PDA

View Full Version : Big Spendors for a not so big spender

sluggish
16-04-2010, 18:08
I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this: My perfect hi-fi would probably be Spendor SP100Rs driven by suitable Naim stuff, but I could never possibly afford that. http://s560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/smilies/17433.gif

So what about the older 100 series Spendors? The S100 or SP100? And what to drive them with? My past experiences with smaller Naim (Nait 1) and Creek (4140) amps were quite positive, but I never really warmed up to the Linn Majik I and LK1/280 that I had (both sounded more mechanical than rhythmically upbeat to me, but to each his own), if this gives some insight.

Thank you for you thoughts.

DSJR
16-04-2010, 20:17
the big Spendors have a slightly humped up bass response (not severe, but definitely there) which needs SPACE around them in a US style timber-frame room to balance right (many studios have a drier and leaner acoustic to a domestic environment I'm told). The polypropylene mid driver will give that Spendor "organic" quality but with slight loss of very fine details - IMO. The passive crossover won't help either..

As with new Spendors, a BIGGER Naim amp with perhaps some silver-plated copper cable of good gauge (we used Chord Odyssey to advantage with Naim's full awareness, as well as the good-n-crisp toned A5) should be fine. A Nait will clip IMO and the complex load from the three-way crossover won't really help - IMO...

The SP100's have a slightly better bass IIRC and the current updates have fine-tuned a now 20+ year old speaker..

My preference would be for some Harbeth 40.1's. Bang up to date driver technology, hours of testing and listening and a warm, but such a clear toned speaker which can be driven by almost anything - you choose... HiFi dave's demo pair coped with my Crofted Quad II's with no complaint, apart from losing deep bass and high treble when compared to the awsome and affordable Series 7 power amp.

In the UK, I've seen the odd pair of S100's go for very few hundred quid and this must be a great bargain IMO. Just PLEASE get an amp with a little bit of damping factor to hold the bass together and allow the midrange to shine...

Ali Tait
16-04-2010, 20:43
Yes well,at $13,000 dollars,I'd imagine you would prefer them!

sluggish
16-04-2010, 21:01
Hi Dave, yes, I'd never expect the little Nait to hang on to a 12" driver; I was just trying to establish that I had some familiarity with the character of Naim, Creek, and Linn electronics, and preferred the first two. Right know I'm thinking that maybe something like an Naim 82/250 would be a fairly affordable and effective combo here, but I'm more than open to suggestions.

Ali, boy is that right! I'm not looking for perfection, but rather a big, happy, forgiving quality. Think listening to Toots and the Maytals with a couple of Red Stripes in your belly -- that's what I'm after.

sluggish
16-04-2010, 21:01
Hi Dave, yes, I'd never expect the little Nait to hang on to a 12" driver; I was just trying to establish that I had some familiarity with the character of Naim, Creek, and Linn electronics, and preferred the first two. Right know I'm thinking that maybe something like an Naim 82/250 would be a fairly affordable and effective combo here, but I'm more than open to suggestions.

Ali, boy is that right! I'm not looking for perfection, but rather a big, happy, forgiving quality. Think listening to Toots and the Maytals with a couple of Red Stripes in your belly -- that's what I'm after.

DSJR
17-04-2010, 20:09
Bigger Naims and Spendors do go well together, as does the Quad 909 - IMO... I should also think that the Croft Series 7 would be as great with S/SP100's as it is with the Harbeth 40.1's..

I'm sure you have some great home-grown amps too which would do the job well..

sluggish
18-04-2010, 02:11
I hadn't considered Quad gear, but I understand it's very solidly built. I don't know if Croft can be found in the U.S., but maybe it can? Don't Croft amps use tubes? I've read that Spendors and tubes don't go that well together, but I'm open to the idea if it works! Maybe a Spendor/Manley combo?

hifi_dave
18-04-2010, 09:07
Big Spendors might not be a good match with a low powered SET but a Stingray or Croft would do the job. Alternatively, an LFD Integrated Zero will provide most of a good tube amp's qualities and have plenty of drive to control the large driver.

DSJR
18-04-2010, 13:22
As above..

I mention the 909 because it's a very "friendly" sounding amp with no attitude (except for a *possible* lingering dislike of very cruel low impedance loads). It's musical, widely available, RELIABLE and does give a soundstage of great overall proportion that wouldn't disgrace any valve amp IMO. It may look like a 606 and indeed is descended from it, but detailed tweaks were done and these are audible if you compared them (I have, briefly done this).

Ali, I mentioned the 40.1's because this is the latest "version" of a big three-way broadcast monitor which goes back to the BC3 and (sort of in two way form) the LS5/8, which was conceptually related to the SA3, which came between the BC3 and S100...

ALL of these need some room around them IMO to get the bass in correct proportion.

Ali Tait
18-04-2010, 14:18
Lot of money for a wooden box with some drivers in it..

sluggish
18-04-2010, 18:06
Well, I'm sure the 40.1s are amazing, and the biggest complaints I have about the Spendors I have now is that they do seem to obscure fine detail and they're a little dynamically soft, but overall they have been great. Even the loss of fine detail has its advantages, as most of what I listen too (think Rhino reissues) isn't all that well recorded. But I have a fairly large American frame house, and set of older 100-series Soendors would fit the bill nicely. The challenge is keeping speakers and electronics, minus sources, under $5000 USD.

Ali Tait
18-04-2010, 19:12
How about DIY? Some open baffles perhaps

sluggish
18-04-2010, 20:43
Well, I do have those Goodmans drivers and the Eicos, right? But can 50 year old retro-fi play modern music well? Can it play the Ramones? Or NIN? But then, not everyone wold think Spendors would be the way to go for that sort of thing, but I'm happy with them....

The Grand Wazoo
18-04-2010, 20:52
But can 50 year old retro-fi play modern music well? Can it play the Ramones?

Modern music? Bluddy 'ell, The Ramones are 36 years old now!!!
Send me the Eicos, I promise only to listen to pre-war blues on them!

Ali Tait
18-04-2010, 20:56
I'd say the answer is yes!

sluggish
18-04-2010, 22:20
Modern music? Bluddy 'ell, The Ramones are 36 years old now!!!
Send me the Eicos, I promise only to listen to pre-war blues on them!

Yeah, point made. I just have an image of them playing Dean Martin ad infinitum.

zoltm
12-07-2010, 14:45
What do you guys think about EAR 549 pairing with SP100? Would it be a good match?

Techno Commander
12-07-2010, 14:54
But can 50 year old retro-fi play modern music well? ...

I have heard electronic dance music played on a Garrard 401 and SME 312 combo. Definitely brings a smile to your face.:)

Marco
12-07-2010, 15:14
What do you guys think about EAR 549 pairing with SP100? Would it be a good match?

Hi 'zoltm',

Welcome to AOS! :)

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community by supplying your first name, basic geographical location, system details and music tastes, as this is a requirement for all new members joining AOS.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
12-07-2010, 16:53
549's should drive anything with that quiet, understated quality EAR amps seem to have. May be too much of a good thing with big Spendor passives though and the overtated "quality" of vintage CB/Olive Naims may actually be better in this instance.

hifi_dave
13-07-2010, 16:35
549's will drive a rusty nail into a barn door and do it all day long. The Spendor's will be no problemo...:eyebrows:

DSJR
13-07-2010, 17:38
549's will drive a rusty nail into a barn door...:eyebrows:

Yeah, I've seen the evidence :lolsign: