PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Hifi amp engineer based in North London & beyond?

donmarrese
06-09-2018, 13:08
Hi all, I have 4 amps that need either repairing or servicing...and I've been given a few numbers, but I don't fancy sending 20kg (each one) in a parcel...can anyone recommend a service engineer...around the North London area, or along M11 corridor?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

icehockeyboy
06-09-2018, 15:59
What about asking Stan (Beresford) if he can help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AD Audio
06-09-2018, 18:19
Hi, I'm not North London but based in Wimbledon, South West London if that's any help.
Cheers
David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

WESTLOWER
06-09-2018, 18:37
Hi all, I have 4 amps that need either repairing or servicing...and I've been given a few numbers, but I don't fancy sending 20kg (each one) in a parcel...can anyone recommend a service engineer...around the North London area, or along M11 corridor?

David Coe’s your man.

donmarrese
09-09-2018, 18:02
Hi Craig...Thanks for the suggestion...will look him up.

donmarrese
09-09-2018, 18:05
David Coe’s your man.

Hi Adam, Thanks for the suggestion...Wimbledon is a trek from Hornsey...really small line on the map, but can take all day to get to! Got someone in mind...if it doesn't work out, I'll knock on David's door!

WESTLOWER
09-09-2018, 18:14
Hi Adam, Thanks for the suggestion...Wimbledon is a trek from Hornsey...really small line on the map, but can take all day to get to! Got someone in mind...if it doesn't work out, I'll knock on David's door!

Yup, about an hour and a bit from Hornsey / Harringey. A wee trek.

tapid
09-09-2018, 18:51
I know it seems a long way round but may even be better to 25 it Don then up the A3, Davids close to sth Wimbledon tube stn.
Either way not easy. Lenco s going well btw sounding really nice especially after Davids has done some crazily good upgrades to my amp.
Take care.

donmarrese
09-09-2018, 19:13
Hi Brian, good to hear from you..yep, glad to hear the Lencos' still good!
I'll find out if wimbledon is the only choics by 2moro!
Take care mate

harmonica98
14-09-2018, 14:37
As Audio Gold are right on your doorstep any reason not to try there?

donmarrese
14-09-2018, 21:09
Too expensive for me....

Lawrence001
14-09-2018, 21:31
They're oriented to locals with more sense than money. If you would pay £350 for a Dynatron music centre because it looks great in your warehouse conversion flat then it's probably ok. Don't get me wrong, it's an Aladdin's cave with some really interesting stuff but I've never seen anything in there and thought "that's a fair price"

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

donmarrese
15-09-2018, 14:42
Lawrence, I think you meant more money than sense?
I'm trying to be impartial as ever, ok you have ur overheads la la la...when audio gold first started in a smaller shop near the clock tower, kit was more reasonable...now their prices are way over eBay averages...leaves a bad taste in the mouth for us inconescenti...(hope I've spelt that right!)

Edward
15-09-2018, 22:36
I've occasionally got stuff from Audio Gold, but I agree their prices are essentially double of what you would buy from a private buyer.

The owner, Ben, is a mine of information and if you engage with him and he sees you know your stuff will be quite flexible on price. Sadly he is not around much and the other guys who work there don't have much price flexibility. Remember also that you get a guarantee (now a year?) which has gotta be worth something.

Don, there is a guy in Wood Green who does repairs and based on my research seems to have a good rep. I've not used him so can't vouch for him personally.

http://www.tube-electronics.co.uk/amprepair.htm

Years and years ago I had an amp fixed by a guy at Bartlett's (Holloway Rd). Very good repair and not so expensive. Doubt he is still there but maybe they still do repairs?

WESTLOWER
15-09-2018, 23:18
As Audio Gold are right on your doorstep any reason not to try there?

As others have said, because it’s a joke in there price wise and the couple of times I’ve tried to talk to them, they have been patronising and boarder line rude. Not for me.

harmonica98
22-09-2018, 10:46
As others have said, because it’s a joke in there price wise and the couple of times I’ve tried to talk to them, they have been patronising and boarder line rude. Not for me.

Fair enough. Agree I would not buy anything from there, but OP was looking for an amp service - thought they were reasonable for that. Always found them friendly personally.

donmarrese
22-09-2018, 17:01
Update.....I've found a engineer very close to home that has taken one of my amps for repair...he used to do Audio Gold's repair overflow at trade price , but got too busy with his own work so no longer repairs for them. He seems a competent guy and pleasant too.
I'll let you how I get on, and report back.

donmarrese
22-09-2018, 17:25
Hi Edward,

Don, there is a guy in Wood Green who does repairs and based on my research seems to have a good rep. I've not used him so can't vouch for him personally.

http://www.tube-electronics.co.uk/amprepair.htm

Yes, I dealt with this guy about 5 years ago...to repair a preamp...didn't work out for me....my pre was left on shelf untouched after 6 weeks...his place looked like a mad professor's lab: audio kit every
where, with innards shrewn across his benches .. .my kinda engineer!!!
I'm sure he's good, but customer service, nil pointe.

donmarrese
22-09-2018, 17:28
the couple of times I’ve tried to talk to them, they have been patronising and boarder line rude. Not for me.

Same thing happened to me too!

Edward
22-09-2018, 18:13
Hi Edward,

Yes, I dealt with this guy about 5 years ago...to repair a preamp...didn't work out for me....my pre was left on shelf untouched after 6 weeks...his place looked like a mad professor's lab: audio kit every
where, with innards shrewn across his benches .. .my kinda engineer!!!
I'm sure he's good, but customer service, nil pointe.

Cheers Don, good to know.

Be interested to hear of your experience with the other guy you found once he has completed your job. Hopefully all positive as it will be great to know of a local trusted guy.

SLS
03-10-2018, 15:39
This chap in Edgware is very good

http://www.highviewvideo.co.uk/index.html