PDA

View Full Version : Glastonbury 2019

RichB
08-10-2018, 19:58
After a year off in 2018, putting a Glastonbury thread on here for anyone going.. Trying for tickets... Speculating about the line up etc.

I'll get us started...

Acts I think may appear in 2019

The Cure
Paul McCartney
Kylie Minogue
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets

(and a cheeky 16-1 punt on The Eagles)

Ali Tait
08-10-2018, 20:10
Didn’t get lucky this time.��

Maybe in the resale..

RichB
08-10-2018, 21:18
Didn’t get lucky this time.��

Maybe in the resale..

Will be on your team trying for you mate.

Ali Tait
09-10-2018, 07:21
Thanks mate.

johnB
10-10-2018, 09:06
I’m there again.

Ali - pass your reg numbers etc and we’ll work on the resale in April.

Hopefully see:

King Gizzard
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Willie Nelson
Etc

...... to be honest I don’t mind who plays.

Cheers
John

Ali Tait
10-10-2018, 09:17
Thanks John, will do.

Pigmy Pony
10-10-2018, 09:41
When we used to go in the early 90's, we got to see some interesting acts, The Orb, Orbital, Primal Scream, Tom Jones(!), but we really didn't care who was playing, it was all the other stuff that made it special for us.

struth
10-10-2018, 09:43
When we used to go in the early 90's, we got to see some interesting acts, The Orb, Orbital, Primal Scream, Tom Jones(!), but we really didn't care who was playing, it was all the other stuff that made it special for us.

yellow stuff it dirt and sweat.

RichB
11-10-2018, 17:23
Yeah, the line up is unimportant as there's always something good to see.

I just enjoy speculating as to which gigs n tours I might shell out on a ticket for vs which I might see at the fest. That way I get to see more gigs for my ££s

RichB
07-04-2019, 18:16
Line up so far has left me a bit indifferent this year, probably because most of my music taste seems to be industrial noise and nosebleed techno at the moment.

I will be certainly scouring the fringes this year.

The Black Adder
04-07-2019, 18:23
One of the best sets I saw this year (on telly anyway) was The Chemical Brothers.

Phenonomental... :gig::wow:

Had me throwin' shapes at the telly... :)

Audio Al
04-07-2019, 18:30
How difficult is it to get tickets ? I fancy going once as a bucket list event :D

Pigmy Pony
04-07-2019, 19:31
How difficult is it to get tickets ? I fancy going once as a bucket list event :D

Go for it Al, it definitely is a bucket list thing. By which I mean as places where taking a bucket is a good idea, Glastonbury would top that list. My brother went this year - I've not spoken to him since he got back but he messaged saying the mountain of confiscated booze would challenge Chris Bonington, and bar price is 7 quid a pint :eek:

Pigmy Pony
04-07-2019, 19:35
One of the best sets I saw this year (on telly anyway) was The Chemical Brothers.

Absolutely 100% agree Josie, brilliant! And you saw them live back in the day didn't you, as did I, so it feels like you're back there again!

The Black Adder
04-07-2019, 19:41
Absolutely 100% agree Josie, brilliant! And you saw them live back in the day didn't you, as did I, so it feels like you're back there again!Deffo... Seen them quite a few times.

Lol... Oh, if only... But it's the closest to a time machine than anything.

I was simply blown away, and the tribute to Keith Flint at the end was very poignant.

The best.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

gninnam
04-07-2019, 21:52

Agree - they were very good.
Thought the Cure nailed it too :champagne:

User211
05-07-2019, 06:55
This year at least the BBC seemed to get the sound in sync with the video.

I still had to put huge preamp gain on the hi-fi system to get decent volume, though. Then the presenters come on and deafen the hell out of you.

Why the hell they do this I do not know.

The Cure set came through well. Rob seemed almost in a good mood and not hopelessly laconic. Better than a lot of their performances I felt.

The Black Adder
05-07-2019, 07:11
This year at least the BBC seemed to get the sound in sync with the video.

I still had to put huge preamp gain on the hi-fi system to get decent volume, though. Then the presenters come on and deafen the hell out of you.

Why the hell they do this I do not know.

The Cure set came through well. Rob seemed almost in a good mood and not hopelessly laconic. Better than a lot of their performances I felt.I know.. But, coming from an ex goth being happy isn't good... Lol

Mind you, being on stage doing what they were doing to all those people must have broken his goth rule. And quite rightly so.

The BBC has this crazy eq balancing thing where sometimes the music is really loud and the voices are really set back... And of course the other way around.

Its crazy and coming from a corporation like the BBC where they used to excel in sound and vision its a disgrace...

They lost the men in brown lab coats and got an army of YTS kids instead to save money and to pay presenters £150.000 pa. Instead.

Bonkers.

Andy831
05-07-2019, 07:21
They lost the men in brown lab coats and got an army of YTS kids instead to save money and to pay presenters £150.000 pa. Instead.

Bonkers.

If they did pay them all £150K I guess most of the funding problems would disappear. I think a fair proportion are on an awful lot more than that, I think Linaker alone takes over 11 times that figure, nonetheless I do agree with your bonkers sentiment.

scotty38
05-07-2019, 07:30
To follow up on a couple of points from earlier, I think tickets sold out in about 30mins this year so you have to be quick and lucky I guess. As for confiscated drink was that just bottles as I understand there's a very strict no glass rule. I thought drink in other containers was fair game.

User211
05-07-2019, 07:49
I know.. But, coming from an ex goth being happy isn't good... Lol

Mind you, being on stage doing what they were doing to all those people must have broken his goth rule. And quite rightly so.

The BBC has this crazy eq balancing thing where sometimes the music is really loud and the voices are really set back... And of course the other way around.

Its crazy and coming from a corporation like the BBC where they used to excel in sound and vision its a disgrace...

Bonkers.

Sent from my 9001X using TapatalkI can't say I was ever a Goth but I did have a Goth girlfriend called Sue. She used to take me to a club called The Whip.

Ouch!.

She was psychologically a bit odd, though. But for a very good reason I don't feel at liberty to divulge.

Jimbo
09-07-2019, 06:00
Just been listening to the Cure Glastonbury Gig on Iplayer. I was not a massive fan of the Cure but I am now.

Their music is sublime, imperial and mesmerising. I listened on headphones and was blown away by the quality of their live sound. You can hear ever instrument very clearly and their playing is perfection.

All I can say is WOW and probably the best Glastonbury Gig I have listened too in the last 30 years!

User211
09-07-2019, 06:42
Be careful with The Cure. Albums like Disintegration will suck you in. It's excellent stuff but it's also pretty bloody depressing.

I was a Cure fan since the first album, which I always think is the best thing they ever did. I strongly recommend that. And it ain't living in the depths of self pity. It's so simply mixed and the sound quality on vinyl with a decent pressing is great.

I've heard all their stuff so many times I do find it hard to listen to. But never the first album. Over and over again it's always great.

thingfish
09-07-2019, 07:05
+1

The highlight of Glastonbury.

Jimbo
09-07-2019, 18:41
Be careful with The Cure. Albums like Disintegration will suck you in. It's excellent stuff but it's also pretty bloody depressing.

I was a Cure fan since the first album, which I always think is the best thing they ever did. I strongly recommend that. And it ain't living in the depths of self pity. It's so simply mixed and the sound quality on vinyl with a decent pressing is great.

I've heard all their stuff so many times I do find it hard to listen to. But never the first album. Over and over again it's always great.

What an awesome sound they create live Justin, I saw the Floyd play The Wall at Earls Court 1979 and that was probably the best mind-blowing gig I went to with crystal clear quadraphonic sound. The Floyd were superb producers and knew how to produce a fantastic live sound however I would put the Cure on the same level with that Gig at Glastonbury. Obviously the visuals were not on the same league.:)

User211
10-07-2019, 18:24
This also comes highly recommended, though I actually have a CD that has both the electric versions and the acoustic versions.

I personally think the acoustic versions are way better. Sound quality is excellent at least in the digital domain, but I know you like your vinyl Jim.

Greatest Hits Acoustic [VINYL]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071F9W3S9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DWIjDb6QS7NXP

Jimbo
10-07-2019, 19:47
This also comes highly recommended, though I actually have a CD that has both the electric versions and the acoustic versions.

I personally think the acoustic versions are way better. Sound quality is excellent at least in the digital domain, but I know you like your vinyl Jim.

Greatest Hits Acoustic [VINYL]
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071F9W3S9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DWIjDb6QS7NXP

Thanks Justin, I have a feeling I may well be buying a lot of their stuff and I am drawn to much of their music they did on disintegration! I like dark and miserable!:)

User211
10-07-2019, 20:26
Thanks Justin, I have a feeling I may well be buying a lot of their stuff and I am drawn to much of their music they did on disintegration! I like dark and miserable!:)Well that reco is quite cheerful for them.

Check out Watching Me Fall from Bloodflowers. That's a blinkin' masterpiece of miserable.

Spectral Morn
10-07-2019, 20:51

Christine and the Queens for me.

User211
11-07-2019, 06:13
Well that reco is quite cheerful for them.

Check out Watching Me Fall from Bloodflowers. That's a blinkin' masterpiece of miserable.You can't stream this track on TIDAL.

I suspect it's the same on other streaming services.

I think they're trying to make you pay for it.

Good value at any price. I was obsessed with that track for ages:)

Minstrel SE
28-07-2019, 18:09
The tickets seem to sell out a year in advance. I would like more of a spur of the moment decision to go.

I have mixed feelings about it. I get an urge to go and then think about rainy weather and the trek to the toilets. Im probably too old to suffer for the art in that way :)

Dare I say some of it is well overrated and you are not going to see every act so choose wisely :)

Pigmy Pony
29-07-2019, 19:03
The tickets seem to sell out a year in advance. I would like more of a spur of the moment decision to go.

I have mixed feelings about it. I get an urge to go and then think about rainy weather and the trek to the toilets. Im probably too old to suffer for the art in that way :)

Dare I say some of it is well overrated and you are not going to see every act so choose wisely :)

IMO the line up doesn't matter, Martin - you'll always find something you like, and not just bands. I loved it when I went ('92, '93, '94) but then I was 25 years younger. I'd happily give it another shot if they could guarantee no one would do a shit outside my tent. The memory of crawling out in the morning and my hand squashing a freshly laid turd is a bit of a deal breaker for me :(

Minstrel SE
29-07-2019, 20:12
Yeah Ive got to go...I must go and experience it but I have no illusions about crowds, the cramped conditions and living in a field. Ive heard the stories about tents going missing and a nice big turd on your groundsheet.

I do like a bit of space to set my chairs out and have a gin and tonic :)

Its a younger persons game in many ways but I will probably be buzzing on the vibe and get on the mud slide :)

Pigmy Pony
29-07-2019, 20:26
I believe there is an area for campervans/motorhomes. I could certainly put up with that :)

The year of the turd was also the year that all my money was stolen - my silly fault for being too pissed to realise that leaving all your cash in your jeans then leaving them at the unzipped entrance your tent is a bad idea. Also the year that my car window got broken and my CD plyer and 30 or so CDs went. That was a draughty and music-free return home.

Apart from that it was a brill weekend! Go for it Martin, regrets are always things we didn't do, not the things we did. If a few AOS members went, we could get together and tell bands like Oasis that their recordings are shit.

Quick edit for a tip: bog roll and a camping chair are essential!

Alex_UK
29-07-2019, 20:42
The year of the turd was also the year that all my money was stolen - my silly fault for being too pissed to realise that leaving all your cash in your jeans then leaving them at the unzipped entrance your tent is a bad idea. Also the year that my car window got broken and my CD plyer and 30 or so CDs went. That was a draughty and music-free return home.

I've never been, and would love to go, an AoS posse sounds a good idea, but this isn't really selling it for me! :lol:

On the other hand, I'd gladly put up with all that and more to be able to tell Oasis they are shit!

vinylspinner
29-07-2019, 20:44
Just book a place at the Bath and West Show ground for your camper, then get the shuttle bus service that runs non stop to the site, safe and hassle free.

Pigmy Pony
29-07-2019, 21:54
I've never been, and would love to go, an AoS posse sounds a good idea, but this isn't really selling it for me! :lol:

On the other hand, I'd gladly put up with all that and more to be able to tell Oasis they are shit!

My selling skills are legendary - EE offered me big money to get a job on Vodafone's sales team :(

The year of the turd, the tent robbing and the car break-in was also Oasis' first year at Glastonbury. just saying...

jollyfix
30-07-2019, 06:31
The site these days so different to the early 90's Steve, especially the toilets. The place so much nicer, less thieving etc. AOS have a get together there , unfortunately Ali hasn't made it the last couple of years.

Pigmy Pony
30-07-2019, 06:56
The site these days so different to the early 90's Steve, especially the toilets. The place so much nicer, less thieving etc. AOS have a get together there , unfortunately Ali hasn't made it the last couple of years.

That's good to know, and I didn't know there was an AOS posse. I might just make an effort for next year, or rather Mrs. P will, as I hear that getting tickets involves a bit more than a visit to the local record shop. As you know (and I mentioned to Martin), it's so much more than just the bands, and any Glasto stories you come away with (every visitor will have at least one) are likely to be anything but the music :)

jollyfix
30-07-2019, 07:04
Sent you PM Steve.

Ali Tait
30-07-2019, 11:50
Yeah always go if I can, good to meet up with lads. Sadly didn’t get a ticket this year.