PDA

View Full Version : Love Over Gold

Natara
16-09-2018, 17:40
Hi I have an original UK 1st Press of Dire Straits - Love Over Gold that has this gold impressed circle on the back cover just below the Vertigo emblem on the top right corner. I have searched on Discogs and not found another copy with the same mark and was wondering if any of you Dire Straits fans either own another one or have seen another one like it?
[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1854/42910353900_9a8459d622.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28nQMeW)IMG_2622 (https://flic.kr/p/28nQMeW) by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141362658@N06/]

struth
16-09-2018, 18:20
Nope not seen it tmk. Never collected dire stuff and tbh there isn't much collectible stuff out there. That may be one ☝️

Stratmangler
16-09-2018, 19:30
Nat

Did you buy it back in the day, or is it a more recent acquisition?

I bought a copy when it came out.
There is no gold embossed anything on the back of the sleeve.
It was common practise for record companies to put some kind of stamp on promotional copies, such as the ones played in the record shop. Mostly you'd find "promotional copy not for resale" or similar.
Your golden disc could be one such stamp.

2kings
16-09-2018, 19:41
I have six copies of this album and non has the gold embossing.

Natara
16-09-2018, 20:04
I found it in a Charity Shop maybe 3 years ago when I bought a bunch records including thre Dire straits LP's. I'm not a fan and bought them just to see if I might like them unfortunately I didn't.
Nat

Did you buy it back in the day, or is it a more recent acquisition?

I bought a copy when it came out.
There is no gold embossed anything on the back of the sleeve.
It was common practise for record companies to put some kind of stamp on promotional copies, such as the ones played in the record shop. Mostly you'd find "promotional copy not for resale" or similar.

Batty
16-09-2018, 21:38
I have a german pressing of their debut album with the labels on the wrong side, collectable? no idea.

Barry
16-09-2018, 22:04
I have a german pressing of their debut album with the labels on the wrong side, collectable? no idea.

I have a couple of LPs where the labels are on the wrong side. Collectable? - well collectors will collect just about anything, if they are so inclined.

Natara
16-09-2018, 22:40
Records that have labels reversed or spelling mistakes or tracks in the wrong order can be worth something but the gold impressed circle on this record cover has been put there on purpose by whoever printed it and I’m interested to find out why because no other copy I can find has the same thing. It’s never going to be worth anything I’m just intrigued.

alphaGT
17-09-2018, 06:14
The gold circle on the cover simply means you’ve won a tour of the Willy Wonka chocolate factory.

Russell

PS, watch out for those Umpalumpa, a nasty lot they be.

Pigmy Pony
17-09-2018, 07:22
The gold circle on the cover simply means you’ve won a tour of the Willy Wonka chocolate factory.

Russell

Most of the Umpalumpas have a Saturday job at Currys, best to go then :)

Natara
17-09-2018, 14:44
Most of the Umpalumpas have a Saturday job at Currys, best to go then :)

That's outrageous ad an insult to the poor Umalumpas!!!!!!!!!

walpurgis
17-09-2018, 15:00

Yup. Nearly as unpredictable as Munchkins.

Macca
17-09-2018, 15:28
Those bastards. Don't get me started.

struth
17-09-2018, 15:46
your all quite mad

walpurgis
17-09-2018, 15:54
your all quite mad

But we carry it off with style! :lol:

Pigmy Pony
17-09-2018, 16:05
But we carry it off with style! :lol:

That's what the Umpalumpas at Currys say.

Pete The Cat
18-09-2018, 19:23

I recall that in the 80s radio station promotional copies of albums would have gold embossed stamps, although as you say there would normally be some writing to that effect also. Similarly, some "mid-price" releases of albums had them, but again they would usually include some writing to that effect.

Odd features added after the event to album sleeves (as opposed to, say, misprints) tend to point to some purpose affecting onwards sale, such as the practice of punch-holes, corner removal or notches in the spine.

Pete

Barry
18-09-2018, 19:26
I recall that in the 80s radio station promotional copies of albums would have gold embossed stamps, although as you say there would normally be some writing to that effect also. Similarly, some "mid-price" releases of albums had them, but again they would usually include some writing to that effect.

Odd features added after the event to album sleeves (as opposed to, say, misprints) tend to point to some purpose affecting onwards sale, such as the practice of punch-holes, corner removal or notches in the spine.

Pete

They were to denote that import duty/tax had been paid.

Natara
20-09-2018, 17:19
[img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1854/42910353900_9a8459d622.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28nQMeW)IMG_2622 (https://flic.kr/p/28nQMeW) by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141362658@N06/]

This doesn't seem like an imprint to denote a promotional copy or as a part of a collection if you could see it you would see that it is professionally done and seems to have been done at the point of manufacture and looks almost like gold leaf which curious because of the LP title

Macca
20-09-2018, 17:21
I've got a UK first press and it doesn't have that on it. You could try e-mailing Polydor (is it?). If they still exist that is.

Minstrel SE
27-09-2018, 06:28
On every coffee table in the 80s with Sade and Huey Lewis :)

I had a brief thing when I thought the double live album was ok but I couldnt really listen to them now.

If I did like anything it comes under guilty pleasures

Pigmy Pony
09-10-2018, 06:49
I reckon in the eighties there was a bunch of people who had a decent hi fi because they could afford it and it could impress their friends. Probably slavishly followed Hi fi Answers' recommendations slavishly, but the only music they owned was Diamond Life, Love Over Gold, Lexicon of Love and DSOTM. Oh and Bat Out Of Hell for when they felt like rockin'.

Macca
09-10-2018, 07:01
Don't forget U2 'The Joshua Tree'

Basically all the albums that Britannia Music used to advertise.

Pigmy Pony
09-10-2018, 07:15
I bought 'The Joshua Tree' because I heard 'Bullet The blue Sky' on the radio. Still the only U2 song I like. Played the album once. Tried to sell it at a car boot a few years later, but couldn't give it away, and this was at Clitheroe for Chrissakes!

Britannia music - ha, forgot about them bastards. I was a member, and my collection is full of unplayed "record of the month" piles of crap - Phil Colons, The Christians etc, all there because I was too lazy to send them back before the deadline.

Macca
09-10-2018, 07:28
It's no coincidence that when you go in second hand shops the racks are full of the Britannia Music albums - Boston first album. The Sound Of Bread. Jean Michel Jarre. Chris Rea. Millions of them sold to people who didn't even want them to begin with.

I remember when they stopped doing vinyl and started sending the cassette version instead. I called a halt to it after that. The cassettes were no cheaper than the vinyl, which was taking the piss, frankly. Last vinyl I got off them was Bob Marley 'Exodus'.

Pigmy Pony
09-10-2018, 07:35
When they sent me "Hello I Must Be Going", I took it as a sign.

Pigmy Pony
09-10-2018, 07:40
Were "The Brits" music awards originally something to do with them? The catalogue was largely comprised of "award winners".

Stratmangler
09-10-2018, 11:00
Were "The Brits" music awards originally something to do with them? The catalogue was largely comprised of "award winners".

This is what Wikipedia has to say on the matter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Music_Club

Minstrel SE
10-10-2018, 16:10
I reckon in the eighties there was a bunch of people who had a decent hi fi because they could afford it and it could impress their friends. Probably slavishly followed Hi fi Answers' recommendations slavishly, but the only music they owned was Diamond Life, Love Over Gold, Lexicon of Love and DSOTM. Oh and Bat Out Of Hell for when they felt like rockin'.

Yeah I had a stage that I can only descibe as being confused now. I had the equipment and my selection of music was a few albums like Diamond Life. It was mostly about the equipment and there is no denying that.

There was very little of the real me in that collection but maybe I just didnt know who the real me was. It was like that scene in American Psycho and I looked like a pretend yuppie with no real soul and no real way to express myself.

Then again I wasnt the only one and it was the 80s :)

Pigmy Pony
10-10-2018, 17:52
Yes don't be so hard on yourself Martin - I confess that those records I listed, I own all of those, with the exception of 'Bat Out Of Hell' (even then I had standards). So the people I described included me, the only difference being that my hifi was comparatively crap. Well not really, it was a Mission turntable, Cyrus one amp and some big AR speakers. But I did aspire to some Linn/Naim. And I eventually bought an LP12 out of the classifieds in the back of Hi Fi Answers.

Pigmy Pony
10-10-2018, 18:03
Remember Ivor Tiffanybum going on about having just one pair of speakers in the room? What happened to that? And what about buying cheap amp and speakers so you could throw most of your money at the front end? That hierarchy curiously disappeared with the advent of CD.

I shouldn't take the mickey too much, it was all part of our 'journey', and who knows, in 30 years we may be poking fun at some of the stuff that matters today. Not me though - I'll have gone to that single speaker dem room in the sky. :)

alphaGT
11-10-2018, 06:37
In the US we had the Columbia House Record Club. I imagine it’s the same thing? Maybe even the same company? Because it sounds exactly the same the way you describe it.

They would send out invites, list then in magazine adds, etc, that you could start with 12 albums for a penny! I knew a bunch of kids who stuck a penny in an envelope and mailed it off, to receive their 12 introductory albums! And then they started to send the Records they wanted money for! The honest ones bought the 6 required, or however many it was, before quitting, but many did not. They kept all the records they sent, never sending them a dime in return. And after about 5 Records they sent a threatening letter to report you to a collection agency! But, finding out the receiver was under age, there was nothing they could do about it. Honestly, I don’t know how they made money? They were ripped off more often than not, they must have gotten the records for near nothing?

Personally I looked to join, but after perusing their selection, I couldn’t find 12 Records I even wanted? And figured there was no sense in them ever sending more, if I got the only 8 or 10 I ever wanted in the introductory offer. So I never bought into it.

I do have the very first record I ever bought! And most of the records I’ve ever bought, and oddly enough, many of the earliest albums I own are in the best shape?

Russell

Macca
11-10-2018, 07:35
I joined it when they were still doing vinyl, didn't even get to the end of the obligatory purchases before they decided they were not doing vinyl anymore. Wouldn't let me cancel so I stopped paying them. Got collections letter. Paid them what I owed to date and that was the end of it.

They used to have big adverts in all the weekend newspapers so there must have been some money in it. If you just kept their reccos though you would have ended up with a petty dismal record collection on the whole.

Pigmy Pony
11-10-2018, 08:21
The records they sold appealed to the masses no doubt, otherwise they would not be financially viable. I bet they sold by the truckload, especially as you had "The Brits" awards telling the great unwashed how cool they were.

Although there was nothing cool about The Brits, I thought it was all a shambles and a bit of an embarrassment. Who remembers the year it was co-presented by Mick Fleetwood and Sam Fox? Talk about The Hobbit meets the BFG. The camera had to pan right back to get them both in shot.

Us folks on AOS I think live on the fringes when it comes to our buying choices in music and reproduction (by which I mean we're not normal), and would largely shun the standard fare offered by the likes of Britannia Music, so probably didn't get far past the very persuasive introductory offer.