PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cassette deck

Themis
09-04-2010, 19:33
Hi all,

I am looking for a cassette tape deck (used) in good condition, cheap (under £90) for a friend of mine. Preferably a Nak.

If any of you guys hear of such a deck, sold by a person of confidence, I would be very obliged if you could post in this thread.

Thank you all, for you help. :)

DSJR
09-04-2010, 19:41
If a Nak isn't available, see if an early - mid 1990's TEAC 8000 series three head machine can be got this cheap now. The mechs were stunning, reviews of the 8000's were good and they're built like out-houses.....

Alex Nikitin
12-04-2010, 21:35
If a Nak isn't available, see if an early - mid 1990's TEAC 8000 series three head machine can be got this cheap now. The mechs were stunning, reviews of the 8000's were good and they're built like out-houses.....

TEAC V8030/6030 are not really very good, thought quite expensive even now. These have Sankyo mechanics (same as most later Nakamichi decks) and good heads, however the electronics is the same as on cheap SONY decks which is not good at all for the price. They look good, but that is about all.

On the topic - I think that any Nak (or any other cassette deck) you would buy for that much money will require a service. I've bought over 60 cassette decks on eBay, many described as "in perfect working condition". Only 2 really were - more or less. I don't complain - I just expect that I need to service every deck I buy, no matter what the seller says. If the deck was not serviced recently (last couple of years) it will need a check-up and most likely a service.

Alex

dave2010
13-04-2010, 13:45
On the topic - I think that any Nak (or any other cassette deck) you would buy for that much money will require a service. I've bought over 60 cassette decks on eBay, many described as "in perfect working condition". Only 2 really were - more or less. I don't complain - I just expect that I need to service every deck I buy, no matter what the seller says. If the deck was not serviced recently (last couple of years) it will need a check-up and most likely a service.
Alex
I currently have two, but not sure that I want to sell either of them right now. As it happens I got my Sony (high end model) out yesterday, and after a while faffing around, was able to record through my ADC to my hard drive. I note the comments re servicing. I think the other one is a Yamaha - similar or slightly better quality than the Sony, but currently stored elsewhere.

What I'd have liked to do is to play the deck through my ADC and then stream the audio back to my DAC, but I suppose that's asking too much. I coulld only find out how to record through the ADC, then replay through the same unit to generate an S/PDIF output for my Caiman, and then output to my amp. I have an oldish Creative Soundblaster MP3+ (external USB), though I can record and then I have several routes back to my amp. I would have found it useful to miss out the recording step.

Are there any reputable places which do check-ups and servicing nowadays?Is it possible to do much oneself?

Themis
15-04-2010, 18:14
Thanks for the extended explanations Alex. :)
It seems like my friend needs to put his price up a bit. ;)