PDA

View Full Version : Sony-UBP-X800-Blu-Ray DEAL ON AMAZON

Sherwood
16-10-2018, 12:10
Just noticed this deal on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-UBP-X800-Blu-Ray-High-Resolution-Quality-Black/dp/B06X92NQYF/ref=gbps_img_s-4_de40_8cc41196?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=d0f7e3e4-e66f-4308-a283-cdb62a11de40&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=H6NY2CMX6GMJ95F4W0XC

Might be of interest to some.

JohnG
28-10-2018, 09:45
I've in the past thought a Oppo was a worth while investigation to achieve a multi media set up at home.
The HD TV, is 14 years old now, so a modern TV, is on the horizon.
My digital media experiences as seen on our TV, is achieved through a download to a laptop and then the laptop is connected by HDMI to the TV.
How does the Sony model, make the user interface a improved experience
This model is a much cheaper alternative to a Oppo, it looks like it can be used as a CD Transport as well,
as I've got a want to have a CDT with the new recently purchased DAC, this seems to be worth a punt,
as it has all the other benefits of usage as well.
The DAC in use, has USB and Digital Coax Connection only, so I will need to check out connections are compatible.
Can the 4TB Passport Portable HD, with a FLAC File Storage, be connected to it, so it can be used as a alternative to a computer to replay music files or TV media. ?
How can a device like this be used to support a venture into Digital Music replays in a HiFi system and the beginnings of a AV system ?

struth
28-10-2018, 09:55
should do. it can stream from another source wirelessly and would think its got a usb in but read the pdf to see...http://bit.ly/2oQvSJ2

JohnG
28-10-2018, 11:07
Brilliant !, it ticks all of the boxes as it has Digital Coax, and Parental Control to lock the better half out :lol:
Joking put aside, it offers a multi usage format, that when one method of usage is obsolete, it will still have a relevant purpose for other applications.
I am closer to getting a trial period put into place with a Music Replay Software.
I was also advised recently to consider listening to a modern media player, such as a DVD/BluRay, as a CDT, as there has been much engineering thought put into the stability of the disc drives.

Macca
28-10-2018, 12:57
I was also advised recently to consider listening to a modern media player, such as a DVD/BluRay, as a CDT, as there has been much engineering thought put into the stability of the disc drives.

IME it's pot luck as regards to that. I've got a Samsung Blu-Ray player and as a CD transport it's diabolical. Performance of a transport depends on how much noise it generates and passes on to the external DAC. A good transport will have had attention paid to the power supplies so that doesn't happen. Most of these mass-market media players will not have had any of that, the power supply will be the bare minimum required to do the job.

I can recommend the Oppos as being pretty good used as a CD player through their analogue outputs though.