PDA

View Full Version : My New Maggies

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 18:22
I spent a few enjoyable hours with Paul & Wendy at Hifi Lounge on Tuesday listening to the .7 and 1.7 Maggies

I went to purchase the 1.7’s but asked Paul if I could start with the .7’s so that when we swapped to the 1.7’s I would be bowled over by them

Paul had the .7 already set up and playing when I arrived and I absolutely loved their sound, I was quite amazed by them and was immediately addicted

If the .7’s were anything to go by I thought I’m in for a real treat when we swap to the 1.7’s

However, I am so surprised by this, I actually preferred the sound of the .7’s

My head kept saying the 1.7’s must be better as they are larger, heavier and more expensive, so I tried very hard to like them but I just couldn't gel with them

If I had listened to my head I would have walked out with the 1.7’s which is what I went to purchase

So I analysed what my head was telling me. Then I thought if I purchased the 1.7’s would I think I’d made a mistake and the answer was ‘yes’ and I would always have the feeling that I would forever miss the coherent, engaging and utterly addictive sound the .7’s have :eek:

We swapped speakers a few more times just to make sure and this time listened to my heart instead and wholeheartedly decided the .7’s sounded ‘special’ to me. Paul prefers the .7’s so I’m not alone

The 1.7 is supposed to have more bass than the .7 but I didn’t experience any lack of bass on the .7’s

So after a lot of head and heart searching, with the complete sea change I was having, I just had to have the .7’s

As the .7’s are smallish, for Maggies, they are probably more suited to the available space I have for them. I guess most people would still call them huge and ugly but I think they are quite cute

As Paul does not hold stock of Maggies they are being delivered to me tomorrow

I have to say Paul & Wendy run a lovely place with absolutely no pressure selling and the time to spend with you as well as leaving you to listen by yourself. I would recommend anyone to pay them a visit, the coffee is nice to :D

Sherwood
11-10-2018, 19:04
I spent a few enjoyable hours with Paul & Wendy at Hifi Lounge on Tuesday listening to the .7 and 1.7 Maggies

I went to purchase the 1.7’s but asked Paul if I could start with the .7’s so that when we swapped to the 1.7’s I would be bowled over by them

Paul had the .7 already set up and playing when I arrived and I absolutely loved their sound, I was quite amazed by them and was immediately addicted

If the .7’s were anything to go by I thought I’m in for a real treat when we swap to the 1.7’s

However, I am so surprised by this, I actually preferred the sound of the .7’s

My head kept saying the 1.7’s must be better as they are larger, heavier and more expensive, so I tried very hard to like them but I just couldn't gel with them

If I had listened to my head I would have walked out with the 1.7’s which is what I went to purchase

So I analysed what my head was telling me. Then I thought if I purchased the 1.7’s would I think I’d made a mistake and the answer was ‘yes’ and I would always have the feeling that I would forever miss the coherent, engaging and utterly addictive sound the .7’s have :eek:

We swapped speakers a few more times just to make sure and this time listened to my heart instead and wholeheartedly decided the .7’s sounded ‘special’ to me. Paul prefers the .7’s so I’m not alone

The 1.7 is supposed to have more bass than the .7 but I didn’t experience any lack of bass on the .7’s

So after a lot of head and heart searching, with the complete sea change I was having, I just had to have the .7’s

As the .7’s are smallish, for Maggies, they are probably more suited to the available space I have for them. I guess most people would still call them huge and ugly but I think they are quite cute

As Paul does not hold stock of Maggies they are being delivered to me tomorrow

I have to say Paul & Wendy run a lovely place with absolutely no pressure selling and the time to spend with you as well as leaving you to listen by yourself. I would recommend anyone to pay them a visit, the coffee is nice to :D

There is no escape from the cult! :wowzer:

I thought the .7s might be more suited to your needs. Let me know if you need any pointers on setting them up. There are a few tricks to improving stability without having to spend silly money on bespoke stands.

Geoff

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 19:07
There is no escape from the cult! :wowzer:

I thought the .7s might be more suited to your needs. Let me know if you need any pointers on setting them up. There are a few tricks to improving stability without having to spend silly money on bespoke stands.

Geoff

Absolutely Geoff

Can I ask why you thought the .7's might be more suited to me ?

I can't wait to get the Maggies, like a kid with a new toy I am :eek:

Gaz
11-10-2018, 19:11
Um sorry for my ignorance, I'm new here, but what is a Maggie?

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 19:14

Ooops sorry Gary but it's short for Magneplanar/Magnepan speakers

walpurgis
11-10-2018, 19:16

Magnaplanar. Isodynamic planar (dipole) speakers.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2w722rp.jpg

Pigmy Pony
11-10-2018, 19:21
Very nice (and all too rare) to prefer the cheaper option! And respect for not just assuming the more expensive ones must be better. No doubt you're already thinking about what to buy with the money saved! :D

Sherwood
11-10-2018, 19:21
Absolutely Geoff

Can I ask why you thought the .7's might be more suited to me ?

I can't wait to get the Maggies, like a kid with a new toy I am :eek:

Two reasons.

The .7s are easier to drive than the 1.7s. As I have said (ad nauseum) they need a very powerful amp to sound good. If not driven properly they can sound harsh and grainy. Even some very powerful high current amps don't work well with Maggies. I found that the .7s were a bit more forgiving amp wise and were less likely to cause the clipping that makes the 1.7s sound poor. Out of interest, what amp was used for the demo?

Space. You mentioned that your room was not that large. The 1.7's need much more space around them to perform optimally. It is not just rear walls and side walls that have to be considered, but also ceilings. The bigger Maggies also benefit from higher ceilings.

Don't be too disappointed if the new speakers sound very harsh out of the box. I have found they need a couple of weeks of intensive use to "loosen" up the ribbons.

Geoff

Gaz
11-10-2018, 19:25
Ooops sorry Gary but it's short for Magneplanar/Magnepan speakers

Thank you

Gaz
11-10-2018, 19:26
Magnaplanar. Isodynamic planar (dipole) speakers.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2w722rp.jpg

Mrs Gaz would never allow those in the house unless she could hang curtains from them (yes that would include screwing curtain poles into the wood) :doh:

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 19:27
Very nice (and all too rare) to prefer the cheaper option! And respect for not just assuming the more expensive ones must be better. No doubt you're already thinking about what to buy with the money saved! :D

Exactly Steve, the 'cheaper' ones just sounded better to me and I tried so hard to like the bigger more expensive version but in the end my heart ruled and the smaller ones just 'did it' for me... they are magical sounding

The money saved will stay in the bank and I will just buy more music with it :D

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 19:38
Mrs Gaz would never allow those in the house unless she could hang curtains from them (yes that would include screwing curtain poles into the wood) :doh:

I guess I'm lucky that I live alone and only have to please myself and sound quality is much more important than what a speaker looks like, however I actually like the look of Maggies

When I first saw the Maggie .7 I actually commented on how small they were, for Maggies that is, they 'only' measure 15 inches wide by 54 inches high.. positively tiny by Maggie standards.. here's a picture of the actual speakers I listened to and purchased:

http://i.imgur.com/QCMl2xI.jpg (https://imgur.com/QCMl2xI)

Curtain poles screwed to them just wouldn't cut it :doh: :rfl:

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 19:47
Two reasons.

The .7s are easier to drive than the 1.7s. As I have said (ad nauseum) they need a very powerful amp to sound good. If not driven properly they can sound harsh and grainy. Even some very powerful high current amps don't work well with Maggies. I found that the .7s were a bit more forgiving amp wise and were less likely to cause the clipping that makes the 1.7s sound poor. Out of interest, what amp was used for the demo?

Space. You mentioned that your room was not that large. The 1.7's need much more space around them to perform optimally. It is not just rear walls and side walls that have to be considered, but also ceilings. The bigger Maggies also benefit from higher ceilings.

Don't be too disappointed if the new speakers sound very harsh out of the box. I have found they need a couple of weeks of intensive use to "loosen" up the ribbons.

Geoff

I absolutely agree the .7 is much easier to drive; I did notice having to turn the amp up higher for the 1.7's to be at the same sound level as the .7's

As you say my room is not large but the room where I listened to both speakers at Pauls was not tiny and I still prefered the .7s' and the ceiling was quite high as well; as you've been to Paul's you probably know the room, it was the upstairs dem room

I've heard that they do take a little while to loosen up so I'm not expecting them to sound the same initially as the well broken in ones I listened to

Sherwood
11-10-2018, 19:59

How about some floral covers instead? :rolleyes:

jandl100
11-10-2018, 20:05
Well done, Bev - congrats on your new speakers. :cheers:

Pigmy Pony
11-10-2018, 20:06
I guess I'm lucky that I live alone and only have to please myself and sound quality is much more important than what a speaker looks like, however I actually like the look of Maggies

When I first saw the Maggie .7 I actually commented on how small they were, for Maggies that is, they 'only' measure 15 inches wide by 54 inches high.. positively tiny by Maggie standards.. here's a picture of the actual speakers I listened to and purchased:

http://i.imgur.com/QCMl2xI.jpg (https://imgur.com/QCMl2xI)

Curtain poles screwed to them just wouldn't cut it :doh: :rfl:

If you fitted venetian blinds you could adjust them to suit your seating height.

STD305M
11-10-2018, 20:09
Congratulations on your choice.
I'm saving for a pair of the .7s myself.
Much preferred the sound
Glorious speakers.

Steve...

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 20:13
If you fitted venetian blinds you could adjust them to suit your seating height.

I never thought of that Steve, I might give that a go..... :doh:

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 20:14
Congratulations on your choice.
I'm saving for a pair of the .7s myself.
Much preferred the sound
Glorious speakers.

Steve...

Thanks Steve...

Have you listened to both the 1.7 & .7 ?

STD305M
11-10-2018, 20:18
Hi
Yes i listened to both but still preferred the .7s
Only ever listened to them in a show room which is less than ideal but i still liked what i heard.
Not too long till I've saved enough to get them :)

Ninanina
11-10-2018, 20:21
Hi
Yes i listened to both but still preferred the .7s
Only ever listened to them in a show room which is less than ideal but i still liked what i heard.
Not too long till I've saved enough to get them :)

It's strange isn't it as you expect the more expensive, larger and heavier ones to sound better but to me they just didn't

I would highly recommend Paul & Wendy at HiFi Lounge to purchase the Maggies from. I know it's a bit of a journey, as it was from me here in Portsmouth, but probably worth it in the long run.. Lovely people to deal with :)

STD305M
11-10-2018, 20:25
Thanks for the heads up.
Im probably an hour closer:thumbsup:
Just wondering, did you get any discount???

Steve.

jandl100
11-10-2018, 20:30
I've only heard the 1.7, not the .7, and I was seriously impressed.
That was at a show and while I can't recall the amp I do remember thinking that it looked like it weighed half a ton!

I shall have to get a listen to some .7 sometime.

Frazeur1
12-10-2018, 11:05
Congrats Nina, enjoy! During my years with Maggie’s, I too liked the smaller paneled MMG utilizing a pair of REL subs than the larger panels. Of course getting into the bigger panels with true ribbon tweeters was another thing altogether!

Clive197
12-10-2018, 14:24
Of no use to me as there is no place for She Who Must Be Obeyed to put her pot plant.

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy them for many years.

User211
12-10-2018, 18:17
1.7 are great really for the dosh. Surprised.

Not heard the 0.7 though.

Sherwood
12-10-2018, 19:39
I've only heard the 1.7, not the .7, and I was seriously impressed.
That was at a show and while I can't recall the amp I do remember thinking that it looked like it weighed half a ton!

I shall have to get a listen to some .7 sometime.

The 1.7 is a great speaker but suffers from two problems. The huge UK mark up over US prices; and, its need for a brute of an amplifier which increases the total cost of ownership The .7 is two thirds the price of the 1.7 and delivers most of the performance of the larger model. However, the 1.7 often suffers in a direct comparison with the .7 unless the amplification is up to the job. In a direct A-B comparison the 1.7 can sound harsh and grainy because of clipping by an underpowered amp. I have the 1.7s but if I was buying again I would probably choose the .7s, not least because I would not have to spend so much on a capable amp. I auditioned many quality amps for my 1.7s and found them unsuited to the task. This included amps by Exposure, Parasound, Audiolab, QUAD etc. All proved inadequate to the task.

Geoff

guero
12-10-2018, 19:54
I owned a pair of .7 Maggies and was very happy. They do like plenty of watts but my amp just about drove them. I did audition the 1.7s and I loved them but didn't have the amp to drive them. Sadly, my wife bought a kitten who loved the Maggies too and climbed them at every possible opportunity. I sold them a short time later (I did predict the cat would force me to sell them).
The story doesn't end too badly however; I am currently sitting next to said kitten( now 2 years old) and listening to a pair of Tannoy Cheviots fettled by RFC.
I would have Maggies tomorrow if my circumstances changed and I would love to try the 1.7's with some brutish amps. The .7 is a spectacular speaker for the money.

Ninanina
12-10-2018, 20:16
I have the 1.7s but if I was buying again I would probably choose the .7s, not least because I would not have to spend so much on a capable amp
Geoff

That's very interesting Geoff and I'm surprised to hear that to be honest

Even with the UK mark up I still think the .7 is a bit of a bargain for the quality of sound and I have a hunch that you would have to spend and awful lot more to better them and I've had tens of speakers over the years which come nowhere near them

My new Maggies arrived today but I am not going to get a chance to set them up probably until tomorrow evening sometime and I can't wait :eek:

Sherwood
12-10-2018, 21:45
That's very interesting Geoff and I'm surprised to hear that to be honest

Even with the UK mark up I still think the .7 is a bit of a bargain for the quality of sound and I have a hunch that you would have to spend and awful lot more to better them and I've had tens of speakers over the years which come nowhere near them

My new Maggies arrived today but I am not going to get a chance to set them up probably until tomorrow evening sometime and I can't wait :eek:

Current US price for .7s is GBP 1030. UK price is double that. Adding VAT to US price would add 200 quid to the US price. I did consider bringing back a pair of the crazily priced ($599) MMGi's as hold luggage and just paying the duty on arrival.

Even with this mark up, they are still a bargain for their performance.

Geoff

Sherwood
14-10-2018, 20:04
So then, how are the new Maggies?

Geoff

Ninanina
19-10-2018, 17:21
So then, how are the new Maggies?

Geoff

Lovely, just lovely... ;)

I suspect they might need a bit of running in though

Even though the .7's are physically smaller than the MG1's the actual panel is larger and the thing I do notice is the bass as there's so much more of it with the .7's... which surprised me

The .7's seem better 'rounded' sound wise to the MG1's, a better top to bottom sound if that makes sense

Sherwood
19-10-2018, 17:36

Even though the .7's are physically smaller than the MG1's the actual panel is larger and the thing I do notice is the bass as there's so much more of it with the .7's... which surprised me

The .7's seem better 'rounded' sound wise to the MG1's, a better top to bottom sound if that makes sense

Magnepan have evolved their products over decades so it should not really be a surprise. The specs for the .7s show a better frequency response at both ends of the spectrum.

I think you will find the sound to improve over the next month.

If you need some pointers on how to get the best out of the Maggies, then PM me and I can help with some useful improvements.

Geoff

Ninanina
19-10-2018, 17:41
Magnepan have evolved their products over decades so it should not really be a surprise. The specs for the .7s show a better frequency response at both ends of the spectrum.

I think you will find the sound to improve over the next month.

If you need some pointers on how to get the best out of the Maggies, then PM me and I can help with some useful improvements.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff... yes I did look at the specs after my thoughts about the sound of the .7's which would explain why they sound better top-to-bottom (as I call it!)

Thanks for the offer of "pointers" but will give it a while as they are before I change too much ;)

Amazing sound the .7 has, love them...:)

Sherwood
19-10-2018, 17:43
Thanks Geoff... yes I did look at the specs after my thoughts about the sound of the .7's which would explain why they sound better top-to-bottom (as I call it!)

Thanks for the offer of "pointers" but will give it a while as they are before I change too much ;)

Amazing sound the .7 has, love them...:)

The biggest improvements are about the positioning and mounitng of the stands. Be ready with some double sided tape and a trip to Argos!

Geoff

Ninanina
19-10-2018, 17:46
The biggest improvements are about the positioning and mounitng of the stands. Be ready with some double sided tape and a trip to Argos!

Geoff

I'm a dab hand with double sided tape :lol:

Now I'm intrigued.....:D

gerlando
19-10-2018, 17:51
I had a pair of 1.6 that was fabulous.

Unfortunately one of the speakers broke, so I sold the other one as spare.

I drove them with excellent results with an YBA Passion 100 integrated amplifier (excellent), then a pair of Mark Levinson 28+29 (no good results), afterwards a Naim SuperNait (good but a bit too mechanical, the YBA was better) and finally I tried a valve system (JC Verdier Control B + Tube power supply + L'Amplificateur - 4x6550), that was delicious in terms of musicality.

The most dynamic and generally pleasant was the YBA.

Ninanina
19-10-2018, 18:03
I had a pair of 1.6 that was fabulous.

Unfortunately one of the speakers broke, so I sold the other one as spare.

I drove them with excellent results with an YBA Passion 100 integrated amplifier (excellent), then a pair of Mark Levinson 28+29 (no good results), afterwards a Naim SuperNait (good but a bit too mechanical, the YBA was better) and finally I tried a valve system (JC Verdier Control B + Tube power supply + L'Amplificateur - 4x6550), that was delicious in terms of musicality.

The most dynamic and generally pleasant was the YBA.

Sorry your 1.6 broke Mauro. I have heard that after some years Maggies can break down but my MG1's are still working just fine and they must be 30 years old

The .7 is a little bit like the MG1's sound wise but just a lot more so if that makes sense. I know they are supposed to need lots of power but the Supernait 2 is performing pretty well at the moment. However I might try a mega power amp with the Maggies at some point in the future but I am in no rush as the Naim seems quite happy

Thanks for the info on amps that you used ;)

gerlando
19-10-2018, 18:37
Thanks for the info on amps that you used ;)[/QUOTE]

You're welcome....

Ninanina
19-10-2018, 21:05
I normally use cd's that I know well to test out anything different in the system but with the .7's I'm listening to brand new cd's that I've never heard before ;)

Pigmy Pony
20-10-2018, 06:25

When 'running in' my speakers I played a lot of early Rod Stewart stuff quite loud.

My Zu floorstanders didn't like it much but your Maggies May... :D

(sorry that was awful, I'll be better when I've had me cornflakes).

struth
20-10-2018, 08:00
When 'running in' my speakers I played a lot of early Rod Stewart stuff quite loud.

(sorry that was awful, I'll be better when I've had me cornflakes).

I'll get your coat;)

User211
20-10-2018, 08:26
Don't listen to anyone. Apart from me.

Run them off valves. Everywhere. Valve DAC, pre and power amps.

So a Xiang/Jolida, some budget valve pre, and some KT88 100 odd Watt vintage amp you have dug up from the grave and had serviced. You can probably get away with less power than that.

There is an empathy that planar magnetics have with valve setups.

Same is true of Apogees. Though a large number of deaf idiots thought Krells were the way. In fact, they were a bit shit with them. Some Apogees had to have solid state power amps to work, though.

It is easy to fool yourself with solid state. But after a while I always revert to valve power. No matter what.

It is very difficult to get a solid state setup to sound natural with them. It is easy to get a really hefty solid state amp and conclude it is the best solution, since it may initially impress you with what appears to be superior drive capability and dynamics. But after a while it will just piss you off.

Word (wink).

Deliberately worded strongly simply to make a point. Of course, it is only my opinion. But it is based on plenty of experience with foil and film drivers. And film only hybrids.

Sherwood
20-10-2018, 09:27
Don't listen to anyone. Apart from me.

Run them off valves. Everywhere. Valve DAC, pre and power amps.

So a Xiang/Jolida, some budget valve pre, and some KT88 100 odd Watt vintage amp you have dug up from the grave and had serviced. You can probably get away with less power than that.

There is an empathy that planar magnetics have with valve setups.

Same is true of Apogees. Though a large number of deaf idiots thought Krells were the way. In fact, they were a bit shit with them. Some Apogees had to have solid state power amps to work, though.

It is easy to fool yourself with solid state. But after a while I always revert to valve power. No matter what.

It is very difficult to get a solid state setup to sound natural with them. It is easy to get a really hefty solid state amp and conclude it is the best solution, since it may initially impress you with what appears to be superior drive capability and dynamics. But after a while it will just piss you off.

Word (wink).

Deliberately worded strongly simply to make a point. Of course, it is only my opinion. But it is based on plenty of experience with foil and film drivers. And film only hybrids.

Maggies can work well with valves but they need an exceptional valve amp to perform well. I tried my 1.7s with an Art Audio Quintet power amp in pentode mode. They sounded great but only at very low listening levels. At anything approaching normal listening levels the limitations of the EL34's became apparent, not least some serious clipping and an absence of any real bass. I am sure that a modern valve amp designed around the KT120 or KT150 would sound very good, but typically such amps are pretty expensive. Yes, many solid state amps sound awful with Maggies but that is because the load is too demanding and they are driven into clipping. I auditioned a Parasound Halo power amp (amongst others) with my 1.7s and I thought I was having my teeth drilled. The sound was shrill, grainy and just plain nasty. The same amp sounded wonderful with my Reference 3a de Capo speakers so it was not that it was bad per se: just not right for the Maggies.

I know that in its homeland, the USA, many Maggie owners run their speakers with mega valve amps. Perhaps the fact that in the USA Maggies cost around half of what they cost here means they have a bit more to spend on expensive "heaters"!

Geoff

User211
20-10-2018, 10:51
I don't know why a UK company doesn't make them. Risk of violating patents?

Sherwood
20-10-2018, 11:31
It would be a violation of "property rights" and no doubt the subject of legal action.

However, I am surprised that no big European manufacturer has produced their own version of a magnetic planar speaker. I doubt that the principle of a "coil" around a "magnet" could be protected by patent!

Geoff

User211
20-10-2018, 11:39
Well they had a go at Apogee and won.

Analysis do OK versions but they are expensive. Better made than Maggies, though.

You are right a good KT150 amp would work well but a very old 100 Watt pair of Audio Research amps well fettled and re-capped would be pretty damned good and cost less. I would hope.

Ninanina
26-10-2018, 19:18
Colin was round a couple of days ago and had a listen to my present set up and now doesn't much like his own system.. oops... :doh:

Sherwood
26-10-2018, 19:24
Colin was round a couple of days ago and had a listen to my present set up and now doesn't much like his own system.. oops... :doh:

Why don't you sell him your old Maggies and a self-assembly stand kit! :idea:

Ninanina
26-10-2018, 19:37
Why don't you sell him your old Maggies and a self-assembly stand kit! :idea:

:rfl:

Unfortunately he just can't fit them into his room. Even though the room is quite large his current speakers are sited in the bay window which just isn't big enough for the MG1's

Sherwood
26-10-2018, 19:43
:rfl:

Unfortunately he just can't fit them into his room. Even though the room is quite large his current speakers are sited in the bay window which just isn't big enough for the MG1's

You know it is possible to hang Maggies from the ceiling. You need two hooks to bear the weight and then a third cable at the bottom to pull the panels back so that they fire downwards at an angle. The weight of the speakers ensures that this is a very stable arrangement. I would do this myself were it not for the fact that I expect to be moving soon.

Geoff

Sherwood
26-10-2018, 19:45
In case you thought I was joking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1oiJiEnIfs

Personally, I think there should be two cables at the top.

Geoff

Ninanina
26-10-2018, 20:18
I'll put it to him... he does have nice high victorian ceilings as well ;)

Pigmy Pony
27-10-2018, 06:12
Hi Bev, Alan (Firebottle) has his ESL's suspended from the ceiling with cables, sounds great to me and looks pretty cool. He did the work himself and I'm sure would be happy to give you some pointers.

nonuffin
27-10-2018, 08:14
My own experience with Maggies varies a bit.

Firstly, they need big voltage swings not absolute power to get them to dance and the problem is the vast majority of modern amps have been designed for high current delivery with no regard at all to big voltage swings. The best I ever got was with a pair of Hafler DH200 power amps mono'ed up and I'm sure I could have done better if I had done more searching. Not convinced that bottles would have been the right answer.

Secondly, Maggies use the room itself to produce deep bass and positioning is critical. Put them too near a rear wall and they sound hideous, so they must be well away from any walls. Room dimensions too are also important and the best bass output seems to be in rooms that are longer than 20 feet with high ceilings, as the speaker interacts with the room to a larger extent than any box speaker will.

Found a review which is quite informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJro26WxdaQ

CornishPasty
29-10-2018, 06:50
I have a pair of SMGa's packed away up in the loft room. They're still in their original box after all these years. They were pretty good on the end of a Beard P101 but bass was a touch lacking iirc. I think some of the stator wiring will need reglueing by now and if I haven't moved them on before I retire in a couple of years time I might consider repairing them.

Liffy99
29-10-2018, 14:00
Well done, Bev - congrats on your new speakers. :cheers:

Resting the MBLs Jerry - are you feeling OK ?

Only ever heard the bigger Podiums and found them much too ‘nice’. Difficult to describe but felt they lacked definition at both ends of the frequency spectrum. But then again they were playing some early Madeleine Peyroux.

See you too are using the 16/44 Qobuz service. Me too and its opened up a whole new universe.

Finally replacing my decade old Lyngdorf this week, to drive the Quad 2905s. What with - their new TDAi 3400. Bet I cant hear much difference (an expensive way to buy a bit more functionality in that case).

Ah well, back to Eric Bibb . . .

jandl100
29-10-2018, 15:57
Resting the MBLs Jerry - are you feeling OK ?

Errr, no!

Ear problem that started early July with a summer flu virus.
Just couldn't bear to listen to my MBLs with my ears at 40% so I've been having some fun with speaker swapping.
Slowly getting better as the weeks go by - maybe back to 90% now.

Yes, the Podiums aren't all rounders by any means, but they are quite exceptional with small scale music imo.
Alan Firebottle has just left after a visit today to give the Podiums a listen -- I think he was rather impressed, as was Shirley, his better half!

Ninanina
31-10-2018, 19:00
Ear problem that started early July with a summer flu virus.
Just couldn't bear to listen to my MBLs with my ears at 40% so I've been having some fun with speaker swapping.
Slowly getting better as the weeks go by - maybe back to 90% now.

Yes, the Podiums aren't "all rounders" by any means, but they are quite exceptional with small scale music imo.
Alan Firebottle has just left after a visit today to give the Podiums a listen -- I think he was rather impressed, as was Shirley, his better half!

Sorry to hear about your ear problems Jerry. I've never had an ear problem but I'm sure it's not very nice :(

Glad you are liking the Pod's

As you say the Pod's are not all rounders but what they do, with the right music, is very good indeed. A real bargain I reckon

My new Maggies are continuing to amaze me... I know that's a bit of a cliche but it's true

The .7's are just so natural and effortless sounding. They do so much right

I've been experimenting with placement of the Maggies and I've now moved them further away from the back wall and towed them in quite a bit and they seem to love that..

I've realised the Maggies are probably only the second pair of new speakers I've ever purchased, well as far as I can remember anyway :eek:

Maybe I now have my 'final' speaker

Ninanina
31-10-2018, 19:06
I put the idea of suspending the MG1's to Colin and that was met with a resounding 'no'.... shame as he loved the sound of my current set up :doh:

Ninanina
31-10-2018, 19:18

ooops only just seen this one Steve..... you always crack me up :lol:

Actually I can't stand Rod....:D

Pigmy Pony
31-10-2018, 23:42

Actually I can't stand Rod....:D

I think a lot of young people today are spoilt because they were spared his music as children...

tapid
01-11-2018, 07:36

Actually I can't stand Rod....:D You may not be able to stand him Bev but just imagine at some point you sell him your speakers and then deliver by boat ,you could then
go SAILING with MAGGIE MAY !!. If you still own your boat and Rod resides on I.O.W. thats a possibility of course.

Sherwood
01-11-2018, 07:58
I can't stand the Rod Puns! Please stop!!!!! :doh:

struth
01-11-2018, 08:01
Geoff doesn't want to talk about it [emoji23]

bumpy
01-11-2018, 08:02
I can't stand the Rod Puns! Please stop!!!!! :doh:

I agree, I Don't Want To Talk About It either.

struth
01-11-2018, 08:04
It takes two

Sherwood
01-11-2018, 08:25
I am ailing! :nono:

struth
01-11-2018, 08:29
yeah, its a heartache:sofa:

Pigmy Pony
01-11-2018, 16:30
Never A Dull Moment on this forum

struth
01-11-2018, 16:52
Ooh La La

CageyH
01-11-2018, 19:04
If I understood correctly, these are just the “little Maggie” speakers?

Ninanina
04-11-2018, 02:03
If I understood correctly, these are just the “little Maggie” speakers?

Yes Cagey, they are tiny... :eyebrows:

Sherwood
04-11-2018, 09:29
Actually there are several much smaller Maggies, not least their desktop system.

I came close to buying the above for near field listening until I heard the Martin Logan Motion series and bought a pair of the 2i.

Geoff

CageyH
04-11-2018, 09:44
Actually there are several much smaller Maggies, not least their desktop system.

I came close to buying the above for near field listening until I heard the Martin Logan Motion series and bought a pair of the 2i.

Geoff

https://www.bobdylan.com/songs/little-maggie/

Ninanina
04-11-2018, 18:27
Ooops I forgot about Little Maggie/Bob Dylan.... :doh:

Sherwood
04-11-2018, 18:31
They are not built in factories you know! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFv3sRnmHB0

This is the production PLANT ...

Pigmy Pony
04-11-2018, 22:00
https://www.bobdylan.com/songs/little-maggie/

I thought you were referring to Bart's baby sister. Doh!

Ninanina
08-11-2018, 19:47
I thought you were referring to Bart's baby sister. Doh!

Me too... :doh:

I think the .7's are loosening up a bit now and I am still amazed at the sound these 'tiny' speakers are producing... :)

Sherwood
08-11-2018, 20:03
Me too... :doh:

I think the .7's are loosening up a bit now and I am still amazed at the sound these 'tiny' speakers are producing... :)

How have you positioned them and on what surface are they?

Ninanina
08-11-2018, 20:15
How have you positioned them and on what surface are they?

Hi Geoff
They seem to like being about 2' ish from the rear wall and toed in a bit as well and then they completely disappear, they are on carpet.. I love the sound of the .7's, definitely one of my better purchases and a keeper for certain..hopefully long-term :)

Well...... unless I get a much bigger room then I'd probably get the 3.7's :eek:

struth
08-11-2018, 20:29
Good to hear your in heaven speaker wise. How's the toe?

Sherwood
08-11-2018, 20:30
Hi Geoff
They seem to like being about 2' ish from the rear wall and toed in a bit as well and then they completely disappear, they are on carpet.. I love the sound of the .7's, definitely one of my better purchases and a keeper for certain..hopefully long-term :)

Well...... unless I get a much bigger room then I'd probably get the 3.7's :eek:

I have found that the biggest problem with the Maggies is stability and carpet is a big problem. The problem is greatest with the smaller Maggies with the L-shaped stands.Fortunately, the problem can be addressed for around 30 quid.

I would suggest you consider placing them on a rigid platform that has a bigger footprint than the stands. Ideally, at least 40cm square, although even a 30cm by 40cm platform would be a big improvement. Granite chopping boards or wooden chopping blocks work well. The important thing is to ensure that the metal stands are securely bonded to the platform. A good double sided tape works amazing well.

You will find that this adjustment significantly improves imaging and bass performance with improvements to transient attack and fine detail too.

Geoff

Geoff

Ninanina
08-11-2018, 20:47
I have found that the biggest problem with the Maggies is stability and carpet is a big problem. The problem is greatest with the smaller Maggies with the L-shaped stands.Fortunately, the problem can be addressed for around 30 quid.

I would suggest you consider placing them on a rigid platform that has a bigger footprint than the stands. Ideally, at least 40cm square, although even a 30cm by 40cm platform would be a big improvement. Granite chopping boards or wooden chopping blocks work well. The important thing is to ensure that the metal stands are securely bonded to the platform. A good double sided tape works amazing well.

You will find that this adjustment significantly improves imaging and bass performance with improvements to transient attack and fine detail too.

Geoff

Geoff

That's great thanks for your suggestion Geoff

I will leave them be for a while but will definitely look into some granite blocks/boards for them in the future... ;)

Ninanina
08-11-2018, 20:48
Good to hear your in heaven speaker wise. How's the toe?

Thanks Grant.. yes they are very good indeed

The toe is a nightmare though, still painful

Sherwood
08-11-2018, 20:58
That's great thanks for your suggestion Geoff

I will leave them be for a while but will definitely look into some granite blocks/boards for them in the future... ;)

I should have mentioned ceramic/marble floor tiles as well. You can get really big tiles for very little. These provide an even more stable base for the Maggies and there are several colour choices to better blend in with the carpet too!

struth
08-11-2018, 20:58
Sorry it's still sore. They do take a while and can be really sore. Lot of nerve ends down there I think. An ingrown big toenail is bloody sore

Ninanina
08-11-2018, 21:46
I should have mentioned ceramic/marble floor tiles as well. You can get really big tiles for very little. These provide an even more stable base for the Maggies and there are several colour choices to better blend in with the carpet too!

What about something like this Geoff?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMPLE-of-Polished-Granite-Absolute-Black-Tiles-Nero-Absoluto/253104862410

I've measured up and the footprint is about 38cm x 32cm so I thought 40 x 40 should be ok

Sherwood
08-11-2018, 22:03
What about something like this Geoff?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMPLE-of-Polished-Granite-Absolute-Black-Tiles-Nero-Absoluto/253104862410

I've measured up and the footprint is about 38cm x 32cm so I thought 40 x 40 should be ok

That looks fine. When you place something like this on a carpet, you realise just how much more stable a surface you have for speakers. You might want to see if they can polish the edges too.

Regarding double sided tape, you want something close to the width of the stand supports. I prefer the foam type tape as this seems to allow a stronger bond, although you don't want the thick foam. White tape is fine but black is better for cosmetic reasons if your stands and "slab" are black too. Maybe something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Double-Automotive-Number-Plates/dp/B009IQCET2

The easiest way to fix it is to lay your speakers flat face down. Apply tape to bottom of stands and expose the outer sticky surface. Then position the slab so it is centred. Push to make contact with the tape at the bottom and then carefully bring the slab up to vertical so that all the tape is stuck the full length. Allow a little time to set and then bring the speakers upright. The bond will continue to strengthen over time.

Let me know how you get on. i am sure you will find a major improvement. It also makes it easier to slide the speakers out into the room if you want to maximise the imaging potential of the Maggies.

Geoff

Ninanina
09-11-2018, 18:31
Hi Geoff
Thanks for all the information, much appreciated

Could I get away not sticking the stands to the granite plinth? I'm not keen to get the new L stands so sticky/ruined. I already have some bitumen type stuff that I used with the LV's on their slab's and it seemed to work really well

This is what I already have, but I only use one side sticky to stick it to the slab and leave the other part non sticky so it doesn't get attached to the speaker base
http://i.imgur.com/0VyOinr.jpg (https://imgur.com/0VyOinr)

Sherwood
09-11-2018, 18:49
Hi Geoff
Thanks for all the information, much appreciated

Could I get away not sticking the stands to the granite plinth? I'm not keen to get the new L stands so sticky/ruined. I already have some bitumen type stuff that I used with the LV's on their slab's and it seemed to work really well

This is what I already have, but I only use one side sticky to stick it to the slab and leave the other part non sticky so it doesn't get attached to the speaker base
http://i.imgur.com/0VyOinr.jpg (https://imgur.com/0VyOinr)

Bev,

You have to go with what you are comfortable with but I have always felt that all Maggies should come with a better mounting arrangement. If I wasn't so "thrifty" I would have bought a set of Mye stands which really further transform Maggies. https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2011/09/28/mye-sound-rock-solid-magneplanar-3-7-stands/ Unfourtunately the UK prices are just crazy.

The tape I mentioned can be removed without damaging the stands, although it does take a bit of elbow grease and some acetone to remove. You will get some improvement just by placing the stands on a solid slab with a greater area. However, the L-brackets in particular are very wobbly. In fact, if you place the .7s on a tiled floor and move them back and forth you will find that they do not make true contact with a flat floor. One of the four end of the stand will not make contact with the floor allowing them to wobble

One option you might be more comfortable with is to put a one inch square of tape on the four corners of the stands rather than along the full length. This is much easier to remove though I would still go with the foam type tape as this can be rolled-back on itself. An alternative is to make a big blue tac sausage and apply force to create a bond. The objective is to ensure that there is no movement between the stands and the base. Of course, the brackets will still flex a little and my approach falls short of the triangular bracing offered by the Mye stands. However, it does make a big lost cost difference.

Geoff

Pigmy Pony
09-11-2018, 19:22
Bev,

If you go into a local glaziers you could get some of the adhesive pads that they put between the sheets of glass so that the surfaces don't touch each other they are about 20mm square, about 4-5mm thick, spongy and are only slightly adhesive, so can be easily removed without leaving any residue. They are usually blue or red.

They are super cheap, and if you mention you are an AOS member they won't have a clue what you're on about but may give you some for free out of pity. :D

Sherwood
09-11-2018, 19:25
You do need adhesion to pull the stands and base together and keep them bonded.

The foam type double sided tape is not that hard to remove. Plenty of ways described on Google including hairdryer.

Geoff

struth
09-11-2018, 19:36
You can use a hair dryer to soften it then it will come off with a scraper or a pencil in a drill will work too. A quick rub down with alcohol or the like and you'll never know it was there

Frazeur1
10-11-2018, 10:10
The Mye stands or even some of the Sound Anchor are very good. I imagine they are expensive to get across the pond though! If one looks around and uses their imagination, one can construct some nice DIY stands from various components at the hardware stores. Well worth playing around to get them the way you like them! So many little tweaks for Maggie’s out there. Enjoy!

Sherwood
10-11-2018, 10:40
The Mye stands or even some of the Sound Anchor are very good. I imagine they are expensive to get across the pond though! If one looks around and uses their imagination, one can construct some nice DIY stands from various components at the hardware stores. Well worth playing around to get them the way you like them! So many little tweaks for Maggie’s out there. Enjoy!

Most enhanced Maggie stands are very simple designs and the best support the speakers at top (or close to the top) as well as at the speaker base. The mechanical problem (as I see it) is how to stop a large relatively thin panel from flexing or wobbling during playback. The construction problem is that unless one has the right tools and workshop and a little experience, it is difficult to make something that is mechanically strong and aesthetically pleasing.

I have made a plinth for my Maggie 1.7s that provides both a stable base and elevates them about 10 inches from the floor. I have bonded the speakers T-brackets to the plinth with double sided tape which stops the wobble problem but obviously not the flexing because the panel is not supported at other points. I have not ruled out the option of fixing a single bar to the top of my 1.7s to connect to the plinth. This would provide a rigid tripod type support which I am sure would make a big difference. However, the simple act of securely bonding the 1.7s to a very stable platform has already made a big improvement.

If I were not relocating soon, and if my listening room permitted it, I would suspend my Maggies from the ceiling. My design for this would have the speakers hung upside down using the two existing bolt holes to bear the main weight of the speakers and allowing the speaker cables to be connected from the ceiling. I would then attach two further cables to the bottom (true top) of the 1.7s so that they were angled downwards to the listening position. Ideally, this would be in a largish room with high ceilings so that the speakers would be around 60 degrees or so to the horizontal access. I am thinking that the weight of the 1.7s would keep them relatively stable and that their "free air" positioning would allow the dipole design to really breath. That will be my project for when I move into my last house!

Geoff

Frazeur1
12-11-2018, 12:27
That is an interesting design thought Geoff, not sure if that really achieves the rigidity bit, but many things do work that may not on first thought would seem to. That is what experimenting is all about, it can be fun, or it can be a right pain in the ass!

One thing about Maggie’s in general, is the relatively cheap/inexpensive framing underneath the grille cloth. But that certainly helps with the reasonable(well, at least here in the states)cost, and keeping a lot of the models relatively cost effective. The frames certainly are reasonably heavy, but do exhibit some twist and flex, how much this affects the overall sound is not my guess. Many over here have reworked the frames or “Gunned” them per Peter Gunn mods. I heard one of his models, but had no direct comparison with a stock version, unfortunately.

At any rate, I like Magnepan a lot and lived with mine for quite a few years before going to omnis. At the time I never thought I would get away from panels....

Sherwood
12-11-2018, 12:40
That is an interesting design thought Geoff, not sure if that really achieves the rigidity bit, but many things do work that may not on first thought would seem to. That is what experimenting is all about, it can be fun, or it can be a right pain in the ass!

One thing about Maggie’s in general, is the relatively cheap/inexpensive framing underneath the grille cloth. But that certainly helps with the reasonable(well, at least here in the states)cost, and keeping a lot of the models relatively cost effective. The frames certainly are reasonably heavy, but do exhibit some twist and flex, how much this affects the overall sound is not my guess. Many over here have reworked the frames or “Gunned” them per Peter Gunn mods. I heard one of his models, but had no direct comparison with a stock version, unfortunately.

At any rate, I like Magnepan a lot and lived with mine for quite a few years before going to omnis. At the time I never thought I would get away from panels....

Timothy,

Maggies, at least the entry level models, are definitely made to a price point. However, at that price point they are unbeatable value for money in the USA. Even though they are twice as expensive in the UK there is still nothing at the price to touch them. I am familiar with the structural mods for the Maggies and I dd hear a pair of Maggies that had been so modified a while back. They sounded fantastic, though the cost of the mods was considerable. I have often wondered why Magneplanar have not offered the option of a single pole back brace to limit flexing. All it would require is a single bolt fitting at the centre top and a cross bar to fit to the existing stands.

Geoff

Frazeur1
12-11-2018, 13:35
In talking to Wendell at Magnepan, they seem to leave tweakiness out of their wheelhouse, unless whatever it is is such a profound improvement and costs are within their pricing structure.

While it is easy I think for us audiophile types to play around, tweak this or that, feel certain things should be standard fare, in reality, they are very, very cost conscious and probably why they have managed to survive so long. Sometimes their frugality cuts against the grain, but there you go.

I find several US companies to have similar, old fashioned ways, so far it has worked for them. I say tweak away though, as long as the stock item is reasonably priced and has value, sounds good, the things we can try probably is okay! Keeps us tinkering trying to get that last ounce of goodness out of the thing. I hear you though, some things just seem to be a no brainer....

Ninanina
08-12-2018, 19:58
Thanks for all the useful info everyone..

I'm listening to some music through the Maggies for the first time in weeks and I'm really loving what I am hearing; it's nice to still be surprised how good the .7's sound

I reckon the Maggies are still not fully run in but they are sounding so good I'm so glad I chose them ;)

Frazeur1
09-12-2018, 14:28
I am glad that you are enjoying them, Bev! They really are very enjoyable speakers!

Bamby
11-12-2018, 22:58
I had some 1.7s and loved them.
They had the light coloured cloth and were not too obtrusive.
l was always amazed by their open sound.
Never really understood how they could make so much sound from a panel! Magic?!

l have a very powerful power amp, a Sanders Magtech.
Superb amp, designed by Sanders to drive panel speakers.
Over 1000w into 2ohms!

Frazeur1
12-12-2018, 15:26
Paul, great amp for Maggies!

Ninanina
11-01-2019, 22:06
After not listening to music for a few weeks I am now listening again and really enjoying it, I forgot how good it all sounds... ;)