PDA

View Full Version : Spring cleaning ...any tips?

colinB
09-04-2010, 21:57
Ive only been buying vinyl for the last 6 months and a lot of it is new stuff and yet some of it is filthy. I imagine this is a common thread so i dont mean to bore everyone but im pretty confused about the best way to clean.
I started of with a cheap soft carbon fibre brush which was rubbish and so i raked out 50 notes on a roksan brush. The young Indian girl in the Tottenham crt rd shop looked at me very concerned when i bought it and said " You take your records very seriously dont you"
Any way, the brush is brilliant at digging out deep dust but it builds up static very badly and often results in shotgun like pops when played.
I know the best thing to do is get a cleaning machine but i cant afford anything like that at the moment. Any tips on budget cleaning i would be most grateful.

Alex_UK
09-04-2010, 22:42
Have you got a dishwasher Colin? (JOKE: I can't be held responsible for dishwashed vinyl! :))

What about a washing machine? ;)

Being serious though, it is possible to wash your records, though I haven't done it in years : this site looks pretty good at explaining it: http://www.instructables.com/id/Cleaning-Vinyl-Records/

colinB
09-04-2010, 22:56
Oh no, that looks like washing up to me! Maybe i will save up for that cleaning machine.;)

Alex_UK
09-04-2010, 22:59
Pretty much all a cleaning machine does, albeit more precisely and methodically... but I know what you mean! :eek:

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2010, 23:07
I'm really not trying to persuade you to buy a machine, but you honestly don't know how clean they can be with one till you try it. Your friendly local hi-fi dealer may have one that you can hire, or he may clean records for a small fee.

You say the brush you have is digging deep into the grooves. I would actually argue that you ain't seen the half of it! What you are wiping up is actually mostly surface dust that can't be seen until the brush pushes it into little piles. At worst you are just pushing that around to different locations which you leave in varying thicknesses on the playing surface. At best, you're removing some of it. To do the job right, you need liquid to loosen the grot and then only a machine can suck it up & away from the grooves.

Send me just one of your records & I'll clean it for you to show what a machine can do. Make it your dirtiest most grotty specimen - in fact feel free to make it dirtier if you want!
Send me a PM & we'll discuss.

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2010, 23:09
Pretty much all a cleaning machine does, albeit more precisely and methodically... but I know what you mean! :eek:

Washing up doesn't involve vacuuming the grot into oblivion

Light Capture
09-04-2010, 23:13
To clean used vinyl I use a wide natural bristle varnish brush and work a mixer of dish soap and warm water into the groves, then rinse with luke warm water, pad dry with a microfiber cloth, and air dry in a dish rack. Cleans fantastically.

Alex_UK
09-04-2010, 23:14
Washing up doesn't involve vacuuming the grot into oblivion

Indeed, Chris you are quite right on that point I omitted - apologies

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2010, 23:28
Indeed, Chris you are quite right on that point I omitted - apologies

Sorry Alex, did I seem a little grumpy and / or impatient there for a moment? Not my intention, I promise!

If you've got no machine or access to one, then donning the Marigolds is probably your next best option.

By the way, I'm playing Crazy Horses' self titled album (third time today!!!!!!!!) and the track currently spinning (most appropriately) is 'Dirty, Drirty'..........however, the record is 'Spangley, Spangley'

colinB
09-04-2010, 23:33
Thanks for the offer chris. Ive got a good candidate for a clean. I bought an old copy of a live Hawkwind album that i remember from my youth as being edge of your seat exciting. I was dissapointed when i played it , it sounded really dull and it wasnt until i heard a recent cd remaster i realised it wasnt my imagination ,it was a ferocious concert. It would be interesting to hear a before/after comparison.
Any examples of a not to expensive machine? I read KAB do a cheap nitty gritty cleaner which has no motor and uses a domestic hoover for suction, but theirs the hassle of importing it from the states.
Im not sure how to send a PM by the way.

Alex_UK
09-04-2010, 23:37
did I seem a little grumpy and / or impatient there for a moment?

No, not at all - my defensive stance is probably more to do with the fact I was giving "advice" to Colin and didn't want to mislead anyone.

(2nd time today I've given advice! :eek:)

colinB
09-04-2010, 23:38
Great album. Just bought everybody knows this is nowhere on 180gm. Id give my eye teeth for Sleeps with angels on vinyl. Lovely album.

The Grand Wazoo
09-04-2010, 23:47
I have a Moth - about £400 but I think they still do a kit version for a good bit less - you build the box.
There are a couple of other cheaper models about - Okki-Nokki etc.

To send a PM, just click my name at the head of one of my posts & it will be one of the options given. Top right hand corner of ever page is a 'Private messages' link - it'll tell you when you have one to read & you can use it to manage your messages.

Gdg
10-04-2010, 07:52
Any way, the brush is brilliant at digging out deep dust but it builds up static very badly and often results in shotgun like pops when played.getting rig

In my experience the regular carbon fiber brush simply doesn't work (I have an Audioquest one). Ok, it digs out dust, but statics it produces, in a few seconds, take the dust back were it was before... and statics stay still there :steam:
Then I found this brush CAPSI RCB 300:
http://cgi.ebay.it/SPAZZOLA-ANTISTATICA-CAPSI-MOD-RCB-300_W0QQitemZ260581330414QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDischi _Vinile_33_giri_12_?hash=item3cabdb8dee

Even though no great finishing here (seems like an hand-made product), It has a fully metal body (brass and alu) and a nice wire you have to connect it to the phono ground. It works very good and gets rid of the statics of the brand new records, or collects the dust of old records, without producing new statics. BTW, I use to blow away that dust with a watchmaker rubber blower like this:
http://cgi.ebay.it/Rubber-Dust-Blower-For-Watch-Movements-Dials-Cameras_W0QQitemZ350338023075QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM? hash=item5191c5fea3
-

REM
10-04-2010, 09:22
I have a Moth - about £400 but I think they still do a kit version for a good bit less - you build the box.
There are a couple of other cheaper models about - Okki-Nokki etc.

Sorry to say the Okki-Nokki has had a price hike to £400 and you need to check availability, they appear to make them in batches so you may need to wait if their are none in stock.
You need to be pretty nifty with the box building skills to put the Moth kit together, I checked out the plans a few years ago, way beyond me but then again most woodwork things are.
An RCM might cost a lot but they genuinely are worth it, ever wondered why you hardly ever see any up for sale second hand?

Cheers

colinB
10-04-2010, 10:36
The anti stat brush makes a lot of sense. I bought a brand new David Crosby album and the static was dreadful , really loud pops through the speakers. If it helps with that i would b happy.
I saw a kit moth on e bay, £260 minus a base which you have to make. Im not sure of my woodwork skills either but £400 is a lot of money right now. I might be more convinced when i see the improvement after chris has cleaned my Lp.
Its a pitty no one in the uk is importing the KAB nitty gritty , $160 and a vacum cleaner and it cant be far of a moth cleaner.

Barry
10-04-2010, 15:17
The anti stat brush makes a lot of sense. I bought a brand new David Crosby album and the static was dreadful , really loud pops through the speakers. If it helps with that i would b happy.
I saw a kit moth on e bay, £260 minus a base which you have to make. Im not sure of my woodwork skills either but £400 is a lot of money right now. I might be more convinced when i see the improvement after chris has cleaned my Lp.
Its a pitty no one in the uk is importing the KAB nitty gritty , $160 and a vacum cleaner and it cant be far of a moth cleaner.

When using a carbon fibre 'anti-static' cleaning brush, you need to touch one hand to the metal work of your deck whilst applying the brush with the other hand. Otherwise all you will do is charge up the record, thus attracting more dust. I use a Decca carbon fibre brush, which has replaced a Watts cleaner, and it's fine.

I would thoroughly recommend (as have others) that you get your 'dirtiest' records cleaned with an RCM. Ideally all records should be put through an RCM upon reciept.

Let us know how you get on with Chris's offer. If successful, I would be willing to clean some of your LPs with my Nitty Gritty machine.

Regards

Macca
10-04-2010, 16:03
When using a carbon fibre 'anti-static' cleaning brush, you need to touch one hand to the metal work of your deck whilst applying the brush with the other hand. Otherwise all you will do is charge up the record, thus attracting more dust.

Hah! I've been doing that for 20 odd years- touching one finger to the spindle when brushing - I forget who originally told me to do it but now it is just second nature, don't even think about it. Then just the other day I noticed I was doing it and realised I had no recollection of why - it had simply become part of the 'sacred ritual' of putting a record on. Thanks Barry:)

snapper
10-04-2010, 16:18
When using a carbon fibre 'anti-static' cleaning brush, you need to touch one hand to the metal work of your deck whilst applying the brush with the other hand. Otherwise all you will do is charge up the record, thus attracting more dust. I use a Decca carbon fibre brush, which has replaced a Watts cleaner, and it's fine.
Regards

Hah! I've been doing that for 20 odd years- touching one finger to the spindle when brushing - I forget who originally told me to do it but now it is just second nature, don't even think about it. Then just the other day I noticed I was doing it and realised I had no recollection of why - it had simply become part of the 'sacred ritual' of putting a record on. Thanks Barry:)

I was just going to post exactly the same.

:lolsign:

IME it won't completely eliminate the static,but should reduce it by a significant margin.

The Grand Wazoo
10-04-2010, 16:46
I was looking for a new brush just now & spotted some people offering record cleaning services on Ebay -

£1.50 a pop in Bedfordshire

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Record-Cleaning-Service-on-a-Moth-or-Nitty-Gritty_W0QQitemZ390180461275QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ Records?hash=item5ad8915adb

or £2.00 in Worcs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Record-Cleaning-Service-Keith-Monks-Cleaning-Machine_W0QQitemZ160377509097QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Home_Garden_CD_DVDStorage_SM?hash=item25573e94e9

........& this one a big conflicting about the price
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vinyl-Record-Cleaning-Services-12LPS-with-new-sleeves_W0QQitemZ260379141135QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables?hash= item3c9fce640f

The Grand Wazoo
10-04-2010, 16:48
On the subject of brushes - I'm looking for a new brush to use with my Moth. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for a good 'un & where from?

Barry
10-04-2010, 17:00
On the subject of brushes - I'm looking for a new brush to use with my Moth. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for a good 'un & where from?

For giving the record a quick 'wipe' before playing, I use a Decca carbon fibre brush. I believe these are still obtainable through the Hi Fi News 'shop'.

I think the version now sold has a sandwich construction to the bristles: the inner bristles are fibreglass flanked by a set of carbon fibre bristles. I have one of these as well but have never got around to using it.

I used to have a Watts Disc Preener, that I found worked well (as long as the wick in the middle was always kept damp). Seemed to have lost it now.

If you are after a velvet style pad/brush, then there is (ahem!) the Hunt's EDA cleaner. A friend of mine uses one, and it works as well as the Watts did, though I don't know if they are still available these days.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
10-04-2010, 17:03
I'm actually after something to apply the jollop when using my machine - the one that came with my Moth RCM is rather stiffer than a carbon fibre brush & the bristles don't mat together like a pad when wet.

Barry
10-04-2010, 17:09
I'm actually after something to apply the jollop when using my machine - the one that came with my Moth RCM is rather stiffer than a carbon fibre brush & the bristles don't mat together like a pad when wet.

Why do you want to change from the brush that came with the Moth Chris? How viscious is the 'jollop'?

The Grand Wazoo
10-04-2010, 17:20
The jollop is just water/isoprop/detergent

I just wondered if there was something better available for a reasonable price to try. I've found a couple at £15 a go & this seems wholly unreasonable to be, but maybe I'm just being a bit of a skinflint. I also spotted one at £30(ish) - I still haven't got my heart rate back to normal yet!

I have no real complaint with the Moth one, other than it looks & feels like a piece of the brush type draught excluders that you screw to the bottom of doors!

REM
10-04-2010, 19:15
Hi Chris

Know what you mean about the price but these MOBILE FIDELITY (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mobile-Fidelity-Record-Cleaning-Brush_W0QQitemZ290416177518QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurn table_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439e27316e) pad things are excellent. Once you use one nothing else will do, sort of thing.

Cheers

Mike
10-04-2010, 19:42
Get it done professionaly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1XP9jKUGkk&feature=related

Light Capture
10-04-2010, 20:29
Get it done professionaly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1XP9jKUGkk&feature=related

You forgot this professional DJ way::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMyyQIVMdI&NR=1