PDA

View Full Version : Bake Off At Mine

Macca
06-09-2018, 18:05
Had Oliver 'Bigman' come around today with some bits and pieces.

First up the DB1 unity gain pre-amp - very interesting bit of kit this, just a buffer stage with stepped attenuator. I was interested to see if it would be a better match for the Krell than my usual SA passive.

Bit of a spanner in the works in that my Technics SLP1200 decided to start playing up yesterday, stopping after playing 4 or 5 tracks. So had to slum it with the Sony ES505 which is good, but nothing like as good as the Techy.

The DB1 gave quite different presentation, smoother, better defined bass, every track in the mix seemed to have its own spotlight shone on it. Quite upfront but never hard or aggressive. Maybe it had a bit less 'wallop' in the bottom registers but it was more defined, the tone of the bass guitar came through a bit more. I'm going to get a loan of one once Oli has built it so I'll be able have a longer go with it then.

Oli also brought the Monarchy SM70 power amp, dinky little thing that weighs like a gold ingot. Swapped it in place of the Krell KSA50S, not a massive amount of difference. maybe a bit less weight and grip but I can tell you, you'd struggle in a blind test provided you didn't bang it up too loud. A really good amplifier.

Finally we had a go with the Spotfire interconnects - I wasn't expecting much, I was wrong and am going to get some. They just put a bit of snap into what was quite a 'lazy' sound, as Oli put it. I listen to quite a lot of heavy rock and that so I don't like a lot of edge on the sound that can flatter simpler music but is too much if you're playing something like Led Zep at any sort of volume. So my system is sort of balanced to that. But the Spotfire gave a it more of a crispness to the sound without making it in any way brittle.

We listened to songs from the following records:

Steely Dan: Everything Must Go
Curtis Mayfield: Superfly,
Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms
Eric Clapton & BB King: Riding With The King
ZZ Top: ZZ Top's First Album

My phone will not talk to my new laptop but Oli took some illustrative pics so you'll have to wait until he posts them up (Marco).

Bigman80
06-09-2018, 19:32
A visit to Maccas,

Upon recieving word that Macca wanted to run the rule over my DCB1 Preamp, we setup a meet. Macca's was the venue.

We started off with his Krell KSA50S which was powering his Jmlabs speakers. Source was a Sony ES CDP. We plumbed in the DCB1 and sat down for a few tracks. Steely Dan, ZZ Top, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton & BB King provided the bulk of the music.

Upon the very first few opening bars of the Dire Straits track "So Far Away" it was clear how good the Krell was, Big wholesome soundstage, Midbass in abundace and plenty of the lower registers. Excellent grip and timing. The soundstage was tall and deep and Knopflers voice sounded clean and distinct. I was happy we got this track on as i know it very well and i managed to get a handle on the system very quickly.

The DCB1 allowed the CDP to create a purity of sound which i havent heard from CD. It still had the stereotypical Digitial markers like the HF's sounding a little higher in the mix than with Vinyl, but never harsh wich i liked. Bass was tight and extended but what i liked moset was the grip the amp had. The DCB1 was lively and rythmic but in an honest way, fully allowing the urgency of the tracks to flow effortlessly.

After a while we decided to put in my Monarchy Audio SM-70. Instantly i felt we had taken out a huge amp and put in a smaller one. It was odd that the soundstage shrunk and Macca quite rightly pointed out the volume was lower. Once we had matched the level loosley, things got much better. I did feel the Krell was "meatier" and left me thinking the SM-70 was a bit "lean"

After a brief warm up period, i felt the mids improved on the SM-70 and in my opinion, its debateable whether the Krell is as transparent as the Monarchy or whether the Monarchy is leaner than the Krell. I am unsure which one is the most accurate and would need a bit more time to fully decide on that. In Terms of SQ, there was nothing in it that i could tell. The Monarchy was transparent and ZZ Top really came alive. The guitar had crunch and grit. The Plectrum flicking off the strings was clearly audible and the energy they were trying to portray was evident. I was very impressed.

If i had to chose one of the Krell or the Monarchy, It would be very difficult. The only difference being the presence and slightly different tonal presentations. If it was a financial decision the the Monarchy would be my choice. If it was a musical decision, the Krell and if it was ultimate accuracy, well thats a 50/50

The truth is, via both amplifiers, the musicians were there, the guitars were being played in the room and the realism was evident. They are stellar performers.

We then decided to put Macca's native SA Preamp in with the Monarchy.

It was at this point that the SQ took a turn for the worse IMO. SQ was diminished slightly, the soundstage that was quite epic, became a smaller window between the speakers and the performers suddenly took a step back into the CD they came from. I felt like we were now listening to the CD rather than the band.

There was also colouration. The mids sounded like they were boosted a little and the bass became a bit looser. With passives I find this masquerades as "more" but generally it's just not as well controlled, IMO

There was also a softening of the performance too. The Snare no longer had the snap and the whole performance felt lazy.

Oddly, Macca said he found this easier to listen to and stated the DCB1 Seperated the musicians better and there was clearer deliniation with the DCB1. To me the Sounstage became flat and and smeared. I was uninvolved all of a sudden.

I decided to see if macca wanted to try the SPOTFIRE cables at this point. The reaction?.........."I am not one to jump to conclusions, having been in the HiFi game for so long but these are obviously better. It's like swapping from the Sony CDP to the (far better) Technics CDP"

The cables improved the whole performance IMO. I won't comment further on this because they are my cables. I will let Macca add his 2p.

Overall, i felt the Preamp really benefitted from the addidtion of the cables.

Today, if i were to pick from the amps and the preamps we tried, I'd go for the DCB1 (no contest for my taste) and the Krell for the HUGE sound it produces. A really enjoyable afternoon. Thanks for the LP macca!

Bigman80
06-09-2018, 19:38
A couple of pics. Krell looks like it's carrying it's young [emoji23][emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/581b8ae5d97a026635961b3bcf4d67fd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/2beb9069a5e0c4ee4e9d32a3288d28f3.jpg

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
06-09-2018, 19:40
Oli also brought the Monarchy SM70 power amp, dinky little thing that weighs like a gold ingot. Swapped it in place of the Krell KSA50S, not a massive amount of difference. maybe a bit less weight and grip but I can tell you, you'd struggle in a blind test provided you didn't bang it up too loud. A really good amplifier.

Not done the comparison, but I did suggest to Oliver that I suspected there'd be more similarities in the sound of the two amps than differences. The SM-70 is a classy little thing.

Macca
06-09-2018, 19:47
We should have tried the DB1 /Spotfire / Krell combo, I suspect that's where the gold might lie.

Bigman80
06-09-2018, 19:50
Not done the comparison, but I did suggest to Oliver that I suspected there'd be more similarities in the sound of the two amps than differences. The SM-70 is a classy little thing.It was a very interesting part. Just the heft as you say and I wasn't totally prepared to experience the shift in scale either. The Krell sounded bigger, probably because it is! But I hadn't experienced that before. I really liked it.

Bigman80
06-09-2018, 19:54
We should have tried the DB1 /Spotfire / Krell combo, I suspect that's where the gold might lie.Macca, it IS where the gold is. I just know we F@cked up not doing it and I'm disappointed we ran out of time.

I can't build another with the Khozmo as I haven't got the budget, so whatever I build won't be the same.

Macca
06-09-2018, 19:54
Not done the comparison, but I did suggest to Oliver that I suspected there'd be more similarities in the sound of the two amps than differences. The SM-70 is a classy little thing.

You've been telling me to get one for years and I know you don't recommend crap but they are pretty thin on the ground. It was very much like a mini-me Krell. Not quite as good, having heard them back to back I'd pick the Krell, but they cost a lot less then a Krell as well, if you can find one.

Firebottle
06-09-2018, 19:55
A couple of pics. Krell looks like it's carrying it's young [emoji23][emoji23]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180906/581b8ae5d97a026635961b3bcf4d67fd.jpg

Love that pic and the description :D

walpurgis
06-09-2018, 19:56
It was a very interesting part. Just the heft as you say and I wasn't totally prepared to experience the shift in scale either

I expect the difference might be less with your speakers. Those Pioneers are a very easy load, so either amp would just be cruising driving those.

Bigman80
06-09-2018, 19:57
[emoji23][emoji23] it just looked ridiculous next to the Krell.

That SQ though [emoji50] both just sounded so clean. The Krell was effortless. The Monarchy was equally as impressive. Didn't struggle at all. I can't help but think a second one would really push the Krell for scale.
Love that pic and the description :D

Bigman80
06-09-2018, 19:59
I expect the difference might be less with your speakers. Those Pioneers are a very easy load, so either amp would just be cruising driving those.The JMlabs aren't particularly difficult are they?

Jimbo
06-09-2018, 20:15
So the star of the show was..the Spotfire cable:lol:

Just kidding chaps, glad you had a good day and enjoyed your respective write ups on the muscle amps.

Macca
06-09-2018, 20:18
The JMlabs aren't particularly difficult are they?

No they aren't unlike most WAF towers. But your Pioneers are super easy to drive and more efficient,

Bigman80
06-09-2018, 20:24
Ah, fair enough. The Monarchy seemed untroubled by them. Very pleased with its performance today.
No they aren't unlike most WAF towers. But your Pioneers are super easy to drive and more efficient,

Bigman80
06-09-2018, 20:29
So the star of the show was..the Spotfire cable[emoji38]

Just kidding chaps, glad you had a good day and enjoyed your respective write ups on the muscle amps.In all fairness, Jim, the SPOTFIRE were very noticeable. I made a comment elsewhere on the forum, that Interconnects can have as much influence as changing a component. That was scoffed at yet today Macca's comments confirmed what I already knew.

The incumbent cables were purchased to match other components from the same brand.

Marco
07-09-2018, 16:08
Good stuff, chaps! :)

Sorry I couldn't attend, as my car was (still is) in getting 'pimped' with a new stereo, otherwise I'd have dropped by. Next time you have a shindig, give me a shout.

Also sorry to hear about your Technics CDP, Martin. Not the most reliable of things, are they?:rolleyes: They sound great when they're working, though!

Some interesting conclusions reached... Certainly a good result for the Spotfire. Nice when something you've built yourself turns up trumps. I'm settled with the cables I'm using now, but it's always nice to know of something else that's worthwhile recommending.

Yes, the Krell is rather good. I enjoyed listening to it last time I was at Martin's, and I agree on the traits you've described. Not heard a Monarchy for years, so it's interesting that it can live with the Krell in many areas.

So, am I also right in thinking that the DCB1 was preferred to Martin's passive, by both Martin and you, and that the latter was considered as sounding a little soft? If so, then it confirms what I was saying recently here about the 'softness' of passives compared with a really good active.

Anyway, glad you guys had a good time and discovered some new things, which collectively is what these meets are all about!:cool:

Marco.

hifinutt
07-09-2018, 16:16
yes thanks for the write up , interesting

Macca
07-09-2018, 16:41
Also sorry to hear about your Technics CDP, Martin. Not the most reliable of things, are they?:rolleyes: They sound great when they're working, though!

Some interesting conclusions reached... Certainly a good result for the Spotfire. Nice when something you've built yourself turns up trumps. I'm settled with the cables I'm using now, but it's always nice to know of something else that's worthwhile recommending.

Yes, the Krell is rather good. I enjoyed listening to it last time I was at Martin's, and I agree on the traits you've described. Not heard a Monarchy for years, so it's interesting that it can live with the Krell in many areas.

So, am I also right in thinking that the DCB1 was preferred to Martin's passive, by both Martin and you, and that the latter was considered as sounding a little soft? If so, then it confirms what I was saying recently here about the 'softness' of passives compared with a really good active.

No not really that simple, it was different rather than better. Although I'd like to spend a bit more time with it and also try it with different cables.

The Techy is off to my tame EE on Monday to get fixed. You got to remember it is 30 years old. I really don't know what I'd replace that with. Very little comes close to it.

Marco
07-09-2018, 17:46
Okay-dokes... I hear ya about the Techy, but my Sony's just as old and not missed a beat since I bought it about 12 years ago - and it's certainly been used!:eek:

Anyway, hope you get it back fixed soon:cool:

Marco.

Macca
07-09-2018, 17:56
My EE is a whiz even with CD players, pretty confident he'll get it back working properly and it should be fine for a long time then.

We could have used it for the bake off as we only played tracks not whole albums, which it still does fine, but it was cutting out at the same time point on every album so the problem should be easy to isolate at least.

Bigman80
07-09-2018, 18:05
Good stuff, chaps! :)

Sorry I couldn't attend, as my car was (still is) in getting 'pimped' with a new stereo, otherwise I'd have dropped by. Next time you have a shindig, give me a shout.

Anyway, glad you guys had a good time and discovered some new things, which collectively is what these meets are all about!:cool:

Marco.From a personal perspective, I felt the DCB1 was better (you would I hear you cry!!)

The DCB1 had better definition, better delineation of the soundstage and seemed to be quicker and I got a sense of energy from ZZ top that was missing from the SA preamp. The SA preamp on the other hand sounded lazy and that defined positioning of the performers that was clearly apparent with the DCB1, disappeared completely when the SA preamp went back in.

As I said, Macca felt some "wallop" returned when the SA preamp went back in but I felt it was colouration and the bass was under less control. The grip had gone to a degree.

The SA preamp certainly improved when the SPOTFIRE went in and the SA preamp got a lot better. Definition improved and that energy returned a little. Unfortunately we didn't get the DCB1 back in either the SPOTFIRE and I feel that would have made things more apparent.

On review, the SA preamp with SPOTFIRE is a combination that I enjoyed. The foot tapped and the head nodded. It's not a bad pre by any stretch.

Like all things hifi, it's only my opinion and as I said to Macca, it's his system, his choice. Neither opinion can be wrong, just different.

More importantly, I had a great time and really loved hearing the Krell again. The speakers are sublime too.

Macca
07-09-2018, 18:25
The amusing thing from my point of view is I was expecting the big revelation to be the DB1 but instead it was the interconnect cables.

I did have some reservations about the DB1 but I'd rather have a longer time to evaluate it before I'll commit to saying for certain. But I thought a couple of times I could hear a little distortion in the bass. Only twice and slight enough to be questionable. I am thinking about getting one to experiment further, so it wasn't that I wasn't impressed. It has potential.

CageyH
07-09-2018, 18:33
In all fairness, Jim, the SPOTFIRE were very noticeable. I made a comment elsewhere on the forum, that Interconnects can have as much influence as changing a component. That was scoffed at yet today Macca's comments confirmed what I already knew.

The incumbent cables were purchased to match other components from the same brand.

I would hardly say scoffed at. For a cable to have a massive difference, the one it replaces has to be pretty crap.

Bigman80
07-09-2018, 18:39
Nope, it was scoffed at or at the very least dismissed.

And no, are you telling me you couldn't hear the improvement between a Sony ES amplifier and your Firebottle stuff? Neither are crap, but the improvements are noticeable. Same as with a cable. That's the point I was making. The changes are comparable with changing a component.

For a cable to make a difference of that level, the system need to be capable of displaying it. Macca's is.

Also the same comment made by Macca without any prompting. From a cable sceptic too!!!!!
I would hardly say scoffed at. For a cable to have a massive difference, the one it replaces has to be pretty crap.

Macca
07-09-2018, 18:45

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I never said 'massive' difference. There was a pretty obvious difference which I know from experience would deteriorate to a tiny difference in an unsighted comparison. But there was still a difference for me and it was a good one.

Gazjam
07-09-2018, 20:07
Music is an emotional experiece, therefore hifi quality is subjective.
”That” song heard in the car that really affected you...your brain did that.

The guy heard what he heard (or felt?) at the time..

s’all good.

Barry
07-09-2018, 22:11

s’all good.

+1

Good post Garry.

Macca
07-09-2018, 22:39

s’all good.

I agree, But I don't just own a decent transistor radio with a good 'tone' , and neither do you.- I like the fun involved in getting it technically better than that even though I acknowledge that 'Brown Sugar' is a killer stone groove no matter what's replaying it. :)

walpurgis
07-09-2018, 22:49
I acknowledge that 'Brown Sugar' is a killer stone groove no matter what's replaying it. :)

So is 'Drive in Saturday' by Bowie.

(actually, I've got a mate called Tone who's got a decent transistor radio, true)

CageyH
08-09-2018, 06:45
Nope, it was scoffed at or at the very least dismissed.

And no, are you telling me you couldn't hear the improvement between a Sony ES amplifier and your Firebottle stuff? Neither are crap, but the improvements are noticeable. Same as with a cable. That's the point I was making. The changes are comparable with changing a component.

For a cable to make a difference of that level, the system need to be capable of displaying it. Macca's is.

Also the same comment made by Macca without any prompting. From a cable sceptic too!!!!!

No, I could not tell you I could hear an improvement between a Sony ES amp and the Firebottle stuff. I have never heard a Sony ES stereo amp. Apart from that mere technicality, I have heard small differences when changing equipment, as well as bigger changes. It depends on the synergy in the system. When cables get to a certain level, the changes are pretty minor. If your cable is the one I think it is (and there is not much choice for one that fits in a KLEI harmony) then I have already tried it. It is a good cable, butI prefer a different cable, and also different plugs.

Part of my original change to the Air was that performance to my other amps was very close. Selling my other amps allowed me to upgrade other parts of my system. I don’t regret my choices one bit, but would be surprised if a cable made a bigger difference. People that have heard my system have said it sounds good and is nicely balanced. Your opinion could be completely different and that would not bother me one bit. After all, I built my system based on my tastes and space constraints.

The comment about having a system capable of revealing a change in cable at a certain level makes me giggle. It is almost implying that my system is not capable, although I know you probably don’t mean this intentionally. I would be interested to know what cable you replaced with your cable. As Macca is a cable sceptic it probably wasn’t particularly good?

You must be doing something right with your cable though, as the majority of the feedback seems positive, but as with everything there are a few exceptions.

Gazjam
08-09-2018, 06:56
I agree, But I don't just own a decent transistor radio with a good 'tone' , and neither do you.- I like the fun involved in getting it technically better than that even though I acknowledge that 'Brown Sugar' is a killer stone groove no matter what's replaying it. :)

Your brain fills in the tone... :D
Especially getting into the car to go home on a wet Sunday afternoon driving home from a girlfriend thats just dumped you for a Spanish waiter she met on holiday.
Turn on the radio for a bit of solace and The Cars "Drive" comes on...

(Not that thats ever happened to me of course....*cough*)

Enjoy a bit of "technically bettering" m'self, all I'm saying is you can still enjoy the music without all the hifi schennanigans.

Bigman80
08-09-2018, 07:19
No, I could not tell you I could hear an improvement between a Sony ES amp and the Firebottle stuff. I have never heard a Sony ES stereo amp. Apart from that mere technicality, I have heard small differences when changing equipment, as well as bigger changes. It depends on the synergy in the system. When cables get to a certain level, the changes are pretty minor. If your cable is the one I think it is (and there is not much choice for one that fits in a KLEI harmony) then I have already tried it. It is a good cable, butI prefer a different cable, and also different plugs.

Part of my original change to the Air was that performance to my other amps was very close. Selling my other amps allowed me to upgrade other parts of my system. I don’t regret my choices one bit, but would be surprised if a cable made a bigger difference. People that have heard my system have said it sounds good and is nicely balanced. Your opinion could be completely different and that would not bother me one bit. After all, I built my system based on my tastes and space constraints.

The comment about having a system capable of revealing a change in cable at a certain level makes me giggle. It is almost implying that my system is not capable, although I know you probably don’t mean this intentionally. I would be interested to know what cable you replaced with your cable. As Macca is a cable sceptic it probably wasn’t particularly good?

You must be doing something right with your cable though, as the majority of the feedback seems positive, but as with everything there are a few exceptions.I certainly wasn't suggesting your system isn't good enough to reveal any differences, Kevin, as we both know how good the FB stuff is.

Fair enough on the SonyES thing, that was the first time I heard the difference so I used it as the example.

The cables Macca uses come from a brand we cant discuss on here so I'll leave that there. Synergy is definitely a thing but he had equipment from the same brand yet when the cables were swapped it was an obvious effect.

There is a lot of scepticism towards the effect cables can have. People change valves and the "improvements" are generally more accepted yet say a cable makes a difference and it's knocked back as expectation bias.

Just frustrating when it's so bloody obviously apparent!

"You must be doing something right with your cable though, as the majority of the feedback seems positive, but as with everything there are a few exceptions"

I'm very pleased with how they have been received, thanks.

CageyH
08-09-2018, 07:50
Ah, if I remember correctly the cables replaced use a base cable that you do not like.

DSJR
08-09-2018, 08:21
The Krell has an input sensitivity of 1.3V for full output. Ok for a CD source, but an old tuner or many phono stages will be pushing it only to medium levels unless the preamp has some gain - may be enough, but I'd respectfully ask it be borne in mind. Also, the Krell circuit is, in this generation (not the earlier ones) I understand, fully balanced from the input and despite it having RCA sockets, it's a bit of a bodged input I gather and the amp won't give it's all if used that way I feel by all accounts - one reason (financial) why I felt to pass it on, as a good used properly balanced preamp would have been expensive (I'd still like to try an ML28 one day as it was judged seriously good when it was current and better than US equivalents from Krell and ARC)

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/404/#K8LFBWXIpc7MJt5z.97

I hope macca gets the chance to try a good quality properly balanced preamp one day with the Krell 50S (if used 24/7, the Bryston BP25 I had would be good and mine had a good phono stage built in too - the Meridian 502 was great sounding as well I remember and more 'spacious' sounding than many on the couple of samples I tried once)

Bigman80
08-09-2018, 10:03
The Krell has an input sensitivity of 1.3V for full output. Ok for a CD source, but an old tuner or many phono stages will be pushing it only to medium levels unless the preamp has some gain - may be enough, but I'd respectfully ask it be borne in mind. Also, the Krell circuit is, in this generation (not the earlier ones) I understand, fully balanced from the input and despite it having RCA sockets, it's a bit of a bodged input I gather and the amp won't give it's all if used that way I feel by all accounts - one reason (financial) why I felt to pass it on, as a good used properly balanced preamp would have been expensive (I'd still like to try an ML28 one day as it was judged seriously good when it was current and better than US equivalents from Krell and ARC)

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/404/#K8LFBWXIpc7MJt5z.97

I hope macca gets the chance to try a good quality properly balanced preamp one day with the Krell 50S (if used 24/7, the Bryston BP25 I had would be good and mine had a good phono stage built in too - the Meridian 502 was great sounding as well I remember and more 'spacious' sounding than many on the couple of samples I tried once)

Sorry, Wrong thread!

alphaGT
09-09-2018, 10:39
I truly enjoyed your review of this equipment! I’m not sure what Sony ES CD player you’ve got there, but it looks exactly like the 608ESD I had for 30 years. I went to shop for a new CD player several times and never felt the need to upgrade it, it was better than most of the newer, highly acclaimed stuff. Only after 30 years it got sensitive, easily skipped, from both footfalls and scratches. Previously it had NEVER skipped ever, for any reason! I priced fixing it, and decided to just buy something else, and gave it to a friend who is still using it. It just does bass right!

And your impressions of different preamps on the Krell have convinced me I need a new preamp. I know mine is not up to snuff, but maybe don’t know how much. I kept it become of all the great features, and lots of inputs, a Parasound Halo 3, not a real high end preamp. But not bad either. I’ve been shopping for years, time to pull the trigger.

Cables sound different! No doubt, but will they be better? Depends on the associated equipment, I don’t think any cable can be better than another comparative cable with every single piece of gear, so many variables at play here.

I also dig all the music you cats were spinning! Excellent choices. But you didn’t tell us what kind of alcohol was being consumed? And if there wasn’t any, well shame on you. A proper attitude adjustment is required for serious listening.

Russell

Macca
09-09-2018, 14:54
The Sony is an EX505ES, I think it was second or third from the top of the ES food chain back when it came out.

Actually forgot all about it until you mentioned your Parasound pre-amp but I have a Parasound CDPi1000 I could have used instead. I sort of prefer it to the Sony actually, or some of what it does anyway.

No boozing I'm afraid. It was the middle of the day and Ollie had to drive back home.

alphaGT
10-09-2018, 17:00
The Sony is an EX505ES, I think it was second or third from the top of the ES food chain back when it came out.

Actually forgot all about it until you mentioned your Parasound pre-amp but I have a Parasound CDPi1000 I could have used instead. I sort of prefer it to the Sony actually, or some of what it does anyway.

No boozing I'm afraid. It was the middle of the day and Ollie had to drive back home.

Parasound has some nice gear, their JC 2 preamp is Stereophile Class A, (I always hated their rating system), they’ve got a huge rack sized phono pre that’s also highly acclaimed. And even this Halo 3 is built tank tough.

Unfortunately I don’t drink as much as I used to either, it usually results in higher volumes! Last time I had a friend over for drinks and music I continued to drink after he left, worst hangover I’ve had in a long time. But the stereo was magic that night!

Russell