PDA

View Full Version : Worth getting sme3009 unimproved rewired?

Simon75
03-11-2018, 22:58
I've currently got a Shure M55e cartridge mounted on a sme 3009 nonimproved arm/thorens td150. I'm currently considering upgrade options, I was thinking it was time to look at other cartridges but another option is to get the sme 3009 rewired. I've read in several places that audio orgami does a good job. Any thoughts?

AJSki2fly
04-11-2018, 04:45
I've currently got a Shure M55e cartridge mounted on a sme 3009 nonimproved arm/thorens td150. I'm currently considering upgrade options, I was thinking it was time to look at other cartridges but another option is to get the sme 3009 rewired. I've read in several places that audio orgami does a good job. Any thoughts?

If I remember correctly the standard wiring in an SME arm is not very good and upgrading it is quite common. You just need to balance the cost against the cost of upgrading to a better arm. I have an SME IV hybrid that is virtually an SME V it was a special order that a customer never had. The dealer replaced the internal cable saying this made a big difference. Also after a few months I replaced the cable from arm to phono stage this made a big improvement to openess and clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

struth
04-11-2018, 06:26
Always thought sme 3009 wire was ok. [emoji3]

AJSki2fly
04-11-2018, 06:45
Actually Grant your probably correct I was thinking about the 309. Worth checking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wakefield Turntables
04-11-2018, 09:55

I've got exactly the same set up on my Garrard 301 as a 2nd arm option. The SME/Shure combo is excellent. J7 has rewired my arm and also checked the bearings (essential), I went for the copper rewire as I fancied an arm which could give a slightly warmer presentation. I usually go silver rewire. You should probably budget about £100 for the rewire and return postage.You should be OK once the SME is fettled, the only thing you need to do to "upgrade" the SME is perhaps experiment with headshell/cartridge combinations. The Shure needs a special light weight headshell and the M55e works extremely well with the JICO SAS and neoSAS stylii. I hope this helps.

The Black Adder
04-11-2018, 09:59
Hi had my 3009 S2 none improved rewired and serviced by J7 of audio origami. It's totally recommended. It's a fab tonearm and it's ripe for upgrading.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

Wakefield Turntables
04-11-2018, 11:12
You might also want to get the damping trough topped up as well.

Simon75
04-11-2018, 13:15
Thanks for all the advice, the consenus seems to be that it's a worthwhile upgrade.

hifi_dave
04-11-2018, 13:29
Definitely. It's a lovely arm and the only thing which lets is down is the original wiring.

topoxforddoc
04-11-2018, 17:17
+1 for Johnnie at AO

Barry
04-11-2018, 17:57
+2 for Jonnie at AO from me as well. Superb service.

I have four 3000 series SME arms and all have the original wiring (as well as the original steel knife edge bearings). Without comparing a rewired arm with one using the original wiring I can't really comment on the desirability or otherwise of a rewire, but I have heard of improvements by those who have had it done.

Some claim the quality of the copper used in the original arm wire was not particularly high. Certainly when the arm was manufactured people didn't obsess over copper quality as they do today - insisting on 5N purity and PCOCC copper, but in my view the original wire was perfectly good enough. The only thing that might make me want to consider a rewire would be to eliminate the joint in the original arm wiring.

CornishPasty
04-11-2018, 18:04
Rewiring a 3009 or 3012 is pretty straightforward for anyone with good soldering skills and some mechanical ability. I've done several using good quality copper wire but have done both of mine with silver. The silver wire sounds a bit more open to my ears though it's more expensive and a bit harder to work with. There is also a knot in the standard wiring just after the headshell connector which I'm convinced has a negative effect on sound quality.