPONSIBLY.

In 20 years of living where we are, we've never had a problem, and there are young families with kids all around. Quite simply, they know when is an appropriate time to have their fun, and when to put an end to it - and that's exactly how it should be in a civilised society!:)

Btw, nice to see you around again, Dan! Hope you're well:cool:

Marco.

Same where we are now pal... However where we used to live, 500 yds away as the crow flies, the neighbours were arseholes & they got told a number of times until one evening I put my head through their new fence to explain my point... Thankfully we moved the following March :rolleyes:

Alls well thanks Marco... Been one of those years mind

Marco
03-11-2019, 14:43
Same where we are now pal... However where we used to live, 500 yds away as the crow flies, the neighbours were arseholes & they got told a number of times until one evening I put my head through their new fence to explain my point...

Lol - and quite right, too... For some folk, manners don't come naturally, so they need taught them!!;)

Glad all is well, and hope you haven't been through anything too traumatic this year.

Marco.

hifilover
03-11-2019, 15:03
Lol - and quite right, too... For some folk, manners don't come naturally, so they need taught them!!;)

Glad all is well, and hope you haven't been through anything too traumatic this year.

Marco.

Actually and unfortunately quite a bit pal. But it's done and its time to look forward... Onwards and upwards

Even better when slurping Ardbeg ;)

walpurgis
03-11-2019, 20:42
There were fireworks intermittently throughout yesterday, but today it's been a steady series of bangs and booms all day long.

Around here, fireworks are let off regularly from the third week of October, until the second week of November.

And of course any 'occasion' is also used as an excuse, so it happens all year sporadically.

hifinutt
03-11-2019, 22:43
We managed a quick bonfire tonight but had to be quick as neighbours are on last chance saloon with bonfires , the council have threatened legal action as they have ha d so many !!

Pigmy Pony
04-11-2019, 06:43
We managed a quick bonfire tonight but had to be quick as neighbours are on last chance saloon with bonfires , the council have threatened legal action as they have ha d so many !!

You and your neighbours should club together for one massive bonfire, and when Council come round wanting to know who is responsible you can all do the Spartacus thing :)

Audio Al
04-11-2019, 06:49
No fireworks here between midnight and now , can't see what all the fuss is about :D

Marco
04-11-2019, 08:13
Hi Phil,

What on earth is their obsession with bonfires?:scratch:

Tossers needs a slap!

Marco.

walpurgis
04-11-2019, 09:39
No fireworks here between midnight and now , can't see what all the fuss is about :D

No doubt it's quieter where you are Al.

Here, on Diwali in particular, the racket is so loud and intense that you can't even hear the TV properly, let alone use the Hi-Fi and it goes on for many hours. And then there's the poor terrified pooch that hides under the furniture trembling.

tapid
04-11-2019, 11:45
Here in posh Hampstead we would never tolerate such an abomination as irregular firework displays. Naomi and Fiona up the road from mums net would stop such goings on forthwith !
No actually there are a few biffs and bangs late at night but nothing to get too fussed about.

Pigmy Pony
04-11-2019, 16:52
No doubt it's quieter where you are Al.

Here, on Diwali in particular, the racket is so loud and intense that you can't even hear the TV properly, let alone use the Hi-Fi and it goes on for many hours. And then there's the poor terrified pooch that hides under the furniture trembling.

I suppose it's something you just have to put up with, as according to Big Book of Correct Thinking, not accepting all that crap without complaint is racist :(

Roy S
04-11-2019, 19:39
'When fireworks go wrong', one of the larger roman candle type fireworks fell over (I'm the shadowy figure over the back, I decided quite late on it might be wise to move)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ABoFh2Fu_I&feature=youtu.be

Marco
04-11-2019, 19:54
I suppose it's something you just have to put up with, as according to Big Book of Correct Thinking, not accepting all that crap without complaint is racist :(

Bollox... Quite simply, they [regardless of who they are or where they've come from] shouldn't be allowed to turn huge parts of UK cities into 'mini ghettos/shrines' to their own country's culture! Too much of that is being allowed to happen here, just because our authorities are too afraid to fight it and be shown the 'racist' card:rolleyes:

I wouldn't go and live in Africa, Pakistan, India or wherever, and run roughshod over their way of living, intimidating natives of those countries in the process, by ramming my culture down their throats, just because I think that I have some sort of 'right'. And if I did, I'd expect to be suitably punished!

It's like the old saying goes, when going to live in a new country or visit there on holiday: do as the locals do, and respect the culture and way of living of the country you're in. That's what all 'foreigners' here should be forced to do. End of. But instead, we pander to their nonsense, for fear of the repercussions of standing against it, and pay the inevitable price...:doh:

Marco.

Pigmy Pony
04-11-2019, 20:15
I believe there are plans in Birmingham to include educating our children about the diversity of gender in modern Britain, including same sex marriages is being heavily resisted by a certain ethnic group as it doesn't fit with their world view. I consider myself a tolerant person who takes people as he finds them, and it's only fair that these people show the same kind of tolerance too.

I feel like I've walked into a large cinema theatre which is completely empty, done a huge smelly fart just before someone comes in and of all the seats he could sit in chooses the one next to me then complains loudly about the smell :(

struth
04-11-2019, 20:27
One of Scotlands advantages is its not popular with minorities like the big cities down south.
Probably a mix of things.
But yes if you start giving up too many parts of your countries culture just to suit a minority the minority soon have too much of their own way and the majority gets pissed off, quite rightly.
This ends badly

tapid
04-11-2019, 20:31
One of Scotlands advantages is its not popular with minorities like the big cities down south.
Probably a mix of things.
But yes if you start giving up too many parts of your countries culture just to suit a minority the minority soon have too much of their own way and the majority gets pissed off, quite rightly.
This ends badly
And we know why.. too bloody cold mate :lol:

struth
04-11-2019, 20:43
And we know why.. too bloody cold mate [emoji38]Might be a reason [emoji23]

Audio Al
05-11-2019, 16:04
Geoff Geoff Geoff

Are you awake ?

Don't want you to miss the fireworks :lol: Enjoy mate :lol:

Audio Al
05-11-2019, 16:04
Geoff Geoff Geoff

Are you awake ?

Don't want you to miss the fireworks :lol: Enjoy mate :D

struth
05-11-2019, 16:09
imagine there will be some tonight... been quite a quiet year tho

walpurgis
05-11-2019, 16:22
Geoff Geoff Geoff

Are you awake ?

Don't want you to miss the fireworks :lol: Enjoy mate :D

Bog off!! ;)

Marco
05-11-2019, 16:57
So far, complete silence here, but I'd expect that to change around 8pm...

Marco.

hifi_dave
05-11-2019, 16:59
Being out in the sticks, we get very little in the way of fireworks. There is a public display on Saffron Walden Common but too far away to be audible and the Royal Engineers a mile or so up the road usually have a very impressive show. They probably make their own.

walpurgis
05-11-2019, 17:14
It's actually uncharacteristically quiet here, that may change I suspect.

archiesdad
05-11-2019, 20:15
We've been hearing them since last weekend, anytime after dusk to about midnight, I only hope that when the rocket remains land it's on the roof of their car etc, pity it's dry here tonight after all the non stop rain we've had for days.

struth
05-11-2019, 20:17
Been banging all night [emoji23]

rmcin626
05-11-2019, 20:23

Same here, there is an organized display over at the community centre which is only a couple of hundred yards away.

Audio Al
05-11-2019, 22:02

:eek: Thought you were past that now Grant :D

struth
05-11-2019, 22:14
:eek: Thought you were past that now Grant :DLife in the old dog yet

Marco
05-11-2019, 23:13
Total non-event... A few light pops and bangs for about an hour, around 7pm, and then it died a death. Result!:)

Folks know how to behave around here;)

Marco.

walpurgis
09-11-2019, 20:46
More fireworks banging and booming tonight, goodness knows why. Hope they run out soon.

Barry
09-11-2019, 20:55
More fireworks banging and booming tonight, goodness knows why. Hope they run out soon.

Because it's a Saturday. There have been a few banging and fizzing around here, but not too much. Raining now, so that will put and end to what little fireworks there have been.

walpurgis
12-11-2019, 19:34
Yet another evening of constant firework racket all round. The Indians have got some sort of shindig going on. They've also been jamming all the local streets up with their cars all day. We've had to put up with this crap every day since mid October to a greater or lesser degree.

struth
12-11-2019, 19:43
Something needs done about that shit

Marco
12-11-2019, 19:47
There's nothing wrong with shindigs, but why can't they keep their celebrations to within the confines of their own houses or gardens - and if it's noisy, then only during sensibles times of the day or night?

It's FORCING you to hear their celebrations and indirectly involving you in them, whether you want to be or not, that is so selfish, inconsiderate and out of order! I wonder how they'd feel if you held a noisy, drunken birthday party, right outside of their front door, for hours on end, continuing until the early hours of the morning, and would they just sit there and suffer it...???

:wanker::wanker:

Marco.

montesquieu
12-11-2019, 20:01
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kartik_Purnima

Big festival for both Hindus and Sikhs - for Sikhs it's the 550th anniversary of the birth of the religion's founder, quite a big deal really.

I would have thought living in Southall you might be used to this sort of thing by now? I'm sure it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

walpurgis
12-11-2019, 20:16
Unfortunately it gets worse each year!

Marco
12-11-2019, 20:17
The point is, Tom, Geoff or anyone else living in that area, shouldn't require to have to "get used to" listening to a constant din, because some religious celebration or other is taking place, which has nothing to do with their culture, and that they aren't the slightest bit interested in!:doh:

They're entitled instead to some peace and quiet of an evening.

Southall, or anywhere else in the UK for that matter, shouldn't have been allowed to have been turned into a ghetto for Hindus and Sikhs to completely take over and practice their religious beliefs, to the detriment of others. This is the UK, not Pakistan or India.

Fair enough, they can celebrate their beliefs, as is only right, but keep it confined to private areas where it's appreciated by other like-minded people from their culture, or an organised party in the centre of London, suitably supervised and policed, but not in the middle of private housing estates.

How would Indians or Pakistanis feel if we went to their countries and completely took over residential areas of their biggest cities, noisily celebrating something that had nothing to do with their culture. Do you think the locals or authorities there would be as tolerant as we are of them doing it here...??

No chance. The problem is we're too bloody soft!!

Marco.

montesquieu
12-11-2019, 20:49
I have to disagree with you there Marco.

My first flat was in a part of Glasgow that was dominated by the Irish community, indeed the newsagent not only stocked the Irish Times but also the Donegal Times because most of the people there didn't just have a Irish connection, but a Donegal connection. As it happens that kind of suited me and soon I was playing the organ at Mass on a Sunday .. it's not actually why I moved there (I moved there because I was working in the centre of Glasgow about three stops away on the train - the station was over the back fence - and because it was cheap). But it certainly suited me culturally.

People like to stick together indeed I occasionally visit a village in Berkshire the locals call Waltham McLawrence because its so full of Scots, starting with the two brothers that own the local pub - when you go there it's like you are sitting somewhere in Edinburgh.

Immigrants tend to cluster in a place not because they are trying to recreate the old country, but because having people like themselves around the place makes living in a new country that bit easier, and, yes, where there are people around to share important rituals and customs. Whether you are talking Jewish people in Golders Green, or Koreans in New Malden, or indeed retired Gurkhas not so far from me in Aldershot, the area around London has lots of communities who come to populate specific places.

Just looking it up Southall overall is 55% South Asian (with some wards much, much higher than than that) and has been populated by South Asians since the 1920s. I'm far from being Mr PC indeed I have a healthy disrespect for a lot of it but really, choosing to live and to continue living in a multicultural hotspot even after it starts to irritate you is something you either do or you don't.

One of the down sides of the otherwise quite convenient sandstone tenement I lived in on the south side of Glasgow was its proximity to Hampden Stadium and the fact that on international or cup final match days, drunken idiots would come up our close (in those early 1980s days before intercoms and buzzers were widespread) and piss against the wall. It was the main reason I moved away.

Joe
12-11-2019, 21:36
How would Indians or Pakistanis feel if we went to their countries and completely took over

Well, 'we' took over the whole of what is now India and Pakistan from the 17th century onwards, which is why they're in the UK now!

Marco
12-11-2019, 21:38
Well, as they say: two wrongs don't make a right! I've got no problem with immigrants, just with how well (or not) they're integrating into their local communities, and also British culture as a whole.

Tom, I'll get to your post later.

Marco.

montesquieu
12-11-2019, 21:57
Well, as they say: two wrongs don't make a right! I've got no problem with immigrants, just with how well (or not) they're integrating with their local communities, and also British culture as a whole.

Tom, I'll get to your post later.

Marco.

My point Marco is that once things reach a certain point - whether you like it or not - it's just whistling in the wind to moan about it. Immigrant or other like-minded communities coming together and making their presence felt in a place is a fact of life, and you can only expect they will bring their customs with them. Just like there's no point in living in a picturesque village with a Norman church, and then complaining about the bell-ringers - it comes with the package.

You either join in the festivities, find a way to put up with it, or vote with your feet. Either way, it's a choice, and no amount of complaining about 'them' (whoever 'them' turns out to be, whether it's an Orange Walk or the Notting Hill Carnival) will make a blind bit of difference.

smangus
12-11-2019, 22:07
The point is, Tom, Geoff or anyone else living in that area, shouldn't require to have to "get used to" listening to a constant din, because some religious celebration or other is taking place, which has nothing to do with their culture, and they aren't the slightest bit interested in!:doh:

I get Xmas and Easter rammed down my throat every year, :confused:

Marco
12-11-2019, 22:23
My point Marco is that once things reach a certain point - whether you like it or not - it's just whistling in the wind to moan about it. Immigrant or other like-minded communities coming together and making their presence felt in a place is a fact of life, and you can only expect they will bring their customs with them. Just like there's no point in living in a picturesque village with a Norman church, and then complaining about the bell-ringers - it comes with the package.

You either join in the festivities, find a way to put up with it, or vote with your feet. Either way, it's a choice, and no amount of complaining about 'them' (whoever 'them' turns out to be, whether it's an Orange Walk or the Notting Hill Carnival) will make a blind bit of difference.

Nope, I completely disagree!

ANY immigrant, no matter where they're from [and that applies to Brits, or anyone else, if they move to a foreign country], should LEARN TO RESPECT the fact that they are guests on someone else's land, and to RESPECT THE LOCAL CULTURE AND CUSTOMS of that country (and learn how to speak their language for starters), not turn sections of it into a mini-version of theirs!

So you shouldn't have to just "put up with it".

The situation should've been monitored by the authorities, from day one of the first immigrant entering any UK city, guilty of such behaviour, before that mentality got a foothold and gained traction, and whilst their culture and religion should be respected and considered, as after all we're a civilised and tolerant country, they should've been made aware that if they wished to practice the customs of their country, here in the UK, it must be done harmoniously and in a way that didn't cause resentment or conflict with the native British people who've been living in those cities long before them.

Welcome people from other countries and cultures yes, become slaves to their customs and way of life in the process, no!

The fact that we have failed to control the situation, and allowed cultures and rituals foreign to ours to take over large parts of our cities, is the reason why our country's in the state that it's in, the result of which is that British people, born and bred here, feel threatened and intimidated when entering ghettos, created by immigrants who have patently failed to integrate properly with British culture, and so in the process, people like Geoff have been victimised and made to feel like second-class citizens in the country they were born in.

Do you honestly think that the above, especially the bit in bold, is right? And since you mentioned Glasgow, I can tell you that I have friends living in the likes of Govanhill, Queens Park and Pollokshields, who feel similarly threatened when entering those areas, especially at night, because they're now completely outnumbered and overrun by Indians and Pakistanis, yet they were born and brought up there.

According to your logic, my friends, who've been living in those areas all of their lives, should simply put up with having rituals that have nothing whatsoever to do with their culture, rammed down their throats, and 'vote with their feet' and up sticks, if they don't like it, because that's 'just how it is'. Yeah that sounds really logical and fair... :nono:

Marco.

Marco
12-11-2019, 22:25
I get Xmas and Easter rammed down my throat every year, :confused:

It's not keeping you awake every night, though, is it?;)

Marco.

smangus
12-11-2019, 22:58
It's not keeping you awake every night, though, is it?;)

Marco.

Luckily no kids, so no :ner:

On a serious note

" with British people, born and bred here, feeling threatened and intimidated entering ghettos created by immigrants who have patently refused to integrate properly"

This make a huge amount of assumptions, many, if not now most of the Asian community in Southall will be 2nd/3rd generation family who will have been born and bred here and are therefore "British" people with a shared culture - British and Asian. I bet the kids jamming the cars will be young men in their 20s or so born and raised here.

One of the main barriers that prevents new immigrant populations integrating is the racism that they face on arrival, many would like nothing better to integrate but the effective denial of this from many facets of life social , economic, political forces them to create their own communities and appearance of voluntary "segregation" to those outside of their communities.

This is a complex subject with many factors to take into account, please don't fall into the Farage et al trap of parroting dog whistle phrases to illustrate your valid points.

Having said that it doesn't hurt for communities to show due consideration for each other. :kiss:

Marco
12-11-2019, 23:11
.My first flat was in a part of Glasgow that was dominated by the Irish community, indeed the newsagent not only stocked the Irish Times but also the Donegal Times because most of the people there didn't just have a Irish connection, but a Donegal connection. As it happens that kind of suited me and soon I was playing the organ at Mass on a Sunday .. it's not actually why I moved there (I moved there because I was working in the centre of Glasgow about three stops away on the train - the station was over the back fence - and because it was cheap). But it certainly suited me culturally.

But what if it didn't suit you, and you were from another culture - would you then go out of your way to ram home and impose your culture upon the Irish community you joined? No, you respected its values and successfully integrated with their community, which is precisely what more Indians and Pakistanis should be doing when coming to the UK!

Immigrants tend to cluster in a place not because they are trying to recreate the old country, but because having people like themselves around the place makes living in a new country that bit easier, and, yes, where there are people around to share important rituals and customs. Whether you are talking Jewish people in Golders Green, or Koreans in New Malden, or indeed retired Gurkhas not so far from me in Aldershot, the area around London has lots of communities who come to populate specific places.

And I have ZERO problem with that, but as I've said, it *cannot* be to the detriment of the lives of people who have been living in this country long before them, creating resentment and conflict in the process among the very people (just like the Irish you found) who represented the established community.

As you know, my parents are Italian, as were my grandparents. They came over from Italy to Scotland during the war, in order to make a better life for themselves in difficult times, by starting up businesses, in our case fish and chip shops, which benefited and put money into the local community, and they learned English and did their utmost to FIT IN as British citizens, and be an asset not only to the area that they lived in, but the country as a whole, so why can't more Indians and Pakistanis coming here set out do the same?

To the best of my knowledge, if we use Scotland as an example, as we're both familiar with the geography, whilst there are many parts of the country where Italian immigrants have traditionally settled, and where large Italian communities have been born, unlike with some Asians, there are no intimidating ghettos, created by Italians, which people born and bred in the UK, and others, are now too scared to enter.

So whatever way you cut it, Tom, that simply isn't right and doesn't *need* to happen, if when coming to our country, the immigrants in question have the right attitude and mentality, which is pretty much what it boils down to - and moreover, the authorities have the balls to enforce it, without being scared stiff of being shown the 'racist card'! As a nation, we're too fully of lily-livered liberals:rolleyes:

*That* is the core problem. And unfortunately, many of the Indian and Pakistani immigrants who've arrived in the UK, especially in recent times, appear to have little desire to FIT IN with US, but rather seek to make US fit in with THEM. And, I'm sorry, but no matter what you say, you'll never convince me that such behaviour is right or can in any way be justified!

We need to create inclusivity in our society, not breed EXCLUSIVITY, and that applies to the behaviour of both our immigrant and native citizens.

Marco.

Marco
12-11-2019, 23:42
On a serious note " with British people, born and bred here, feeling threatened and intimidated entering ghettos created by immigrants who have patently refused to integrate properly"

This make a huge amount of assumptions, many, if not now most of the Asian community in Southall will be 2nd/3rd generation family who will have been born and bred here and are therefore "British" people with a shared culture - British and Asian. I bet the kids jamming the cars will be young men in their 20s or so born and raised here.

And that's fine, but did the parents of the young men you're speaking of attempt to integrate properly with the local community when they first arrived in the UK?

Or did they simply seek to create a mini-India or Pakistan, to the detriment of the residents of the (then) local community [as many people subjected to such now feel exactly like Geoff], and a tradition which their children have simply carried on with since, with no respect for how their actions have impacted on others?

If that's the case, then I'm sorry, it's an epic fail, as no attempt has been made to integrate harmoniously with the local community, but rather simply take over.

One of the main barriers that prevents new immigrant populations integrating is the racism that they face on arrival...

I completely agree, and it's both abhorrent and inexcusable. I have zero tolerance for racists of any description, and that also includes Asians, living in their self-created ghettos in UK cities, who racially abuse British people, not part of their culture, who dare to enter 'their domain'...

And trust me, that happens all the time - and also much worse, as I've witnessed it first hand!! And such behaviour is both completely inexcusable and indefensible. Therefore, is it any wonder that the other side retaliates accordingly and thus creates a vicious circle?

We ALL need (as you've alluded to) to be more tolerant of people of other races and from other cultures, and learn to live together respectfully and harmoniously in the spaces we share, but that's an old story, and only able to be achieved if we all give and take, and consider others not just ourselves, and stop simply looking after No1.

The sooner, if ever, that human beings, from any race or culture, accept that they're not entitled to simply do whatever THEY want and have things all THEIR own way, regardless of the consequences, and instead embrace mutual understanding and compromise, the better a place our world will be:)

But, as they say, it takes two to tango!

Marco.

Marco
13-11-2019, 07:50
Geoff, may I ask what like Southall was when you first arrived (don't know if you were born there or not, or how long you've lived there), and what it's like now, in terms of the problems you're experiencing? Could you describe the nature of the change, how things have got worse and what you think is the cause?

It seems to me that when you arrived in the area (or grew up there, I don't know), you accepted its multi-cultural roots and were happy to be part of that community, but since then certain cultures have been allowed to dominate and take over, to the detriment of other people living there, and to the extent that you now feel excluded from your local community.

Is that a reasonable assumption?:)

Marco.

Joe
13-11-2019, 08:41
As you know, my parents are Italian, as were my grandparents. They came over from Italy to Scotland during the war,.

I'm surprised they were able to do that; would they not have been interned as 'enemy aliens'? (Or was it during WWI)?

Marco
13-11-2019, 08:44
The latter, Joe, in reference to my grandparents. I should've been clearer, sorry.

Marco.