PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here own or heard a CTC Garrard Classic 301?

nickbaba
06-09-2018, 14:04
OK they are 3k (for a deck without plinth or arm etc) but they do look lovely...

Made by Classic Turntable Company in the UK, seems like a modern re-build of a classic 301 from the ground up, allegedly incorporating 'the strengths of the 401'.

Does anyone here own one, or could comment on the CTC 301 v a restored vintage Garrard?

WESTLOWER
06-09-2018, 14:42
OK they are 3k (for a deck without plinth or arm etc) but they do look lovely...

Made by Classic Turntable Company in the UK, seems like a modern re-build of a classic 301 from the ground up, allegedly incorporating 'the strengths of the 401'.

Does anyone here own one, or could comment on the CTC 301 v a restored vintage Garrard?

Can't comment on your exact question Nick, but I’ve had dealings with Ray at classic TT co, he really knows his Stuff.
Russ Collinson (The talented carpenter & plinth maker) I believe has one of his new chassis 301s. Worth an email.

I spoke with Ray at great lengths regarding this very TT you ask of, and it’s hard not to see the benefits of such a well thought out, well engineered quality one piece reworked cast chassis. I think the chassis is about £1k then of course
The motor, plinth and arm will indeed mount up.
Anyway a very good chap to deal with and if you contact him would probably point you at working examples out there.
Personally I opted a different route of sourcing a good first run 401 and having Ray service and paint it in hammer tone grey and then Had Russ build me a beautiful plinth. Didn’t regret it.

Wakefield Turntables
06-09-2018, 19:09
He lives 2 miles from my house, still not been to say hello!

WESTLOWER
06-09-2018, 19:10
He lives 2 miles from my house, still not been to say hello!

You should drop him a visit. He’s very interesting and loves his TTs

DiveDeepDog
06-09-2018, 19:25
I've heard one briefly, and would have one if it cropped up at the right price.

Much like rebuilt cars, probably performs better than an original, but it'll never be original/vintage.

Originality is a personal thing, I've seen refurbished ones (particularly cream repainted grey) get put down by purists on FB groups I'm on, yet refinished 'Grails' get heralded by the same people... we're a funny bunch :eyebrows:

nickbaba
06-09-2018, 19:27
Interesting! Sadly I'm further away, down south... but I will definitely give Ray a call for a chat.

As you say, there is also the option of getting hold of a decent 401 somewhere and asking Ray to service it and install his modern chassis... Depending on cost of the 401 that could save 1k or so...
I'd like to ask him about the differences between going this route and a full 'off-the-shelf' CTC Classic 301. I'm guessing the CTC 301 would also have a modern platter and bearing?

WESTLOWER
06-09-2018, 23:24
Yes CTC classic 301 comes with a new bearing and heavy oversized platter.
I think you’ll probably find it has the sound signature of a good Garrard idler but with any
Perceived weaknesses addressed. I would imagine it would be a final end game idler TT.
Looks bloody lovely to boot!

Andy831
07-09-2018, 08:10
Rays a cracking bloke, he is fairly local to me and I dropped my 301 into him for a service which he did prompty without any drama. He enjoys a good old chinwag too so be prepared for a long chat. I saw and heard his CTC 301 whilst there, but very briefly and certainly not long enough to make any judgement against a restored original other than to say it seemed very even handed offering the good things an idler drive seems to offer in terms of boogie and drive.

nickbaba
07-09-2018, 16:59
Well Ray seems to have gone to ground - doesn't seem to be answering his mobile, landline or his email...?

Patrick Dixon
07-09-2018, 18:40
Maybe he's on holiday? He refurbished my 301 a couple of years ago and ISTR that he spends some time abroad.

Andy831
08-09-2018, 08:27
He also has a Motorhome and spends a lot of weekends away in that although that does not explain why his mobile is off.

nickbaba
10-09-2018, 16:41
mmm yes maybe... but he read and ignored my polite message to him on facebook too... bit odd, all in all.

nickbaba
12-09-2018, 21:43
scratch that - now made contact and had a good chat with Ray today

Andy831
13-09-2018, 09:18
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

WESTLOWER
13-09-2018, 09:25
scratch that - now made contact and had a good chat with Ray today

I think sporadic communication is 'par for the course' with lots of Hifi independant trade people!
But they always seem to come through in the end! I hope it works out for you Nick

nickbaba
13-09-2018, 10:12
Thank you. After speaking with Ray I'm very tempted to give it a shot, matched with a Russ Collinson plinth, external PSU and probably a 12" tonearm.

I'm not a collector or an authenticity-seeker - I'm a vinyl-head and a music lover. I'm looking for an idler that'll sound as good as possible, be reliable and comes with the peace of mind of a skilled craftsman signing off on it when it leaves his hands. If it has all original parts or not to get there, I couldn't care less, tbh.

I was also considering a Thorens TD124, but Schopper are over in Switzerland, and I like the fact that Garrard/CTC are UK based and its easy to get service/aftercare etc here.

Plus it will mean that, by accident rather than design, I will have ended up with an entirely British system. Garrard TT, Radford amp and Tannoy speakers.

Vrajbasi
20-09-2018, 06:38
Ray does a fantastic Job indeed and his decks have wonderful power and scale, I like the Audio Grail 301 too slightly different as ray modifies the 301 while audio grail are more sympathetic and most likely suit the collector more. Ray often uses the 401 motor on his 301. I know he has a connection with Artisan in American too and rumours is he often supplies them with turntables. You will not go wrong with either the CTC or AUDIO GRAIL both are fantastic in different ways. What arm are you considering for your 301?. Overall I prefer the 124 but would still by a 301 for its own charms the 124 has a more graceful sound while the Garrards both the 301 and 124 are great thats why many own both. We are indeed lucky to have the likes of Ray and Matt in the uk who can supply us with lovely Garrards