PDA

View Full Version : Replacing ortofon mc25 fl

Lordlidder
25-10-2018, 20:31
Greetings from mid devon,having just acquired an ortofon mc25 fl cartridge which I find sounds perfect in my system i was wondering when it's time to replace(hopefully not in the near future!) could someone recommend a more up to date model from ortofon please? My system consists of technics 1210 modded with sme 309,puresound p10 phono and t10 SUT and the a30 integrated amp. Cheapo gale gold mini monitors make the noise surprisingly acceptable!!! Thanks LL

struth
25-10-2018, 20:36
I believe ortophon rereleased this cart with one or 2 alterations and called something else. Lol. Great cart for money and will cost a lot to equal

walpurgis
25-10-2018, 20:45
Is that supposed to be MC25FL?

struth
25-10-2018, 21:55
Is that supposed to be MC25FL?

Ive altered the title.

walpurgis
25-10-2018, 22:30
The MC25FL is a really nice MC cartridge. If it should wear out, as it inevitably will one day, It is definitely worth have retipped/overhauled. I'd guess Goldring might take this on, as they offer a decent repair service covering most makes.

Lordlidder
26-10-2018, 18:48
Grant,thanks for altering the title of my enquiry. I too believe that I'm going to have to spend a lot to better this cartridge unfortunately. Who knows though,this was an eBay gamble but the description and communication with the seller swayed me. £155 well spent me thinks.Cheers and enjoy the music.

Mike Reed
26-10-2018, 19:17
Gutsy little cart. with a healthy output. Friend replaced his with a Rhomann; what a disappointment ! So much so that the dealer changed it for a Lyra Helikon (many moons ago). The low output of the Rhomann didn't help, I s'pose, so whether it's a Quintet or Cadenza you eventually go for, think about the output/phono stage synergy.

Not at all sure about re-tipping v.f.m. at that level; maybe a good opportunity to upgrade with decent trade-in.

Barry
26-10-2018, 20:55
It depends on how much it would cost to re-tip. The MC25FL is an excellent cartridge for the money. You should be able to get 1,000 hours (or 1,500 LPs) play from the stylus.

Rumour has it the manufacture actually cost Ortofon more than the sale price, which is why it didn't remain in production for long.

Intenso
27-10-2018, 15:24
I replaced my MC25FL with a Quintet Bronze which also uses a Fine Line stylus.

I traded in my spent MC25FL and got a good discount.

The Quintet Bronze shares some similarity in sound to the MC25FL but in my view betters it...

337alant
28-10-2018, 18:46
I had a MC25FL and loved it until one of my sons accidentally knocked the arm across the record snapping the cantilever off :doh:

I replaced it with a second hand Ortofon Kontrapunkt B and was blown away it had the same neutrality great bass and smooth treble but just sounded tighter cleaner and just better but saying that it was the same time as I built my paradise phono stage so that might have helped a bit :rolleyes::D
Anyway I would say that the Kontrapunkt B was a good alternative if you like that neutral sound

Alan