PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question?

kininigin
15-04-2010, 11:28
I have had my croft micro basic 25 for a week now and am very happy with it so far and have decided to buy a tt(picked up a 1200 for £100).

Now it's been a while since i last used a tt but im sure you had a locking nut for the ground wire on the amp but find no such thing on the croft.

Am i missing something glaringly obvious?

dowser
15-04-2010, 13:54
Doesn't Glenn sell the basic 25 both with and without a phono stage? Sounds like yours is line level only?

Richard

DSJR
15-04-2010, 14:06
Where did you get the Micro Basic from? Perhaps they can assist, otherwise Hifi dave will sort you out..

kininigin
15-04-2010, 14:46
I got the amp off ebay and it has the phono input connections but no where to connect the ground wire.

I'll contact the person i bought it off and see what they say.

kininigin
15-04-2010, 15:08
Out of curiousity i decided to look under the bonnet and to my shock there is only one valve.

Now im confused,does the line only version come with the phono inputs but no phono stage ect.

I'll phone glen i think and see what he says.

the amp i bought was advertised as having mm phono stage but mine is clearly line only.

Is it easy to add a phono stage to the croft? how much would this cost?

Stratmangler
15-04-2010, 15:33
The valve will be a double triode (ie 2 valves in one) to cope with L/R channels.
There is not a phono stage by the sound of it.

HighFidelityGuy
15-04-2010, 15:38
According to the Croft website it should have three valves, so I can only guess yours is the version without the phono stage. :doh: That's a bummer. :( I'd get in touch with Glen to see how much it costs to have one added. Hopefully it won't be too much seen as the whole thing including phono stage only costs £350 new. :)

AlanS
15-04-2010, 15:38
I have heard of people selling line only amps with phono inputs marked but they never used the phono input so it was sold in good faith.

kininigin
15-04-2010, 16:12
contacted the seller and he made a mistake.
He has offered full refund at his cost as glen isn't making any more at the moment,or
he can sell me a micro 25 for an extra £150 which i would jump at if i hadn't just spent £100 on a technics 1200.

Would i be mad not to take the micro 25?

The Grand Wazoo
15-04-2010, 16:32
How much is a half decent seperate phono stage + interconnects going to cost you?
I'd be willing to wager it'd be more than £150!
There'll be a warranty for that extra 150 too

Jonboy
15-04-2010, 17:02
Try the Cambridge phono stage, i know it is only solid state but it's good for the money

Here (http://www.richersounds.com/search/phono%20stage) is the link

Barry
15-04-2010, 17:18
I believe NAD make a stand alone phono stage (or maybe it's a just a cartridge amplifier, bringing up the voltage to line level), that costs around £60 and has had received good reviews.

Regards

kininigin
15-04-2010, 17:43
As chris says by the time i add cables to an half decent phonostage your looking at the best part of £150 so i think i'll just go with the micro 25.It's money i wasn't expecting to pay but i think in the long run it's a good deal.

dowser
16-04-2010, 08:17
Plus Glenn's phono stage is truly excellent, you'd need to spend a lot more than £150 to better it on a stand-alone stage. How much did you pay for the line only stage? I think the model you have is only £350 with a phono stage - try talking to hifi Dave before doing anything else - maybe a full refund on the one you have and buy one with phono from Dave if he has stock?

I valve is correct for the line only version - it has always been thus with Glenn's basic designs, keep it simple - my 1989 Micro II was recently fettled by Glenn to bring it's output stage up to latest spec, except I kept the tube reference instead of using a zener.

Richard

Richard