PDA

View Full Version : How to price prototype/one off Hifi ?

andyrlb
09-10-2018, 17:22
I have some bits made by HiQ sound and iota that was made back in the late 90’s for a client.
There is a preamp and power amp and some monitors with Dynaudio drivers .
I have an email from the makers which verifies the provenance of the items , and they’ve given the prices from back then .
So how do I price it to sell when there are no comparisons ? Their current phono stage starts at around £1300 if that’s anything to go buy .
Oh and I am aware that things are worth what people are willing to pay for it [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macca
09-10-2018, 17:40
It depends on whether you are looking to make any money on it. If you are think of a price in excess of what you paid and ask that. If not then ask what it cost you, you maybe add on a drink for yourself if you got it really cheap.

Specifically with something like this maybe a ton each for the pre & power (that's tops), ton for the speakers and work down from there if they sit around. like you said it doesn't matter what they were new or how much cost is in the build quality, if it isn't one of the few much coveted things in hi-fi then it may not even be worth the cost of the parts. I've sold speakers a few times that I would have got a lot more for if I'd broken them up and sold the parts.

andyrlb
09-10-2018, 17:46
Ah I see , car boot prices then [emoji23]

Macca
09-10-2018, 17:48
Unless there's some HI-Q cult that I know nothing about. Maybe in Malaysia or something. But I doubt it.

andyrlb
09-10-2018, 17:51
Unless there's some HI-Q cult that I know nothing about. Maybe in Malaysia or something. But I doubt it.

Well it’s iota/HiQ, looks like quality to me .
http://www.iota-audio-design.com/gallery

Macca
09-10-2018, 17:56
Have to say though Andy as they are a custom build for a client then they are probably pretty good. That's the thing about custom builds, re-sale value is low because it isn't a known badge or even a known model, it's just what some bloke wanted at the time. But because of that it's probably sound-per-pound a damn sight better than its retail market equivalent.

I'm guessing you've had a listen, what did you think?

andyrlb
09-10-2018, 18:01
Have to say though Andy as they are a custom build for a client then they are probably pretty good. That's the thing about custom builds, re-sale value is low because it isn't a known badge or even a known model, it's just what some bloke wanted at the time. But because of that its probably sound-per-pound a damn sight better than its retail market equivalent.

I'm guessing you've had a listen, what did you think?

Not listened yet mate as I’m waiting on a new psu from iota , it’ll be here tomorrow. It was made and given as a gift to an audiophile .
If it sounds bad don’t worry I’ll go hide in my shell [emoji6]

sq225917
09-10-2018, 22:20
its worth what someone will pay, no other way to say it really

struth
09-10-2018, 22:25
Have a feeling it will sound good. Prices are always difficult with pro stuff tho as many look down on them

Pigmy Pony
10-10-2018, 06:55
Put them on ebay with a starting price you are prepared to sell at, based on what it sounds like to you. If the bidding goes beyond that, it's a bonus.

andyrlb
10-10-2018, 06:58
I doubt it’ll make it to eBay [emoji16]

bumpy
10-10-2018, 07:08
I would say it very much depends on the reputation of the builder. If it was built by Kondo for instance then the sky is the limit.

andyrlb
10-10-2018, 07:35
I think the makers know just a little about Audio ....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.hiqsound.co.uk/about_us.amp.htm

http://www.iota-audio-design.com/about