PDA

View Full Version : How are you using your Tenuto gunmetal mat?

nickbaba
22-10-2018, 21:00
A question for owners of the Tenuto gunmetal mat... do you place your vinyl directly onto the metal surface, or use another thin mat in between?

What sounds better to you? And is it safe (for the vinyl) to rest directly on the metal surface?

Bigman80
22-10-2018, 21:04
A question for owners of the Tenuto gunmetal mat... do you place your vinyl directly onto the metal surface, or use another thin mat in between?

What sounds better to you? And is it safe (for the vinyl) to rest directly on the metal surface?Perfectly safe directly onto the Tenuto. Just give its wipe over with a anti-static brush every now and again to keep debris off it. It was designed to be used that way.

Vrajbasi
23-10-2018, 09:07
I would recommend a thin mat underneath the Tenuto something I used a ring mat also the funk firm matt, something no to thick I know Unique Audio recommends the Harmonix mat underneath and highly regards the Tunuto. I would not use anything on top personally and is seems to loose the vibrancy of the Brilliant Tenuto which is superb in providing dynamics and scale Pure Sound created a superb product with the Tunuto and at a good price I have the original Micro Seiki matt which costs a small fortune these days and the pure sound is very very close at fraction the price well done Pure Sound, just find a little taming helps to make it into an exemplary product . I much prefer the sound with a matt underneath no question.

Bigman80
23-10-2018, 09:25
I would recommend a thin mat underneath the Tenuto something I used a ring mat also the funk firm matt, something no to thick I know Unique Audio recommends the Harmonix mat underneath and highly regards the Tunuto. I would not use anything on top personally and is seems to loose the vibrancy of the Brilliant Tenuto which is superb in providing dynamics and scale Pure Sound created a superb product with the Tunuto and at a good price I have the original Micro Seiki matt which costs a small fortune these days and the pure sound is very very close at fraction the price well done Pure Sound, just find a little taming helps to make it into an exemplary product . I much prefer the sound with a matt underneath no question.Guy left the underside of the Tenuto uncoated to specifically allow it to directly couple to the platter. By putting anything under it or on it you are effectively inhibiting it's ability to perform at it's best. Whilst I accept most things can be modded for improvement, the Tenuto does not improve using mats under it or on it.

Use it as intended and you have a platter mat of supreme quality and effectiveness.

Vrajbasi
23-10-2018, 10:43
Guy left the underside of the Tenuto uncoated to specifically allow it to directly couple to the platter. By putting anything under it or on it you are effectively inhibiting it's ability to perform at it's best. Whilst I accept most things can be modded for improvement, the Tenuto does not improve using mats under it or on it.

Use it as intended and you have a platter mat of supreme quality and effectiveness.

These are my personal findings on actual listening on the garrards I have heard that others feel the same, of course these differences come down to taste and systems etc. I just find it a little strident directly on the platter maybe with your technics a matt underneath is not needed.

Bigman80
23-10-2018, 10:47
These are my personal findings on actual listening on the garrards I have heard that others feel the same, of course these differences come down to taste and systems etc. I just find it a little strident directly on the platter maybe with your technics a matt underneath is not needed.Fair enough.

Wakefield Turntables
23-10-2018, 10:48
I've tried things under the tenuto to negative detriment. I'd go Bareback if I were you :eek:

WESTLOWER
23-10-2018, 11:30

What sounds better to you? And is it safe (for the vinyl) to rest directly on the metal surface?

I go Bare, nothing underneath...(although i have not tried anything under it)
and yes it's safe for the vinyl..but you gotta keep the top side clean though..
a quick wipe or brush of the mat prior to putting the record on the platter, another ritual, but essential.

paulf-2007
23-10-2018, 12:51
I use a copper mat on my Denon DP80, not the tenuto, but I find it best bare. I use a record weight to stop slippage when brushing.

Spectral Morn
23-10-2018, 13:17
The Oyaide BR one under the MJ12 mat sounds better than without. I have tried it on several turntables, Garrad, and Technics, with a preference always for the BR one under the metal mat. Also tried the BR one under a glass mat, with same result.