PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse TD508 MKII Nearfield Full Range Single Driver Speakers

daws0n
31-10-2018, 19:59
These are my 2nd pair of 508s, regrettably sold my other pair last year and since bought another set! These have been used for TV A/V duties so light use only - my display has a built in 2 channel amplifier and does a great job of driving these, but we are swapping it out for something newer (it's an old "pro" grade pioneer plasma). Hence, I would need to purchase (another) amp to make these sing again. I'd rather not, and still have my wee TD308s to fall back on should the itch return.

The sound from these speakers is really impressive - they have a decent mid bass thump but don't go down low, so a sub would be recommended for real impact. However their transient response and ability to resolve micro dynamics more than makes up for this - they are very high resolution and detailed. While lacking visceral impact for certain music their sense of speed and rhythm does a great job of conveying what is going on. Brilliant speakers for late night / morning "quiet" listening and also really good for movies (speech and ambient noise is clear as a bell - it's like having high quality headphones on with out the discomfort). They particularly shine with vocals, acoustic music, piano and jazz.

They are in excellent condition and fully boxed, I got them cheaper than the last set so selling at a knocked down price.

£250

https://preview.ibb.co/mD8DXf/S6300167.jpg

ReggieB
31-10-2018, 22:10
Dawson is the terrible man who made me realise that I could have the wonderful Eclipse sound in my room. I bought his other pair and haven't looked back. I now own a pair of Eclipse of TD512. The TD508 are a great introduction to the Eclipse sound. What I love about them is the way that each instrument and voice traces it's own path through the music. Once I tried them in my system, they had to replace the Spendor S3/5R2 I had as my main speakers at the time. Do yourself a favour and give these speakers a go in your system.

daws0n
31-10-2018, 23:24
Haha I was eyeing up your 512s before you bought them Reg :) Eclipse sound is something special, coupled with a sub it is easy to overcome their limitations. Combined with a modest panasonic active sub even the tiny td307s surprisingly capable. I would love to try some 712s one day, I bet they are something else.

I appreciate the clarity of decent headphones but hate wearing them... These unusual single driver designs are pretty close for definition minus the discomfort.

How are you getting on with the td512s?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ReggieB
02-11-2018, 15:33
Yes, I'm hoping that in a few years time second hand 712s will be affordable.

I am very pleased with the 512s. I have a fairly small listening room and they suit that very well.

daws0n
11-11-2018, 22:40
Good to hear Reg I would like to hear them one day, spec wise they don't seem far off the 712s either.

daws0n
13-11-2018, 12:36
Sold