PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you get too old?

Gordon Steadman
14-10-2018, 08:52
I only visit here occasionally as my ears have reduced my enjoyment of the 'hi-fi' considerably even if not the music. Headphone rule most of the time for me now.

We are trying to thin out our possessions so that when we finally manage to sell our house out here, the move back to the UK (if Scotland is still a member) will be somewhat lighter.

So one of the hardest parts is trying to rationalise all the equipment that now gets looked at on the shelf and not used. My collecting days are well passed. This morning, I dismantled my favourite record deck. When I was younger, things that are a bit shall we say 'hair shirt' seemed worth all the trouble and little foibles were just part of the experience.

No more. I've reached the stage where I just want it to work, do its job and make music without any faff. I now have just one working record player. Direct drive, home made wooden arm and the Technics 205 of course. Sounds great, open the lid, bung on a record and listen to the music. Just having a lid is new for me but the cats have taken a liking to spinning for fun so it has advantages.

I have a few bits of Quad gear left but most other stuff has now been sold. I no longer miss it and wonder if the fulfilling of childhood wants was really a good reason to add to the clutter in our lives.

There was a time when I would have been horrified about abandoning all the rituals and paraphernalia that seems to be a normal part of what was a hobby and is now back to a way of listening to music.

I wonder how many of you who are approaching or who perhaps have even surpassed my great age have thought about how the ageing will affect you as far as you hi-fi is concerned. Will they let you have all the gear in the old folks home?:)

Puffin
14-10-2018, 09:07
I can relate to what you are saying Gordon. We recently had some work done to our house in readiness for a move at some stage. I cleared most of the loft and the vast space above the garage and can't count the number of car loads I took to the dump. However, there is one room that has not been touched.......yes my man cave (or if you are posh - sound proofed studio built in the garage)

It is mainly diy stuff that some looks ok and in nice enclosures, and some not :) (cough Cough) I. like you now just want it to work, do its job and make music without any faff. What do I do with all the bits gathering dust? They are not really saleable so do they get junked? I put a lot of hard work into these projects and they are only of value to me. A dilemma as we get older.

Pigmy Pony
14-10-2018, 09:26
I reckon the pursuit (collecting) of hi fi and music is, like other hobbies just a distraction from the harsh reality of our mortality, and when thoughts turn to 'what happens to this stuff when I'm gone?' it's not really doing its job anymore. So true the old saying 'It our possessions that end up possessing us'.

I know people say you can't take it with you, but if your speakers are big enough, maybe you can. Should cut down on funeral costs, and there'll be one for me and Mrs P. :)

jandl100
14-10-2018, 09:50
Well, for me, the onset of some hearing issues has perhaps temporarily resulted in an increase in my hifi collecting.

My beloved MBL speakers are taking a holiday and I am having a bit of speaker swapping fun while the old lug holes hopefully recover.

So far a KEF itch and a Podium itch are being scratched.

Oh and a whole passle of headphones, which seem far less affected by the hearing problems.

My friend Alan, sadly recently deceased at the tender age of 79 or 80, never lost the hifi bug, happily enjoying new gear in his final weeks.
I hope for a similar fate. :)

GrahamS
14-10-2018, 10:01
When we relocated to the UK twenty years ago, I found that the houses here had little space for the gear that I had brought with me. (Tannoys in Lancaster cabinets, Quad monoblocks, Revox r2r, and more) so I sold most of it. Over the years I replaced the Quad amps with a NAD integrated and a NAD CD player and a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers on stands. I left the turntable in the loft until recently, when a major sort out of the garage and loft dictated that I decide if I was keeping some of my vinyl collection or not. That resulted in the turntable being brought back into service, with a new pick-up cartridge and that meant a new phono stage with a digital output. That also meant a new set of floor-stander speakers.

Now I have finished sorting my vinyls and I have digitised the tracks that I want to access on my "listening device" (read iPhone) and what do I find in the back of the loft? Yep, a box containing over 500 pre-recorded musicassettes. Do I just ditch them or do I look for a tape deck that works? One of those cassettes is marked "Wedding speeches". Decision made - look for a tape deck. I found a Technics TR-474 mk2 for £20.00. After a frustrating week trying to get the head azimuth set, (I have never been exposed to swivelling heads before - a brilliant solution to a non-existent problem) I have a working deck but with very worn heads. Back to the evil bay. Once the musicassettes are sorted, I will offer the whole lot for sale - will anyone want them? In the meantime, I have had to come up to speed on the current hi-fi technology and I have had to re-validate my audiophile license. My best beloved is being very tolerant with all of this, as I don't have a man-cave, only my share of a small living room. My hearing is not what it was but it's good enough to appreciate the music as well as the equipment.

Now my son is asking why I don't "stream" my music, and has signed me up to Apple Music. When he treats us to a day out in his new car, or when my grandsons visit, everyone seems to be automatically connected to wi-fi and has music on tap. Something in my water says that this is a step too far. I just want to play my vinyl records in peace. No fuss, no wi-fi. No ear buds. Please.

jandl100
14-10-2018, 10:11
You've been talking to your offspring too much.

Vinyls.
Aaaaaargh. :eek: :nono: :lol:

Pigmy Pony
14-10-2018, 10:23
When it gets so I can't blow the fluff off the stylus without going into a coughing fit, I'll be ready to embrace streaming. :)

Gordon Steadman
14-10-2018, 10:41
Another age thing! Streaming:scratch:

The cloud in general leaves me cold. As we are talking about possessions, it seems pertinent. What happens when it goes down or disappears? No music, no documents, no photos!

I'll have a few possessions left ta!

jandl100
14-10-2018, 10:45
Old fogies.
Streaming is fab.

Says Jerry aged sixty two and a half :)

struth
14-10-2018, 10:49
Fortunately ive always bought cds as well as vinyl, so will always have those, and they are all ripped for convenience of listening. Vinyl will be going as i cant use the medium much now and the way things are going, it wont be at all soon alas. I do want to keep them of course but also need to use the cash raised to buy some adaptations for my geriatric old age;) my hearing is decent tho, but i do have tinitus plus due to cervical sponolosis i now hear my blood pumping; quite loud sometimes and irritating.
I still have far too much gear(mostly cd players and speakers upstairs that need to go sometime)the rest all went to keep me in food etc.

might add, i use tidal more than anything.

steve-z
14-10-2018, 10:58
Old fogies.
Streaming is fab.

Says Jerry aged sixty two and a half :)

Ditched CDs replay 12 years ago (although I still have 500+) after importing everything I had into iTunes on my 2 Macs, I never have and never will buy downloads 🤬, love my vinyl still, I’ve got 2 turntables, streaming for me is a last resort and only if it’s free, so I have to put up with adverts as well as low bit MP3s.
Steve (66 next month [emoji53])

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gordon Steadman
14-10-2018, 11:35
Ah well, you are obviously all still youngsters and into all these latest trendy thangs.

I'm 71 (and a half) and well into my dotage.

Sherwood
14-10-2018, 11:45
One symptom is that you start complaining about how rubbish modern music is and only listen to music from your youth.

For me, one of the great advantages of streaming services such as Tidal is that I can check out new artists and new recordings to find new favourites.

Listen to at least one new album a day to keep the "old fogey" at bay! :wheniwasaboy::wheniwasaboy::wheniwasaboy::wheniwa saboy: :deceased:

jandl100
14-10-2018, 12:03
^ Absolutely.

Online streaming via Qobuz (my fave) or Tidal or Spotify is a staggeringly wonderful way to explore new music/recordings. :yay:

GrahamS
14-10-2018, 12:03
One symptom is that you start complaining about how rubbish modern music is and only listen to music from your youth.

For me, one of the great advantages of streaming services such as Tidal is that I can check out new artists and new recordings to find new favourites.

Listen to at least one new album a day to keep the "old fogey" at bay! :wheniwasaboy::wheniwasaboy::wheniwasaboy::wheniwa saboy: :deceased:

Good grief, Sir, I have searched in vain for a translation program for these "new album" lyrics. Don't understand any of it.....

hifinutt
14-10-2018, 12:48
i visited a very big old nursing home yesterday , they even have a sensory room where you can go and listen to music . you can have what you like in your room so i am sure a small hi fi will be just fine when you reach that stage :)

Pigmy Pony
14-10-2018, 12:57
i visited a very big old nursing home yesterday , they even have a sensory room where you can go and listen to music . you can have what you like in your room so i am sure a small hi fi will be just fine when you reach that stage :)

Balls to that, I ain't going nowhere without my Zu floorstanders! Maybe I would 'donate' them to the care home's day room, along with my REL sub. That should get the residents moving. Who needs prunes?

Pigmy Pony
14-10-2018, 13:05
Another age thing! Streaming:scratch:

The cloud in general leaves me cold. As we are talking about possessions, it seems pertinent. What happens when it goes down or disappears? No music, no documents, no photos!

I'll have a few possessions left ta!

I'm with you there Gordon - what if someone stole the cloud, and we had to pay a big ransom to get it back? These Russkys are into everything these days, and they would have no difficulty hiding a cloud. Country is huge.

And even if caught with it in their possession, they would just say the wind blew it their way. No accountability see?

flapland
14-10-2018, 13:43
I do consider making sure all the more valuable LP's are listed so those who inherit them don't get ripped off. Hopefully a good few years away yet.

Mind you I learnt yesterday that Madness Baggy Trousers release date is nearer to the end of WW2 than it is too today. Actual half way point is currently 25th March 1982.

hifinutt
14-10-2018, 13:48
Balls to that, I ain't going nowhere without my Zu floorstanders! Maybe I would 'donate' them to the care home's day room, along with my REL sub. That should get the residents moving. Who needs prunes?

ha... you might be pushing your luck with the zu`s !!!!

Sherwood
14-10-2018, 14:05

They say you can't take it with you! However, with some woodworking you might not need to buy a coffin! :deceased:

Mixc
14-10-2018, 15:09
You've been talking to your offspring too much.

Vinyls.
Aaaaaargh. :eek: :nono: :lol:

Aaaaaarghhh Thats what i thought too. ;o)

Audio Al
14-10-2018, 16:04
If I joined my Ram 400s end to end I may just fit , Now thats a thought :hmm: before the time comes :deceased:

paulf-2007
14-10-2018, 16:08
Jeez, fellas, I'm about to take early retirement at 64 and it does make me think about how much time I might have left, I don't reminding. :)
I must say I am looking at thinning out possessions of all kinds, I feel if I don't now I may not be able in the future. Don't fancy being buried alive.

walpurgis
14-10-2018, 16:34
Blimey, the place is full of doom laden old codgers. :D

Firebottle
14-10-2018, 17:09
Not me mate, I'm still adding bits and pieces ..........

hifinutt
14-10-2018, 17:12
Jeez, fellas, I'm about to take early retirement at 64 and it does make me think about how much time I might have left, I don't reminding. :)
I must say I am looking at thinning out possessions of all kinds, I feel if I don't now I may not be able in the future. Don't fancy being buried alive.

make sure you have plenty of cash , we are about to have 2 parents in a care home at a total cost of around 90k a year with a very high proportion of that self funded !!!!

[one 52k pa one 37k pa ]

walpurgis
14-10-2018, 17:14

You are a mere 'yoof' Alan! ;)

struth
14-10-2018, 17:24
make sure you have plenty of cash , we are about to have 2 parents in a care home at a total cost of around 90k a year with a very high proportion of that self funded !!!!

[one 52k pa one 37k pa ]

good luck with that... i'll get sent to the workhouse i think. guess i better just keep pretending im able to manage if asked the question. No-one will spend that on me thats for sure.:(

Barry
14-10-2018, 17:26

Me too!

Not me. My partner is African, and there they look after their aged parents at home. So when it all get too much. we'll decamp to Africa and live out our days there. All I'll need is a UPS so as be assured of a reliable power supply to run the hi-fi. :lol:

Pigmy Pony
14-10-2018, 18:34

[one 52k pa one 37k pa ]

I don't get where they get these costs from, I reckon they think of a number then double it. If say, a home has 20 residents, then all the costs would be divided by 20 (the staff (mostly part timers on minimum wage), and some running costs. Obviously these costs amount to a fair bit, but with an income of £1.5 million or so the bosses must be raking it in.

For a lot less they surely could have a live-in help in their own home. Parents could keep their home and that 87k pa could easily cover wages, especially with free accommodation thrown in.

Wakefield Turntables
14-10-2018, 19:04
To answer the original question of the thread, logically, we die. Sorry for stating the obvious :sofa:.

hifinutt
15-10-2018, 09:07
I don't get where they get these costs from, I reckon they think of a number then double it. If say, a home has 20 residents, then all the costs would be divided by 20 (the staff (mostly part timers on minimum wage), and some running costs. Obviously these costs amount to a fair bit, but with an income of £1.5 million or so the bosses must be raking it in.

For a lot less they surely could have a live-in help in their own home. Parents could keep their home and that 87k pa could easily cover wages, especially with free accommodation thrown in.

well , i am surprised they can do it at these costs . one home one parent was in had to close down in devon as they could not afford the 50k costs for a new roof on an old place in torre. you have hoists , call bells . listed buildings , staff costs , marketing . it all adds up

would absolutely love to care for these guys at home but their needs are so much it would overwhelm you in days and you can`t just convert your home in days to accommodate these needs and we have tried home care packages for past 6 weeks with a huge amount of stress , with different carers , blister packs etc etc. its a 70 mile round trip to supervise them all and then they still are on their own for many hours at night and at risk of falls etc

Sherwood
15-10-2018, 09:47

The reality is that health and social care costs much more than most people realise: much, much more! In many industries, technological advances and the substitution of capital (equipment) for labour, has brought about huge improvements in productivity and a reduction in unit costs. Long term social care is highly labour intensive due to the need for 24 hour cover and high staffing ratios. Apart from labour costs, the basic "hotel" costs of accomodation, maintenance, laundry, catering, cleaning and utilities are considerable. One only has to reflect on what it costs per night to stay in even the most basic b&b to see that at least 20k to 30k of the annual costs of residential care will be taken up by such costs, even before factoring in the higher costs of special needs. Unlike other industries, long term residential care is not amenable to cost savings borne of economies of scale.

Of course, it is galling to see so much of provision being outsourced to "dubious" private providers who rip off their employees and focus more on satisfying their shareholders than their charges!

Geoff

Macca
15-10-2018, 12:15
I don't know about nowadays but one of my uncles was in the granny farming business in the 1980s and 1990s and it was a licence to print money. And his places were not the crappy ones where they beat them up and lock them in their rooms either.

Okay so he did spend his final few years hiding out in Cyprus whilst on the run from the FBI, but that's a whole other story.

paulf-2007
15-10-2018, 13:52
Me and the wife are off to Switzerland when our quality of life is no longer worth living.

Macca
15-10-2018, 14:26
Come on now, Switzerland's not that bad!

Barry
15-10-2018, 17:54
Come on now, Switzerland's not that bad!

But it's not in the EU. However it is expensive to live there.

walpurgis
15-10-2018, 18:05
I think the idea is to live there very briefly only.

Barry
15-10-2018, 18:10
I think the idea is to live there very briefly only.

Yes I know. I was being perverse.

Pigmy Pony
15-10-2018, 18:33
Any-wayyy,

I'll be leaving all my crap to Mrs. P (she's 11 years younger, so there's a good chance I'll peg it first). She'll almost certainly sell it on, but I know there won't be any bargains as she's a tough negotiator and tight as a ducks arse.

CageyH
15-10-2018, 18:38
My take on the original question is that you no longer worry about fickle things like HiFi, and just enjoy life.
I think I am. Dry close to a different stage in my life where I have a HiFi that produces a sound I enjoy when I listen to music and I am very likely to leave it alone for a number of years and just enjoy the music it creates.

Stratmangler
15-10-2018, 18:42
Any-wayyy,

I'll be leaving all my crap to Mrs. P (she's 11 years younger, so there's a good chance I'll peg it first). She'll almost certainly sell it on, but I know there won't be any bargains as she's a tough negotiator and tight as a ducks arse.

I'll bet she sells everything for less than what you told her you paid for it.

Sherwood
15-10-2018, 18:47
Any-wayyy,

Of course, her new toy boy may be interested in keeping it once you're gone! ;)

Pigmy Pony
15-10-2018, 18:56
She'll never find one who ticks all the boxes, I've set the bar too high :)

And even if she did, and he took an interest in my stuff, she'd just go "Oh no I'm not going through that again!" and turf him out.

paulf-2007
15-10-2018, 19:12
But it's not in the EU. However it is expensive to live there.
I think it's quite expensive to die there too

Pigmy Pony
15-10-2018, 19:33
I saw a programme with two guys base jumping in Switzerland. All you need to do is copy them, but without the parachute. Cheap enough.

Mike Reed
16-10-2018, 14:53
Missed this thread, which seems to have meandered darkly into realms of nursing homes and suchlike; I took the o.p. as age v dealing with one's kit, maybe erroneously. I have also had to face things these last couple of years, as age ( nearly 78) and eyesight etc. put the fear of God into changing and setting up expensive cart's.

The tuner and CD complement is no prob., but vinyl is a different kettle of fish, what with stylus cleaning, cueing and stuff, quite apart from setting up on two arms. Wonder how long I've got as there's no way I'm introducing new (digital) formats at my time of life, as I never tire of the music I have or that which the 01 gives me. I guess I'll have to call on the services of my local dealer friend, who analysed my set-up during an all day bake-off on Saturday. Sophisticated software, banded record, instructions (it was fairly new to him) and lap-top. It found a number of minor discrepancies but none of concern.

As my vinyl is generally superior to my CD replay (and largely because of the CD software rather than the kit), even with my knackered ears, I shall have no choice but to persevere with it

Barry
16-10-2018, 15:29
As vinyl-loving audiophiles, this is the most appropriate thing to do post mortem: https://scattering-ashes.co.uk/product-news/meet-your-maker/ashes-put-vinyl-record/ :D

Mike Reed
16-10-2018, 16:56
As vinyl-loving audiophiles, this is the most appropriate thing to do post mortem: https://scattering-ashes.co.uk/product-news/meet-your-maker/ashes-put-vinyl-record/ :D

The quality of new vinyl is already bad enough.........

Pigmy Pony
16-10-2018, 19:44
On my 'ashes' record I want:

Burning Love - Elvis
Disco Inferno The Trammps
Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
When I'm Dead And Gone - McGuiness Flint
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes - Platters
Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie

hal55
17-10-2018, 13:33
I'll be 63 soon and, though hifi has been a great fun part of life's journey, I'm at that stage where i want to enjoy it, but not let it take over my life any longer. I have a lovely Technics SP10 sitting in the corner beside me, which I never touch these days and frankly, I'm only keeping it to provide funds when the day arrives that I need another camera body, photography being my other great hobby and much enjoyment is still had shooting powerboat racing and the Cosplay sci-fi dress up scene.
Half my listening these days is via headphones and I could easily switch to them fully if necessary. having said that, I still own my Heybrook 3s, World Audio Design 25ts, and, in the slowest design and build ever, I'll finally complete my Seas/Fountek bookshelf speakers next year. Far too much time and money (all of it) has gone into the new retirement house and garden to allow finishing them this year.
I still enjoy hifi, but on my terms now, Im not a slave to it any longer, and I'm rather envious of the current generation that can achieve great sound economically. if someone asked my advice today I'd say just get a capable soundbar for the living room and invest $1000 into a capable DAC/amp and headphones, preferably planar headphones (I use Hifiman 400s happily plus a couple of others,) and if the Headphone amp can have a few tubes all the better. Past that I really wouldn't recommend anything.

Macca
17-10-2018, 13:36
I'd never recommend headphones to anyone. Some small active speakers maybe.

Pigmy Pony
17-10-2018, 15:54
I'd never recommend headphones to anyone. Some small active speakers maybe.

+1. The dramatic in-head stereo of headphones is quite entertaining, but I much prefer the feeling of sharing a space with the music and balls to the neighbours. If they don't like the music I can always lend them my 'phones. Also I like to feel the music when I turn the wick up. :)

struth
17-10-2018, 16:08
One should always consider ones neighbors .. just so that they should consider you(as with ones family); there lies peace, harmony and love...
Only selfish folk consider themselves only.

Headphones can be a superb way to listen,

Macca
17-10-2018, 17:08
I agree with being considerate but reducing your listening to headphones only because of the neighbours is a step too far. You're legally entitled to play as loud as you want from 10 am to 11 pm. Not that I do it often but I reserve the right to blast it out if I feel like it any time from 1100 up to 2200. If the neighbours are so sensitive to other peoples' noise they should buy a detached house. Or kill themselves.

Audio Al
17-10-2018, 17:11
I agree with being considerate but reducing your listening to headphones only because of the neighbours is a step too far. You're legally entitled to play as loud as you want from 10 am to 11 pm. Not that I do it often but I reserve the right to blast it out if I feel like it any time from 1100 up to 2200. If the neighbours are so sensitive to other peoples' noise they should buy a detached house. Or kill themselves.

:lol::D

Pigmy Pony
17-10-2018, 17:25
One should always consider ones neighbors .. just so that they should consider you(as with ones family); there lies peace, harmony and love...
Only selfish folk consider themselves only.

Headphones can be a superb way to listen,

Only kidding Grant, I'm lucky enough to live in a detached bungalow, and my stereo can't go loud enough to bother the neighbours. The motorbikes on a Sunday morning might be a different story, but then I've done a few jobs my neighbour's too old to tackle so we get on well.

Pigmy Pony
17-10-2018, 17:33
Back in the eighties, when visiting my parents' house (a semi detached), it was often when 'Bruce's Play Your Cards Right', and I could clearly hear the old feller next door shouting "Higher! Higher!....you silly sod, I told you to go higher!"

And no doubt he was aware of my mum's Ditton 15XR's a couple of feet from where he was sitting.:D

Macca
17-10-2018, 18:00
Talking about deaf we used to have an old boy in the street, a few doors down from me and right next door to my mate's house. Forget his name now, it's 20 odd years ago. He'd been in the 1st world war so he must have been in his nineties. I'd be round there and you would hear the Coronation Street theme tune so loud through the wall that you couldn't hear yourself speak. He had a dog, a Border Collie, that would bark and he'd shout 'Shut up yer bugger!' and the wall would shake. It's a wonder the dog wasn't deaf too.

Only spoke to him once, his Potteries' dialect was so obscure I had no idea what he was saying to me but the whole street must have heard it.

Gordon Steadman
17-10-2018, 18:04
Whilst I agree that good speakers (I have Quad 57s) are much preferable to headphones, some of us don't have the choice. Unless I sit about a foot from the speakers, I can no longer hear them properly and even then Ronnie complains that it's giving her a headache.

For me, headphones are essential for the full enjoyment of music. No doubt at the level I need, I am doing further damage but it's probably a bit late to worry about it.

Pigmy Pony
17-10-2018, 19:06
I'm curious to know what the current crop of hearing aids sound like for listening to a good hi fi, and whether they would be the weak link, considering they can easily cost a four figure sum.

Mike Reed
18-10-2018, 16:46
I'm curious to know what the current crop of hearing aids sound like for listening to a good hi fi, and whether they would be the weak link, considering they can easily cost a four figure sum.

As I've been referred and have done a bit of research (Hidden Hearing dem., e.g.) I can say that I was gobsmacked; both at the performance and the eye-watering price. Still don't think I could listen through another set of amplification though, however good. I'm a simple soul !

Pigmy Pony
18-10-2018, 17:05
My thoughts too - after all the effort (money) spent getting a good sound to pass from your speakers to your ears, you then put a load more gubbins in the way. Although hearing aids will make it louder, even the best (most expensive ones) are bound to alter the sound to some degree.

Best solution - turn up the volume!

Mike, I don't know what make of speakers you have in your avatar, but they are monstrous! (in a good way). I bet even your neighbours have no difficulty hearing them :D

Mike Reed
18-10-2018, 20:21
Mike, I don't know what make of speakers you have in your avatar, but they are monstrous! (in a good way). I bet even your neighbours have no difficulty hearing them :D

They were ProAc Response Fours; all 133kg EACH of them. Apart from the fact that they were an accident waiting to happen as I got older and weaker and tried to fettle them, I fancied trying ESLs. A little over 5 years ago I bought a local pair of 57s and liked what they did, but they didn't do the scale I was used to. Audio Emotion in Scotland advertised a nearly new pair of 2905s in 'Classique' finish (most unusual and dearer) a few weeks later and that was that ! Not only the transparency of ESLs but scale aplenty; bass too, though obviously not up to the ProAcs.

One of these days I should change my avatar and put some pic's on. I did try earlier in the year but failed. However, I couldn't get my cat (who was a lot younger then) to sit on my 2905s, so maybe I'll keep the avatar as is. :)
http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww195/Yungiloo/SNOW%20%20ALL%20NEW%20PICs%20of%20HIFILIVING%20ROO M%20061_zpsrhrb6wdq.jpg (http://s719.photobucket.com/user/Yungiloo/media/SNOW%20%20ALL%20NEW%20PICs%20of%20HIFILIVING%20ROO M%20061_zpsrhrb6wdq.jpg.html)

Neighbours some way away, although gardens adjoin.

Sherwood
18-10-2018, 21:40
Whilst I agree that good speakers (I have Quad 57s) are much preferable to headphones, some of us don't have the choice. Unless I sit about a foot from the speakers, I can no longer hear them properly and even then Ronnie complains that it's giving her a headache.

For me, headphones are essential for the full enjoyment of music. No doubt at the level I need, I am doing further damage but it's probably a bit late to worry about it.

I posted this link on a similar thread recently but given the number of members who have reported less than perfect hearing, this may be worth investigating. Even if they are not audiophile (I don't know) the fact that they adapt to one's hearing may be a way of compensating for hearing loss.

https://www.nuraphone.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInIj5xPmQ3gIVjrDtCh0QJwgoEAAYAiA AEgJo_vD_BwE

Geoff

walpurgis
18-10-2018, 21:52
I am significantly hearing impaired, but I'm so used to it I don't notice most of the time and still enjoy my Hi-Fi.

Pigmy Pony
19-10-2018, 06:23
I am significantly hearing impaired, but I'm so used to it I don't notice most of the time and still enjoy my Hi-Fi.

Hear Hear! :)

Pigmy Pony
19-10-2018, 06:35
I posted this link on a similar thread recently but given the number of members who have reported less than perfect hearing, this may be worth investigating. Even if they are not audiophile (I don't know) the fact that they adapt to one's hearing may be a way of compensating for hearing loss.

https://www.nuraphone.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInIj5xPmQ3gIVjrDtCh0QJwgoEAAYAiA AEgJo_vD_BwE

Geoff

Most intriguing Geoff, I missed this link first time round.

Price seems quite good especially as they are noise cancelling. I am curious about how they would perform, although at the moment 'phones are not for me as plenty of times I want to feel the music as well as hear it, also I don't want my family (and passers by) to miss out. :) Maybe that'll all change if I get bunged in a care home or something.

Perhaps someone on the forum will do a 'try before you buy', and that would make interesting reading.

struth
19-10-2018, 09:04
amazon sell them and you get to return them if you dont like

mikecole
20-10-2018, 03:37
Interesting thread as I am going thru the same type of thing. I will be 65 next year and hopefully able to retire. We will be moving to smaller quarters and simplifying. I am already planning on retiring my main system and just living with a desktop system since I am usually on the computer when I listen to music anyway. I am searching for a single box that will do everything, but have not found anything quite yet. Currently I have all separates - Border Patrol DAC, Schiit Audio Magni 3 for headphone listening and my Croft Integrated feeding a tiny pair of Audience The One speakers. If I could replace all the boxes and cables, I would be a happy camper. I doubt a one box solution will ever sound as good as this, but I have found that when doing something else mildly occupying my attention (such as surfing the web), the music always sounds good. I am guessing that just listening to the music and forgetting about the sound of the music would make make having these separates a moot point. Not *completely* sure of that though :-) I may try out a Creek Evo100a since it has everything I would ever need and is small and simple. Stereo does not seem quite that important anymore, but at the same time I have a hard time erasing the last vestiges of audiophilia. My rational mind says let go, but the emotional side of me says NO. Oh well, I will see what happens when the time comes. Besides, having something nice and simple will be helpful as my mind deteriorates.

struth
20-10-2018, 04:51
Interesting thread as I am going thru the same type of thing. I will be 65 next year and hopefully able to retire. We will be moving to smaller quarters and simplifying. I am already planning on retiring my main system and just living with a desktop system since I am usually on the computer when I listen to music anyway. I am searching for a single box that will do everything, but have not found anything quite yet. Currently I have all separates - Border Patrol DAC, Schiit Audio Magni 3 for headphone listening and my Croft Integrated feeding a tiny pair of Audience The One speakers. If I could replace all the boxes and cables, I would be a happy camper. I doubt a one box solution will ever sound as good as this, but I have found that when doing something else mildly occupying my attention (such as surfing the web), the music always sounds good. I am guessing that just listening to the music and forgetting about the sound of the music would make make having these separates a moot point. Not *completely* sure of that though :-) I may try out a Creek Evo100a since it has everything I would ever need and is small and simple. Stereo does not seem quite that important anymore, but at the same time I have a hard time erasing the last vestiges of audiophilia. My rational mind says let go, but the emotional side of me says NO. Oh well, I will see what happens when the time comes. Besides, having something nice and simple will be helpful as my mind deteriorates.

Suppose a pair of Bluetooth active speakers from qacoustic and a dac/headphone amp connected to pc would be closest. Ive got both and have to say I could if I had to, happily survive with them

Gordon Steadman
20-10-2018, 05:05
My rational mind says let go, but the emotional side of me says NO. Oh well, I will see what happens when the time comes. Besides, having something nice and simple will be helpful as my mind deteriorates.

Ah yes indeed.

I too now listen mostly to the Mac. I have even dumped the external DAC and feed the amp - an old Rogers Ravensbrook - from the Mac's headphone socket. Although not so hi-fi, I feel more involved with the music in spite of the fact that it's still digits. Who knows why?

Letting go is the hard bit. After building up a nice collection of some of the things I lusted after as a young man, they are now sitting on a shelf unused. Every time I decide to sell them, part of me says "you'll regret it". Most of them still sit there! I've managed to lighten the load a little but quite how I will ever part with the Quad and Sugden stuff, especially the 57s, I'm not sure.

paulf-2007
20-10-2018, 08:37
I saw a programme with two guys base jumping in Switzerland. All you need to do is copy them, but without the parachute. Cheap enough.
Sounds like a plan. Enjoy the drop.

struth
20-10-2018, 09:11
Sounds like a plan. Enjoy the drop.

yeah and you can be buried in a magnaplaner:lol:

hifi_dave
20-10-2018, 09:46
Letting go is the hard bit. After building up a nice collection of some of the things I lusted after as a young man, they are now sitting on a shelf unused. Every time I decide to sell them, part of me says "you'll regret it". Most of them still sit there! I've managed to lighten the load a little but quite how I will ever part with the Quad and Sugden stuff, especially the 57s, I'm not sure.

I had a loft, literally full, with vintage Hi-Fi. The past two years I managed to offload most of the stuff I had no real interest in but I still have a huge amount of stuff to move on. I have kept gear I used to own and gear I lusted after and could never afford, back in the day - Quad 33/303, 22/II, Radford STA15, Radford monos, 301, 401, TD124, G99, various SME 3009 and 3012, Revox G36, F36, McIntosh tuners etc, etc. I can't let go..:doh:

walpurgis
20-10-2018, 09:57
I had a loft, literally full, with vintage Hi-Fi

So did I. All gone now apart from a boxed Pioneer turntable that I've not even seen for about ten years. PL-15R if I recall.

hifinutt
20-10-2018, 10:38

mmm at 65 you potentially have till over 100 so might be a very very long time till your mind deteriotes !!

Sherwood
20-10-2018, 10:48
Although it is not quite the one box solution I can strongly recommend this. It is effectively a DAC and amp in one box. Very compact and runs cold so easy to place.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?59028-FS-Nuforce-DDA-100-Digital-Integrated-Amplifier&highlight=nuforce

Surprisingly powerful too.

Geoff

mikecole
20-10-2018, 13:30
mmm at 65 you potentially have till over 100 so might be a very very long time till your mind deteriotes !!

At the rate I am forgetting crap, I will be virtually mindless by the time I am 80 - and ready for that trip to Switzerland ... if I remember to go :scratch:

mikecole
20-10-2018, 13:37
Suppose a pair of Bluetooth active speakers from qacoustic and a dac/headphone amp connected to pc would be closest. Ive got both and have to say I could if I had to, happily survive with them

I could even go one better and throw the DAC/headphone amp into the speakers also. I was actually entertaining the thought of getting a pair of these: https://feniksaudio.com/

struth
20-10-2018, 13:45
£1200 tho.. the q's have an optical in as well as bluetooth and 2 analogues. damn sight cheaper too, and quite good sounding/ can also take a sub:)

Pigmy Pony
20-10-2018, 16:08
£1200 tho.. the q's have an optical in as well as bluetooth and 2 analogues. damn sight cheaper too, and quite good sounding/ can also take a sub:)

I would put the ability to connect a sub high on my list of requirements - downsizing the speakers without one may be a step too far for me.