PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Music Unlimited Versus Tidal

icehockeyboy
17-10-2018, 09:59
I currently use Tidal’s £9.99 streaming service through my Naim Muso, no complaints, unlike when I used Spotify (similar issues to when I used it via the Squeezebox.

Anyway, I really do think the Alexa voice control is great, but, as it would mean connecting an Echo, or Echo Dot via a 3.5 mm jack into the Muso, as opposed to Tidal being ‘native’ (built in) would I notice an audible difference?

struth
17-10-2018, 10:17
I used to use my alexa dot via a 3.5mm into stereo but it wasnt that good tbh. but none of the low bit rate ones are into a main system(spotify was without doubt the best) Tidal full fat is pretty good and goes up again if ran through audirvana.

icehockeyboy
17-10-2018, 10:23
I guess I’m just wanting the voice control, but wouldn’t do it if SQ drops.

struth
17-10-2018, 10:29
if you had digi out it would be decent, but using its own dac lets it down badly

icehockeyboy
17-10-2018, 10:32
if you had digi out it would be decent, but using its own dac lets it down badly

Are you saying using a stand alone Dac would improve the Dot?

icehockeyboy
17-10-2018, 10:33
I’ve just realised that I’m back on the slippery upgrade road again!
Albeit just for a bedroom system,

struth
17-10-2018, 10:39
Are you saying using a stand alone Dac would improve the Dot?

it would but there is no way to do it bar maybe via an amazon tv box, as tv will have digi out. you can control many things on amazon tv by voice so might be the way

icehockeyboy
17-10-2018, 11:24
I’m only seeing Amazon Fire Stick devices...

struth
17-10-2018, 11:35
I’m only seeing Amazon Fire Stick devices...

same thing. it comes with a voice remote. you can use amazon music with it. it will output via tv but as long as your tv has a dig out and most do then take that to your own dac and away you go. it will be better than the dots meagre dac.

there is a connect up between my alexa echo and my tv box. not tried it with music but dont see why it wouldnt work too

Primalsea
17-10-2018, 12:01
I cast Amazon Music and spotify to my Raspberry Pi running Volumio from my Ipad. I guess that it would work the same on other tablets. There may be some way to get Alexa (or other voice thingy) to work on the tablet.

Sherwood
17-10-2018, 12:34
No comparison between Google and Tidal. Tidal is far superior in terms of SQ, and, as noted, can sound even better when used through Audivarna!

Geoff

icehockeyboy
17-10-2018, 15:28
No comparison between Google and Tidal. Tidal is far superior in terms of SQ, and, as noted, can sound even better when used through Audivarna!

Geoff
Never heard of Audiovarna, but I’m assuming that as Tidal is built into my Naim Muso, I wouldn’t be able to utilise it?

Stryder5
17-10-2018, 16:05
I’ve just realised that I’m back on the slippery upgrade road again!
Albeit just for a bedroom system,

I made my own 3.5 mm Jack from Echo Dot to RCA's from CarboKab 225 cable connected to my amp, I consider the quality very reasonable.

Gary

CageyH
18-10-2018, 05:31
I have Amazon music, which is bundled with Amazon Prime. The sound quality is poor, even when set on high.
I refuse to pay for the unlimited version.

Dave W
18-10-2018, 09:31
I am running Amazon Music and Tidal Hi-Fi. I switch between the 2 when I listen through my streamer and I struggle to tell the difference in quality. I think my streamer has a hand in improving the quality of Amazon. I wont be continuing my subscription with Tidal.

hornucopia
18-10-2018, 11:12
Amazon? Spawn of the devil?
Boycott all US products?
Hard, i know......

struth
18-10-2018, 11:21
i like Amazon. I know they are not perfect but who is. the service i get from them is second to none. I dont get out much so if i want something they deliver it to my door next day....mostly

kambo_z
22-10-2018, 06:11
Totally agree with Grant. They provide a good service to their customers.

i like Amazon. I know they are not perfect but who is. the service i get from them is second to none. I dont get out much so if i want something they deliver it to my door next day....mostly