PDA

View Full Version : Q on Fidelity Research headshell mounting

Riislingen
03-11-2018, 05:33
Hi all,

Contemplating buying an FR S/5 headshell but have doubts to the mounting of the cart.

I understand the mechanics of how it works and adjusts. However, on images I have found it appears carts are mounted with the screws going up from bottom to top mounting plate. I see in pics that the plate has a recess on the upper side facing the shell, likely to accommodate screws going in the cart from the top.

Can someone confirm that any cart can be mounted in such as shell?
http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/1617962-fidelity-research-frs5-headshell.jpg
http://www.musica-co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/item-photos-2018-1-22-066.jpg
>>Random images from Internet<<

walpurgis
03-11-2018, 09:01
I can't see a problem, as long as the screws are a suitable length. It's the same idea as the Lenco headshell.

You'd be stuck if your cartridge had a threaded body that accepts screws from above though.

karma67
03-11-2018, 09:15
if you did you could always remove the plate and countersink the holes from above,fit the cartridge and then re fix the plate to the headshell.

walpurgis
03-11-2018, 09:19
if you did you could always remove the plate and countersink the holes from above,fit the cartridge and then re fix the plate to the headshell.

You could, but that means sacrificing the threads in the holes. It would make sense to try and obtain a spare plate if trying this (or making one).

Riislingen
03-11-2018, 15:24
I appears the holes from above already are countersunk with recesses to fit the screw heads. Just not sure if that's designed on purpose to accommodate carts that are not drilled through. Have either of you seen a cart mounted from the top on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riislingen
03-11-2018, 15:26
You'd be stuck if your cartridge had a threaded body that accepts screws from above though.

This is exactly what I have. Dl103R in an Uwe Ebony body. Plan was to fit that in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry
03-11-2018, 15:46
I have several Fidelity Research headshells, and in all cases the cartridges are fitted with screws mounted upwards into the tapped headshell plate.

This makes sense as the FR cartridges used un-threaded holes in their bodies.

To do what you want to do, requires the tapped holes in the headshell plate to be drilled through and the cartridge to be fitted with short screws whose heads can fit the countersunk recess. You will also have to place the headshell plate fixing nut in the slot before you fit the cartridge, as this will be covered up by the cartridge body when fitted. You should be able to 'pick up' the thread of the nut with the headshell overhang adjustment screw (the big domed screw with cross slots).

Be careful not to over- tighten this screw: it's made of aluminium and the thread can strip easily.

hifi_dave
03-11-2018, 16:03
I have several of these lovely headshells but they aren't the easiest to use. Their RS-121 is more conventional and practical.

Riislingen
03-11-2018, 16:07
I have several Fidelity Research headshells, and in all cases the cartridges are fitted with screws mounted upwards into the tapped headshell plate.

This makes sense as the FR cartridges used un-threaded holes in their bodies.

To do what you want to do, requires the tapped holes in the headshell plate to be drilled through and the cartridge to be fitted with short screws whose heads can fit the countersunk recess. You will also have to place the headshell plate fixing nut in the slot before you fit the cartridge, as this will be covered up by the cartridge body when fitted. You should be able to 'pick up' the thread of the nut with the headshell overhang adjustment screw (the big domed screw with cross slots).

Be careful not to over- tighten this screw: it's made of aluminium and the thread can strip easily.

Thanks Barry! Exactly what I thought. Think I'll leave it alone.

Riislingen
03-11-2018, 16:07
I have several of these lovely headshells but they aren't the easiest to use. Their RS-121 is more conventional and practical.

Thanks Dave. Will check it out.

Barry
03-11-2018, 17:21
The headshell that matches the FR64x arm has slots; so would be ideal for your re-bodied DL103:

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/1154216-fidelity-research-fr64fx-tonearm-with-fr-headshell.jpg

hifi_dave
03-11-2018, 18:41
The RS-121 is a better headshell. Bit like a grown up ADC LMG-1 and better made with the double bayonet.

Barry
03-11-2018, 18:56
Is this the RS-121 headshell?

https://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/1420496-fidelity-research-rs121-headshell-wanted.jpg

In what way is it better than the FR64x headshell I showed?

Riislingen
03-11-2018, 21:07
Is this the RS-121 headshell?

https://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/1420496-fidelity-research-rs121-headshell-wanted.jpg

In what way is it better than the FR64x headshell I showed?

I think so yes. Looks very much like the 121, Dave suggests.

Ammonite Audio
04-11-2018, 06:37
Yes, that's the RS-121 headshell. Much lighter than the FR-S5 etc but plain looks aside a much better and better sounding headshell, in my experience. I have two RS-121s and a variety of other FR headshells for use with my Phonomac restored FR-64S.

mikeyb
04-11-2018, 06:51
I use the 121 in my 64fx arm, only problem I have with it are the short leads as I can't quite get the stylus to the very end of the slots which is where it needs to be according to my SMARTractor setup tool. My stylus is about 2mm shy of where it should be [emoji17]

They're soldered to the headshell so for me not an easy fix.