PDA

View Full Version : Original Caiman owner....suggested replacement/upgrades?

dufferdan
27-10-2018, 20:39
Have an original Caiman, I think I bought it in 2009. I use it with my Squeezebox Touch of the same era. Works great still, but wondering after almost a decade, what is a reasonable upgrade? Can this unit be brought up to modern specs?

Middle of the road system, prefer value components. Smallish primary listening room (15x20 living room, lots of furniture and curtains) with the following:

Logitech Squeezebox Touch, connected to home network via Ethernet network.
Optical out to
Beresford Caiman DAC
RCA line out to
Cambridge Audio 60 WPC Integrated amp
Rotes 5 disk C.D. player
Line out from amp to Rotel 6 channel amp, which drive 2 sets of remote speakers in kitchen and back yard, audio volume controlled by resistor volume controls in the zone.
Main room speakers are not pretty vintage Royd Minstrels.

Sources as above, music is lossless ripped CD’s (ALAC and some FLAC) on main Mac computer, served by the Logitech music server software.

I have also ripped some DVD audio and hi res 24/96 Flacs purchased online.

When the Squeezebox dies, as I assume it is on borrowed time, I will upgrade to something more robust.

For the computer audio headphone system beside my iMac I have a Schiit Audio original Bifrost DAC feeding a Valhalla 2 headphone amp. Connection is optical audio to iMac.

So I can look at upgrading the Bifrost and moving it over, a new Beresford, move over the Bifrost and get a new DAC for computer system, or other.

Thoughts? Anyone do head to head between the two?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StanleyB
27-10-2018, 23:08
If you loved the original Caiman, then you'll love the latest version, The Caiman SEG even more. I still use my SB Touch for R&D and streaming music. Also look at the Dorado PSU to go with the SEG.

Jerry B
28-10-2018, 07:59
I fully endorse Stan's view. A SEG is an excellent upgrade.